Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have your Bus change ready

Options
  • 24-09-2004 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

Dont know if it's just me or does anyone else find this really annoying. While waiting for the bus I always get the correct change (or bus card) ready so when thè bus comes I just hop on ...no problem....
    Now heres the problem ... there's this dumb little kid that gets the same bus as me every morning and without fail he's always fumbling in his pockets for change causing a holdup.... but here's the clincher .. his mother gets on with him and she always does the same.

Why can't people have their change ready before stepping onto the bus ... not being sexist or anything but its women who are the culprits 99% of the time ... fumbling in their purses for the coppers ...It obviously pisses the drivers off no end judging by the amount of sighs that can be heard coming from them.

some may think i'm being petty over a small thing but it just does my head in

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭fletch

Totally agree with ya....thats why I love gettin trains...none of that bul!sh1t. Suppose its like the way women go shopping and then get a complete shock when they get to the till and realise that they actually have to pay! Like that was totally unexpected!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I have to say that really pisses me off as well...

Surely they should be thinking, 'ok im about to get on a bus, maybe i should have my fare ready'.. but nooooo.... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kêrmêttê

I'm female and always have my money ready at busses and checkout tills.
    But then again I'm too efficient for my own good!! ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

One thing that always amused me arriving in Heuston and going to get the bus was the sign on the bus saying "Exact change only" but no sign telling you the fare.. were all us people up from the country supposed to be psychic ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭bandraoi

Similiar thing in airports,

Lads you know that when you get up to the check in desk, they'll ask for your passport and your booking code, so have the damn thing in your hand ready to give them not buried somewhere at the bottom of your bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

But then there is the other side to having your change ready, I have found my self getting the money together the night before.......thats getting a bit too scary....or anal.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

parsi wrote:
    One thing that always amused me arriving in Heuston and going to get the bus was the sign on the bus saying "Exact change only" but no sign telling you the fare.. were all us people up from the country supposed to be psychic ?

Oh aye, sure all country people have magical leipreachán friends. :-)

As for the change, I always have mine ready, I even put the coins in order of size and have them all facing the same way (heads on top). And I'm a woman so there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭bandraoi

parsi wrote:
    Here's a little tip that I find very useful - ask for a ticket to Dublin City Centre when you're buying your train ticket in Galway or Limerick or wherever, then you're covered for the 90 bus too and it's cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭JP Mulvano

The worst is the people who get to the top of cinema Q's and debate what film they'll go to.

F&*Ksake I mean come you've been in the Q for probably 10 minutes and now you decide. I think I should be allowed to Knee-cap these kinds of people. you know who you are!! and look out for the angry individual behind you growling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

But then there is the other side to having your change ready, I have found my self getting the money together the night before.......thats getting a bit too scary....or anal.....

Nah, you're okay until you start polishing the coins with ketchup to make them all nice and sparkly for the bus driver.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

bandraoi wrote:
    Here's a little tip that I find very useful - ask for a ticket to Dublin City Centre when you're buying your train ticket in Galway or Limerick or wherever, then you're covered for the 90 bus too and it's cheaper.

Do they still do that ? I tried it a few times and got strange looks.. I did it on a contract ticket once as well. It would be a good idea if every rail ticket to Dublin was to O'Connell Bridge rather thane Hesuton..

• Registered Users Posts: 18 downey

fletch wrote:
    Suppose its like the way women go shopping and then get a complete shock when they get to the till and realise that they actually have to pay! Like that was totally unexpected!
    So true!! never took notice of it before till you brought it to my attention!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

simu wrote:
    Nah, you're okay until you start polishing the coins with ketchup to make them all nice and sparkly for the bus driver.
    I use coke to make them sparkly..... :o:o (J/k)
    Ketchup would be cool, your pocket would smell lovely all the time then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I rarely use buses and I hate holding up queue's for more than 5 seconds but I never know how much I have to pay. If I ask the driver I'll certainly be holding up the queue getting the correct amount so I usually just throw about 2 euro in for a 5min drive. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Heres what you do.While sitting on the bus you get change ready and wait for someone to get on and fumble for the correct fare.Next you jump outa your seat , tear down the bus screaming "FILTHY BASTARD" dive into the air smacking them in the face with a flying swan kick, as they stumble back shocked go down on one knee and send an open palm into the crotch ,this will make them bend forward in pain...This is your chance , give them a taste of your knee with a 'raging rising dragon knee of death' to the chin. This will burst them open for sure sending blood spraying in all directions. While they are stunned grab two nearby Grannys. Take on in each arm and clank their heads into the culprit, one on each side of their head.Finish off with a 'naplam backflip to the face' and watch them burst into flames.

The chances are they will be knocked out at this point and you may feel mercy and decide to stop...fight the mercy ! sit on their chest - take out your willy and slap them in the face with it repeatedly while you break their nose with a pliers. ( you can get one in any common hardware shop )

Calmly get up and pop the change that you had ready into the fare thingy and say "85 please" or "1.65" depends if your in a good mood and feeling generous.

But yeah those people anoy me a tad too...specially if your trying to get somewhere by a certain time and your running late

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭JP Mulvano

No sh1t they make you angry, wow want a rant!!! impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Tusky wrote:
    Heres what you do.While sitting on the bus you get change ready and wait for someone to get on and fumble for the correct fare.Next you jump outa your seat , tear down the bus screaming "FILTHY BASTARD" dive into the air smacking them in the face with a flying swan kick, as they stumble back shocked go down on one knee and send an open palm into the crotch ,this will make them bend forward in pain...This is your chance , give them a taste of your knee with a 'raging rising dragon knee of death' to the chin. This will burst them open for sure sending blood spraying in all directions. While they are stunned grab two nearby Grannys. Take on in each arm and clank their heads into the culprit, one on each side of their head.Finish off with a 'naplam backflip to the face' and watch them burst into flames.
    No need to tell anyone what forum you moderate. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

eirebhoy wrote:
    No need to tell anyone what forum you moderate. ;)
    Nature / Birdwatching?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

its also annoying when a load of kids push past you on the que!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭littleninja

Have to agree that it is annoying seeing people holding up queues, it's not too much to ask to actually have the money ready. I usually do have enough change (owing to the amount of coins that I seem to accumulate on an almost daily basis) But if I don't have the right change, I'll give them as near to it as I have on hand at the time. Either way, I would get it ready before I got on the bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Rozabeez wrote:
    its also annoying when a load of kids push past you on the que!

very true, im not being rascist or whatever but its generally foreign students and/or old ladies, once the driver stopped the students getting on because the nearly knocked over some old lady with their barging.

i always have my fare ready so that i take no more than 5 seconds at the machine

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Just buy a bus pass. I have not used cash on a bus in years, though I use the buses very regularly. No fumbling with change, no slow queues because the bus pass queue is a lot quicker. You can hop off a bus if you see another one behind that suit you better without having to pay any more. Very convenient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

As for the change, I always have mine ready, I even put the coins in order of size and have them all facing the same way (heads on top). And I'm a woman so there!
    Same here, if i'm really bored, and wondering if the bus will turn up 10 mins late, as it usually does, or if it will actually fail to turn up again thats how i ammuse myself.

I also get kciks by using as many coppers as i can, and shortchanging the driver by 1cent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Chevano Riley

my mother used to do that for me when i was in school. a 20p, 10p and 5p sellotaped together. one little pile for every day of the week. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Cookie

I hate the queues for ATMs. ppl wait until they are AT the ATM before starting to hunt through their pockets for their wallets for their card. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I also get kciks by using as many coppers as i can, and shortchanging the driver by 1cent!
    The bus driver gets pissed off if you pay the £1.65 with 1p's and 2p's (before the euro). Has that changed @ all? It cloged up the machine, and when he asked "was that all of it?", i take the remainder handfuls out of my pocket, and give it to him :p
    Cookie wrote:
    I hate the queues for ATMs. ppl wait until they are AT the ATM before starting to hunt through their pockets for their wallets for their card. :mad:
    Depends what part of the city I'm in :rolleyes: :p

=====

Mainly, for the bus I've either a bus ticket, or a €2 coin. As for the cinema, I already know what I want to watch, unless I've seen nearly everything, then I ask; "is there any good violent films out, lately?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭blobert

People tend get impatient when they are queing for things, but once they get to the top of the queue they get lazy and start taking their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I got myself one of them coin holder thingies in Roches stores. i can get any ammount of change out in seconds now rather than counting it and going through it. Its so handy as now i can actually use the 1 and 2 c coins :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Interesting thread... :)

Relies on the premise that

(1) you've been standing at the bus stop for a while (in which case yes theres's no excuse for not having the change ready) as opposed to running like a madman for it before it pulls off (generally with the driver laughing in the mirror at you as you chase it for a few yards) and you stand up to 30 minutes waiting for another one while they pass in 3's in the opposite direction! (Anyone who's waited for a bus to town from the Blanch Centre in the evening will know what I mean).

and..

(2) That you know the exact fare, cause rarely will they tell you the correct one, or you guess, they hit the button and THEN smugly tell you how much you've just been overcharged by (and who REALLY is gonna go all the way to No 59 to cash their change ticket - now if you could cash them anywhere that sells bus tickets in the first place tho..... )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

I was driven demented over the summer 'cos of this because it happened fooking every evening going home - and I'm guessing its all the fault of Bewleys Hotel at Newlands Cross.

Ok, a lot of foreign tourists - no problem - they're more than welcome. But but but, picture this:
    Mostly these would have been couples, maybe with kids. So, they have to ask the bus driver - which is fine. But as they're asking, they block BOTH passages (i.e. the ticket passage) on to the bus. So the bus driver figures? it out and tells them. Out comes some cash note. Bus driver explains coins only. Fumbling begins - coins are inserted ... While this process is going on NO ONE can get on the bus at all :(

Then you have the gangs of foreign teens - which in fairness sometimes were prepared and had prepay tickets. But geez, talk about a wave of people trying to get thru' one small door at the exact same time (elbow deployment required - purely for safety reasons). But you know the upshot of all this - your eardrums are in pretty bad shape before you even get on the bus, never mind when you get off. On one occasion even had a pair of teens snogging practically in my right ear - sigh.

Glad I got all that out - thanks :)

D.

Advertisement