Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Message bating

Options
  • 12-11-2004 2:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

I just checked my mail today and there was about 50 mails. The thing is it was all just one big slagging match which eventualy turned on a guy called Sore Anus (well thats what we call him) cause he called the whole class a bunch of idiots+hes in the class as well. neway I did think it was all quite funny. The way he dug his own grave but jeysus christ, the whole class just sent outs so many mails bating the sh*t out of him. I thought it was funny but i think it went a tiny bit to far. Now the class rep is threating action. Has this ever happened to any other class\year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I used to hate those stupid lists.

All these people who never used email before [like really my god, your doing CA for christ sake] would get one of those 'funny' emails from about 4 years ago then forward them on to the whole list. Used to fill up my inbox with crap/

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

stuey wrote:
    I just checked my mail today and there was about 50 mails. The thing is it was all just one big slagging match which eventualy turned on a guy called Sore Anus (well thats what we call him) cause he called the whole class a bunch of idiots+hes in the class as well. neway I did think it was all quite funny. The way he dug his own grave but jeysus christ, the whole class just sent outs so many mails bating the sh*t out of him. I thought it was funny but i think it went a tiny bit to far. Now the class rep is threating action. Has this ever happened to any other class\year
    Actually, it was about 8 muppets who kept mispelling their insults.

Really now, 25% of the class got ZERO in a test where all you had to do was divide a number, display it and you'd get 33%. Rocket science, it was not.

Sarunas (who is a member of boards.ie and will undoubtedly read your post) was a bit vocal, but he wasn't lying; from what I can gather, the general opinion that the tutors have of our year is "a bunch of retards", which, as a general description, is pretty accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Big City Smaug

It was the exact same last year, annoying I know.
    Take solace in the fact that this is one of the few problems in life that will inevitably solve itself. ;)

Also, how does one get 300 points without being able to divide?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

i think the problem is they didnt know how to get the COMPUTER to do it :)

Oh right! :)

Was worried there for a second.

• Advertisement

/me only got 325 points, but still manages to compile infinite loops in Java ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

If I opened my inbox and found 50 e-mails for a stupid reason like that, I'd be threatening action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭stuey

I do think that
    1. from talking to the people who sent the mails - they do regret it.
    2. Sarunas was being a bit of an idiot. Do not get me wrong everybody has the right to voice there opinion. But you dont come to a new enviroment where your trying to settle in and make firnds and then go out and say "this class is full of idiots"

Me, being one of the most relaxed people you'll ever meet. Isn;t really bothered by spam at all. There are far more important matters than a bit of stupid mail. What does anoy me is when people exagerate a situation. Another person put a message saying "I spent 20 minutes deleting mails that I got today" It took me 5 minutes to sort through 300 mails today. People are getting far to uptight. People need to chill out and just enjoy college imo. There is no need for someone to try and ruin it all.

P.S I only got 380 points cause im so laid back, D3 in hon english. excuse the spelling mistakes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Sarunas

stuey wrote:
    2. Sarunas was being a bit of an idiot. Do not get me wrong everybody has the right to voice there opinion. But you dont come to a new enviroment where your trying to settle in and make firnds and then go out and say "this class is full of idiots"

Excuse me? From what was going on the mailing lists from very start of the year, gives an impression that the "class is full of idiots", doesnt it? or maybe you are not "bothered by spam at all." because you actually like having annoying mails like "MARK LEECH HAS A FACE LIKE A WELL SMACKED ARSE!!!!!" or "Robbie has a face like a melted welly!!! ha ha!!!!" in your mailbox? Sure you can delete it easily, or even block the sender, but why everyone has to read it? do majority of the class want to read it? it wastes and abuses the mailing list service, just because few childish people are having a piss.

I might have made few people not to like me, and maybe motivated them to send even more spam just to take a piss or have a laugh. I realised that my reply to John Reidy's email about spamming just done that, and I did send an aplogy to all of those who seemed very offended by me calling them "few idiots and trolls" an hour or so later and sending it to the list too, but few people rather than accepting the aplogy and getting it over with, decided to be even more childish and make more deal out of that it was actually was, isnt that true? Like what is the point of this message:

"You can go shove ur apology up ur ****in arse. GO change ur shirt. It must reek by now.
    Viva les REvolutione"

I dont mind (or i dont think anyone else does) to receive funny emails, like the jokes about DCU, UCD, and i think it was a ucc students. or some link to funny pics or a video. As long as it is mature and has some content to it, and doesnt annoy or offend other people who will be reading it.

If few people want to slag each other, do they have to send it to the list? so anyone within the uni or outside could see it. Like the people who literary, went mad, on the list, they just made a fools out themselves to a whole our year and other years too, and ofcourse the academic staff.

They also wasted an afternoon of John McKenna's( he is out year head) and possible Charlie Daly's, Ray Walshe's, Howard Duncan's (who is chair person of CA progamme board), and ofcourse Heather Ruskin's who is head of school. Because, "CA1 Mailing List Abuse" message was also CC'ed to them. And I doubt that they will ever forget it.

Yes, I might have been an idiot, because of my rather short temper, and I apologised, but did they have to take it so foolishly and childishly?

Take Graham O'Connor as an example, and im not picking him for any particular reason, but the guy have been banned from #lobby on redbrick numerious times, just because he was spamming, and rather he was trying to insult people. Like did it have to come to this what hapenned on thursday?

For others who aren't ca1, they can see what hapenned here, http://list.dcu.ie/pipermail/ca1/2004-November/thread.html

Regards,
    Sarunas

Igy wrote:
    i think the problem is they didnt know how to get the COMPUTER to do it :)

/me thinks of a crontab'ed (say once every minute) shell script. ;)

• Advertisement

Sarunas wrote:
    If few people want to slag each other, do they have to send it to the list? so anyone within the uni or outside could see it. Sarunas

You were the person who originally sent a mail to the list. Slagging them off.

As a freind of Grahams I think that you shouldn;t have had singled him out. But that doesnlt really bothered me. Graham has done a surprising large amount for the class. He has set up a indoor football team, and invited everyone including you to take part. He like a good few other poeple out there, including myself are out there to have fun. We never judged you. You judged us.

It was said before "Boyz will be boyz". A lot of people espically myself dont want to grow up and be " all mature". They want to go out and live life to the max. Getting all up tight about spam is a waste of time. I've worked witha lot of charites in my time and I've realised that most of things people b*tch about are not worth it. Being all mature is not the way to do it. Thats not to say they are not doing there bit. They always turn up for lectures. They all do there assignments and get them right.

You may think the class if full of idiots. But these are the people that you are going to have to spend the next 4 years with. A bit of common sense wouldn't go far.

stuey wrote:
    You were the person who originally sent a mail to the list. Slagging them off.

As a freind of Grahams I think that you shouldn;t have had singled him out. But that doesnlt really bothered me. Graham has done a surprising large amount for the class. He has set up a indoor football team, and invited everyone including you to take part. He like a good few other poeple out there, including myself are out there to have fun. We never judged you. You judged us.

It was said before "Boyz will be boyz". A lot of people espically myself dont want to grow up and be " all mature". They want to go out and live life to the max. Getting all up tight about spam is a waste of time. I've worked witha lot of charites in my time and I've realised that most of things people b*tch about are not worth it. Being all mature is not the way to do it. Thats not to say they are not doing there bit. They always turn up for lectures. They all do there assignments and get them right.

You may think the class if full of idiots. But these are the people that you are going to have to spend the next 4 years with. A bit of common sense wouldn't go far.

How did I slag them off?

I didnt mean to single out Graham, i just refered to him as an example.

You seem very biased to me, "You judged us." how did I? who started the whole spamming thing? And who called names and other stuff, and did you see an email from me which is referring to you, Graham, or any other people directly? Few people were already getting tired of the spamming thing, its just for some reason few people took my reply to the heart. I would suggest you would read the whole thing again.

I dont think the class as full of idiots, but just few people (who seemed to be idiots juging their behaviour on the list before) seemed pretty much representing the whole class. Actually, there are few people that in ca1 which are many times smarter than me. No matter how many smart people there are in the class, people will notice the misbehaving people first, eventually all others.

Im already tired of this whole thing, it already wasted plenty of my time and others, and i did apologise for starting it. people who spammed apologised. so lets get it over with and leave it behind!

stuey wrote:
    these are the people that you are going to have to spend the next 4 years with.

ROFL.

Unless people get their sh1t together, all I can say to this is "un-fu-ck-ing-like-ly".

Also I believe the indoor football team was used as a method of ganging up on someone who wasn't a member; not very construcive to class "teamwork".
    It was said before "Boyz will be boyz". A lot of people espically myself dont want to grow up and be " all mature". They want to go out and live life to the max.

What on earth do you intend to do for the rest of your life?
    Actually getting through a college course will require maturity. I'd go as far as to say that's the POINT of college.
    You can skip all the lectures you like and just spend the days having fun, messing about in soc's and drinking seven days a week;

But in the end it's that sort of attitude that'll leave you confused at the end o f the year as to why you'll be repeating. This isn't school, almost every class matters and if you screw up you don't just go on to the next year a few classes down.

CuLT wrote:
    ROFL.
    Also I believe the indoor football team was used as a method of ganging up on someone who wasn't a member; not very construcive to class "teamwork".

I have to say that is the biggest load of b*llocks I have heard in ages. Who would ever do that. All the members made a class invite to anybody who wishes to join. Think about what you just said. It sounds so stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Do you think when the team was formed they said "secretly this is no football team, we are just going to gang up on those who didn;t join.

I didn't join did they gang up on me. Nope.

I have to say that is the most stup*d idea I have heard in so long.
    What on earth do you intend to do for the rest of your life?

I intend to have as much fun and help as many people as possible. I have lived by that for the last year and a half and life has never been better for me. I can not think of a time in my life when I was happier. Can u say that?

stuey wrote:
    I have to say that is the biggest load of b*llocks I have heard in ages. Who would ever do that.

It's quite cleary there in the messages; "The Penetrators" being used as a symbol to get behind insulting Sarunas.

Everyone appears to be rather sheepish at this stage over the whole affair though.
    I intend to have as much fun and help as many people as possible. I have lived by that for the last year and a half and life has never been better for me. I can not think of a time in my life when I was happier. Can u say that?

Well, gee aren't you just a swell guy?
    guy called Sore Anus (well thats what we call him)

Oh... wait...

HOLY CR*P you really must be taking the p*ss. He was called Sore Anus by some randomer in the class. Nobody knew how to pronounce his name and nobody does still. The neame the penetrators was made up in the first week!!. The week after the whole introduction thing. I really can not believe that 10 guys joined a team just to slag of people. Everybody recomends that when you go to college you join a club or something. That is just what these guys were doing!!!!!!!!!!

He's one of the few people you find who doesn't really care how you pronounce his name, I believe he pronounces it "Sha-roo-nas", I pronouce it "Saa-roo-nas".
    Calling him "Sore-anus" is not only childish, but highly offensive.

And it wasn't "some random guy". You did it in your first post. AND you claimed that "we" did it, as to imply the class did.
    I really can not believe that 10 guys joined a team just to slag of people.
    Obviously.
    That doesn't mean that it can't be used as a banner to operate under.

as an analogy, religion's didn't start with the intention of warring over beliefs, it just happened along the way.

Im sure that the name "The Penetrators" has nothing to do with bullying. The notionboggles the mind. It is a childish funny name for a team. I remember graham telling me "its cause we penetrate there goal". Its football all it is is a laugh. It was a succuesful attept for people who didn;t know each other to come together play football twice a week and to get to know each other and have a laugh. A laugh at nobody elses expense

stuey wrote:
    Im sure that the name "The Penetrators" has nothing to do with bullying. The notionboggles the mind. It is a childish funny name for a team. I remember graham telling me "its cause we penetrate there goal". Its football all it is is a laugh. It was a succuesful attept for people who didn;t know each other to come together play football twice a week and to get to know each other and have a laugh. A laugh at nobody elses expense

I couldn't care less what the team's name is, it could have been the "Fluffy Clowns" for all the difference it makes to my argument.

so do u stil think that a team was put together with the intention of bullying people who are not on the team. The only people they bully is poeple on toher teams for chr*st sake!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

As a man with a name that sounds similar to an unsavoury part of the human anatomy, I must protest the name calling too. Insults phonetically similar to a persons name suck. There, I've said it.

stuey wrote:
    so do u stil think that a team was put together with the intention of bullying people who are not on the team. The only people they bully is poeple on toher teams for chr*st sake!!
    Could you PLEASE put a little bit more attention to detail in writing your posts, the odd spelling mistake is alright but I shouldn't need to consult the Enigma to understand what you're saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

you shouldn't insult toher poeples spelling cult!

Sarunas wrote:
    /me thinks of a crontab'ed (say once every minute) shell script. ;)
    no no, its every 30 mins actually ;)
    /me loves his heylog

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

sionnach wrote:
    you shouldn't insult toher poeples spelling cult!
    you spell not good

On a more serious note, we had the same problem last year with people spamming the ca1 list with random crap... its completely stopped this year... mainly because most of the spammers didn't make it into second year... or they grew up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

heres the mad thing about this years first years, you can notice them a mile away, im a fourth year, so this is the third year ive been around for new first years arriving, ya couldnt tell last year or the year before who the first years were.

this years bunch stick out like a sore thumb, wrecking everyones head in the labs and generally acting the sap. (sorry to tar everyone with the same bunch).

i will admit that me and my mates have on a couple of occassions over our four years gone a bit wild in the labs but never with the regularity of the new first years. SO LOUD and ANNOYING. people doing projects people, projects that count!

sort it out folks.

right now I dislike everyone in CA1 cos theyve pissed me off royally this last two weeks. everyone except the hot little red head girl I saw today in L125, if thats you, send me a PM! a/s/l?

Indeed the CA labs have become a wretched hive of scum and villainy as of late, hahahahaha.
    But star wars references aside, l125 has hot little red heads now?
    Were beer goggles involved? ;)

I read through some of the earlier posts cos I was bored and that stuey chap was slightly amusing.
    I would read through cults excellently written posts more than once my friend and not just for the literary pleasure either.
    Incidentily I'm sure those nice football playing dudes appreciate you sticking up for them but if their behaviour interferes with other students and makes their university time less pleasant shouldn't they give it a rest, period?

Common decency like.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Draupnir wrote:
    heres the mad thing about this years first years, you can notice them a mile away, im a fourth year, so this is the third year ive been around for new first years arriving, ya couldnt tell last year or the year before who the first years were.

this years bunch stick out like a sore thumb, wrecking everyones head in the labs and generally acting the sap. (sorry to tar everyone with the same bunch).

i will admit that me and my mates have on a couple of occassions over our four years gone a bit wild in the labs but never with the regularity of the new first years. SO LOUD and ANNOYING. people doing projects people, projects that count!

sort it out folks.

right now I dislike everyone in CA1 cos theyve pissed me off royally this last two weeks. everyone except the hot little red head girl I saw today in L125, if thats you, send me a PM! a/s/l?

The fourth years and a bunch of saints either. There is one group who do nothing but play Virtua Tennis or some crap all day and sit roaring at their own shíte jokes and the latest porn spam that has rrived on the planet. These guys are nothing but a fúckin plague, and I can't for the life of me imagine how the hell the got as far as fouth year.

I'm sure those nice football playing dudes appreciate you sticking up for them but if their behaviour interferes with other students and makes their university time less pleasant shouldn't they give it a rest, period?

Common decency like.

I would not stick up for them if I thought they were out there just to make people lives a misery. Because that is just not on. I have experienced people like that in secondary school (you know who you are) who go out to make peoples lives crap. Hell I experienced it myself in primary school on a big scale. I was bullied big time.

It is inevitable that people will slag each other. It’s insecurity. Men do it all the time. Its natural. But there is the friendly slag and the other type of slagging. The slaggin that offends people. Sarunas made the mistake of slagging of the whole class, his class, by calling them a bunch of idiots. This was a big mistake and he admits that. But because of his actions there have been serious repercussions in the class. People have been banned from the lab for 2 weeks and there cards taken off them.

I think people need to cop on. Were gooing to have to spend the next 4years together as a class. This is not the way to do it

And thank god the spammin has stopped

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

dregin wrote:
    The fourth years and a bunch of saints either. There is one group who do nothing but play Virtua Tennis or some crap all day and sit roaring at their own shíte jokes and the latest porn spam that has rrived on the planet. These guys are nothing but a fúckin plague, and I can't for the life of me imagine how the hell the got as far as fouth year.

Ill get down of my high horse so, I happen to be one of the V Tennis gang. In fact me and my giant bald accomplice have a record of 21 doubles games for no loss. Anyway, I asked a few first years to be quiet today and they just said OK with no hassle so my opinion has changed.

But anyway, V Tennis rocks, I for one tell good jokes and everyone likes a good porn/joke email.

Advertisement