Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a proper pub4tcd?

Options
  • 18-09-2004 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭

lincoln inn is up for lease at the mo.

Just thinking its a pity they didnt convert it into a larger /better bar run by the students for the students. i heard the su were trying for ages to get tcd to give it to them, could have been great. in a handy location aswell. also there was a back door where tcd students could enter via the main campus.

anyone else think tcd should have given lincoln inn to the students?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I thought they had. What ws the story with that place. Why was it closed down? My brother drank in there years back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭celingfan

Eh..... PAV !!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

the pav gets way too crowded, its only nice during the summer when you can sit out.

lincoln inn is just basically another way4tcd to get money thru leasing(goverment cutbacks, there wasno chance they would give it too the students). lincoln inn could be a version of the a pav but ppl could sit down and not have to stand the whole time and its a really old/traditional pub on the inside. Now its just going to be another rip -off super bar like messers and their 3eur for glass of coke!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I thought the SU had Lincoln Inn too. I heard plans of it being converted into a students' centre with a proper pub.

Yea last i heard they were still in the bidding process and it was going to be the Student centre run by the SU and CSC

• Advertisement

but then why does it have a for lease sign outside. if tcd was going to give it the students it probably wouldn't have gone public on it, why it want o get more money out of the su if it funds the su?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

snorlax wrote:
    the pav gets way too crowded, its only nice during the summer when you can sit out.

Shhhhh.. What are you, afraid of people or something? The pav is deadly craic anytime of year!

no but you cant even move or put your drinks down, the only good thing is the prices! its also full of jocks/posers!

snorlax wrote:
    no but you cant even move or put your drinks down, the only good thing is the prices! its also full of jocks/posers!

Pfft.. HOOP.. Get the boat and stop your whining. The pav has the best atmosphere of any pub I've ever been in (Doyles is a close second).
    Where you from? The only time "jocks" and "posers" would be there is during an afternoon when there is a visiting rugby team etc.. It's mostly hamilton end students there who are anything BUT what you describe.
    Friday nite is the only time that it's that packed. Either start early and get a seat or go outside (the atmosphere follows) with a thick jacket on. It's quality now with the two awnings on either side!

snorlax wrote:
    but then why does it have a for lease sign outside. if tcd was going to give it the students it probably wouldn't have gone public on it, why it want o get more money out of the su if it funds the su?

Doesn't mean they won't get it, just that they have to bid for it like anyone else. Only right really.

• Advertisement

Apex, I like to sit over a nice pint on draught, Can't get that in the Pav, and not to push about the whole getting drunk scene. Also the lincoln inn had pool tables and the like before, so I think that might be interesting.

Boston wrote:
    Apex, I like to sit over a nice pint on draught, Can't get that in the Pav, and not to push about the whole getting drunk scene.
    A symptom of your age I'm afraid (you're PG right?). But yeah you imply correctly, the pav IS a "getting drunk" place. Not for the faint of heart.. So I suppose that's a fair point. Though draught is over-rated IMO..

Boston wrote:
    Also the lincoln inn had pool tables and the like before, so I think that might be interesting.
    Pool tables are nice in quiet pubs I'll admit, they make it less boring.

I just get peeved at snorlax's implication that the pav isn't a proper pub. Fair enough if it's not his type of pub (nothing suits everyone). Let me analogise it: say I don't like soccer, I'd never be so singleminded as to imply it's not a proper sport! That'd be just ignorant, it's the most played and popular sport in the world..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

So what you're trying to say is; lets make drinking a proper sport??

I'm going to remain an amateur so I can drink in the olympics

ApeXaviour wrote:
    A symptom of your age I'm afraid (you're PG right?). But yeah you imply correctly, the pav IS a "getting drunk" place. Not for the faint of heart.. So I suppose that's a fair point. Though draught is over-rated IMO..

Nope I'm younger then yourself, going into second year engineering. Just different drinking habits for different people. nothing beats a nice pint of cider on draught or from a bottle, if it's nice. So that what I do, rather two pints of bulmers then 7 cans of Dutch or berveria. And I don't like getting drunk for the simple reason it leaves a big whole in my pocket and I've a million in one things to be doing lately. Part time Job isn't the safest in the world, so I can't aford a hang over.

So what you're trying to say is; lets make drinking a proper sport??
    You've hit the nail on the head. Now take it out before you get more brain-damage.
    Boston wrote:
    Nope I'm younger then yourself, going into second year engineering. Just different drinking habits for different people.
    Fair enuf

Boston wrote:
    nothing beats a nice pint of cider on draught or from a bottle, if it's nice. So that what I do, rather two pints of bulmers then 7 cans of Dutch or berveria.
    Ah well I'm not a cider man so I wouldn't know. But of my friends who are into cider, they've fallen for stonehouse/druids as I have for bavaria. They hate bulmers and will drink it in a pub if it's the only cider.. I mean when do you ever get a bad pint out of a can? (I dunno if this is the case with cider, as I sed I don't drink that devils hangover piss ;) )
    Boston wrote:
    And I don't like getting drunk for the simple reason it leaves a big whole in my pocket
    EXACTLY the same reason I don't like drinking draught. I like getting drunk tho (with mate of course) and in the pav I can do it with gusto for 15 yoyos.. Fantastical!

I wouldn't look at it as a replacement for the Pav, more a replacement for the buttery. Which wouldn't be a bad thing. I actually like the buttery, as a Pub, just it's always dead in there.

On that I couldn't agree with you more... The only time I think I've ever enjoyed the buttery was the entire of freshers week, or when a band is playing. Sin é

they always turn the lights on bang on 11pm, then dump ur drinks into plastic container, and for some reason there's always gardai outside the buttery, the staff must need protection!

The pav is good but cant possibly cater for 15,000 students,ucd has 4bars for 20,000, so we'v got enough numbers for another bar. aswell the buttery does need a replacement, eg lincoln inn

Management at the buttery are abite pricky now that I think of it. Me and afew mates got a good old session going in there once, with singing rebel songs and the like and yer man told us to leave.

• Advertisement

The pav'd be a nice place to have a few chilled out bands playing from, around april or so. Nothing too loud so as to annoy the people in studying while its sunny!

The "gardaí" outside the buttery aren't gardaí - you haven't noticed how the security guards look exactly like the gardaí?

Buttery needs a revamp. And a damn jukebox.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

damn wanna be gardaí, you know they all failed the entrants exam for the gardaí and thats why the work there. any sorry bout that.
    trinity rejected the su's bid for lincoln place they werent going to rent it just run it on behalf of the college, like the buttery is done but that was rejected(i'd say the security gaurds had something to do with it!!)

Call_me_al wrote:
    damn wanna be gardaí, you know they all failed the entrants exam for the gardaí and thats why the work there. any sorry bout that.

That's just cruel, my experience of trinity security is that they're a pretty tolerant bunch of people. Not on a power trip like a lot of garda I've met.
    I may have been partially responsible for them getting garda-like uniforms you know.. The academic year ending before they got the uniforms I got caught doing something illegal on campus. I gave the security guard so much grief and just kept tryin to walk away. Then he called the garda and when they came I quietened down conceding defeat.. let them handcuff me and lead us off. The garda then gave us a long talk about respecting college security when they were lettin us outta pierce st.
    Call_me_al wrote:
    trinity rejected the su's bid for lincoln place they werent going to rent it just run it on behalf of the college, like the buttery is done but that was rejected(i'd say the security gaurds had something to do with it!!)
    It's stupid tho, I mean they could get some amount of revenue from that..

Call_me_al wrote:

Hey there just doing a job, no need to be an asshole towards them. You wouldn't like college to much without them.

Out of all the security guards in college that I've been in contact with only one is a dick, whether you're in trouble or not, the rest are sound and very helpful. I think college security are far better then most of us deserve!

I entirely agree John.. I deserved to be smacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

Before you get overly indulged in sentiment, let us all remember that the sgs are just like any other bunch of men aged 25-45. Most of them appear pleasant and friendly, some are indeed pleasany and friendly. In all our experiences, the sg really dont stick there noses in unless they have to. Although the football on the grass thing is annoying but understandable. And of course, if you go out of your to undermine or even insult these sg, they will go out of their way to make you "pay" for it. Jeez, I can only wonder that drunken silliness ApeX was doing to result in some chill out time with the bad boy bracelets.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

ok dont mean to tar them all with the same brushm there are a handful who seem out to make ppl's lives less fun(possibly for aforementioned reason) and there are a few nice guys but out of my SG run ins i have only meet 2 nice guys and the other few times they were smart ass' (in particular one) who obviously like the power trip.

Nah the security guards are sound enough. I've had long chats with one or two of them at front arch, the ones down at lincoln gate were grand when I asked to bring a few buses into college, I've known one of them for years, and also the guy at the security desk at the hamilton is grand too. They're usually very helpful if you don't piss them off!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭sleepingbeauty

all in all they seem pretty decent enough, theres always gonna be one or two who arent particularly nice but you get that everywhere
    also the guy at the security desk at the hamilton is grand too.
    yeah he's pretty alright- i remember he helped us when we had no idea where any of our lectures were in the first week of jf...ah the memories :D

Advertisement