Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finally!!! A Proper Ffvii Sequel!!!!!

Options
  • 17-09-2004 12:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭

Yes!!! Could this be the greatest news ever?!? Square are making a true sequel to ffvii (not the crappy mobile phone game announced some time ago) but a ps2 sequel. Lets hope its not a total cock up like ffx-2.

Got this from games radar.

[16/09/04 09:09]
    RPG's most hallowed franchise is revived and this time it IS a game

Square had always avoided making true sequels in their famed Final Fantasy series but broke that tradition with Final Fantasy X-2 and ever since fans have been clamouring for a sequel to the majestic FFVII. Square Enix have now responded to those cries with the announcement of FFVII: Dirge of Cerberus for PS2, scheduled to release in Japan in 2005.

In September 2003 FFVII: Advent Children was announced and fans jumped for joy, but only to land slightly deflated when it was revealed that it was in fact a straight-to-DVD CGI movie. Thankfully, this time it really is a game and the setting is one year on from Advent Children (three years after FFVII's events).

The main character is Vincent Valentine - the gun-toting vampire freak locked up in Shinra's Nibelheim mansion before being released by Cloud in FFVII. There are very few game details to speak of but Vincent carries on in the same vein being a gunner in DOC and comes up against a nefarious group known as the Dirge of Cerberus.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Looks from the screenshots like being a Devil May Cry-alike. My faith in Square is pretty low given their PS2 output, but you never know.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭the_obsolete

Hey X-2 was decent! Leave it alone I says!
    Also this is verrrrrrrry old news (to me at least), got a trailer for it at the beginning of the year!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hey X-2 was decent! Leave it alone I says!

It was crapola.
    Also this is verrrrrrrry old news (to me at least), got a trailer for it at the beginning of the year!

Trying not to be smart but no you didn´t it was the advent children trailer.

Personally I´ll probably buy this but don´t have much hope for it. Hironobu sakaguchi is the brains behind the FF series and never wanted any sequels to be made. But now that he is left Square-Enix are doing a great job of pimping out the franchise and slapping it on the front of lots of games. What I´m upset the most with is that since Sakaguchi-san won´t be involved in the project it won´t really be a true sequel storywise but something more akin to fan fiction. Square-Enix have lots of talent but there latest output has ranged from poor to disappointing. I´m more interested in the 3 RPGs that Hironobu Sakaguchis new studio are working on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Let me have my dream retro you buzzkill ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭the_obsolete

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Trying not to be smart but no you didn´t it was the advent children trailer.

But isn't Advent Children the sequel to FFVll?

ps- I apologise in advance if I'm horrrrribly wrong

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Advent children is only a cgi movie, not a game. This is an actually sequel, a proper game for the ps2.
    Tho im looking forward to advent children too, should be fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

i liked ix, but man was x and x-2 a dissapointment a good ff game since 7 with any degree of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

I'd say that Advent chilren is more of a proper sequel, and this is closer to a spin off, but it's too early to say. Apparently so many people wanted to know more about vincent they were going to make a game about him anyway.....so maybe this is the result of that?

Not looking forward to it anyway, lately final fantasy games have just been reminding me of why random encounters suck and un skippable movies make me want to kill game developers.......especially the lake scene, grrr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

CGI movie?

And any dates about advent children?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Don't know the dates for advent children but a bit of googling will turn it up.

Good news, was in barcelona recently and they had a tv advert for Advent Children in the subway so it looks certain there will be a European release.

(Trailer looks great especially with One Winged Angel playing in the background)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I'm in fear of Advent Children and Dirge of Cerberus. If they're good that's great, but I've got a horrible feeling they're going to awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

arrghh this is stupid theres a very high possibility they could wreck the FFVII story.

what is this generations obsession with sequels??? let a classic be a classic! look what happened to terminator and alien (movies i know but the storyline aspect of an RPG is very much comparable)

i'd much prefer to see a re-make, no script changes, no battle system changes, no voiced dialogue, just a graphical update.

I have to totally agree with you Nesthead. I fear these games could end up like the Matrix film. The first matrix is brilliant as a standalone film but the sequels make a complete mess of the story.

nesthead wrote:
    arrghh this is stupid theres a very high possibility they could wreck the FFVII story.

what is this generations obsession with sequels??? let a classic be a classic! look what happened to terminator and alien (movies i know but the storyline aspect of an RPG is very much comparable)

i'd much prefer to see a re-make, no script changes, no battle system changes, no voiced dialogue, just a graphical update.

it could be like x - 2, but it might alao be great a graphical remake would be really nice i must say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

So this a sequel to Final Fantasy 7 but isnt Final fantasy 8? As FF 9 is really 10 and what happneed to 9?

me is confused.

kdjac

All the Final Fantasy games have completely separate storylines except for FFX-2. So no need to play the ones before it.

Anyway:

Jump magazine scans a-go-go

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I think the game might be alright actually. In FF7 you dont really learn alot about Vincent and how he is connected to Sephiroth. You meet his mother in the cave but she dosen't tell you much. So they could clear some of that up but thats not really enough for a final fantasy game. They better get the thinking caps on for this one ;)

so afraid the fan-boys making this will cock it up. athough.... OMG THOSE SCREENSHOTS AND ARTWORK ARE TEH SECKS!!

nesthead wrote:
    so afraid the fan-boys making this will cock it up. athough.... OMG THOSE SCREENSHOTS AND ARTWORK ARE TEH SECKS!!

yeah but as long as they maintain some parts from 7 it should be allright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

i hope its **** lOOOOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Such bollocks. FFVII was a brilliant game with a brilliant ending that did not need a sequel, especcially a spin off about Vincent, a character who was OPTIONAL to receive in your party and beared almost no relevance to the main story.

They ruined FFX by bringing out FFX-2 which was the worst FF I've ever played in my life, and now they're going to ruin quite possibly the best and most talked about FF game ever made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

It's square's game, they can do whatever they like with it. Infact as it IS the most talked about and famous of FF games, there's just as much chance they'll take extra care and attention in maintaining the level of excellence as there is of them ruining it. FF7 was always begging for more; look at the Turks, Shin-ra, Vincent - there's much in the game that's left unresolved... Have a little faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

as long as they make it a proper RPG i'll be happy, but i really dont' want a 3rd person adventure/rpg hybrid or FPS hybrid like DMC...

the FF series has always been about turn based (ATB timer etc) rpg gaming, that is what is enjoyable and fun and FF fans have loved it in its various incarnations...

FFX-2 bored me to death, the story was poor, and too flimsy.. while FFX to me is a great game and just barely 2nd to FF7...

lets hope this "sequel" follows FF more traditionally like 9/10 than like X2.

Even FF games that aren't that great like 8/9 I enjoyed playing a GOOD bit the first time around, and I loved 10... more of the same pls square thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

It's square's game, they can do whatever they like with it. Infact as it IS the most talked about and famous of FF games, there's just as much chance they'll take extra care and attention in maintaining the level of excellence as there is of them ruining it. FF7 was always begging for more; look at the Turks, Shin-ra, Vincent - there's much in the game that's left unresolved... Have a little faith.

It's the same gameplay as Devil May Cry, the last thing square did like that was .. oh .. hmm... the Bouncer .. that turned out to be excellent didn't it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

*shrug* It might through in some RPG elements - I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least a storyline. Im more excited about advent children than this, but as I said, it's square's game, presumably they know what they're doing.

Squaresoft have surprised me with games from different genres in the past. Einhander was one of the best scrolling shooters ever made and Tobal No. 1 is brilliant.

Still I think that FFVII doesn't need a sequel.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

i wouldn't misd a ffvii sequel, since the vii was the best rpg ever. but they'll definatly **** it up. especially if it's like devil may cry. just make a rpg, for ****'s sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

its not like its gonna ruin the first game ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Devil May Cry gameplay? That sounds dodge alright. Does that mean you won't have time to explore properly instead just be battling random monsters? Hope not :mad:

• Advertisement

ye this was bad enough to be true... this is gonna be ****e. im just gonna wall myself away from it like i will from the AVP film.

Advertisement