Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE's Simpson Ad

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

God I loathe this ad. How the hell did RTÉ think this was a good idea? It's one of the few things on T.V that actualy make me turn over when it comes on.

Oh and that bart being her soulmate thing really gives me the creeps. It's not just what she says, its the way she says it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

You'd think for all the thousands RTE must pay Fox, they could get the real simpsons actors to record a promo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Matt Groening should sue

that promo is horrendous and makes me cringe everytime i see it
    the sponsored by smarties thing is muck aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Fairly crap ad. I don't know if it has been posted already but play.com are selling simpsons and futurama seasons 1-4 for e24 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

seker16 wrote:
    Oh and that bart being her soulmate thing really gives me the creeps. It's not just what she says, its the way she says it :eek:

Yep they could have gotten their facts right!! Everyone knows about their sibling rivalry :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

Aava wrote:
    But honestly, have you ever known someone who can do a very good Lisa Simpson impression? Her voice is quite unique, even the actress who plays Lisa has a really unusual voice.

This is true. If you ever see her guest star in any sitcoms or movies - she's been in a few - you'd know her a mile away! She sounds just like Lisa in real life too!

I agree with Blisterman, though - Fox really should be more open to this kind of promotional recording. There have been examples of US stars recording stings of "You're watching 'Programme X' on 'Channel Y'" for many UK and Irish channels in the past - it wouldn't have been impossible to accomplish. Maybe RTE were lazy and just didn't ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Amnesiac_ie

The simspsons cast are voicing Channel's 4 Alternative Christmas Speech this year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Aava

I thought it's just Marge who's doing the speech? Could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Amnesiac_ie

No, all the family will be contributing... Lisa is going to do some politcal speech about Iraq I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I just got the following response from RTE. I've removed the author's name to avoid their embarassement.
    Thank you for contacting RTE with regard to the Lisa Simpson impersonation on the promo. I am the producer of the piece, and I am sorry you don't like the promo.

It took a while to find some-one with anything near the right voice, and then we had to raise it an octive, electronically, the result was as close as we could get. I agree it's not perfect, but it pokes fun, advertises the show, and is not meant to be taken literally.

Again, my apologies if you feel we failed, thank you for letting us know you views, feedback from our audience in invaluable if we are to improve our standards.

Regards,

*name removed*

• Advertisement

whats the email address?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Oooh, RTE can raise voices by an octave *electronically* now...

FFS, If they couldn't get Yeardley Smith to do the voiceover surely the could have done something along the lines of the current (excellent) channel 4 ad promoting the simpsons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

RTE wrote:
    Regards,

*name removed* .

Did (s)he actually remove their name from the e-mail itself? Wouldn't blame them. The shame of directing that ad must be crippling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

LOL im really glad i started this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

orla wrote:
    LOL im really glad i started this thread!

So are we Orla ;) because we were all thinking it too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

think i'll start somemore threads bout things that annoy me and see how they go!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭daymobrew

NoelRock wrote:
    Did (s)he actually remove their name from the e-mail itself?
    I removed it before posting it to lessen the person's shame.
    The mail sig had blurb about the mail being for the adressee and how it should not be distributed beyond adressee.
    If I published the name and/or email address the person would know that I was the source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Got this, among other e-mails form RTE.

Hi Mick,
    Just in case you didn't hear from Jim Booth, head of
    promos, he contacted me to say that they're dropping
    Lisa Simpson. Seemingly they've had a number of
    complaints about her/it - so there.

Cheers,
    Nina

so there

nice ending to an email