Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas gauge question?

Options
  • 26-10-2004 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

I've read that the Luas uses European gauge rather than mainline rail gauge. I've heard rumours that both lines use a different gauge though? I suspect this is just urban myth though. I've read that it will be different and thus incompatible with any Metro system?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There are two stories I've heard here:

They're both the same gauge.

They are different gauges because one is going to link up with an underground/urban light rail system eventually.

I'd go for option A

• Registered Users Posts: 16,978 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Both lines use the Standard European Gauge of 1,435mm. the CIE gauge is 1,600mm. The CIE guage is quite wide and it can be argued that it is too wide for street running.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I've heard rumours that both lines use a different gauge though?
    Next person to repeat this poo is banned.

They increased the distance between the two tracks (tracks = rail + sleeps + base) on part of the Green Line (Sandyford) so the Luas could be upgraded to Metro standard with trains running faster etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Victor wrote:
    Next person to repeat this poo is banned.

Sorry. Just close the thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sorry. Just close the thread...
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Just to prove the point one of the shorter red line trams is to be transferred to the green line to cover for the shortage caused by the three collision damaged units currently out of service.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

God, every time I hear that b*******e story my blood bolis! The Irish Times even mentioned (AGAIN) on Monday.

John R wrote:
    Just to prove the point one of the shorter red line trams is to be transferred to the green line to cover for the shortage caused by the three collision damaged units currently out of service.

Yes, John. See my post in LUAS out of action. I haven't got offical confirmation of it actually happening. It will be interesting if it does.

enterprise wrote:
    God, every time I hear that b*******e story my blood bolis! The Irish Times even mentioned (AGAIN) on Monday.

Write/ring in and correct them...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

To be fair they could be getting confused with the loading gauge. This came up in a post a while back:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1865550&postcount=6

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Would be cool to see that! Looks like the Red line is going to have a shortage as well as the collisions on that line seem to be more severe.

Are you sure that the damaged units on the Red line are not already back in service. Though I saw one of the two units yesterday though I would be hard pressed to remember the fleet numbers.

sliabh wrote:
    To be fair they could be getting confused with the loading gauge. This came up in a post a while back:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1865550&postcount=6

Is that different from the distance between the two tracks (tracks = rail + sleeps + base) as Victor described it.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭m4cker

enterprise wrote:
    Yes, John. See my post in LUAS out of action. I haven't got offical confirmation of it actually happening. It will be interesting if it does.

oh believe me it did. major pain in the ass getting home from work that night had to wait f***kin ages

Is that different from the distance between the two tracks (tracks = rail + sleeps + base) as Victor described it.
    Nope, its the same thing. Track gauge is the seperation between the two rails the tram/train runs on, and the loading gauge is the distance between the two sets of tracks. The track gauge is the same for the Red and Green lines. The loading gauge is different. As was said earlier this is as the Green line design assumes that the line is to be upgraded to Metro in the future.

There is more info on Wikipedia and at this link

Im not sure about the trams on the Red line, however I have not seen 4002, 4007, and 4012 since their incidents, plus with Connex saying a reduced service is in operation at the peak on the green line reinforces my theroy that the 3 trams are still out of service.

So then its correct to say the gauge is different between both lines, if only in one section. But then you need to clarify that it doesn't prevent the trams being transferred between line. (how do they do this BTW?)

Well I'm glad I posted now and have learnt some thing. Even if its that Victor like to use the word "poo". :D urrgghhh.

Write/ring in and correct them...

I might just do that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

enterprise wrote:
    however I have not seen 4002, 4007, and 4012 since their incidents

What a complete and utter geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!!!!!!!!!!!

What a complete and utter geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!!!!!!!!!!!

Excuse me?

As there are only 14 trams on the green line and its a bit hard to miss the numbers as they are in huge white numbers on the side of the trams you tend to see what trams are running when I travel on the system to commute into town.

Have some respect for your fellow posters - and an apology would be nice as well.

So then its correct to say the gauge is different between both lines, if only in one section.
    No the gauge is the same. For these purposes (and for the slow of learning like Taxi drivers and Indo hacks) all that matters is the track guage.
    But then you need to clarify that it doesn't prevent the trams being transferred between line. (how do they do this BTW?)
    There is nothing to prevent the trams getting moved. The width of the tracks is the same for both lines. The only difference is the gap between two passing trams. This seperation is the "loading guage" and is larger on the green line to allow for a metro. Operationally it would make no difference to the red line trams running on the green line (or vice versa)

• Advertisement

enterprise wrote:
    Excuse me?

As there are only 14 trams on the green line and its a bit hard to miss the numbers as they are in huge white numbers on the side of the trams you tend to see what trams are running when I travel on the system to commute into town.

Have some respect for your fellow posters - and an apology would be nice as well.
    I thought in these circles being called a geek was a compliment? :)

enterprise You will be a LONG time waiting. and as for "I travel on the system to commute into town. " so do i but im not looking at the numbers ..... you light rail spotter.

The term kinematic envelope is better than loading gauge and it is how I understand it.

enterprise You will be a LONG time waiting. and as for "I travel on the system to commute into town. " so do i but im not looking at the numbers ..... you light rail spotter.

ah p*ss off

sliabh wrote:
    No the gauge is the same. For these purposes (and for the slow of learning like Taxi drivers and Indo hacks) all that matters is the track guage.

I assume you mean gauge....

I don't think that its too hard a concept is someone could be bothered to explain it properly. But with the lazy reporting we get these days, that almost never happens.

This from someone who has a PC model number as his username....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭jlang

But then you need to clarify that it doesn't prevent the trams being transferred between line. (how do they do this BTW?)
    Split into sections and lift onto on the back of a lorry round the M50. Or they could build the missing bit of track down Dawson St and around Trinity.
    ;)

System.console.WriteLine("well at least it aint train spotting OR more importantly star trek");

dispose(RicardoSmith);
    dispose(enterprise);

System.console.WriteLine("well at least it aint train spotting OR more importantly star trek");

dispose(RicardoSmith);
    dispose(enterprise);

...uncommonly geekish repartee......
    jlang wrote:
    Split into sections and lift onto on the back of a lorry round the M50. Or they could build the missing bit of track down Dawson St and around Trinity.
    ;)

I thought they too heavy to transport via road. Obviously not. Have they transferred any yet?

• Advertisement

How did they get from the docks to the depot?

Advertisement