Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas gauge question?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

How did they get from the docks to the depot?

jlang wrote:
    Split into sections and lift onto on the back of a lorry.... ;)

I'd guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Yeah by lorry. My GF was getting a ferry from France and was talking to the blokes that were bringing them over.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

MrPudding wrote:
    Yeah by lorry. My GF was getting a ferry from France and was talking to the blokes that were bringing them over.

MrP
    I will make no comment about your GF chatting up truckers on the ferry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,262 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What a complete and utter geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!!!!!!!!!!!
    The word is tram spotter. :D
    The term kinematic envelope is better than loading gauge and it is how I understand it.
    Is "kinematic envelope" = the safe distance between the shock force between the fronts of two passing trains?
    you light rail spotter.
    Oi! Thats me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Yeah. You can imagine how happy I was when I heardeek.gif

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,262 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I thought they too heavy to transport via road.
    You can apply for a permit for moving extra heavy loads. They moved a 300 tonne generator from the port to one of the new power stations last year.

In any case half a tram would only weigh 20-30 tonnes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Victor wrote:
    You can apply for a permit for moving extra heavy loads. They moved a 300 tonne generator from the port to one of the new power stations last year.

In any case half a tram would only weigh 20-30 tonnes.

Didn't realise they were that light!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

The story Í heard was the trams had differnt gauges because one is reuseing the old harcourt street line.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,978 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Both trams have the same track gauge (distance between the rails). The Sandyford tram is using the old Harcourt Street alignment.

Victor - The term Kinetic Envelope is hopefully best described by the following Q&A

http://www.railway-technical.com/Q-and-A-page.html#Structure-Gauge

Advertisement