Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE's Simpson Ad

Options
  • 04-11-2004 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭

Has anyone seen this? Its the one where they have lisa (who doesnt sound at all like lisa) is talking to her Irish penpal about her family.

I nearly broke down in tears laughing. Its so stupid.

Do RTE think it sounds like Lisa? What where they thinkin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Holy Sh!t I Fuking Hate that ad with a Passion! It's so Fuking stupid, what do they take us for?

And then at the end of the ad Lisa says: "Look mom, dads on RTE 2" Does NOT sound remotely like Lisa!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Buck Owens

It sounds more like "Look mum, Dad's on RD2" :mad: :mad:

It's a really annoying ad alright!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Its stupid but she is speaking with an Irish accent in it.. maybe in some twisted logic they are trying to make it sound like she is putting on an Irish acccent for her Irish penpal... oh umm RTE logical? :D Maybe not...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

i hate all the ****in smarties ads that sponsor the simpsons on rte even more than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

It's awful. it's almost as if someone (is Kevo still in air tee eee?) came in and said "yeah, my sister does a good Lisa Simpson" and they just threw it into the advert. It's a reasonable impression for four seconds in the pub. it's pretty darned awful as something broadcast repeatedly. Awful.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

sceptre wrote:
    It's awful. it's almost as if someone (is Kevo still in air tee eee?) came in and said "yeah, my sister does a good Lisa Simpson" and they just threw it into the advert. It's a reasonable impression for four seconds in the pub. it's pretty darned awful as something broadcast repeatedly. Awful.

What he said :)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Japseye

Havnt seen it yet but thats because i dont watch RTE anymore. Its ****e like that that has put me off watching RTE. Its almost as bad as that terrible UTV Ulster Television channel, I'd prefer to watch cows eating silage. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

They couldn't get the original Lisa Simpson so they got the non-union Mexican equivalent - remember this?
    Burns: Get me Steven Spielberg!
    Smithers: He's unavailable.
    Burns: Then get me his non-union Mexican equivalent!
    [later] Listen, Senor Spielbergo, I want you to do for me
    what Spielberg did for Oskar Schindler.
    Spielbergo: Er, Schindler es bueno, Senor Burns es el diablo.
    Burns: Listen, Spielbergo, Schindler and I are like peas in a pod:
    we're both factory owners, we both made shells for the
    Nazis, but mine worked, dammit! Now go out there and win me
    that festival!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

pork99 wrote:
    They couldn't get the original Lisa Simpson so they got the non-union Mexican equivalent - remember this?

Excellent Quote

That ad drives me cuckoo , btw whatever happend to good old kevo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Japseye wrote:
    ....I'd prefer to watch cows eating silage. :eek:

enough said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

its just a terrible attempt by RTE to actually make a good ad but as usual they arsed it up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

pork99 wrote:

Funny. I must be the only person to think it's OK then. I never watch The Simpsons on RTE, so I'm kind of willing to let them have this promo department person have their dues.

The voice seems to start off pretty well, but becomes worse as it goes on. (Previous poster's "Dad's on RD2" is spot on). Still, though, it could be a lot worse, and the selection of shots to match the voice isn't terrible.

What is awful, though, is RTE's scheduling of the promo *everywhere*, even among programmes which wouldn't remotely be watched by the audience of The Simpsons. It's almost like they're trying to show off the promo...!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I have to say this is the worst add ever.

But in fairness to RTE I don't think they generally do bad promos.

But RTE TWO curently looks crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Danni

Its hilarious.. And i know what ye mean about the RD2 thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

Why is Bart her "soulmate" as well? Bit creepy IMHO :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah, that ad was placed at No.2 in my Top 3 annoying ads countdown. See here!

D&#233 wrote: »
    Why is Bart her "soulmate" as well? Bit creepy IMHO :eek:

Funny. I wondered about this too. She probably means he's the person who most understands her, but definitely bad scripting!

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Amnesiac_ie

This ad bugs the hell out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I just emailed RTE to tell them how bad the promo is.
    I sent it to info@rte.ie but maybe I should have mailed complaints@rte.ie.

The wording of the promo makes it sound like it was done by Americans with a dated view of Irish (i.e. sounds "orish").

http://www.rte.ie/about/contact/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Japseye wrote:
    Havnt seen it yet but thats because i dont watch RTE anymore. Its ****e like that that has put me off watching RTE. Its almost as bad as that terrible UTV Ulster Television channel, I'd prefer to watch cows eating silage. :eek:

I'd watch that too, sounds great, if anybody has a video of cows eating silage let me know ... did they get sick after? ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

oooh the 'cow's eating silage' video, I've seen that. Don't confuse it however with the café scenes in Fair City.. that's a different kind of silage altogether :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

oooh the 'cow's eating silage' video, I've seen that. Don't confuse it however with the café scenes in Fair City.. that's a different kind of silage altogether :rolleyes:

.... that thought made me sick

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The ad is sole destroying!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

hey mom dads on rte homer how could you stoop so low?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

The ad is sole destroying!!
    fisheries bord will be giving out next.

woosaysdan wrote:
    hey mom dads on rte homer how could you stoop so low?

Maybe he donated €10,000 to get them to take Fair City, Tubridy, Stew and (in particular) OFF the air...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

with $10,000 we could be millionaires

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭DuFF-MAN

I just want to enter my name in as someone who hates this ad. Rubbish attempt by RTÉ!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I hate that ad so much.How can they think that the voice actor they got to do Lisa's voice sounds remotely like Lisa.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Aava

But honestly, have you ever known someone who can do a very good Lisa Simpson impression? Her voice is quite unique, even the actress who plays Lisa has a really unusual voice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement