Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Message bating

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭stuey

ya see we are not that bad. we are just a bit hyper and excited. well calm down. were like a child with a new toy at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Yep, Ive come to the same conclusion.

Youve reached arrays in Computer Programming I see, nows when the fun starts! People start to struggle badly quite fast now.

Draupnir wrote:
    Yep, Ive come to the same conclusion.

Youve reached arrays in Computer Programming I see, nows when the fun starts! People start to struggle badly quite fast now.

Thanks for that Draupnir. I missed 3 lectuers and now we have arrays. Your right the fun does really start now

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Blimey! Is this common in all classes?

In my 3 years in DCU I've never seen this type of thing happen. Perhaps it's because the Sports Science classes are smallish, but at the same time we're not all best buds or anything. Maybe we just haven't discovered the joys of spamming people to get our points accross.

*shrug*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

our list is very well behaved, except for the odd time when people find the little box that dcu have so mischievously provided where you can put in an email address and it'll send the mail with that address shown as the sender :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Oh yeah I spotted that alright, never crossed my mind to cause trouble with it though ... Meh! Too lazy ...

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

It crossed my mind.

And flew away with the wind...

I think you should have kept that info to yourself.

Me thinks people might use it now

No, I think most people aren't actually retarded enough to think that they won't be kicked out of the college for impersonating someone.

Because the DCU staff aren't idiots, they can trace the emails no problemo.

most people aren't idiots but some people you know!!!

• Advertisement

Well those some people deserve whatever's coming to them then;

you reap what you sow.

It should be quite apparent to everyone in CA1 at least that the college authorities aren't taking any childish nonsense from people.
    I *REALLY* thought that when I got into college those people whould have been left behind :/ .

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Right well I think the list was brought to my attention yesterday and my God. What on earth?!

It happened back in my day, same year as Draupnir, but not at all on that scale. There was most definately no one person picked out and targetted. Now for some reason many of the people dealing out the abuse thought it was hilarious. Maybe being at this stage in my degree gives me a different outlook on things but it didn't look one bit funny, not at all.

Let me also make it clear that the people who did it in my day had to formally apologise to the class and were brought in front of the disciplinary board. This really REALLY is not something you want. Lecturers will not look fondly on those with a HUGE black mark on their records.

Another very important point is that if an employer in the future does a search for your name these sorta e-mails will come up. I can't remember who said it but it was one of our lecturers in the not too recent past.

It's quite true though. I've googled my own name, as you do when bored, and I've found it appearing in e-mails I sent in first year.

These are the sorta things that you've to keep in mind these days. The question is would an employer bother? Well I'd say yes it's quite likely. More than likely they wont have to do that much. A simple program that retrives all data that might pertain to a certain name. A quick browse through... "Aaah DCU. That sounds about right. Hrm... Some... Strange and not too pleasant looking messages/comments here." You see where I'm going?

I don't think we've gotten any class mails this year aside from lecturers and the odd class rep mail. Don't think I've seen any of that sorta spam or other since 1st year, thought there may have been a thing or 3 in 2nd year.

On a completely unrelated note... Yah 1,000 posts! Took me long enough.

halenger wrote:
    Let me also make it clear that the people who did it in my day had to formally apologise to the class and were brought in front of the disciplinary board.

Oh yeah that did happen. They all got a bollocking. But there is now more uproar. Saruanas was not called into disciplinary board (as far as i know please correct me if im wrong). The people who did not get called in, as well as those that did get called in (of course) feel that this is totally unfair.

If Saruanas was called in I think we should all try to get along once and for all. If not i dont think it will be damaging to the class

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

I'm in CA1 and but I wasn't envolved in the spam, three of my mates were though and their log on accounts have been banned for two weeks starting yesterday, they can't do the labs and we have an architecture test next thurs and tbh i dont know wtf they are going to do ha ha. But eh it was a bit harsh. A small fine is also being imposed.
    Sorry if its a bit irrelevent but I wasn't bothered reading all the previous posts, and Saranus, spam is not the end of the world, and i agree some of those emails were a bit offencive but you asked for it and who cares what other years think of ours, i reckon you care though a bit of a lick ass me thinks .
    Thats all

Finally a fellow CA1 man that agrees with me. Have a rep point my fellow nerd

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Why dont ya all just stop spamming mailing lists and play Virtua Tennis for god sake!

i actually saw you guys playing today. were you in L118 (four of ye) at about midday. i was sitting beside the guy who kept hitting his head of the table cause he aint doin so good.

The college doesn't give a flying fnck what a group of first years think is "a bit of craic", "nothing serious" or otherwise; they care about how it is percieved publically (the list being publically available and read by the lecturers).

Even if Sarunas had just laughed at the whole thing it wouldn't have made any difference, the college has to be seen as having a zero tolerance policy on this type of thing.

I feel like I'm beating a dead horse here; this isn't secondary school.
    You're supposed to have enough grey-matter between your ears to compose yourself like a civilised person at this stage.
    I mean really, if a group of people did that in a workplace, what do you think would happen?

CuLT wrote:
    Even if Sarunas had just laughed at the whole thing it wouldn't have made any difference, the college has to be seen as having a zero tolerance policy on this type of thing.

I feel like I'm beating a dead horse here; this isn't secondary school.
    You're supposed to have enough grey-matter between your ears to compose yourself like a civilised person at this stage.
    I mean really, if a group of people did that in a workplace, what do you think would happen?

First of all I want to make one point very clear. I was not invloved with any of this. I was simply commenting on what was going on. I think your getting at the wrong person.

The fact the Sarunas is making a huge difference to the class already. And its doing no good for Saruanas in the slightest. He should get the same talk everybody got. Nothing less. Your talking about what our public image. I think the public (if they cared) would want both parties to be warned and punished equally. dont you think.

Oh yeah and I've seen this stuff happen in a very well known Irish Company and 1) it didn;t go down well at all. 2)there was uproar among the staff. 3)everybody that got involved got disciplined.

An eye for an eye

You know, I actually thought for about 5 minutes last night before deciding not to add "this is not a dig at either stuey or -oRnein9-", I thought you'd just assume I wasn't referring to you.

I've read your post both here and on the discussion board, I'm aware of your stance on this, and I understand where you're coming from, but I still believe that while Sarunas was rude, he was hardly abusive, and that's where the difference in "discipliary action" is.

• Advertisement

I dont know why you wouldn't add that to your reply. It would make perfect sense and would make your already excellently formulated arguements just a bit better.

The reason why I think he should have been disciplined, is actually, believe it or not, for his sake. If two guys got in a fight in school and one of them didn;t get a tellin off the other will always have a grudge. Obviously someone has to start the fight and someone ends up the victim but it is better for both parties that they both get a telling off. Purely for the sake of getting over it and moving forward.

At the moment a grudge against Saruanas is evident in some members of the group

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

stuey wrote:
    The reason why I think he should have been disciplined, is actually, believe it or not, for his sake. If two guys got in a fight in school and one of them didn;t get a tellin off the other will always have a grudge.
    As long as the muppetry on the mailing lists stop, the staff won't care if anyone is holding a grudge. This is college, it's not like they'll be waiting for him at the gates to steal his lunch money. So a couple of people won't like him because of the incident, I doubt he cares. There are 150 people in the class, you could have 100 of them hating you but still make lots of friends and have a great 4 years.

Advertisement