Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being Fat

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

dublindude wrote:
    Not quite! She was a 12 max.

The problem is, being a 14 is fine if you are tall. But if you're a little runt, you just look like a mutant.

I think too many girls ignore the height factor when they talk about dress size.
    Neither of us is entirely right but snopes (sort of) clarifies this. If the quote they cite regarding a dress auctioned recently, a british size 14 would be a conservative estimate...

http://www.snopes.com/movies/actors/mmdress.htm

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Nice selective editing

Not really. Your post was contradictary and om rather shaky ground, considering you didn't provide anything to support either of your claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Wibbs wrote:
    Amusing or not and while I do agree with you regarding bigger people in the past, the fact is that there were far fewer overweight and even less obese people in the past. The US is a prime example. Look at any movie of a street/beach scene from the 50s and compare it to today. No comparison. Harrods of London have records of clothes sizes going back to the 19th century and they show an increase, especially marked in the last 30yrs. Women in particular have gotten taller with bigger breasts and waists.

I agree with you, but it's not as simple as "people are over-eating and under-exercising" as some make it out to be. There is more at play than that. Women getting taller is definitely something that's noticeable. Just look at our grandparents and see the difference in height. It raises questions on why exactly there's been such a change. Is it purely dietary or is there something else contributing to this?

nesf wrote:
    Is it purely dietary or is there something else contributing to this?
    Interesting question. I know it's provable that we're at our tallest in the morning after lying down to sleep for the night and relieving gravity's pressure on our vertical axis. I wonder if it's something to do with us sleeping/lying down more?

Nowadays most of us lie on a couch to watch television if the opportunity is there to do so whereas our grandparents generation would have considered this slovenly and encouraged us to sit up straight.

I'm no scientist but it seems (somewhat) plausible to me...

nesf wrote:
    I agree with you, but it's not as simple as "people are over-eating and under-exercising" as some make it out to be.
    Would you agree that it is this simple in the vast majority of cases?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

It's supposed to be purely dietary alright.

Diet affects height - kids of Japanese origin who grow up in US tend to be taller than Japanese kids who grow up in Japan, for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭bagdaddy

dublindude wrote:
    Fat means lack of self control.

Little exercise and too much eating.

I find it highly unattractive. Obese people disgust me.

The excuses and depression about being fat make it even worse.

Irish women in general are quite fat. French women in general are slim. Why?

yeah i kind of agree. Fat people always strike me as lazy and peoplw with very little willpower tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭p~b

a bit of cushion for the pushing is good

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I like my women curvy.
    And by curvy I mean thin with a flat stomach with nice breasts and ass.

Overweight women (even if not medically so) is a pretty big no-no for me.

I just associate it with ignorance of exercise, diet and lack of apperciation of one's body. That and laziness.
    Because that will be the case in the vast majority of cases.

Of course weight is just one of many factors in liking someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

simu wrote:
    It's supposed to be purely dietary alright.

Diet affects height - kids of Japanese origin who grow up in US tend to be taller than Japanese kids who grow up in Japan, for example.
    Not to mention todays generation of Chinese are a lot taller than a few before.

Even Europe got a lot taller after the war with the biggest increase in the Netherlands with a mean increase of 3cm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Being fat in most cases arises from your lifestyle, be it lack of exercise, over eating, or a combination of both.

It can obviously happen that its out of your control for either a very, very rare condition or more commonly medication or something that alters the way your body works.

I'm wierd that way, I am two stone over what my ideal weight should be, but it doesn't bother me too much. I'm a big enough guy anyway and while I wouldn't deny that I'm overweight its not like I'm physically "Wow that guy looks fat" or anything remotely close to it.

I can eat healthily for two weeks with loads of exercise and still find it near impossible to loose an ounce of weight. I eat as much as a bar and the weight seems to pile back on. Thats unlucky for me I suppose but that's how it works with some people, be it in this fashion or in reverse and I'm used to it.

As for the physical attraction in overweight people, being overweight never once stopped me from having plenty of female attention. Neither does it deter me from any female unless they were obviously and extremely bad cases. Much like with people of thin build you can get people that do and dont appeal to you, regardless of their weight.

I think much like dublindude says as well that too many people take things as they appear on paper without any consideration for reality attributaries...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

Sleepy wrote:
    The fashion business use very, very thin women because they're like clothes hangers and can wear almost anything without looking too terrible. What people forget is that fashion models are chosen because the clothes look great on them more than because they're incredibly attractive women. Just look at how few of these women appear in the likes of FHM etc. The women you see in these magazines ARE there because they're incredibly attractive and most of these girls would be a size 10 - 12 rather than a 6 - 8.
    I can tell you there isn't that much difference between a size 8 and a size 10 anyway. Additionally, I have glanced through the mag, and the only difference I can see is that those women have bigger breasts than the fashion models. The MAJORITY of girls modeling in that mag look a size 8-10. (Although I'd say they take a size 12-14 topwise because they are big uptop). But that doesn't make them more curvy in my opinion. 'curveyness' is more than being skinny with big breasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Sleepy wrote:
    Interesting question. I know it's provable that we're at our tallest in the morning after lying down to sleep for the night and relieving gravity's pressure on our vertical axis. I wonder if it's something to do with us sleeping/lying down more?

Nowadays most of us lie on a couch to watch television if the opportunity is there to do so whereas our grandparents generation would have considered this slovenly and encouraged us to sit up straight.

I'm no scientist but it seems (somewhat) plausible to me...

I'd disagree. It doesn't seem that plausable to me :)
    Sleepy wrote:
    Would you agree that it is this simple in the vast majority of cases?

Depends, are we talking overweight people or obese people here? If it's overweight then it depends on what you consider to be overweight. If it's only a BMI rating we can have loads of fun pointing out the flaws in that. If it's carrying excess fat, ie visible belly etc, then it gets a bit more complicated. Some people are naturally inclined towards having a bit of a stomach (for whatever reason) and it's always going to be tricky to say what exactly is causing it. Age etc comes into play. You also can't just go by weight. People can vary quite a bit within a height range and the idea of an "ideal weight" for a certain height can be misleading if applied to people with unusually small or large frames.

For obese people, ie seriously overweight not fringe cases, then yeah, it's probably diet and lack of exercise in most cases. They might be naturally inclined towards being heavy but people being 20 stone at 5' 8" shouldn't be a common sight. There might be a tiny percentage of people out there that are like this for a medical reason but the vast majority of them have little excuse tbh.

Madge wrote:
    I can tell you there isn't that much difference between a size 8 and a size 10 anyway. Additionally, I have glanced through the mag, and the only difference I can see is that those women have bigger breasts than the fashion models. The MAJORITY of girls modeling in that mag look a size 8-10. (Although I'd say they take a size 12-14 topwise because they are big uptop). But that doesn't make them more curvy in my opinion. 'curveyness' is more than being skinny with big breasts.
    Well a woman that took a size 8 to 10 on the bottom and a 12 - 14 on top wouldn't really be considered to have the "ideal" hourglass figure now would she?

Abi Titmuss who has been the darling of the likes of Loaded etc. for years now (though I don't see the attraction to dizzy idiots myself) would be about a size 12 (call it an educated guess, I spent over 3 years working part-time in Penneys during school and college).

When I refer to skinny, I refer to the likes of Kate Moss and the whole "heroin chic" look of the catwalk, not someone with a flat stomach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Kazibums

dublindude wrote:
    Fat means lack of self control.
    Little exercise and too much eating.
    I find it highly unattractive. Obese people disgust me.
    The excuses and depression about being fat make it even worse.

Generally, however deeply raciest/sexist/anti-semantic et al. some may feel, they are encouraged to quash these feelings. But being fat? Fat is different as it’s perceived as result of gluttony, lack of self-control and laziness? It is this condemnation alongside the hatred of fat itself that makes some of the views on this thread all the more saddening.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement