Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford North Quays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Gardner

Actually found it there. Gave a quick read over 20 pages or so in the middle of it and I called it many times. Cass failed on every occasion to answer me about the tenders for consultants / potential vendors and how he claimed he was offering 92% of the budget yet the remaining 8% tranche was used as the stumbling block on many occasions. That right wing nut job vriesmays called it also in a few posts. 3 years on and everything he said is actually fact. Well worth a few hours today to read back through it.
    Harry Palmr and Aquos76 have as much egg on their face today as little boy Johnny Cummins with the absolute bown nosing they did to Cass on the thread :)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057719907

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Just an a ad on the radio encouraging people to use the new bridge lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Lads will ye take a cold shower for yourselves. With the infrastructure works redevelopment of the site is certain to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭JimWinters

Building materials have increase massively due to Brexit and COVID production slump. 30% on to at 450m project would add significant cost. https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2021/0508/1217765-construction-costs-rising/

Added to that, COVID has accelerated retail decline and move to online and also hit demand for office space with working from home to become a lot more prevalent.

The project has to change because of all of this. DT said it’s not going ahead as currently constituted. Hopefully it’s still going ahead, hopefully in phases, hopefully it’s not dropped completely.

The council, and Falcon have spent a huge amount of money on this project to date. Let’s see what’s said today...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭jelutong

BBM77 wrote: »
    Lads will ye take a cold shower for yourselves. With the infrastructure works redevelopment of the site is certain to happen.

What infrastructure?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Deise Today. Right now.

Cullinane thinks "plan A" is doubtful but other options available. Councilor Eamon Quinn now on says infrastructure spend secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

sounds like something is still in the plans, so that good, we really do need something to happen there, we need something to drag us outta covid

Walsh briefing council this afternoon so we'll hear something soon enough. It's clear that it's not going to be much like those visualisations and graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Walsh briefing council this afternoon so we'll hear something soon enough. It's clear that it's not going to be much like those visualisations and graphics.

...but at least it ll be something, and not remain to be a derelict site, it also sounds like the state funding is still there for it, which is great, that infrastructure alone will be worth every cent it ll cost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I didn't hear the options proposed, but it would be understandable and probably welcome if the developer wanted to press ahead with a greater amount of residential development than originally planned.

I've long held a concern that the retail space proposed for the NQ could jeopardise the existing city centre, which is already fragmented as it is.

I'm also not sure if the 'all or nothing' approach which appears to be coming across from the developer is in the long term interests of the Council. Perhaps they'd be better off to split the development into 2-3 zones - residential, commercial and public transport, and let prospective developers bid for each.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭dzilla

Rob Cass is on DT atm to say its all still good to go from his perspective. Described Falcon and the council as being a couple about to get married and just having some nerves before they go up the alter.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

dzilla wrote: »
    Rob Cass is on DT atm to say its all still good to go from his perspective. Described Falcon and the council as being a couple about to get married and just having some nerves before they go up the alter.

Beggars belief that there has been no communication between the council & Cass/Falcon over the last few months. Something is not adding up

Well that was interesting from Rob Cass. Sounds like the investment was on a knife edge for a while. Damien Tiernan not helping in that interview jumping about between detail points on the hoof.

Beggars belief that there has been no communication between the council & Cass/Falcon over the last few months. Something is not adding up

Yeah i couldnt really understand all the investment jargon etc but think by his own admittance they had to hold back as when they sign they have a timelimit to get started and the covid construction delays would eat into that. Again that is my understanding of what he said
    Well that was interesting from Rob Cass. Sounds like the investment was on a knife edge for a while. Damien Tiernan not helping in that interview jumping about between detail points on the hoof.

Yea funding from Falcon board of trustees/financiers approved this morning as there was a freeze on it. Again I am not really sure of all the jargon.

Damien Tiernan can be too pas aggressive and eager to get to the point at times and this was one of them interviews where I noticed this. Just leave the man speak and stop nit picking on everything he is saying. Rob made a light hearted reference about "loving his county" and Tiernan picked it up all wrong and pulled him up on it, just sounded a bit awkward.

I do think Tiernan is good for that show however, he asks the hard questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

Yeah i couldnt really understand all the investment jargon etc but think by his own admittance they had to hold back as when they sign they have a timelimit to get started and the covid construction delays would eat into that. Again that is my understanding of what he said

Yea funding from Falcon board of trustees/financiers approved this morning as there was a freeze on it. Again I am not really sure of all the jargon.

Damien Tiernan can be too pas aggressive and eager to get to the point at times and this was one of them interviews where I noticed this. Just leave the man speak and stop nit picking on everything he is saying. Rob made a light hearted reference about "loving his county" and Tiernan picked it up all wrong and pulled him up on it, just sounded a bit awkward.

100% agree regarding the awkwardness he created with that comment. No need for it and set the tone for a stand offish interview. Tiernan then went on to reference a Tom Cruise movie. Bit of an ejit at the best of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Dexpat

Thanks for the update. I didn't get a chance to listen.
    Confusing if Falcon are still interested. WTF is going on?
    More waiting... at least things seem to be coming to a head.

Dexpat wrote: »
    Thanks for the update. I didn't get a chance to listen.
    Confusing if Falcon are still interested. WTF is going on?
    More waiting... at least things seem to be coming to a head.

https://www.spreaker.com/user/wlrfm/deise-today-thursday-13th-may-part-2?utm_medium=widget&utm_source=user%3A11231943&utm_term=episode_title

This is the interview for all who want to listen.

The plenary council meeting is streamed on youtube. Don't know when kick off is though.

https://www.youtube.com/c/WaterfordCouncil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

• Advertisement

Jasus, bad news travels fast out of Waterford doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Jasus, bad news travels fast out of Waterford doesn't it?

Michael Walsh gave his statement to the council meeting just there but didn't offer any real insight to the outcome other than to say that he thinks it's unlikely Falcon will meet their obligations by 5pm Saturday, but that they were also told by Falcon that they would have funding evidence in the form of a term sheet (i think that's what he said) later today, as also stated by Rob Cass

They will reconvene on Monday at 9am after Saturday's 5pm deadline and will make further comment then.

So the question now is, is what Robb Cass stated on WLR earlier correct or are the Council correct in their understanding of where it stands?

The plot thickens!

Fecks sake, I wish the start of this had been better flagged.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Dexpat

After listening to the Rob Cass interview I'd agree that DT should have let him finish his points a bit more. He still seems very committed and was sure the funding was available to deliver the project but seemed worried that the council are about to pull the rug from under them.

I suppose you can't blame Michael Walsh and the council for that after all the pressure that was put on them and the government to deliver their end, only for Falcon to sit on the contract.

One worrying element is that Rob Cass said that the infrastructure funding from the governement was dependent on the developer being in place as well. If that's the case then you'd hope the council have other developers line up if they ditch Falcon.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭E38E3E38E3EE33

I haven't listened to the interview, but from looking at Rob 's twitter feed from the last few months, it seems like he's turned into a Paddy Cosgrave.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭mart 23

I would wonder if Mr Cass and his friends are looking for much more favourable contract terms. They appear to have WCCC by the balls at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

I'm not sure who has who by the balls, but it seems like both sides are grand-standing and playing games trying to get the other to blink first. After listening to Rob on WLR it's hard to know what to believe. I hope it goes ahead as originally planned but you can't blame the council for wanting to give it a kick up the arse either. Hopefully cool heads prevail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

After listening to the Rob Cass interview I'd agree that DT should have let him finish his points a bit more. He still seems very committed and was sure the funding was available to deliver the project but seemed worried that the council are about to pull the rug from under them.

I suppose you can't blame Michael Walsh and the council for that after all the pressure that was put on them and the government to deliver their end, only for Falcon to sit on the contract.

One worrying element is that Rob Cass said that the infrastructure funding from the governement was dependent on the developer being in place as well. If that's the case then you'd hope the council have other developers line up if they ditch Falcon.

In fairness to Cass I'd say he is genuinely doing his best to get this done. Whether the company behind him are as supportive as he is remains unclear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭obi604

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »

jaysus, this thread was started 17 years ago !!

• Advertisement

One worrying element is that Rob Cass said that the infrastructure funding from the government was dependent on the developer being in place as well. If that's the case then you'd hope the council have other developers line up if they ditch Falcon.

I took that to be concern that if they signed off the clock was ticking but with Covid market conditions in place they (Falcon) were not going to commit.
    What we probably need for a quick resolution is a down payment, as a gesture of good will as much as anything.

Advertisement