Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you a thread starter? Why/Why not?

Options
  • 06-11-2005 2:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

People of boards!

It has come to my attention that some people start new threads on boards at the drop of a hat whilst others have never experienced the joy of creating virgin threads and the anticipation of seeing whether they'll take off or not. And then, there is that third category - the thread killer who manages to write a response of such wit/insight/stupidity that nobody who comes afterwards is able to respond. What sort of boards user are YOU then?

Me, I'm a thread starter. I think nothing of starting a thread if I think of some topic I have not seen before in a forum or if I'm looking for information on something. Boards is uasually my first port of call when I want to rant/be enthusiastic about something, as well!

Are you a thread starter or not? 186 votes

I start threads frequently
    0%
    I start threads sometimes
    8%
    Our man in HavanamijuLagunasimucormieDub13steveland?LisapeepsnorlaxCutie18IrelandkjtLe RackSandalsaudgeGauss 15 votes
    I rarely start threads
    45%
    Civilian_TargetKarl HungusMossy Monkbytethe_sycoThe SweeperTurnerStarkScarinaebilly the squidCreamy GoodnessnobodythereChongDrag00n79RabiesradiospanOLDYELLARFlukeypickarooneyAmz 85 votes
    I never start threads
    29%
    OSiriSDaveD-GeneratebeserkerSangrenesforangeroosterGoodshapeMrJoeSoapSprostonGreentmanCalibosChad ghostalXcom2CrucifixSauronRo: maaan!chumpbushmonkeyfudge 55 votes
    I fear starting threads
    5%
    BabyEaterpretty*monstermisswexWaltonsibanezarbeitsscheuerIrjudge1raheny redshockwaveToddyDoody 10 votes
    I'm a thread killer!
    4%
    homah_7ftLisapeepdeisedolly*dream09*DaelusAlvisFeenikusupaintitblack 8 votes
    I'm an Atari Jaguar
    6%
    Karl HungusnesfSprostonGreenRobertFosterCrucifixSarkyLisapeepWertzPrior Of TaizeTar.Aldarionel BastardoGone Westbiko 13 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'm an Atari Jaguar
    I'm not an Atari Jaguar, but I want to be.

I can't be bothered starting serious threads all the time. With several thousand posters, any topic I might be curious about will crop up sooner or later.

Silly threads, however, are another matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

You're only as real as the Atari Jaguar you feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I rarely start threads
    i never think up of good things to turn into a thread

only sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I never start threads
    I'll only start a thread if there's something I genuinely either want to find out about or want others to find out about. I'm not into starting threads to kill time or increase post count or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I never start threads
    Rarely start threads tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'm an Atari Jaguar
    When I need something or want to know something I start threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

My threads are too funny to be wasted on you people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

I never start threads
    I'd say I've started about 10 threads on public boards since I registered. If even. But as you can see I'll reply to anything regardless of how little I have to contribute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Atari Jaguar, yeah that's about right....

Yeah I start threads if I see the need to, not just for the hell of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

roarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

go back to sleep

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭HybridTech

I rarely start threads
    I'm just a n00bie, on Boards.ie anyway. Just look at my post count to see that.

Forums I like are Humour, Puzzles & Quizzes and all the Comp forums hoping to help where I can.

Thread starter? Not really. Posted a few in Humour but met with a lot of hostility. Prob multi-posters with 000,s posted but still found them hostile!! Even responding to posts by others (complimenting them or encouraging them) i met with hostility! So for that reason I'm reluctant to reply never mind post a new thread. A pity as this is a brilliant amenity for all computer users!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Don't worry HybridTech, I've also found a good number of Boards users to be extremely hostile to everything and anything, especially the hardcore addicts of the site. A prime example is the programming forum, a place to go if you have a programming problem which is, apparently, not a place to ask for help to your programming problem unless you want to incur the wrath of the progamming gods....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I rarely start threads
    i only start threads when the topic is really a question or information.
    some threads on the other hand ive seen are just a waste of database space.
    Some of mine are a waste of DB space :v:

But id say some people are afraid to start threads in certain areas.

I rarely start threads
    Good morning Laguna,

Thanks for reply. This is, like I was saying earlier, a fantastic amenity for all, despite the few spoilers. I LOVE this site and am disappointed when a post I've spent time deliberating over is shot to ribbons, or worse a good post by somebody I've replied to, then gets shot to ribbons (this is really the worst!). I firmly believe in free speech for all but also in the old saying "keep your words sweet because you never know when you might have to swallow them!" Afraid to start one? No!

Cheers,
    HT

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I rarely start threads
    who are all these people up at 4am

if i feel that i desparatly need to know something i will start a thread. im not great when it comes to replying to stuff as im not the most verbose of boardsies.

I rarely start threads
    who are all these people up at 4am

Prob the same people who work most sat nights!!! Fire Brigade, Garda, Ambulance, Army, Nurses! etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

I rarely start threads
    i only start threads when they are not completely pointless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I rarely start threads
    Yeah I start threads "sometimes" -- when there's something I want to discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I rarely start threads
    Not sure how many threads I start. Would be able to tell if the damn search function was working. But I'd estimate that around 10-20% of my posts are thread starting posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,791 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I'd say 95% of my posts are in threads started by me because I want to find out information, for example, the computer forum, I had a few troubles with a laptop I bought, which turned into 3 laptops after returns etc and I counted how many posts I started in the comp forum about it and it was about 30, and since then I've probably created another 10 about the same laptop. Same with the motors forum and of course the for sale forum then others like woodcraft/gadgets and that's about it, all asking to be helped or helping others then about 5% is allocated to replying to posts like this:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I'm an Atari Jaguar
    I spose I start a fair few threads...without search I can't be sure.

But I went for thread killer, since going by my subbed threeads page alone, 9 out of the last 20 threads I replied to are seemingly deader than platform shoes...

[edit] YOU SEE?? Now I done gone and killed this one as well :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Is this thread not a bit pointless really??

I mean who cares!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I rarely start threads
    I start threads when there's a need for me to do so.
    No surplus threads, like this one...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I rarely start threads
    TCN and Test tbh :v:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I rarely start threads
    I usually just start threads if something really struck me as thread worthy, and if i can be certain I wont get any abuse.
    I remember the first ever thread I started. It was asking for suggestions about something, and the amount of abuse was quite terrifying for a poor, innocent mind like mine.
    By the way :v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I never start threads
    Half the time I can't even be arsed posting a reply let alone a new thread.
    bleh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

There should be a "I start threads when, and only when, I need to" option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Feenikusu

I'm a thread killer!
    I once started a thread because I needed help, but usually I don't do that.
    I would feel stupid to start thread in an irish board although I'm not irish and my english is too bad, so nobody would understand that thread. Would be pointless.
    And I think no one would answer me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

I'm a thread killer!
    I have never started a thread and like a few others here I don't reply a lot. I'm a quiet one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I'm an Atari Jaguar
    I rarely start threads. Occasionally I kill some accidentally.

:v:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement