Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child falls off bike - hurts knee!

Options
  • 27-10-2004 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

A child has been injured close to a LUAS track in South Dublin this lunchtime.

It's understood the boy was cycling his bike accross the track in Milltown, but panicked when he saw a tram approaching.

The boy left his bike on the track as he ran away and the tram struck the bike.

The boy was not hit by the LUAS but it is believed he injured his knee after falling.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2004/1027/rta01.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Why are you posting this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

oh i love it....!

"Dickey Rock in mickey-rot shock" !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Sarsfield wrote:

look at the related stories on that page, six collisions and a derailment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Heh, that passes for news nowadays?

Hell, where's the "kitten stuck in a tree" stories?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

/me hangs around LUAS track

Compo here I come.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

When the red light breaking drivers on the red line get the bill for tram repairs ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

what Koneko said.

journalists! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

Hey we have all been moaning (rightly so) about the standards of Irish driving - I would include cyclists in that.

How many times have you been crossing a road with a green man when a cyclist comes whizzing by against a red light you nearly knocking you down?

I've seen it with trams as well - afaik If I see a tram approaching, I wait until it passes. Waiting 10 seconds aint going to kill you (excuse the pun!)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

koneko wrote:
    Heh, that passes for news nowadays?

Hell, where's the "kitten stuck in a tree" stories?
    "Kitten falls off bike, hurts.... ah screw it, I'm going to watch Sky News for their last quarter of the hour "noos" story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

Sarsfield wrote:
    The boy was not hit by the LUAS but it is believed he injured his knee after falling.

Wonder did parent subsequently "injure" child for arriving home sans bike?

Get on Luas at Connelly ~ 5.10pm...
    Luas pulls out, gets as far as the first yellow box...
    Gobsh1te truck driver leaves container across box
    Gardai are present - but not much they can do
    Eventually truck moves on - Gardai stop traffic
    Luas starts moving
    2 cyclists zip infront from behind truck in opposite direction
    First Garda just shrugs - think they're at their wits end at this point.

D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

/me hangs around LUAS track

Compo here I come.

Or you could try driving around the roundabout at Dublin airport a few times, bound to have some fool rear-end you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

enterprise wrote:
    Hey we have all been moaning (rightly so) about the standards of Irish driving - I would include cyclists in that.

How many times have you been crossing a road with a green man when a cyclist comes whizzing by against a red light you nearly knocking you down?

I've seen it with trams as well - afaik If I see a tram approaching, I wait until it passes. Waiting 10 seconds aint going to kill you (excuse the pun!)

from todays indo
    Drivers told to 'cop on' at Luas points
    DRIVERS must stop playing "Russian Roulette" with Luas traffic lights, Fine Gael Transport spokesperson Olivia Mitchell urged yesterday after a second crash with a tram in Dublin city centre in a 24-hour period.

Link to story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

Amazing!
    It seems not a single car sacrificed itself in front of a Luas this morning! Is this a record?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

vinnyfitz wrote:
    Amazing!
    It seems not a single car sacrificed itself in front of a Luas this morning! Is this a record?
    No, most of the trams are out of action so drivers had a hard time finding one to dash in front of :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

sliabh wrote:
    No, most of the trams are out of action so drivers had a a hard time finding out to dash in front of :D

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Should have built a metro, or educate Irish drivers, first option while more expensive would probably be easier to achieve.

irish1 wrote:
    Should have built a metro, or educate Irish drivers, first option while more expensive would probably be easier to achieve.
    And it's a better solution long term. With all the petty penny pinching discussions going on you would swear we were still back in the 80's when they couldn't afford to fill in the potholes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

The driving around dublin and in Ireland generally is poor. I cant belive that child cycling along the LUAS track like that. If anything happened to him the parents would be looking for compo straightaway, instead of minding the child and obeying rules of the road.

There is a serious amount of people on the road who either dont know what the yellow box is for or just ignore it. The LUAS incidents just highlight the incredibly bad driving in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

If they strung all the potholes together we would have the makings of a damn fine metro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I'm sure under Irish law they are entitled to compo anyway. At a school where my ma worked a couple of ballymun thugs climbed onto the roof and dropped bricks through the glass ceiling in the library. One of the retards then fell through a skylight running away and broke his leg. He sued the school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

FX Meister wrote:
    I'm sure under Irish law they are entitled to compo anyway. At a school where my ma worked a couple of ballymun thugs climbed onto the roof and dropped bricks through the glass ceiling in the library. One of the retards then fell through a skylight running away and broke his leg. He sued the school.
    Quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

Another cyclist decided to nip across the Luas this evening - that was an experience - experiencing a Luas on full brake with the combined weight of 150? people - sliding along the tracks - crazy.

D.

dazberry wrote:
    Another cyclist decided to nip across the Luas this evening - that was an experience - experiencing a Luas on full brake with the combined weight of 150? people - sliding along the tracks - crazy.

D.
    Can you imagine a cyclist getting sued for causing 150 cases of whiplash!

:)

Has anybody seen any ads etc on TV giving the general public/ road users information on how to behave on the roads with respect to the Luas.?
    Has anybody got the most recent copy of Rules of the Road with any specific info re the Luas?
    Has there been widespread newspaper ads giving information to the public?

Did I miss all this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

FX Meister wrote:

A guy got compo from Irish Rail when a train severed part of his arm or leg which was across the tracks. Sounds reasonable from this info but the guy was drunk and passed out AND had been told my IR staff multiple times over a period of time to keep away from the tracks.
    The judge found that he was a certain percentage negligible (and IR the rest). He awarded the guy a certain amount compensation but it was reduced according to the percentage. I think he ended up getting about 15k. IR objected strongly, and rightly so. IR was considered negligible for not having an high enough fence (it was 5 or 6 feet).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Hagar wrote:
    Has anybody seen any ads etc on TV giving the general public/ road users information on how to behave on the roads with respect to the Luas.?
    Has anybody got the most recent copy of Rules of the Road with any specific info re the Luas?

Did I miss all this?
    For fcuks sake. First of all, have you seen the size of them? If people don't have enough sense to work out that you need to avoid getting hit by them then they deserve to get hit by them. I seem to remember plenty of ads in the papers prior to the launch warning people for watch out for them. I don’t get ant Irish TV channels so I can’t comment on that. I have seen warning signs on the road as well.

How to behave on the road with respect to Luas can be summed up quite easily, “stay out of it’s fcuking way!”

MrP

daymobrew wrote:
    A guy got compo from Irish Rail when a train severed part of his arm or leg which was across the tracks...
    The judge found that he was a certain percentage negligible (and IR the rest).
    IIRC he was fund to be 80% responsible for his injuries. I always felt that IR should have countersued as well for disruption to their business, trauma to their staff, washing down the rail line, etc. After all he was 80% responsible for that as well.

He would have walked (or hobbled) away with nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hagar wrote:
    I don't recall ever getting any kind of education in school as regards how to act towards trains. In fact, the only kind of ad I've ever seen is the recent one about closing the gates. As Mr Pudding says, it's a big thing on the road. It doesn't require any education. The laws of physics which most of us become pretty aware of by the time we were six years old still apply - Big thing, get out of its way.
    The LUAS is the least of the ROAR's worries. We need a modern one that correctly deals with motorways, dual carraigeways, signal-controlled roundabouts, other vehicles (the current book contains shockingly little information for car drivers about how to react to other types of vehicle, and how other road users should interact with cars/each other), as well as many other things.
    Yes, actually. :)

As much as I hate to think about it something needs to be done about cyclists in this country, in the way of education and/or licensing and/or testing. The standard and attitude of cyclists in this country has experienced a shocking decline in recent years, and not just towards the LUAS. Motorists aren't great either, but drivers aren't any worse than they were 10 years ago. There's just more of them now. There are more cyclists too, and way more of them that are a danger to themselves and other traffic.

Forgive my ignorance, I'm a Dubliner who has lived outside Dublin for 5 years so I haven't been reading the Evening Herald or whatever. I have only recently started commuting back to Dublin.

Are the rules of the road simply based on "if it's bigger than you, get out of the way" ?
    If so, must small cars yield to bigger cars who in turn yield to bigger cars who yield to vans who yield to trucks?
    This sounds like the law of the jungle to me.
    What about when the first Luas hits a Calor Gas truck? Then we'll all have something to write about... It's only a matter of time.

BTW is there a "Kick me" sign on my back? :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hagar wrote:
    Are the rules of the road simply based on "if it's bigger than you, get out of the way" ?
    If so, must small cars yield to bigger cars who in turn yield to bigger cars who yield to vans who yield to trucks?
    This sounds like the law of the jungle to me.
    What about when the first Luas hits a Calor Gas truck? Then we'll all have something to write about... It's only a matter of time.
    No, but the LUAS is a separate lane, essentially. When crossing any lane, you must give way to approaching traffic on that lane, i.e. "Get out of the way". This applies to all traffic, except pedestrians. So the child on the bike is in the wrong. If his parents had educated him correctly, he either wouldn't have crossed when the LUAS approached, or he would have cycled safely to the other side of the road. I had to laugh at panicking and dropping the bike - surely it would have been quicker to stay on the bike, than to panic, drop the bike, then fall over?

What age was this idiot child? Anyone?

Advertisement