Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eyesight Report for Driving Licensing Purposes

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What's all the fuss about. You don't need the eye test until you apply for the license and you can't apply for the license without the eye test. So once you have decided to do it ya might as well do them together.

Also some centres are up to 54 weeks waiting time for driving tests, so 30 days is kinda academic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

GreeBo wrote:
    So the 30 days has nothing to do with your eyes its purely the validity of the form, which you have to pay to get.

dont make no sense to me boss.

You have to pay your optician, not the Dept of Trans, but yes, you've got it. It's nothing to do with your eyes, it's the form.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

The one month rule existed before the theory test did so it was never an issue. And also the government doesn't benefit a single cent if someone sends in an expired eyesight report in fact it costs the government money in administration costs and working time to reject an application because of an eyesight report so it would benefit everyone (except the opticians) if people would do things properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,113 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The one month rule existed before the theory test did so it was never an issue. And also the government doesn't benefit a single cent if someone sends in an expired eyesight report in fact it costs the government money in administration costs and working time to reject an application because of an eyesight report so it would benefit everyone (except the opticians) if people would do things properly.
    ARGH RTFP:mad:
    I didnt say that the government would make any money from this, read the posts people, dont assume things.

In fact, one could argue that it would benefit EVERYONE if the time limit was increased.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

GreeBo wrote:
    ARGH RTFP:mad:
    I didnt say that the government would make any money from this, read the posts people, dont assume things.

In fact, one could argue that it would benefit EVERYONE if the time limit was increased.
    If you didn't notice the 30 day limit earlier, I would respectfully suggest that you should consider a visit to an optician.

• Advertisement

If you didn't notice the 30 day limit earlier, I would respectfully suggest that you should consider a visit to an optician.

Notice it where?
    It's on the form that you get in the Opticians, Dick Head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

The 30 day limit has nothing to do with how long or short it takes to apply for a driving licence, pass test etc. It's a medical report for a legal document and no medical report has an open ended validity. If you do any other medical for official reasons, it is valid for similar lengths of time only.

I can't see what the fuss is about. You can't apply for a provisional licence without your theory test so once you have that done you do your eyesight test and post the lot off. Your provisional licence will state must "wear corrective lenses" (if that is the case) and this will transfer onto subsequent licences. Though, I don't know what happens when you get corrective eye surgery!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

BrianD wrote:
    Though, I don't know what happens when you get corrective eye surgery!!
    "I'm wearing contacts ociffer"

That's what I would do anywho, and it's never been questioned (yes, I do wear contacts pretty much all the time while driving, if not I'm wearing glasses, cos I'd be blind otherwise), a Guard has never even asked me about it.

I'm sure you can apply to have it removed once you hand in a cert from an optician saying that your eyesight is corrected.

BrianD wrote:
    The 30 day limit has nothing to do with how long or short it takes to apply for a driving licence, pass test etc. It's a medical report for a legal document and no medical report has an open ended validity. If you do any other medical for official reasons, it is valid for similar lengths of time only.
    Exactly, so if this eye test is only valid for 30 days why is it that when you get a Full Licence you dont need another eye test for 10 years.
    Also, for the hard of seeing, I never said it should be open ended, merelythat 30 days is pointlessly short.
    BrianD wrote:
    Your provisional licence will state must "wear corrective lenses" (if that is the case) and this will transfer onto subsequent licences. Though, I don't know what happens when you get corrective eye surgery!!
    And what if you are 50 and you pass your eye test, in 10 years time you could be blind as a bat, but its ok, coz you got your form in within 30 days.

Its a stupid time limit that serves no purpose at all.
    Its been a week an not one person has come up with a good reason for 1 month.

Greebo wrote:
    Exactly, so if this eye test is only valid for 30 days why is it that when you get a Full Licence you dont need another eye test for 10 years.
    Also, for the hard of seeing, I never said it should be open ended, merelythat 30 days is pointlessly short.

errr. you are missing the point! Your eyesight test is a document that determines whether you should wear corrective lenses and this information is endorsed on your licence. Once that is estalished it is really irrelevant how many eye tests you have after that.

An eyesight test really has no time duration but the certificate that the states the results of the test has 30 days.

• Advertisement

BrianD wrote:
    errr. you are missing the point! Your eyesight test is a document that determines whether you should wear corrective lenses and this information is endorsed on your licence. Once that is estalished it is really irrelevant how many eye tests you have after that.
    Not so, that only makes sense if you fail the eye test, what about the majority whom pass it? Why are you not required to have an eye test every two years, as the opticians advise?
    BrianD wrote:
    the certificate that the states the results of the test has 30 days.
    Exactly, and to return to post #1 in this thread, WHY?
    Give me one good reason why its so short.

One good reason? Because it is a legal medical certificate that has to have a time span. No other medical certificate will last you more than 30 days. This is standard practice and it makes perfect sense. 30 days is a reasonable length of time.

Greebo you are clutching at straws here! It's like asking why is the earth round! Please re-read what I and others have posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭isolde

I went for an eye sight test or whatever it's called, and the optician said that I have to wear glasses when driving, etc, etc. So I applied for licence, included optician's report, and got licence in post other day but it doesn't say anywhere on the licence that I have to wear glasses when driving.

Strange.

~isolde.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

isolde wrote:
    I went for an eye sight test or whatever it's called, and the optician said that I have to wear glasses when driving, etc, etc. So I applied for licence, included optician's report, and got licence in post other day but it doesn't say anywhere on the licence that I have to wear glasses when driving.

Strange.

~isolde.
    There are numbers on the third inside page of the licence, beside the category you've applied for. One of them will mention the eyes (in a number form).

I know :)

The eyesight number isn't there.

It is, it's "01 - Must wear corrective lenses". The number is printed in the "restrictions" column and there is also a printed unsert with the explaination of each number. This seems to be a new thing as I renewed my licence recently. My old licence just had a stamp on it about the corrective lenses.

no.. no it isn't. despite the fact i need glasses at times, i can read the restrictions list ;) and the glasses restriction thing, 01, isn't there. must have been an oversight.

~isolde.

Perhaps there has been in your case.

BrianD wrote:
    One good reason? Because it is a legal medical certificate that has to have a time span. No other medical certificate will last you more than 30 days. This is standard practice and it makes perfect sense. 30 days is a reasonable length of time.
    So you still dont have a good reason. You could at least be honest and say so.
    BrianD wrote:
    It's like asking why is the earth round!

Err the Earth is round because of a magical thing called gravity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

BrianD wrote:
    Perhaps there has been in your case.

When I got my licence renewed a few years back, they didn't put the date that I got my first licence on it, but the date that the replacement licence was issued on. So it looked like I'd only had a full licence a short time. This is a problem when trying to hire cars, since they want to see that you have a full licence for 2 or even 3 years. At the time they wouldn't change it, saying the hire company could fax them in a request and they would fax them out the relevent details. Since they are not open at the weekends and take days to respond to most communications, this was unworkable for me. So I was fumming until I realised they'd not put glasses restriction on it. So when I told them about it, they agreed to reissue the licence with the original date and the glasses restriction on it.

So maybe theres a few cases where they've forgotten to put it on there.

• Advertisement

So you still dont have a good reason. You could at least be honest and say so.

Greebo, I am loathe to trade insults with people but please stop your childish stupidity. 30 days a long agreed norm for these of certificates based on legal and medical advice. When you get into power you can up it to a year and then you'll be asking why it isn't valid for two years!

Still pissed about the whole 'Earth is round' thing huh?

Chum.............................................................P.

Yeah well, I've got a cert valid for 30 days that says its flat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

This thread should have a 30 post expiry... :D

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

parsi wrote:
    Do things always have to be cast as some form of monkey-making scam or some form of severe injustice or the outward manifestation of some government plot ?

Sorry to drag this up but having just seen my rep feedback I realise that I made a heinous error - "monkey-making scam" should of course read "money-making scam"

Apologies to any monkeys whom I may have inadvertently suggested were made using eyesight certs - obviously for that you would need a longer validity than 30 days.... :-)

Advertisement