Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eyesight Report for Driving Licensing Purposes

Options
  • 21-10-2004 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,115 ✭✭✭✭

Why on earth is this report only valid for 30days and yet the optician recommends that your next appointment is in 2 years time?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Don't see the problem. This is a medical report for a specific purpose and it is logical that it has a specific time validity. If you go for a medical for a visa or job it is only valid for a specific period even though your doc may say to come back in a year for a check up.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,115 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

well what are the chances of going from ok to drive without glasses, to needing glasses in two months?
    Sounds like a money spinner for someone to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

It's simply a cert saying that at the time of testing, your eye sight was of X standard. By putting a time limit on it, stops people dragging up a year old report, even though they're blind as a bat. Why a month limit? Cos if your too lazy to submit the report within 30 days, you don't deserve a license.

Not everything got to do with transport in Ireland is a "money spinner"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Spot on bogger! Seems when people are too lazy to do something its always because of some one elses "money spinner"!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Back of tesco receipts - specsavers are offering a free eye test :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Mate of mine has been wearing reading glasses for years, and when he went for his eye exam for the car licence, he was told it was fine. Even a recent check up (< 1 year) the optician told him he was OK for driving without his glasses. He drove around with them on a lot of the time anyway, particularly at night.

He recently went to get another report for a truck licence, and the optician (not his regular one) told him there's no way in hell he can drive a truck without his glasses!

Are there more stringent guidelines for HGV drivers (don't see why there would be), or is it a case of lazy opticians?

That's the problem, all opticians seem to give different perscriptions. But as in all things medical, don't rely on what the Doc says, check your eyes yourself. I do it regularly, seeing if I can read the number of the car in front, at 50yds etc.

seamus wrote:
    Mate of mine has been wearing reading glasses for years, and when he went for his eye exam for the car licence, he was told it was fine. Even a recent check up (< 1 year) the optician told him he was OK for driving without his glasses. He drove around with them on a lot of the time anyway, particularly at night.

Reading Glasses shouldn't be worn when driving, unless you got bi or vari-focals!! No wonder your mates eyes got worse. He probably strained them with too strong of lenses.

Reading Glasses are for close up, increased magnification, driving or normal use glasses are more to correct imperfections not increase magnification.

Bogger77 wrote:
    Why a month limit? Cos if your too lazy to submit the report within 30 days, you don't deserve a license.
    What if you need to go do a theory test aswell?
    These things take time, all Im saying is a one month limit is a bit harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭fletch

GreeBo wrote:
    Why on earth is this report only valid for 30days and yet the optician recommends that your next appointment is in 2 years time?
    Agreed, its ridiculous considering, if you pass your test well then that's it for at least 10yrs :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

To be honest, if your going to drive round with out checking your eyes regularly, and saying that sure my license doesn't say I need glasses, please leave your car at home and rip up your license. You're as dangerous on the road as a speeding driver.

(by the way, it's one month to apply for your license, you should have passed your theory test before going for the eye exam, the time limit shouldn't be an issue).

Bogger77 wrote:
    To be honest, if your going to drive round with out checking your eyes regularly, and saying that sure my license doesn't say I need glasses, please leave your car at home and rip up your license. You're as dangerous on the road as a speeding driver.
    No one said they were going to do this, stop stirring. The point is why is the test valid for only 1 month if you arent required to take another test for so long after you get a licence?
    Bogger77 wrote:
    (by the way, it's one month to apply for your license, you should have passed your theory test before going for the eye exam, the time limit shouldn't be an issue).
    "should"?? tell me where it says what order I need to do these things in?
    I dont need to have a theory test to take an eye exam or vice versa.
    The two are unrelated.

Give me a good reason for the limit and I'll accept it. So far I havent seen any.

GreeBo wrote:
    What if you need to go do a theory test aswell?
    These things take time, all Im saying is a one month limit is a bit harsh.
    You don't need an eyesight report to take the theory test.

seamus wrote:
    You don't need an eyesight report to take the theory test.
    Yes, but if I get an eye test first, I then only have 4 weeks to get my theory test and apply for my licence.

Im still waiting for a good reason....

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

GreeBo wrote:
    Yes, but if I get an eye test first, I then only have 4 weeks to get my theory test and apply for my licence.

Im still waiting for a good reason....

Why does there have to be a good reason ? Most certificates that prove something is in a certain state at a point of time only have a set validity. When you pass your test your certificate of competency is only valid for a certain period - if you excess that period then you can't get your licence (though I'm sure most people go to the licence office the day they pass..).

It would be hard for an optician to want to sign a form with open ended validity - peoples eyes do change especially as you get older...

Do things always have to be cast as some form of monkey-making scam or some form of severe injustice or the outward manifestation of some government plot ?

GreeBo wrote:
    Then don't get your eye test first. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Bogger77 wrote:
    I do it regularly, seeing if I can read the number of the car in front, at 50yds etc.

50yds? AFAIK, you are supposed to be able to read it at 25 yards, not 50.

How good are you at judging distance? I don't think many people could read a number at 50 yards, tbh. Try it 'on the ground' sometime. Walk 50 yards away from a car and then try to read the number.

Also, I'd prefer you to be paying attention to driving rather than 'testing your eyes' regularly.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 78,309 ✭✭✭✭Victor

parsi wrote:
    some form of monkey-making scam
    Show me the monkey!

smile-monkey.jpg

GreeBo wrote:
    No one said they were going to do this, stop stirring. The point is why is the test valid for only 1 month if you arent required to take another test for so long after you get a licence?

If I remember correctly, unless you go for another class of license, you do not need to do an eye exam and submit the cert until your 70th birthday. So, the eye test done by an 17yr old, getting first provisional license, will be valid until they hit 70, that's 53 years. Makes the month limit immaterial in that sense.

The limit is there, as with the NCT, it's certificate that says your eyes (or car in NCT case), passes the stanard proscribed by the Dept of Transport, at that moment in time. The 30 limit is it's a reasonable amount of time to allow you to complete the rest of the application process. Since, you do not need to submit an Eye Test cert when you apply for a Theory test, and you cannot apply for a provisional license without first passing a theory test.

Why would you get the theory test first? Makes sense to most people here that you'd do it in the reverse order, pass the theory test, then eye test, then apply for the license the following day. Simple

esel wrote:
    50yds? AFAIK, you are supposed to be able to read it at 25 yards, not 50.

How good are you at judging distance? I don't think many people could read a number at 50 yards, tbh. Try it 'on the ground' sometime. Walk 50 yards away from a car and then try to read the number.

Also, I'd prefer you to be paying attention to driving rather than 'testing your eyes' regularly.

Stuck in the wonderful dublin traffic, reading the numbers of as many cars as I can. 50yds (150 feet, not that far, 15 car lenghts in traffic), I can read most plate fonts in good light. Don't get me started on those "customised" plates.

Anyhows, I work most of the day with PC's so I get my eyes tested professionally quite often.

• Advertisement

parsi wrote:
    Why does there have to be a good reason ?
    errrrr ok.
    parsi wrote:
    Most certificates that prove something is in a certain state at a point of time only have a set validity. When you pass your test your certificate of competency is only valid for a certain period - if you excess that period then you can't get your licence (though I'm sure most people go to the licence office the day they pass..).

It would be hard for an optician to want to sign a form with open ended validity - peoples eyes do change especially as you get older...
    open-ended validity was never brought up, but I doubt there would be any noticable difference after one month. (saving sticking a fork into your eye)
    parsi wrote:
    Do things always have to be cast as some form of monkey-making scam or some form of severe injustice or the outward manifestation of some government plot ?
    no, but often they are (Stamp Duty anyone?)

Bogger77 wrote:
    Since, you do not need to submit an Eye Test cert when you apply for a Theory test, and you cannot apply for a provisional license without first passing a theory test.

Why would you get the theory test first? Makes sense to most people here that you'd do it in the reverse order, pass the theory test, then eye test, then apply for the license the following day. Simple
    Say, for example, you decide to go get your provisonal one day.
    You ring up the handy number for the test centre and they say ok, we can book you in in 2 weeks time, you think grand, thats that done.
    Next on my list is an eye test cert, ring them up and they say drop down tomorrow.
    Now what happens if you fail your theory test first time?
    There goes one valid eye test cert.

GreeBo wrote:
    errrrr ok.
    No, seriously. Why? It's a completely trivial matter. You have no reason to get this eyesight test, other than to apply for a driving licence, a process which takes a few minutes of your time to fill out and pop in the post. How does a 30-day validity period in any way affect you?
    no, but often they are (Stamp Duty anyone?)
    You see, this is the problem. People automatically assume that because the Government seem to be charging for no good reason, then it's a scam. Fact of the matter is, the Government needs money. Stamp duty is too high at the moment, but it is necessary.
    If this is a scam, it lines the pockets of opticians, nobody else. I can't see how it could be a scam in that case.

seamus wrote:
    No, seriously. Why? It's a completely trivial matter. You have no reason to get this eyesight test, other than to apply for a driving licence, a process which takes a few minutes of your time to fill out and pop in the post. How does a 30-day validity period in any way affect you?
    See previous post. Or, say you get run down by a bus and spend 5 weeks in a coma.
    AND you are forgetting about the Theory Test. Give me a solid reason why it couldnt be valid for 6 months.
    seamus wrote:
    You see, this is the problem. People automatically assume that because the Government seem to be charging for no good reason, then it's a scam. Fact of the matter is, the Government needs money. Stamp duty is too high at the moment, but it is necessary.
    If this is a scam, it lines the pockets of opticians, nobody else. I can't see how it could be a scam in that case.
    I know Governments need money which is why I have no time for the no Bin Tax muppets. Stamp Duty on the otherhand is a Prohibitive Cost thats needs to be updated as it no longer serves its purpose (Taxing Luxury Homes)

Oh and if you read my post you will see that I said "Sounds like a money spinner for someone to me" I didnt mention the government. If there is no good reason for a 1 month period then why is it so?

GreeBo wrote:
    See previous post. Or, say you get run down by a bus and spend 5 weeks in a coma.
    AND you are forgetting about the Theory Test. Give me a solid reason why it couldnt be valid for 6 months.
    If you've been run down by a bus, and spent 5 weeks in a coma, applying for a provisional licence is the last thing on your mind. </pedantic>
    I'm not forgetting about the theory test at all. To apply for the theory test involves picking up the phone. To get an eye test involves going to an optician. Ergo, most people will apply for the theory test, take a day off to do it, then on the same day as they pass, go down and get an eye test (because they've taken the time off, and have it to spare), photographs and send it all off in a big envelope.

You can continue to provide ways around it, but the question remains, Why?

Why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭IgnatiusJRiley

GreeBo wrote:

In fairness it should only really need to be valid for about a week.
    If you can't get yourself together to send off an application form within a month then you're just as likely to forget all about it and then start whinging about why the thing is only valid for 6 months.
    As for the theory test, surely you would read into all the requirements of getting your licence before going to get the eye test (I know I did) and therefore get it AFTER you have passed the theory test? Or is your complaint that these things aren't setup with lazy folk in mind?

GreeBo wrote:
    You can continue to provide ways around it, but the question remains, Why?

It's 30 days because...

when they wrote the regulations, they had to define a date.
    30 days seems like more than enuf time to get round to popping in into the post with the form. If they, the civil servants, felt that 30 days wasn't enough, it'd be 60 days or 90 days.

or... more simply put.
    That's just the way it is.

• Advertisement

Bogger77 wrote:
    It's 30 days because...

when they wrote the regulations, they had to define a date.
    30 days seems like more than enuf time to get round to popping in into the post with the form. If they, the civil servants, felt that 30 days wasn't enough, it'd be 60 days or 90 days.

or... more simply put.
    That's just the way it is.
    So the 30 days has nothing to do with your eyes its purely the validity of the form, which you have to pay to get.

dont make no sense to me boss.

Advertisement