Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Science....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

Computers and society - err... yeah. Huh? yes. Much like Descartes who.... huh?

Trinity has gone sociology/society mad. Nearly every course has a module called "The Sociology of [insert course name]".

We have Sociology and its role in Health Care. Our lecturer is mad (in a nice way).

If CS won't take you, pop over to the School of Nursing and Midwifery. The more the merrier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BrenC

hmmm...well i do CS....that is all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

bbrazil wrote:
    You have no choices until 4th year.
    Incorrect, seeing as there are two choices in third year.

also telecomms is the piss easy part of electrotech/telecoms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭The Shol'va

exiztone wrote:
    During freshers' week, the Sci-fi soc told me that half of the Electrotech/Communications was difficult and the other half was easy. Which is the easy one and which is the difficult one?
    Electrotech = first half dead easy if you did physics, second half ****ed if you didn't
    Telecomms = read the book 2 hours before the exam and get a first

And no electrotech in second year, unless you count the odd circuit diagram while wiring up the robot that is sure to break soon... Also, no DLD. I love second year... well, I will as long as Neil keeps getting us extensions :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

Do you do regular expressions and finite automata in 1st year there? We are in maynooth and it's so god damn shít.

• Advertisement

....i'm so tired, my C ****ed me over millions of times. having the worst luck with code this year....

(also i cant request an extension in 2ba1 or 2ba2 til next term at the earliest - and none in 2ba3 - and i doubt stefan would listen - and neither would manzke. i'd say we're bone dry on extensions until after christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭The Shol'va

crash_000 wrote:
    ....i'm so tired, my C ****ed me over millions of times. having the worst luck with code this year....

(also i cant request an extension in 2ba1 or 2ba2 til next term at the earliest - and none in 2ba3 - and i doubt stefan would listen - and neither would manzke. i'd say we're bone dry on extensions until after christmas.
    What about BCPSY? :P

do your own dirty work, i only worry bout BCFILM :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 bbrazil

crash_000 wrote:
    Incorrect, seeing as there are two choices in third year.

Back in my day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kopf

CS is a waste of a mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

It gets me up in the morning. I don't know whether that's good or not but meh.

morning wood?

Kopf wrote:
    CS is a waste of a mind.
    your post was a waste of my mind, try to be less retarded while posting, k?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Kopf wrote:
    CS is a waste of a mind.
    Wow, this is the first time I think I've ever seen you post. Being banned from netsoc give you some free time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭edibility

Some of us have no morning wood to get us "up" marclar ;_; not that the course ever really does for me either..... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭ZWEI_VIER_ZWEI

Personally I think the course is well deadly...I would agree with Nosmo that the maths ain't too challenging..but otherwise it rocks.. 1BA2 is a bit of a joke, though we are actually starting on java now.....finally :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

It's worrying that the JF engineers have done more programming than the CS students. But then again, just goes to show which course the faculty care about more..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

That may be because in 1E3 you just dive in and start writing ****e CPP programs. Also, a lot of CS students have extensive programming knowledge long before they start college.

The more I examine it, for a lot of people CS is almost a vocation like course - people who do it and take it seriously have been tinkering around with computers at one level or another for years. There are a lot less people doing it purely for the degree, more because it's what they enjoy.

Futher, ignoring faculty bias - the School of Computer Science and Statistics is the largest school in TCD and thus is one of the best choices for those wishing to do postgraduate study in Trinity.

Just my €0.02.

Barry - if you choose C or D stream in 3rd year, you will be dumped dead in the middle of assembly - have fun. They tend to dump engineers into coding without much introduction - whereas CS attempts to teach you good programming from teh start.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

haha, 'dump' isn't quite a good word, i've done the engineers assembly, was taught fine(tho didn't go much) and was by enlarge extreemly easy.....

'teach you good programming' what a larf......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

It's worrying that the JF engineers have done more programming than the CS students. But then again, just goes to show which course the faculty care about more..........

Don't make me laugh. You're about at the stage where you can write a while loop or maybe even a fuction. CS Do allot more programming then us, the gap becomes more apparent in second year.

Neil; They dump us into Java but thats only because we're allready very adapt at C++. Assembly is pretty much thought to the same level, if not abit higher, then it is to CS first years.

Ian; The course has got harder according to lads who are demostrating it now, but it's managable.

Sarah; Insert some comment about wood and dildo's

• Advertisement

you referring to the assembly or 2E3 which is the only change i've heard of recently.....

How has 2e3 changed?

I was referencing Assembly. Still thought by Mick but he getting stuck into the more difficult labs much ealier on, and spending less time on fluff. It definitely not a breaze.

i dunno never found it very hard myself..anyway but then i'm a nerd...

And 2e3 is now about graphics type programming....taught by yer man from havok so i'm told...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

Im in a similar enough position to the guy who posted up top, but doing vet in ucd at the moment and thinking of advanced materials in trinners next year. course at the moment isnt doing it for me, anyone here doing that course?? also thinking of engineering or general entry to science cos i have two years of biosciences in vet done

Serenity wrote:
    i dunno never found it very hard myself..anyway but then i'm a nerd...

And 2e3 is now about graphics type programming....taught by yer man from havok so i'm told...

I don't think you're right there, 2e3 afaik is still thought by Glenn Strong, I do know they changed the course based in part to afew chats I had with Mick. I must check this out.

i'm about 99% sure its not ;) , Stephen Collins has it this year...
    http://www.tcd.ie/Engineering/Courses/BAI/SF_Subjects/2E3/index.html

Ha right you are. Apparently they inacted some of my recommendations, Lucky second years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Ironically, I've always wished I did TP instead of CS...

Actually, what are the differences between current 2nd year and previous 2nd year. I'm in 3rd year and want to try doing Schols while (comparatively) mentally stable (last year doesn't count for that reason).

• Advertisement

Wow, this is the first time I think I've ever seen you post. Being banned from netsoc give you some free time?

Oh, it's THIS ONE! (Kopf) How nice.

Advertisement