Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gladiator

Options
  • 05-05-2000 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭

Anyone seen this...and if so...is it any good?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ThunderingMike

Well having read a number of reviews and heard good things about it from a mate in London , I assume it will be Scotts best in a long long time. Was he the one that did G.I Jane? That was a really crappy film.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭SPACE COWBOY

Yeah, Scott was responsible for G.I.Jane.
    This film looks pretty good, it's out next Friday. www.gladiator-thefilm.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Coyote

He did some other movie you might remember like Alien.

Ok so can anyone list the films done by Ridley Scott and those done by Tony Scott? I can only think of a couple each did.Between them they have made some great films (Alien , Blade Runner , Thelma And Louise etc) but I just do not know which brother made what film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Tony Scott: Days of Thunder, Top Gun, True Romance, Crimson Tide.

Ridley Scott: Alien, Blade Runner, Legend, 1492, Thelma & Louise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

its also Oliver Reid's last film, he died during shooting.

Well having seen the list kindly provided by Mr. Troy, I went off in search of other films the brothers scott were involved in and came up with this list:

Ridley : GI Jane; The Duelists; Alien; Blade Runner (and its numerous 'special' editions); Legend; Someone To Watch Over me; Thelma and Louise; 1492: Conquest of Paradise; Monkey Trouble; The Browning Version; White Squall; Gladiator.

Tony : Enemy Of the State; The Fan; Crimson Tide; Clay Pidgeons; True Romance; The Last Boy Scout; Days of Thunder; Revenge; Beverly Hills cop II; Top Gun; The Hunger.

I wonder which brother is better. I would have to go with Tony. Crimson Tide is an excellent film. Both directors have gone through that 'will work for food' phase and of the two , Tony emerged with a shred of credibility. He only produced a TV series (The Hunger). Ridley made...erk...Monkey Trouble and White Squall smile.gif Although Ridley did make Alien...

Errr I think you'll find Ridley has made the better films, though they have both made some complete duds.

Alien & Blade Runner are two of the best and most influential SF movies ever - BR only had the one special edition btw, the (vastly superior) Director's Cut. Thelma & Louise was also good, but most everything else on Ridley's list is pretty bad, GI Jane in particular is one of the worst films of the 90's.

As for Tony, True Romance is the only good film on his list. Last Boy Scout was entertaining in a 'oh my god this is crap' way smile.gif Crimson Tide sucked so badly, and I had been looking forward to it a lot when it came out in the cinemas - devoid of tension, and the script!! Even though Tarantino wasn't billed as one of the script doctors, you know he had a hand in it when Denzel Washington starts spouting $hite about the Silver Surfer for absolutely no good reason whatsoever.

And any man who could make Days of Thunder - oh dear oh dear. For more on DoT, and a fascinating read in general, check 'High Concept', Don Simpson's biography - you'll beleive a man can really overdo things smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Still...has anyone seen gladiator...and is it anygood?..i didn't ask for the past histores of folks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Pretence

Well seen as its not out till Friday................unlikely biggrin.gif

Should be good though, that tiger in the trailer kicks ass

• Advertisement

Originally posted by plastic membrane:
    This guy is gonna be a movie icon, and seeing as how this is his first real leading role

He had the lead in Romper Stomper too - admittedly a smaller budget film than Gladiator smile.gif , and one of the two leads in The Insider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Put it this way, ive been waiting for this movie ever since Russell Crowe was cast. This guy is gonna be a movie icon, and seeing as how this is his first real leading role, and it's directed by Ridley Scott, its gonna be better than suckling on a ladies boobies. Well, just as good anyway. Ridley does make the odd dud, like the incedibly offensive G I Jane, but you've still gotta respect the man. His brother is the same, but i loved Crimson Tide and True Romance, as im pretty sure Top Gun was just a taking the **** out of the americans so much movie that they never got it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Pretence

Wasn't he in LA Confidential as well??

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

He was in Virtuosity as well.

Draco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Alright, your right, jeez dont kill me over it. Thing about Gladiator is, in this he is the star of the show, wheras in The Insider he was the star with Al Pacino, and in LA Confidential he was part of an ensemble (by the way, what a brilliant film LA Confidential is). I confess i havent seen Romper Stomper, but ill check it out soon. But Gladiator is a huge Hollywood movie, and the one that will make him a major star.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Still tho' has anyone seen the film...and is it any good?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Someone just said that it's not out yet Sher!!!

Next week (AFAIK)

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

There was a few previews at the weekend - a girl in work seen it and thought it was good.

Draco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭damo

was russel crowe hando or davey in romper stomper?

Hando.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,405 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Waldron, gonna see this next week at virgin? Tues or Wed?

Alo.

impressive, most impressive.

although that cgi Rome looked a bit, erm, grey.

I just got back from the Cinema and all I can say is WOW! I really enjoyed that movie. Did you see the bit with the! And the part where he! Too many to think of. Very enjoyable.

Anyway, the butler did it.

I saw it earlier today and thought it was great - I couldn't believe tht 2 and a half hours had gone by. The fights were suitably boodly, the bad guy suitably evil, the romantic interest suitably cute. Have I used suitably enough wink.gif
    Anyway - it's a great flick - but not one you'd bring a girlie to.

Draco

S'alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I must go to that next week.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I have one big problem with this "Gladiator" movie...

... namely, resisting the urge to shout out "0wned!" and "fvcking take it!" during fight and battle scenes. I failed on one occasion, and actually DID shout out "0wned" at the dual-sword beheading scene. I think some of the people there thought I was rather strange, but they understood where I was coming from wink.gif

Go see this movie. There are people even today who bl33t and moan about how they didn't get to see Ben Hur or Spartacus when they were in the cinema first time around... Don't be one of those people in 20 years time. See Gladiator this week... Or your life is forfeit.

Ja,
    Rob

--
    [EED]Shinji -=*=- shinji@electricdeath.com
    http://www.utgamer.com

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Excellent flick, but not quite the epic it's being made out to be, but don't get me wrong, I really, really liked it!

I agree with all above, the fight scenes were good 'n' gory and I also had to really resist the urge to start roaring my praise at the boys whilst they were dishing out the beheadings! biggrin.gif

Go and see if you haven't already!

McDermo - I can't go see it with ya this week - I'm broke!!! frown.gif

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yep saw this piccie last night and its class. Its unusual a film that lives up to all the hype. Russell Crowe is cool and I thought Ollie Reed was excellent as well.

I just love films that make all the girlies in the audience squirm with all the gory violence smile.gif

Hmmm must go and book tickets to see it on a bigger screen.

Gandalf.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement