Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 4400

Options
  • 22-11-2004 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭

I thought it was quite interesting, be interested to see where it goes, however skys are breaking for ads in all the wrong places IMO

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭ED-209

I was playing GTA:SA all evening and put down my pad to watch this. Unfortunatly it didn't live up to all the hype Sky had laid down for it. I think it's too early to tell if it's going to be any good. Maybe the next couple of episodes will get stronger as they go on. I really can't see it living past the first season, they can hardly streach 3 seasons out of what seems to be an episode of the X-Files.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 mmbtt

i thought it was rather good, but the amount of ads during it was a disgrace! They didnt really focus in what i thought they would probably do - see how people from the past go used to the modern world and technolgy etc... Instead they focused in on the indivdual casese of 5 different people, who each have something strange about them! But sure, we'll have to wait till next week!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Yeah, it wasn't as good as hyped - but on the other hand it could of been a lot worse. However Mulder and Scully..or whatever their names are, are a predictible coupling. Can't you just see the smouldering, unresolved sexual tension from here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Thought it was good but I was expecting more. Hope it gets more interesting and again, the ads were annoying.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Not bad, it has potential with the different powers, probably a bit more so than "Taken". Each week Baldwin/Mulder and Scully can investigate a different 4400 power/X-Men.

One thing I liked was that they questioned why such a round number - 4400 - was taken because I questioned it as well. Something that'll be tackled I'm sure.
    Also the first abduction that returned was in 1946, just shortly before Roswell, New Mexico occurred - coincidence? I somehow think not (otherwise we could have expected to see people from across the millennia).

We'll see how it goes. 5 episodes this season, with a full second season commissioned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

For the first of a 5-part miniseries I thought it did a good job of laying the groundwork and I'll definitely be tuning in again next week. I found 'Taken' to be such a chore trying to watch nearly 2 hours every week, but I think 'The 4400' managed to stay interesting throughout the 100mins. Some of it was kinda predictable and not incredibly inventive, but I like the visual style and thankfully the only annoying character (the 1979 guy) has been sidelined fairly quickly.

Not an amazing start, but a solid one imo.

just noticed this was my 440th post...sadly not 4400, but still ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Seen the entire mini series, it was screened in the US months ago and i thought it was
    excellent. It has been picked up by the sci fi channel for a full season next year which
    should be good. The first 2 eps deal with the group, then they pretty much devote a
    single ep for a single character after that, show what powers they have what they get
    up to etc. It reminds me of xmen meet xfiles. Thumbs up from me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

yeah enjoyed this show. Some one mentioned a good point about not showing enough of how ppl readjusted...but with only 5 episodes you can understand.

The most interesting characters for me so far are: the guy who was abducted during ww2 and the little girl.(she freaks me out...quote:i dont wanna get my shoes wet...end quote) the downstairs suddendly floods two hours after she said this :eek:

The dude from ww2, well he doesn't seem to have any powers but seems to have a strange connection with the young blond girl....he could be her father/grand father or some thing.

Any who cant wait for next week :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

The first 2 eps deal with the group, then they pretty much devote a single ep for a single character after that, show what powers they have what they get up to etc.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think even small spoilers like the episode format should have tags, I don't necessarily want to know stuff like that before I watch... :confused:
    It has been picked up by the sci fi channel for a full season next year

It's actually on USA Network in the US, which is owned by the same company as Sci-Fi Channel-- NBC Universal. The new season will be 13 episodes to air mid-2005.

The 1st Season is out on Region 1 DVD December 21. It's CA$16.98 on Dvdsoon.com, which makes it just over €10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 r00sevelt

maybe it was just me, but did anyone else think that the homeland securities guy, suede jacket strutter, was a terrible terrible actor??
    his partner wasn't much better....i had no sympathy for their characters whatsoever, in fact i was hoping they would be finished off at the cabin and a new mulder/scully combo drafted in...

all in all it was a pretty good opener episode, kept my interest without revealing anything, which i liked

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

had it Sky Plussed so the Ads weren't an issue. Really enjoyed it and the rest of the series should be very interesting. There's pleny of scope for storylines as there's not only the 4400 themselves but also the whole issue of where they went and who took them etc etc. Considering this was the Pilot episode, it bodes well for the rest of the series as Pilots are usually inferior to the actual series.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

the guy who was abducted during ww2
    Korean war, not WWII :) He was abducted in 1951, WWII ended in 1945.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

thought it was good, but not great. some of the acting is dire alright and I agree that the mulder/scully pairing is so predictible, but maybe there will be a surprising development in due course.
    I questioned the 4400 number too, its what caught my eye in the trailers for it, I thought it had something to do with the bible and the tribes of isreal, but then I had a look and it was 144,000. maybe it's a new age take on the story. (as the Americans like to do)

better be a good ending.

Korean war, not WWII :) He was abducted in 1951, WWII ended in 1945.

Yeah realised that after posting this. Well from the nearly 65 books i have on ww2 i think i can confirm that ur right when u say it ended in '45 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

I've watched this entire series as well.....quite enjoyable but very X-files!! Also really like the way it's set in seattle....perhaps it's the cheap labour in vancouver (:D) but i love that part of N.America!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Just wondering if its repeated at any time during the week?

(Don't have digital)

Amz wrote:
    Just wondering if its repeated at any time during the week?

(Don't have digital)
    It's repeated on Saturday. Check yer TV guide for the time but I think it's @ 22:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Ah grand, thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

i thought it was very cliched/unoriginal (apart from the original presmis of people coming back! rather then being taken...) but then I guess..maybe that's what tv sci-fi is all about, one might enjoy the cliches...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭meepmeep

Anyone seen this?

I missed it the first one - just wondering what people think. Is it worth watching?

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭meepmeep

oh right, sorry :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Threads merged :)

Well, Well anyone see the finalle???

Was quite good even if it took only 10mins at the end to explain the reason behind the 4400 :confused:

Wasn't impressed with the finale tbh. It didn't know if it was a mini-series or series.

I don't care less about BabyGirl and WarDude - their romance seems almost like a forced cliché for how we can integrate and get along and there's hope for us yet etc.... Zzz...

The revelation was undramatic and really not interesting. It's been done before, and is a lot more fun when it's Arnie being sent back rather than a bunch of freaks led by a cipheresque kid mouthing stupid prophecies (hey kid you don't like knowing these things and how it makes you appear different? Here's a clue - SHUT THE HELL UP!)

Even Mulder and Scully seemed to go nowhere. Their characters, promising at first, seemed not to have developed. And yeah you got your son back at the end in a scene filled with enough cheese to have Edam hurriedly assess their sales projections.

Maybe the full season will get better, but frankly I don't see it going anywhere interesting. It really needs to convince me of its worth before I decide that my 4400 special power will be the TV's off button.

ixoy wrote:
    Wasn't impressed with the finale tbh. It didn't know if it was a mini-series or series.

I don't care less about BabyGirl and WarDude - their romance seems almost like a forced cliché for how we can integrate and get along and there's hope for us yet etc.... Zzz...

The revelation was undramatic and really not interesting. It's been done before, and is a lot more fun when it's Arnie being sent back rather than a bunch of freaks led by a cipheresque kid mouthing stupid prophecies (hey kid you don't like knowing these things and how it makes you appear different? Here's a clue - SHUT THE HELL UP!)

Even Mulder and Scully seemed to go nowhere. Their characters, promising at first, seemed not to have developed. And yeah you got your son back at the end in a scene filled with enough cheese to have Edam hurriedly assess their sales projections.

Maybe the full season will get better, but frankly I don't see it going anywhere interesting. It really needs to convince me of its worth before I decide that my 4400 special power will be the TV's off button.

Oh

Wasn't all that bad. Wasn't spectacular though - which kinda sums the whole thing up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I didn't see any of this. What's the significance of 4400 then anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

ixoy wrote:

Sums it up perfectly!

Most of the characters were so annoying I was hoping they would be all killed off

I had high hopes but it was crap, and making a full series will be a big mistake imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭dookie

i watched it and enjoyed it,ignoring a few flaws,but i missed the finale,wat happened?im not DYIN to no but it wud but me at rest.much appreciated!

Advertisement