Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racism Alive in Limerick

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I think the Alive in Limerick blog is great.
    The Bloke who writes it just has a very dark and sarcastic sense of Humor.

Its a good sight to find (be it negative) news on Limerick and he keeps it uptodate.
    Also he always puts a link to the other sites where the news may have come from
    so even if ya dont like his humor or opinions ya can always click on the links
    to the newspaper articles etc.

He Kinda picks on Lower class areas but I know/dated and have relations with
    people in some of those areas and they themselves refer to scum and knackers.

In my opinion (which could be wrong and flawed) If you utter the word
    Scum and Knacker to the average Joe Soap what kind of person do you
    think will pop into their heads ?

for me it would be the types of tracksuit & hoodie & bling bling weaing
    type people that drive around in souped up Hondas with thick Limerick
    accents that live in "insert whatever lowerclass area here" that have probably
    left school early and have run into trouble with the law.

I know not everyone that fits the description above would be a knacker
    or scumbag but being honsest thats the type of person that pops into my
    head when I think of the words.

It was similar to an idea i had wanted to do a few years back.
    I wanted to make a sarcastic sight based on Scumbags. Not specifically
    about Limerick ones in general. I wanted to have a gallery and decriptions
    of the differnent varients. The gallery to come from various news sources
    where criminals or chaves would appear.
    A bit like
    http://www.chavscum.co.uk/

Over the years being from dressing
    alternativly to the "norm" most of the verbal abuse you got was from knackers
    and scumbags. The site would of been away returning the favour.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

The post about cutting off access points to certain estatets reminded me of an article I read, directed from a thread in the Politics forum on the French riots, in which the author summarises why the French towns are in such chaos.

Here's the paragraph:

"An apartment in this publicly owned housing is also known as a logement, a lodging, which aptly conveys the social status and degree of political influence of those expected to rent them. The cités are thus social marginalization made concrete: bureaucratically planned from their windows to their roofs, with no history of their own or organic connection to anything that previously existed on their sites, they convey the impression that, in the event of serious trouble, they could be cut off from the rest of the world by switching off the trains and by blockading with a tank or two the highways that pass through them, (usually with a concrete wall on either side), from the rest of France to the better parts of Paris. I recalled the words of an Afrikaner in South Africa, who explained to me the principle according to which only a single road connected black townships to the white cities: once it was sealed off by an armored car, “the blacks can foul only their own nest.”

In other words, while closing off laneways may help deter robberies and muggings in the short term, I'd say that it does nothing to stop crime and anti-social behaviour in the long run. In any event, if the laneway was blocked off the muggers would just see it as another challenge and they'd either go over it under it or around it in order to get at their victim... I think segregating whole parts of the city apart from each other just causes harm to the decent people that use the right of way and would do nothing to prevent the scumbags that use it acting like scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

ALive in Limerick is a great site and its more of a news sight than anything else usually its just news from other sources put together nicely I find the site quiet unbiased and a good read and I live in a housing estate myself so I'd hardly call myself upper class

Advertisement