Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford looking to expand...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,313 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The BS argument exists in most of the city areas and is only really settled in Galway (where the border extends well beyond the urban area) and Dublin (where the county was split in 3 and all the borders redrawn, although some glitches have arisen).

In cork, 57,000 out of 180,000 people living in the continuous urban area live in the county. The county refuses to allow the city to extend its boundary "because there is still building land in the city". Of course if the county didn't zone land on the city boundary, it would be easier to develop that land.

Both Limerick and Clare counties have enclaves on the border of Limerick.

I wonder how the border of Graiguenamanagh lies?

Perhaps they should build the M8 direct from Rathdowney to Thurles and bypass Kilkenny. That'll get a few farmers thinking. I'm sure Waterford would do a deal with Tipperary (admittedly South Tipperary council) trading some mountain to Carrick-on-Suir and Clonmel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

http://unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=9&si=1463454&issue_id=12965
    WATERFORD'S proposed boundary extension into south Kilkenny has received a setback with the launch of a 'people power' campaign aimed at stopping it.

Kilkenny councillor Tomas Breathnach insisted that authorities must now listen to the views of the Confederaton of Community Groups of South Kilkenny.

The confederation opposes the expansion which Waterford has been seeking for over two decades - some south Kilkenny residents have claimed they would move if their area comes under the legal sway of Waterford.

But Waterford insists that the boundary extension is crucial if the booming city is to develop. The River Suir effectively divides Waterford city from South Kilkenny - and, despite the fact that the northern (Kilkenny) suburbs of Waterford have dramatically expanded over recent years, they remain under the auspices of Kilkenny Co Council.

The Waterford authorities have argued that control of areas close to the city is particularly important given plans for a major up river by-pass of the city, including a high-span bridge.

This project is expected to kick-start residential, commercial and industrial expansion of parts of South Kilkenny adjacent to Waterford city through transforming its transport infrastructure.

The above carries much less weight when you read the front page story in Waterford Today which shows the majority of the population within the area in question are born outside Kilkenny.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭Bards

The Munster Express have undertaken a survey of the people in the affected area and they have found that over 50% are in Favour, with less than 33% against. If as we are allowed to believe that we live in a democratic society than the view of the majority will hold sway and the boundary will indeed be expanded into south Kilkenny.

But on the other hand democracy can fail and politics can come into play. So instead of moving Waterford from fifth to fourth in terms of urban areas and the funding and economic growth that comes along with that we can all implode into the waste that is the south east political arena.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Does Killkenny have a CITY COUNCIL? I thought not and thats why it isn't a city.

Well said. Got it in one. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

oh whist!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

BlaaBoy wrote:
    up the deise

Bloody hurling again. That's what has everything as it is. Waterford are useless at hurling, but have EVERYTHING else - the reverse applies to Kilkenny. Other fly in the ointment is people, like trish and old yeallar (and their county fellows!) are living in the 40s.

We in Waterford are a progressive race. It shows all around! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Freddie59 wrote:
    Other fly in the ointment is people, like trish and old yeallar (and their county fellows!) are living in the 40s.

Yes, in many different ways you could have said the same about the Nazi's (look at all the technology they came up with)
    :eek:

Ya know nothing about me how I live where I live etc etc . so keep me out of your little examples .

Freddie59 wrote:
    Bloody hurling again. That's what has everything as it is. Waterford are useless at hurling, but have EVERYTHING else - the reverse applies to Kilkenny. Other fly in the ointment is people, like trish and old yeallar (and their county fellows!) are living in the 40s.

Sure man if they have everything , why would they possibly want more ? :rolleyes:Think about it just for a minute .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

so who gets the final say, some suit up in Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Maharet

Mossy Monk wrote:
    so who gets the final say, some suit up in Dublin?

Well people have two months to lodge complaints, that up to the end of September, the 26th in fact.

Kilkenny County Council then have 6 months to draft and submit a response to it.

The proposal and Kilkenny Co. Co. response will then be both be sent to Dick Roche, the Minister for the Environment and Local Government

He then makes an order on whether to approve or reject the boundary extension, which must be approved by both houses of the Oireachtas.

I think Waterford have time to adjust the proposal, after the complaints and response of Kilkenny Co. Council have been read by them, before it's sent to the Minister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Marcopolo85

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    Sure man if they have everything , why would they possibly want more ? :rolleyes:Think about it just for a minute .

Just think about what you're saying. ;) I'm not saying we need the boundary extension - merely pointing out the gulf that exists between the neighbouring counties.......but sure it might take you a little while to spot that one :D . Couldn't give a toss if we never expanded into that particular 'area'. Only winners in that situation would be SKK.

I presume that you, being a very obviously loyal KK person (and fair play to you) do not availa of any of the magnificent facilities available in the Waterford City. Presumably you go to Kilkenny town to use these? OOOOps - forgot - they don't have them! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Cabaal wrote:
    Yes, in many different ways you could have said the same about the Nazi's (look at all the technology they came up with)
    :eek:

Yep - exactly the quote I was expecting! I think that's the second time we've seen that term used. Says it all about the mentaility abroad in that area. :D

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    Ya know nothing about me how I live where I live etc etc . so keep me out of your little examples .

For God's sake man - grow up! It's fairly obvious where you live:

WTF NO Fing way!!
    Its Kilkenny for christs sakes!!!

How dare waterford corp even suggest moving the bloody boundary into taking over part of kilkenny!!

That's from your earlier post in this thread........hmmmmm....I wonder where you're from.......oh, wait.....I'd say it's KILKENNY!!!! :D:D:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'd say it's KILKENNY!!!! :D:D:D

Don't be so sure..... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

OldYellar is in fact a female of the species.

He/she who mentions Nazis first looses the argument! :D

Mike.

WTF NO Fing way!!
    Its Kilkenny for christs sakes!!!

How dare waterford corp even suggest moving the bloody boundary into taking over part of kilkenny!!

That's from your earlier post in this thread........hmmmmm....I wonder where you're from.......oh, wait.....I'd say it's KILKENNY!!!! :D:D:D
    I infact live in waterford.

Just think about what you're saying. ;) I'm not saying we need the boundary extension - merely pointing out the gulf that exists between the neighbouring counties.......but sure it might take you a little while to spot that one :D . Couldn't give a toss if we never expanded into that particular 'area'. Only winners in that situation would be SKK.

I presume that you, being a very obviously loyal KK person (and fair play to you) do not availa of any of the magnificent facilities available in the Waterford City. Presumably you go to Kilkenny town to use these? OOOOps - forgot - they don't have them! :eek: :eek: :eek:
    sure why do ya think I moved here? Just cant live without the blaa`s man.

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    I infact live in waterford.

Yes - but you're originally from? Never seen a Waterford person feel such a passionate obligation to defend Kilkenny....... :eek:

well you did say you knew where I lived I was just pointing out you were wrong .Ya its pretty obvious I was born and reared in Kilkenny.

• Advertisement

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    well you did say you knew where I lived I was just pointing out you were wrong .Ya its pretty obvious I was born and reared in Kilkenny.

Case closed! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭Bards

Looks like Kilkenny got a bit of waterford afterall, with Kilmeaden (Cheese) going to Ballyragget. It's only fair that we get a bit of south kilkenny in return

Advertisement