Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Telly moment over Christmas!

Options
  • 04-11-2004 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭

Sorry all, but it has to be Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory!!

Anyone else?

;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

yeap ill have to agree with you there wonka8.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭climaxer

sanncoo wrote:
    Sorry all, but it has to be Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory!!

Anyone else?

;)

Me too I LOVE that film. Must of watched it a million times. Christmas wouldn't be the same without it :) and of course the Late Late Toy Show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭sanncoo

climaxer wrote:
    Me too I LOVE that film. Must of watched it a million times. Christmas wouldn't be the same without it :) and of course the Late Late Toy Show.

Agree, Climaxer, re the Toy Show!!

2 years ago we all sat down at home to watch Willy Wonka on Xmas eve! 'We' aged 29, 27, 25, 23, 21!!!!!

Christmas would not be the same without it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

hmmm.. being asleep in front of it after a bottle of wine and massive dinner.. defo my fav tv moment :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

could do without Willy Wonka tbh

last year my highlight was The Office christmas specials
    a highlight every year is Jools Holland's Hootenamy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Willy Wonka. It's not Christmas if it's not on.

Does anyone know if you can get it on video/dvd? My sister lives abroad and would love a copy of it

i saw it in golden discs in clonmel a few weeks ago!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

woosaysdan wrote:
    i saw it in golden discs in clonmel a few weeks ago!!!

Thanks, I shall look out for it. :)

nps ill check to see if its still there if you are interested in travelling up to get it!!! have you tried cdwow as well? or maybe amazon?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

rebel72 wrote:
    Willy Wonka. It's not Christmas if it's not on.

Does anyone know if you can get it on video/dvd? My sister lives abroad and would love a copy of it
    had it on dvd, but lost the disc. DOH! love watching Only Fools And Horses at christmas and Ohe Office specials last year was a highlight.

• Advertisement

yeah i forgot about the only fools and horses *holds head down is shame*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Mossy Monk wrote:
    could do without Willy Wonka tbh

last year my highlight was The Office christmas specials
    a highlight every year is Jools Holland's Hootenamy

Aye, The Office Christmas specials were great.
    Got the dvd today actually, forgot how funny some of it was, especially the music video "If You Don't Know Me By Now" classic.

Indiana Jones and Die Hard are always great to watch at Christmas, in fact it's not a proper Christmas without them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

I'm going to get my coat before even saying this but I always watched "Noel's Christmas Presents" on the beeb on Christmas afternoon. Noel Edmonds going around making dreams come true for people who needed a break in life. Jeepers but there'd always be something in it that would make me teary eyed watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned The Sound Of Music and Mary Poppins yet. I've never seen either but I know they're always on at some point over the Christmas.

For me, Christmas isn't Christmas without Willy Wonka, some Indiana Jones film, some James Bond film (particularly if it's a "proper" Bond film, i.e. a Connery one), there's usually a Star Wars film thrown in there at some point, Die Hard, as Makaveli said, is usually worth a look too, Only Fools And Horses Christmas specials and, of course, Superman - The Movie. I know it looks really dated now but, for my mind, there's only one Superman and that's Christopher Reeve, God rest his soul.

They usually show at least one of the Wallace & Grommit cartoons over the Christmas period and I never miss them. I still love them, and I'm 26! :D

The past few years they've shown Toy Story on at least one of the channels and I reckon Shrek, which I think RTE are possibly going to show this year, will probably become the new "Toy Story" and be shown every year from now on.

Of course, I used to never miss the Late Late Toy Show growing up but I haven't watched it in years. Last time I saw it Gay was still presenting it and Kevo popped up a few times during the show (the annoying little c**t!). I just don't think it would be the same with Pat "The Plank" Kenny doing it. Tell me, does Dustin still show up on it every year and does he slag off Pat now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Pat Kenny has managed to recreate in me the same feelings of despair and pain as the five minutes of Billy Barry kids "performances",and then, in defiance of all laws of physics and sanity, make that feeling last for the whole Toy Show.

I'm hoping to see all the Die Hard films. It's not Christmas without seeing Bruce Willis getting horribly abused and blowing stuff up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭littleninja

Have to agree that Christmas isn't Christmas without the likes of Mary Poppins and Charlie and the Chocolate factory. There's no getting away from the Star Wars movies or Superman either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Going the big fat RTE guide just before christmas was a favorite pastime of mine to se what movies were on over the christmas.

as for telly moment Indianna Jones movies, The never ending Story, Miracle on 34th street (the black and white one) the Laurel and Hardy series they do every year on RTE.

worst telly moment over christmas Gone with the wind, that thing just goes onand on and on and on it must be about 4 hours long

oh yeah another movie at cfhristmas Ben hur. hope its on this year

I can only take about five minutes of willie wonka. If im flicking through the channels I will see what part of the film theyre at then keep going

more christmas movies the Wizard of Oz, the Sound of music Mary Poppins, Bedknobs and broomsticks, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and loads loads more.

Oh yeah The Toy Show although it was more fun when Gay byrne did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭littleninja

Ah yes, the memories are fooding back, everyone sitting around either falling asleep or breaking the presents they got and watching the usual TV programmes that are played to death around Christmas time!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

Back to the Future. classic.

Last Christmas was cool: The Office Christmas Special, that made christmas tv that particular year.

I used to like the toy show, but pat kenny ruins anything he touches imo.

My brothers friend is a researcher on the late late show...and i heard he was off in the biggest toy shop in ireland (can't remember what it is...anyone know?) 'researching' the toys. Tough job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

dangerman wrote:

My brothers friend is a researcher on the late late show...and i heard he was off in the biggest toy shop in ireland (can't remember what it is...anyone know?) 'researching' the toys. Tough job.
    researching toys?! that's a dream job ;) wow..
    not sure where the biggest toy shop is.. must be a smyths or winter wonderland somewhere.. chances are in the big smoke ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Ahh christmas...

I love all the Santa films, all great craic(go see Bad Santa in cinemas, very funny)
    Also that coca cola add, the one with the trucks "Holidays are coming .." love that add, means its christmas!

I reckon Chicken Run will be on this christmas, go with the Wallace and Gromit theme, Toy Story2 could get a mention! And Small Soldiers as well. As for the classics, all thats been said before and prob one of the Never ending stories. Oh and The Goons.

ahh yes..

ps. Santa is coming to blanchardstown on Nov 6th. WTF! Disliking this early advertisment crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭climaxer

Mear wrote:
    Ahh christmas...

I love all the Santa films, all great craic(go see Bad Santa in cinemas, very funny)
    Also that coca cola add, the one with the trucks "Holidays are coming .." love that add, means its christmas!

I reckon Chicken Run will be on this christmas, go with the Wallace and Gromit theme, Toy Story2 could get a mention! And Small Soldiers as well. As for the classics, all thats been said before and prob one of the Never ending stories. Oh and The Goons.

ahh yes..

ps. Santa is coming to blanchardstown on Nov 6th. WTF! Disliking this early advertisment crap.

Must check out that Bad Santa film. Would it be suitable for any age?

Love that ad too :)

As much as I love xmas I have to agree early nov is too early for santa grottos. Us poor parents are inflicted every shopping trip to see santa and the poor kids get all excited and don't realise how long they actually have to wait until Santa is really coming...

Just thought of another fav xmas tv moment. Don't watch it anymore but when I was younger I used to love watching Top of the Pops to see who's number one and look back on the hits of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭sanncoo

Mear wrote:
    Ahh christmas...

Mear

I love that add too and the one with the little girl who says Ho Ho Ho! What's that ad for? Is it Coke????

Santa on Nov 6th.....Oh my DOD!!!!!!!! :eek:

Holidays are comin', Holidays are comin'..........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

sanncoo wrote:
    and the one with the little girl who says Ho Ho Ho! What's that ad for? Is it Coke????

Kelloggs Corn Flakes, if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

You will be happy to know that one of those trucks are coming to ireland this year.

http://www.limerickpost.ie/dailynews.elive?id=5715&category=Daily-Thu]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Kalina

It really feels lke Christmas when I see the Budweiser ad with the gorgeous Clydesdale team pulling the dray of Christmas trees in the snow- lovely ad.
    Some people love Willy Wonka but in our house the must-see movie every Christmas is National Lampoons Christmas Vacation. It has me in stitches every time, even the opening credits is halarious and the music is so Christmassy. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,394 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Kalina wrote:
    It really feels lke Christmas when I see the Budweiser ad with the gorgeous Clydesdale team pulling the dray of Christmas trees in the snow- lovely ad.
    Some people love Willy Wonka but in our house the must-see movie every Christmas is National Lampoons Christmas Vacation. It has me in stitches every time, even the opening credits is halarious and the music is so Christmassy. :D
    Its really feels like christmas when i see that budweiser ad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Remember the christmas special thingy with Neil Morrisey from Men Behaving badly about the christmas play they had on in this school where they all played kids.

It was only on once on bbc and they said at the time it was never gonna be shown again. Anyone remember it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

that flying Snowman cartoon with the little kid :) and in America my wife tells me an old black and white movie called "Its a Wonderful Life". Cant wait to see that when we go back for Christmas ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

The Great Escape, as Steve McQueen rides his motorbike up & down the hills looking for a spot to jump over the barbed wire at the border.

Advertisement