Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was Peter Griffin Raped?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Makaveli wrote:
    Hey there gorgeous, how old are you?
    18, you're first!

Or when he finds the gagged and bound cheerleader in the toilet.

"My birthday's come early this year"

Is rape funny? no.

Are the above jokes funny? Yes.

Is it wrong to laugh? Probably, but thats half the fun.

Everyone who has issues with this can rent the complete series of family ties followed by the Cosby show.
    if a guy doesn't want to he can't make himself get it up......or can he??

Doesn't want to...............................................................

No sorry you lost me me half way through the sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Nasty_Girl wrote:
    I'm quite young and innocent, so forgive this....But how does a woman rape a man(as in sex in the traditionalsense, not buggery), I understand she could say" Have sex with me now or I'll blow your head off " or in the marge/lois case "...beat the **** out of you" but surely if a guy doesn't want to he can't make himself get it up......or can he?? Don't get me wrong when I saw those episodes I thought "ok, that was a bit much" but personally I think it's just portraying a sexual fantasy the writers have!! ;) and the idea of rape probably never entered their heads!

Unfortunately sometimes guys are a slave to biology and strangely enough women can be too.

That said, you only need semi erectness for intercourse and the legal definition calls for penetration, noone is measuring stiffness, girth or timing the event.

Male rape, man-man, woman-man are on the increase and have been more common than you think since the mid 90's.

They were probably more common before that but weren't and still aren't reported as much as female cases.

Its also worth noting that a large proportion of women initiated male rape occurs in gang format and the victim age range tends to be under 25.

As far as the episode goes, if you were to cut everything out of family guy that could offend, you might be left with 10 seconds of the credits at the end.

The shows tactic is to make a point in a shocking way. In that case I agree that as well as the in-story joke they were probably doing an up-yours to our sensibilities that say "men don't get raped".

I wonder how many guys watched it and went "hahah what a pussy, being taken by a woman" :rolleyes:

Its also, according to Seth McFarlene, more difficult to get away with portraying a man hitting a woman than a woman hitting a man. Go figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Nasty_Girl wrote:
    I'm quite young and innocent,

Incidently, people who start posts with a line like this, especially those with "girl" in their usernames, tend to be 38 year old perverted men who look like snowmen under a blacklight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

syke wrote:
    As far as the episode goes, if you were to cut everything out of family guy that could offend, you might be left with 10 seconds of the credits at the end.

[off topic] a friend was telling me she saw the rocky horror picture show in Mumbai.

They had editted out all partial nudity, cross dressing, and sex.

So you were left with fifty minutes with most of the songs cut and a plot that made no sense whatsoever.

I want to see that version so bad.

[/off topic]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Oh yeh don't forget that joke in another episode of Family Guy...

someone's staying with Quagmire and when she goes out he's left with her "paralysed but trusting cousin" or something along those lines... so ya see Family Guy really is sick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

mycroft wrote:
    Or when he finds the gagged and bound cheerleader in the toilet.

"My birthday's come early this year"

You've got your quote muddled.
    When he sees the cheerleader tied up and gagged in the toilet the line is
    "Dear Diary, jackpot!"

The birthday quote, is the one with the nudist family and the kid is in the mall and the dirty old man (the guy who always wants Chris to dig in his pocket for loose change when he's on his paper round) sees him.

"Get you're fat ass back here"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,394 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Its called comedy people.Jeez. I read such **** in my life.

PC bridage reaches Boards.ie. Please mods close the thread its so far accross the the line of being off topic its a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

irishgeo wrote:
    Its called comedy people.Jeez. I read such **** in my life.

PC bridage reaches Boards.ie. Please mods close the thread its so far accross the the line of being off topic its a joke.
    Err it started off as a thread about cartoons condoning or making light of rape --> a television related subject

It is currently...... a thread about cartoons condoning or making light of rape --> the same television related subject

The only off topic remark was yours.

And why shouldn't people discuss what outrages them about television shows (comedy or not which, yes, is in this case obviously supposed to be outrageous) in a forum about television shows?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

syke wrote:
    Incidently, people who start posts with a line like this, especially those with "girl" in their usernames, tend to be 38 year old perverted men who look like snowmen under a blacklight.

If I was aman I'd know the answer to the question already, wouldn't I? Grow up dyke.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,394 ✭✭✭irishgeo

SteveD wrote:
    Err it started off as a thread about cartoons condoning or making light of rape --> a television related subject

It is currently...... a thread about cartoons condoning or making light of rape --> the same television related subject

The only off topic remark was yours.

And why shouldn't people discuss what outrages them about television shows (comedy or not which, yes, is in this case obviously supposed to be outrageous) in a forum about television shows?

its a cartoon!

Rape is a crime but making light of one is not. Its a cartoon character and nothing was shown to make it look like rape took place.

The thread has gone down hill as the post above this is clearly personal and off topic.

If i was mod of this forum, the thread would be closed and the person starting it banned for being stupid enough to post it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Jackpot! gigdy gigdy g

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

irishgeo wrote:
    its a cartoon!

Rape is a crime but making light of one is not. Its a cartoon character and nothing was shown to make it look like rape took place.

Peter told Lois that he wasn't in the mood, can't remember what she said but I think it was pretty much along the lines of telling him tough luck, next morning Peter was visibly distressed.
    This would indicate to me that a rape did take place.

All I was lookinf for was to know other peoples opinions on it .... after all isn't that what boards are for? to exchange opinions and views?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Nasty_Girl wrote:
    Grow up dyke.

That's right, I went there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

trolls.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I'm completely boggled here...

What exactly is the problem!?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Cactus Col wrote:
    So was Peter raped?

And should rape be funny?
    a) As someone already said in the thread Peter doesn't specially say he was raped. He says "Last night Lois was the man." I think what the show is trying to get across is that Lois took charge in the sex the night before not and this is what upset Peter, not that Peter was upset because he was raped.

I certainly never thought that Peter had been raped in the many times I've seen the episode.

b) I personally wouldn't be one to set boundries on taste. I think anything can be funny given the right context. In other Family Guy episodes much light is made of something as serious as spinal injury. For example:
    JS:"Ironically I severed his spine when I landed one him."
    PG:"Guess you'll be having a bit more competition at the next special people games."
    JS:"No he's dead."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

I think this thread has gone far enough. :rolleyes:

Thread Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement