Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quake 4 screens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

It's the D3 engine with new content :)

Shouldn't be a long wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Hopefully ill have my new pc built by the time its released :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

bah, they seem to have been forced to take down the screen shots. know any working links?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

There's a thread on Penny Arcade's forum with magazine scans. (On Topic forums, games section).

They're pretty "meh" to me. I didn't like the look of the models in Doom 3, and it's far too dark. I'll still get it obviously, but I'm not overly impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,943 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Not quite photorealism yet, but dan those soldiers look a hell of a lot better than they did :)

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Looks more like a doom game than a quake game to me. Marines vs aliens yet again.

If they bring in vehicles, i for one will be very disappointed. Quake is supposed to be about speed, close combat, and unrealistic weapons, people, enviroment, phyisics (strafe jumping, bunny hopping, rocket jumps etc). Looks like they ruined the formula.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I think we need to start a Quake II/I is better than Quake IV thread and make it a sticky. Perhaps the fact that Quake IV players will be lame noobs etc can be satisfactorily established from the outset. For my part , as an old school Q2 player, can I just say that Q4 will be rubbish. Q4 will be pure eye-candy and won't have the gameplay of etc. etc.

In any case, lets hope for all our sakes, that they ruin the Rocket Launcher again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Personally, I prefer bitching about games after I've played them.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

You have no vision Amp! (or is it Frank, I can't remember..) By the way, I may not have been clear on this: Q2 was better than Q1.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭the_obsolete

I concurr. Q2 kicked Q1's ass!
    Ooh that double barrelled shotgun...loved when ya reloaded it...*froathing at the mouth*

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Quake 2 was crap.
    Quake 4 is a continuation of it.
    Lets hope it's not crap.

Fine but we're agreeed the Atari ST was better than the Amiga, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

The ST PWNED teh amiga!!! I spit on your amiga!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

personally i prefer the C64 but thats another thread.

The screen shots look real sweet. Can't wait. The next generation of games are shaping up well, Quake , UT etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

looks crap :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Nah C64 was better than the spectrum.

Q4 looks a bit pants to be honest.

I heard it comes on 3,068 floppies. Takes 3 weeks to install. Bit like Half Life 2 then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

I'm unimpressed. Looks like D3 which I'm not exactly over the moon about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

oooh it's the doom3 expansion pack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I wonder how pretty that Doom engine will look when all the lovely lighting and textures are torn out of it to improve the l33t d00d's framerate.

I think you're all crazy bastards if you don't think that looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Maximilian wrote:
    Fine but we're agreeed the Atari ST was better than the Amiga, right?

Heretic.

When I come to power, yours shall be among the first heads to adorn my trophy wall.
    I hope your jaws can accomodate a wax apple.

Oh come on!!! Amiga - it sounds like a brand of toddler's biscuits for heaven's sake!

Anyway, I hope I don't have to upgrade my display system for Q4. At the moment I'm gettting about 10 pages per minute on my OKI 4140 photcopier with Doom 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Maximilian wrote:
    Oh come on!!! Amiga - it sounds like a brand of toddler's biscuits for heaven's sake!
    Sounds like the spanish for a female friend to me...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

well i think that everyone is overlooking the fact that ID software have always made games with graphics which shock everyone. Q1 had 3D...Q2 was better than other 1997 crap...Q3 was changed into RTCW and MOH and Q4 will provide entertaining shooty stuff even if it is crap.

I always thought Q2 was just not real enough. I know that sounds stupid but it was the same for me as pointing the mouse and clicking regardless of the situation. I didnt get involved in it i guess.

QUESTION??? is ID software I and the a D like a photo id or ID like the id in hid...?...I think its the photo ID pronunciation...

(This last question is a reflection of my opinion of everyone else comparing Quakes)(CRAP)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

It's id as in the id and the ego.

"In Freudian theory, the division of the psyche that is totally unconscious and serves as the source of instinctual impulses and demands for immediate satisfaction of primitive needs."

ID as in hid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Yeah it's id as in skid.
    Although for years when I'd only see their name in print and never spoken I always called them I.D.

And yeah I also think Quake4 doesn't look that impressive, another bloody shadow-fest.
    Like if you want to impress me with your fancy lighting, then make it so that I can see where I'm going.

• Advertisement

Q4...BOLLOCKS...

Im sure the latest AI technology should make the game challenging to those who have never played a generic FPS before...Honestly show me a game which makes up for everything with graphics...

Does anyone remember a time when Q4 was supposed to be out before Doom3 using the Doom3 engine...I know I did...

Yes the AI in Quake4 is rubbish obviously, and of course Doom III was supposed to come out after it using its own engine.

:rolleyes:

Advertisement