Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have your Bus change ready

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

When I'm getting on a bus I'm usually in a rush. I'm paranoid if I don't pay and get seated fast enough, the bus driver'll just shove me off the bus and go tearing off down the road laughing like a madman/woman. People fumbling is highly irritating, especially if you've been both running and getting your change out at the same time.

But it's annoying that it seems every other day they're upping the price by 5 cents or whatnot, so you never know how much the fare actually is. Still, no excuse. I usually get out what fare I think it is, then additional money for what I could be.

Or you just say "45cent" or whatever much, give the money, and get off wherever. Which I don't recommend... it's illegal.. probably... *shifty*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Cookie wrote:
    I hate the queues for ATMs. ppl wait until they are AT the ATM before starting to hunt through their pockets for their wallets for their card. :mad:

I keep my ATM card in my hand, but still in my packet in the queue for the ATM, for fear that YET another scumbag will think that it's great fun to take someone's ATM Card, even if they haven't a barney what the PIN is.... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Interesting thread... :)
    (and who REALLY is gonna go all the way to No 59 to cash their change ticket - now if you could cash them anywhere that sells bus tickets in the first place tho..... )

I have to point out; most charities and almost all people begging in the streets will gladly accept your bus refund. Imagine how much extra cash they'd make if everyone that wasn't going to get a refund gave them away. :D

Dublin Bus made an extra 3 million in unrefunded bus tickets last year... I'll never throw my refund in the bin PURELY by principle

• Registered Users Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭fletch

Cookie wrote:
    I hate the queues for ATMs. ppl wait until they are AT the ATM before starting to hunt through their pockets for their wallets for their card. :mad:
    What I really hate at ATM's is those people who read every word on every screen when they're gettin money out. They must know the sequence by now & I know they're dif for each ATM but you get to know them.
    You see them standing there ponderin...Mmmm...what doo i want to do! Jus wrecks my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I have to point out; most charities and almost all people begging in the streets will gladly accept your bus refund. Imagine how much extra cash they'd make if everyone that wasn't going to get a refund gave them away. :D

Dublin Bus made an extra 3 million in unrefunded bus tickets last year... I'll never throw my refund in the bin PURELY by principle
    for some reason i thought they gave that to charity? (probably just so people wouldnt complain?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

dazberry wrote:
    ...as they're asking, they block BOTH passages (i.e. the ticket passage) on to the bus...

Come to Cork most drivers only open one "passage" regardless.
    Saruman wrote:
    I got myself one of them coin holder thingies in Roches stores. i can get any ammount of change out in seconds now rather than counting it and going through it. Its so handy as now i can actually use the 1 and 2 c coins :D

Cool, I now have 4 drawers full of sub 50c coins accrued since 2002.
    I want to lodge them but will a bank trust my bagging or their weighing scales?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

jacko wrote:
    Why can't people have their change ready before stepping onto the bus ... not being sexist or anything but its women who are the culprits 99% of the time ... fumbling in their purses for the coppers ...It obviously pisses the drivers off no end judging by the amount of sighs that can be heard coming from them.

not have change ready means you are disorganised

having your change ready means you are organised

it's trendy, cool and more fashionable to be disorganised

i.e. "organised people are nerds and are boring and predictable"

just like it's cool to say you can't remember your Inter/Leaving Cert results

BTW - I always have my bus card ready and can remember what I got in my Inter Cert

But it's annoying that it seems every other day they're upping the price by 5 cents or whatnot, so you never know how much the fare actually is.

:rolleyes: I think there have been maybe 3 or 4 increases in the last 13 years
    [plus the Euro changeover]

hardly translates to a fare increase 182 or 183 times a year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

nlgbbbblth wrote:

just like it's cool to say you can't remember your Inter/Leaving Cert results

Good point. How could anyone forget that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

nlgbbbblth, the coolness or uncoolness of organisation - or indeed anything - is related to the effort required.

Counting change takes some daily effort so it is uncool.
    You are using a bus pass which takes no daily effort so that is cool.

• Advertisement

it's just another example of crappy ireland. over here in london the majority of people buy their bus tickets in advance for the week/month/year. all you have to do is show it to the driver. there is also the smart cards which you just touch it to a reader. in centeral london the buses don't accept cash so you buy a ticket from a machine at the stop.
    and the way off the bus is by the rear doors so no having to fight past hordes of people trying to get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭JP Mulvano

Hold on you're saying Ireland is crappy, and believe me I do agree to some regards, because people take alot of time in a queue of a bus or ATM. thats a bit harsh.

I'd rather take alot of time in a queue than be dilapidated super power bent on following our "Friends" across the pond to the brink of annihilation, AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRRRRGG

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

parsi wrote:
    One thing that always amused me going to get the bus was the sign on the bus saying "Exact change only" but no sign telling you the fare?

Could that be something to do with the fact that there is no set fare....it could be 45c,55c,85c,125c,165,175,305c.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

another thing that really pi***s me off on the bus (for some reason it happens nearly all the time on the number 7) why oh why do people insist on standing downstairs on the bus when there are plenty of seats upstairs... dont know how many times a bus has flown by the stop cos it looks jammers downstairs but there are loads of seats upstairs... it like people are afraid to go upstairs cos if it is full and they come down everybody will be laughing at them..

I can understand it if there are a load of scumbags upstairs and maybe you feel a bit threatened if you are on your own... but when i worked in Ballsbridge it happened nearly every day....

gazzer wrote:
    another thing that really pi***s me off on the bus (for some reason it happens nearly all the time on the number 7) why oh why do people insist on standing downstairs on the bus when there are plenty of seats upstairs... dont know how many times a bus has flown by the stop cos it looks jammers downstairs but there are loads of seats upstairs... it like people are afraid to go upstairs cos if it is full and they come down everybody will be laughing at them..

I can understand it if there are a load of scumbags upstairs and maybe you feel a bit threatened if you are on your own... but when i worked in Ballsbridge it happened nearly every day....

agree totally
    there's no shame in going upstairs checking for a seat - if there's none so what? at least you have tried

people who do that really bug me - especially when I am getting off and have to plough through people blocking the downstairs area. I usually say "there's loads of seats upstairs" in a pissed-off voice.

there should be some law that makes it legal for us to "glass" (preferably with broken bottle or shattered pint glass) people who stand downstairs while there are seats upstairs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

The only reason I can think of for standing downstairs when there are seats upstairs would be that you're getting off on practically the next stop and there's no point going all the way up just to come back down a second later.

In which case you might as well just walk!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,310 ✭✭✭✭Victor

For those that don't know how much the fare is either :

(a) use a timetable to work it out

(b) consider "how long is this journey" - from O'Connell Street €0.85 usually gets you to the canal, €1.25 gets you to roughly the city boundary.

(c) state destination clearly to driver while holding 8x20c (or combination of other coins that allow 80c, €1.20, €1.40, €1.60 ) and 1x5c. This will get you anywhere from the city centre to anywhere between Swords, Lucan and Shankill.
    Kaiser2000 wrote:
    now if you could cash them anywhere that sells bus tickets in the first place tho..... )
    Cue people stealing bus ticket paper to write up receipts for "€499.15" :D
    dazberry wrote:
    While this process is going on NO ONE can get on the bus at all :(
    Say "excuse me".
    On one occasion even had a pair of teens snogging practically in my right ear - sigh.
    Did you ask to join in ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,310 ✭✭✭✭Victor

gazzer wrote:
    another thing that really pi***s me off on the bus (for some reason it happens nearly all the time on the number 7) why oh why do people insist on standing downstairs on the bus when there are plenty of seats upstairs... dont know how many times a bus has flown by the stop cos it looks jammers downstairs but there are loads of seats upstairs... it like people are afraid to go upstairs cos if it is full and they come down everybody will be laughing at them.. I can understand it if there are a load of scumbags upstairs and maybe you feel a bit threatened if you are on your own... but when i worked in Ballsbridge it happened nearly every day....
    It's sheep syndrome. Someone is going 3 stops or getting off in the next few stop. People board. The wolves go upstairs, but the sheep see someone standing there and think "oh, upstairs must be full". The more sheep the worse it gets and the higher percentage of sheep / confused wolves at the next stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

tbh I find people who use change really annoying, I always have a bus card handy which saves a lot of time in the stop stages as I don't need to deal with the driver, you ****ers are wasting all of my time, which could be as much as 5 minutes a day, working out to 30 hours a year!

Have your bus ticket ready :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Well some of us don't take the bus regularly to know what the fare is going to be. So you are dependent on the driver (or the person behind you snarling and grinding their teeth, while fiddling with their machette and eyeing the two grannies accross from you with bloodshot twitchy eyes) to tell you what the fare is. And then you try to count out your change, realise you don't have enough and accept that you have to chuck in the €2 coin anyway.

I used to get annoyed about things like this and people that cause this sort of hassle. I'd plan to have them against the wall when the revolution came. But I realised that I'd need a wall about the size of the great wall of China.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Metrobest

Worst of all are the pokers. These are people who quickly 'poke' their heads upstairs and rush back down again because they think everyone is looking at them. (There's always a few spare seats at the back beside the junkies, flashers and paedos) :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

Worst of all are the pokers. These are people who quickly 'poke' their heads upstairs and rush back down again because they think everyone is looking at them.

LOL...... yeah you always have a few of them on the bus dont you. Glad to hear i am not the only person who gets annoyed at the fare counting and seat dodging people who we see all the time..... dont get me started on people with buggies....aghhhh..... if you see a bus coming... take the child out and fold the buggy... dont wait till the bus comes and the driver having to ask you.

Got a bus from Mulhuddart one day and i swear to god there was 5 women with buggies at the next stop..... they all tried to get onto the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,738 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Originlly posted by Foreign
    and the way off the bus is by the rear doors so no having to fight past hordes of people trying to get on!

Ah they tried that here in the mid-90s. Who remembers the leaflets and advertising telling us from now on we had to exit via the rear doors?

But... the drivers wouldn't operate it apparently - partly because of scumbags opening the doors from the outside (which cuts the transmission as a safety feature and usually requires the driver to close the doors from the outside..trying from the cab doesn't work).

So now we have 380-odd buses without rear doors at all and hugely increased loading times...progress eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭littleninja

After reading this post I went out and cashed in the old bus tickets I had lying in my bedroom, it wasn't much but it was still money I didn't have at the time, so it was nice :) I hated seeing them gathering there but had always forgotten to bring them into town with me to get the refunds back. So, when my hours changed in work I went in early and refunded any money owed to me

Advertisement