Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racism Alive in Limerick

Options
  • 05-11-2005 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Recently reading the blogger site Alive in Limerick.....The writer of this website certainly has a racist attitude towards ANY persons from any city council housing in Limerick. Its sad to see this individual trying desperately to run down everyone on a working class council estate.

According this this blogger Moyross should be regarded as area to be excluded and enclosed with no way out.....I dont believe the residents of moyross should be gettoised by cutting off public access to L.I.T. This community is already marginalised with regards numbers from this area whom are students of this college. Also the writer claims the L.I.T students must be the most unsafe in the city at night......Does the writer remember the rapes in U.L campus....no where near a council estate....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I didn't think they were rapes in UL, just attacks [or attaches :rolleyes:]

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

A superiority complex this blogger might have, but racism?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Is racism the correct term? I don't view people from Moyross as a separate race.
    The blogger in question is simply a fool though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Yeah that's not racism, it's a social issue rather than a race issue.

In fairness I think that a lot of what she says is in jest. to be taken with a pinch of salt to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Metallicababe

Racism form of discrimination based on race, especially the belief that one race is superior to another. Racism may be expressed individually and consciously, through explicit thoughts, feelings, or acts, or socially and unconsciously, through institutions that promote inequality between races.

http://aliveinlimerick.blogspot.com/2005/11/serious-assault-on-northside.html
    is this the entry you are referring to? can you quote the "racist" bits as I don't see any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Racism is where one discriminates or incites discrimination on the basis of race. Someone passing comments about people who come from housing estates is not racism, it's his snobbery/classist issues.

It's funny though, over the past few years I'd say Thomondgate and Ballynanty are getting to be safer, nicer area's. Moyross seems to be improving at much slower rate.

It quickly becomes racism/bigotry when the writer suggests people to be enclosed like prisoners in their estates....
    it becomes racism when people are unfairly treated this becomes socially exceptable bigotry.

All citizens of LImerick ARE EQUAL.....

• Advertisement

You're not getting this are you? It can't be racism if the people involved are from the same race. Rich Irish snobs and Skobe's as I believe they're called in Munster are from the same race. It's social bigotry

Unless the man is coming out with racist terminology and discriminating people by their country of birth/colour of their skin, you are using the wrong word in saying racism. By your rationale, if I had an argument with my brother who said he didn't want to go for a pint with me in a rough part of town, I can call him a racist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Everything is racism these days, isn't it? Blow your nose in public, that's racism. :rolleyes:

Give it a ****ing rest already!

what is a skobe????

what is a skobe????

http://www.chavscum.co.uk probably describes it best.

I knew some people would get caught up on the word racism.....

IT Can feel like racism if it happens to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭zachler

Firstly, its not racist. It might be snobbiness. No one can deny that Limerick City has problems. Maybe the locals genuinely feel that that path should be closed to keep Moyross people out of Caherdavin because a couple of them are causing problems. Is he just saying in public (albeit anonymously) what others say in private? I wasn't sure he was expressing any personal views anyway.
    The victim of the beating was from Moyross, I heard, and he's not doing very well. Let's hope he pulls through.

Incidentally, if you felt so strongly about his post, why didn't you leave a comment. He usually replies to those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Rubberbandits

A superiority complex this blogger might have, but racism?
    The correct term here may be xenophobia. It is a fear of anything strange or unknown. It could possibly be applied to a dislike of the working classes from a middle class perspective.

The correct term here may be xenophobia.

No I'm pretty sure that's a fear of other nations.

Dr J wrote:
    No I'm pretty sure that's a fear of other nations.

actually xenophobia can be applied where people wish to isolate themselves from people outside their own little group.

• Advertisement

Actually after re-reading it, I don't think its even snobby. He just pointed to a County Council url that proposed closing the lane. It doesn't take a genius to work out why some people might want that done.

I think its just another case of Limerick people being over-sensitive. If we blame someone else - the Dublin media, a blogger(!) - then we can shift focus from our own pretty big problems. He wouldn't have posted at all if some guy hadn't got a serious hiding down that road & I've heard of a fair few people being attacked in the same area.

There's some truth in that Zachler. We shouldn't be ubersensitive to the people in Moyross.

Xenophobia is the fear of the unknown/unfamiliar in general, not the fear of other countries Dr J.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

i think this is getting off the point now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭MikeTyson

ya im from weston, and when i went to some posh shop on the ennis road i bought a 10 box of fags and something else anyway and the cost was 5.76 euro because i saw it on the thing behind the counter and this prick says to me 7.76 euro please and he burned me for the 2 euro i thought id leave him off but later that day i was pissed off because i dont have much money and here some posh fool burnin me for 2 euro which is hard for me to get.. and other incidents like this have happend me before!

Or maybe he charged you an extra €2 because you're under 18 and shouldn't be buying cigarettes in the first place?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭MikeTyson

how did u know im under 18.. and how wud he know i handed him an id!

Date of Birth:
    April 17, 1988
    History:
    a boxer
    Kinnap
    Interests:
    Boxing, music and girls

from your public profile. :)

zachler wrote:
    Or maybe he charged you an extra €2 because you're under 18 and shouldn't be buying cigarettes in the first place?!

give the guy a brea ok. overcharging in shops is not unique to the ennis road. and a person being under 18 is not a good reason to overcharge them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭pleuraXeraphim

Racism. Not sure where your getting that from? Unfair accusation in my books.
    He/she merely states that their was a proposal to close off pedestrian access from the road to nearby Moyross estates. He/She then says that they doubt it would make much difference as the buffer of green land has now been built on. Which is true. There should have been no building on that zone. Its the problem with many estates in the city. Poor planning, with estates being built on top of each other and lacking any decent facilities or access. Unfortunatly there are bad eggs in all estates around the city (more in some than others) which give us all a terrible bad name.

Advertisement