Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy ..Afterthoughts

Options
  • 10-08-2001 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

Whoa, just seen it there.
    Must say Shinji u hit it right on the nail, The reviews are a load of bull****.

Knocks the matrix off my Fav film Top spot.

Best film in the history of the universe !!!.......ever smile.gif

Me

[This message has been edited by havok* (edited 10-08-2001).]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Cool movie to watch once. Wasn't impressed by the plot and some of the dubbing was terrible.

But then again this is the first movie of this kind and its a danm good effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

ofcourse the dubbing was gonna be poor, it was made for japs and then imported here as an after thought smile.gif (well not quite as bad as that), but you get me?

then ending was like the final FMV in FF7.

Ashley...if only

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

[This message has been edited by chernobyl (edited 11-08-2001).]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

That was a master piece. Its all I can say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭El Marco

Well lads I'm afraid i gotta burst the bubble.
    Personaly I thought it quit good but not a master peice as you put it, as I watched the film the thought that "Im only really watchin this because its animated" crossed my mind many times. Basicly the story did have the classic fantasy vibe, like ff games but just didnt cut it as a film, I think ff should stay in the gaming relms and not the movie industry.
    Cut it down simply if it were a real film not animated it wouldnt go anywhere cool.gif

Thats what i think and feel free to contredict me but i stick by it.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    (Insert quote here)
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

El Marco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by chernobyl:
    ofcourse the dubbing was gonna be poor, it was made for japs and then imported here as an after thought smile.gif (well not quite as bad as that), but you get me?</font>
    Actually it's the other way around. They made it in english for the americanos and are going to dub it in japanese. Come to think of it, they might keep it in englsih, not sure on that one.

[This message has been edited by Chubby (edited 11-08-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Astonishing...

Nothing short of brilliant!

Definetly one to buy on DVD when it comes out.

I'd probably go and see it again next week if Planet Of The Apes wasn't out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭havok*

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Augmerson:

That was a master piece. Its all I can say.
    </font>

Aggreed smile.gif

I really liked the plot imo, very new and refreshing from other scifi movies. And thankfully keeping true to the games it was epic, evolving and funny.
    I walked in expecting to see a Short Final Fantasy Game story without the game part, and thats exactly what i got. The ending rocked also smile.gif

It did bear a major resemblance (i.e planet spirt and all that) to ff7

Tbh the only thing i tought mabye could have been abit better was the voice acting/lip syncing , the charactors Emotional facial expressions could have been done better @ times and they went abit O.T.T on the camera shaking (esp in the dream scene's).
    There really just superfical problems tho, besides that its utterly perfect.

my 2 cents

[This message has been edited by havok* (edited 11-08-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Lucy_la_morte

Was good, a bit cheesy at times, especially the relationship between Aki and that other fella. Steve Buscemi's character was definately a helpful addition to liven the film up. Don't think it's the first film of it's kind though? Other films are done entirely CGI, Toy Story, Titan AE, Bugs Life etc..

Kitty aime la grosses HWGuys comme Richindub2.

Lucy la morte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

First fully CG film to feature human characters as lead players... All the others wussed out of doing humans as major characters.

Titan AE was mostly conventional cel animation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

The film was good, but not brilliant, the plot was......well......not the best and the cg was just aazing, but then again wiv £100mill to spend you'd expect more than a film like Titan Ae....

Planet of the apes is a definite to goto though (aswell as teh film being discussed here)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

not a bad movie, not a great one either IMHO...

its a bit action free, apart from 2 or 3 big 'shoot the baddies' scenes its all standing around talking..

it was too smoochie and not enuf ackshun..

Where is the magic and the swords and stuff, or something that would bring the action of the games - not just the odd gun battle

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I thought it was great! the detail of the skin texture was OMG! outstanding...

Thought the plot was pritty good also, i was just expecting an alien invasion, n a bit of a love story thrown in but i was pleasently surprised! smile.gif

"just because you're not paraniod, doesn't mean they're not after you!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

This film owned my pants, severly

The cg was absolutely incredible and the plot was distinctly ff, anyone who disagrees must not have played them much or just missed the point of either the film or games entirely. Ah well, tbh my non gamer friends who i went to see it with didn't like it as much as me. There was the odd cringe worthy moment, the dubbing quality varied, crap sometimes but spot on others. all in all, best film i have seen in the cinema in ages, best there atm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Wonderful animation, cheesy story. Overall very entertaining.

Never thought I'd live to see hippy sci-fi though. Alright Gaia, calm down now pet... wink.gif

K

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

I have to add my voice to the support corner. Thought the film was great with exellent imagery and design.

The main bad guy with the leather jacket reminded me alot of a character you might find in Final Fantasy VIII

Hopefully the DVD will have some compelling extras. Cant wait to see what else Square Films come out with.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Great film that falls short of true brilliance by little more than a gnat's wing. Bodes well for the future of CG movies, while still leaving it pretty sure enough that live action movies with real actors (no CG) are safe enough for some time yet ( i.e.: CG is unlikely to completely replace live actors... for some time at least wink.gif )

Suffers slightly from the criticism in reviews of being "cold and clinical" and I can certainly see that in the movie itself. Also, the script loses a little in it's translation/dubbing from Japanese, although what script is there is voiced well and the lip sync is *fairly* good. A couple of more humourous moments would have been good though.

Very enjoyable overall - a visually gorgeous movie which truly did make me forget half-way through that it was a totally CG generated feature. (I found myself almost asking "how did they get a camera up there...?" wink.gif )

Good work Square fellahs!

Bard
    'First motorbike in the bible ???? ---- a Triumph --- 'Yea verily Moses struck down the ammmanites and all the land heard the roar of his triumph !!!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭havok*

I think we can all agree then, that FF is only really going to be fully apricated by ppl who already know and love the games.

NERD UP MY NIGGA ! ;p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

NO i love the games and while i thought the movie was good i thought it could have been alot better very very nice to look at tho smile.gif
    The story for me wasnt realy good enuf and maybe it was a bit short ?? i dont know but deffinatly could have been alot better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Karma

AS ever, I am a sucker for Sci-fi of any sort including "herc in space"( I know how bad it is) and really enjoyed the movie. I thought the graphics where the best, the is a close up of Dr. Syn near the end and I would not have belived if someone had told me it was CGI. Amazing movie but go see it for your self and make u your own mind.(joy of UGC unlimited pass- even a bad movie[D&D] ain't so bad)
    .C

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I thought the CGI was amazing. I reckon it bodes really well for the future, but I thought the story line really let the film down. There were major gaps and it (storyline/plot) really seemed secondary to the CGI. That's all very well but won't get people who aren't big sci-fi fans into the cinemas to watch it and ultimately fund further shows.

and .c you have dreadful taste - except for Segal smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It's certainly a standard setter, but not a killer movie like some of you have suggested.

Roll on the next all CGI, all Human flick!

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    So Bob Hoskins was about to roll a spliff when in walks Dana with her 3 foot Bong
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    When the Beefy King arrives, I shall be paying homage with Puunack The Receiver in a haze of green curry.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by havok*:
    I think we can all agree then, that FF is only really going to be fully apricated by ppl who already know and love the games.

NERD UP MY NIGGA ! ;p
    </font>

Complete rubbish.

I don't know the games very well and don't like them very much but as you can see from my above post, I truly enjoyed the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

That movie was ****ing brillant, I'd defently go and see it again. At times, the women actually looked real... And it was mad to see the Square logo with 'Pictures' at the end. biggrin.gif Anyways... The story line was a bit weak, unlike the games, but the theme was brillant. The first time Planet Earth has been used I think... wink.gif And James Woods (I think) Character MADE that movie... (The Evil General)... He really gave the FF feel to it.

-Dark-Angel-

Oh, and I want that General's coat and gloves... ph33r. biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 biatch

Went to see it tought the affects were cool.

smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

no swords though frown.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Kensai

Seen the trailer while at the cinema and decided not to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

the ad for the film was rather misleading... says something like "they came to conqure our planet..." or something to that effect, not exactly how i seen it!

"just because you're not paraniod, doesn't mean they're not after you!"

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

I thought this film kicks a$$. The storyline WAS there{what the hell do critics know....fÜck them . The graphics were nothing short of absolute brilliance and the characters moved well with the scenery.

It also had that FF7 feel to it, like the terms used of Gaia, Spirit energy and the ending sequence were all sort of taken from FF7 i'd say. Still does nothing to harm the film biggrin.gif I hope they could make another one in a few years to come when graphic skills will be vastly enhanced and the film will look as if it's a real world....better than this movie,s. I loved the dreams and what they WERE really, added class. All in all, this was COOL cool.gif

That island has freedom written all over it" Sir, that's Cuba. [url="HTTP://WWW.thesimpsons.com"]look at that smithers!![/url]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Scrap

i walked out at the VERY end, did i miss much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i enjoyed it for the graphics.
    the plot was a bit cack, but who cares, it was the usual over the top japanses stuff.
    great.
    leave brain at door, enjoy stunning visuals

Advertisement