Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gladiator

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

bloody excellent
    the missus enjoyed it too
    the first battle scene was trmendous. now you know how those little guys feel in age of empires - fall of rome smile.gif
    and the scenes where he coms out and starts hacking ppl to death were cool too
    specialy the bit where they made the tortise shell aginst the chariots
    however, i thought it was a bit overthe top or a 15s move. some of it was gory to say the least. lik where the chariot wheel spike cuts yerone in half.......that had to hurt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

well, what can i say. Ive been waiting for along time for this flick, and was it worth it, well, lets just say the sight of a lady warrior being chopped in half by rotating blades was one of many, many highlights. From the breathtaking opening, when lighted arrows pierce the sky above the battlefield, i was entranced. This film is utterly beautiful to look at, kudos to Mr Scott, especially the recreation of Rome. The movie does have an almost epic feel, and i loved that about it too. The action was thick, fast and gorier that a really bad Bull Island scetch. The acting was terribly impressive, from Pheonix, who managed to instill his petulent, snide, fu*cked up emperor with at least a modicum of humanity, Richard Harris, at his melancholy best, and Oliver Reed as the Hell On wheels Proximo. Star of the show, Crowe, makes the most of this though, from the opening sequence till the last scene, he commands the screen with more presence that ten times the bloated, egoed so-called action hero's like Schwarzwenegger and Stallone (uhhh ammmm duhh luhhh!). The man can actually act! From spitting on the ground in disgust at the hordes who watch him slaughter fellow gladiators, to rubbing his hands in the dirt, to real poignancy when he tells of what he will do with his family in the afterlife, he's really fantastic. If, i had a problem with the film, i was let down by the ending, but in a year of rich cinematic gems, man, this will be in my top ten come years end. Anyway, i fuc*king liked it, could you tell??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Top notch soundtrack too, just got it today - v reminiscent of Holst's The Planet Suite - deadly stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

Lots of high speed cameras used so people can see every move in crystal clear quality. Now, if this is the way movies are going, why the **** do we want motion blur in fps =).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Wyverne

great film, yeah 5 stars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Good..Not brilliant.....
    Well made but very little story though....
    Russell Crowe was excellent.

Castor if you like the soundtrack hunt down some Dead Can Dance albums. Lisa Gerard was one half of the Band and the bits with her singing are classic DCD. Off out to buy it tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,407 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Go to see it.

Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

A truly excellent film, technically superb, absolutely amazing special effects and CGI (computer generated imagery) like I've never seen before...

saying all that, I wasn't as impressed as I was expecting to be- I still thought the acting and the story line could have been *some* bit better, - the character of the treacherous young emperor could have been fleshed out a bit more... I dunno, I left the cinema kinda shruggy, thinking - yeah excellent film, but why don't I feel as good coming out of it as I should do?... y'know?

No all-time classic, - although a big "fair play" and "well done" to Ridley Scott

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Dogs ******** that movie right dayer....cats pj's..cammels hump...spider's ankles...bee's knees...baboon's **** ..elephant's trunk.....etc etc etc

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I know exactly how you feel Bard - my exact thoughts on it. I was hyped into expecting THE Hollywood movie, but it was just another fantastic Hollywood mmovie (does that make any sense? Probably not)

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

aye, Kharn... makes perfect sense to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭tr1n1ty

Yes I have seen! The other half was mad to go see it last weekend. Given that its over 2 and a half hours long we settled on going to the early showing, which leaves some drinking time.... I have to say that I was not a willing companion but its amazing what I'll do for popcorn with butter and diet coke. Anyway enough said I really enjoyed the film - Maximus (the Gladiator), girls, is a truly handsome specimen, in or out of the cage! and there's buckets of blood and gore for the guys - they really do work wonders with special effects these days. I thought the guy who was cast as Caesar acted 'out of his skin' and Oliver Reid was Oliver Reid - brilliant!

So all in all - it will have you stuck to the seat - and thats not the chewing gum!

Anyway I'm not saying anymore - just go and see it.

To Infinity and Beyond!

I thought I had posted my missive on this film but it would appear that it has gone elsewhere?

Anyway went to see it at the weekend and it was terrific - what can I say, Maximus (the gladiator) is just drop dead gorgeous, in or out of the cage! I didn't know that women back then paid buckets of money to have their 'wicked way' with a gladiator - did ye? Anyway the actor who plays Caesar was excellent,suitably devious on all counts!
    And there was buckets of blood and gore - tis amazing what they can do with special effects these days, unfortunately its a little to real for my likeing. Anyway it seemed to have a wide appeal, an older lady accosted me in the Ladies afterwards to tell me how brilliant it was - how did she know I was at The Gladiator?

Anyway go see it - if you haven't the money, borrow it but don't miss this film!

To Infinity and Beyond!

Just found the first post. Well I wrote the review twice, to be sure, to be sure.

To Infinity and Beyond!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Just picked up the soundtrack aswell. Elysium and Now We Are Free are incredible, well worth getting the album for alone.

Ps. Tr1n1ty "Infinity and Beyond", is that your goal with postings for this thread... wink.gif
    Maximus was Russell Crowe, and Commodus (Emperor Toilet?) was Joaquim Pheonix.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement