Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mush\Mud Server needs Admins and Players :)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

Diku II Looks ok, but I would have to buy a copy which I would prefer not to have to do.. Any other Ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Lord Khan

I like Circle Mud
    it's based on Diku too :-)
    www.circlemud.org would give you more than everything you need :-)

[This message has been edited by Lord Khan (edited 16-01-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

rofl void, nice dil smile.gif
    When were you on valhalla?
    and gambler, cant you get a cutdown version of the VME for free if you dont make money from it? could be wrong.
    actually wait, think i am smile.gif

Hey void, upload it or mail it to me :-)

looks interesting wanna stick it in to my MUD ... kinda in place of the healing room for a while. :-)

run a MUD here in UL but can only be accessed from inside UL itself. was gonna see about opening it public

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lord Khan:
    Hey void, upload it or mail it to me :-)

looks interesting wanna stick it in to my MUD ... kinda in place of the healing room for a while. :-)

run a MUD here in UL but can only be accessed from inside UL itself. was gonna see about opening it public

</font>

If you have a MuD Ready would you be interested in using that??

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gambler:
    If you have a MuD Ready would you be interested in using that??</font>

sure but I'd probably just start a new one anyway ... balance out the playing field too. gotta had a worth with sysadm to ensure that it t'would be ok run to the world and all that :-).

thanks Void ... sure I can fix any minor bugs in it anyway.

well yes DIL is nice but CircleMUD is free and just as functional

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Void

Lord Khan....
    Surely you realise....

A: DIL let's you do manky complicated things, Circle MUDs scripting support doesn't let you code any "life" into your zone at all. Just rooms/items etc, nothing special. Look at the Battlewagon/Wyvern code in my zone and tell me how to do that in Circle Mud without modifying the underlying engine code. Hardcoding functionality into a mud engine would take you (or anyone for that matter) forever. DikuII let's you modify ANYTHING using DIL, which makes it the most powerful mud engine. I can't stress how limited Circle Mud is. I'm wondering if you've ever played any other muds Lord Khan...

B: The zone is for DikuII, not for Circle MUD. Which bit of that did you miss?

[This message has been edited by Void (edited 16-01-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Void:
    Lord Khan....
    Surely you realise....

A: DIL let's you do manky complicated things, Circle MUDs scripting support doesn't let you code any "life" into your zone at all. Just rooms/items etc, nothing special. Look at the Battlewagon/Wyvern code in my zone and tell me how to do that in Circle Mud without modifying the underlying engine code. Hardcoding functionality into a mud engine would take you (or anyone for that matter) forever. DikuII let's you modify ANYTHING using DIL, which makes it the most powerful mud engine. I can't stress how limited Circle Mud is. I'm wondering if you've ever played any other muds Lord Khan...

B: The zone is for DikuII, not for Circle MUD. Which bit of that did you miss?

</font>

I do relise that ...

1) CircleMUD building code does support life but I agree not to the extent of DIL allow.
    2) I had planned to port it across to circlemud with some work.
    3)CircleMUD has a completely diffrent style but you can do basically the same things once you master the bit vector bits.
    4)circleMUD is free.
    5)look at 4 again.

I like CircleMUD and have been using it since beta 2.X and it also has a very large community and I found it easier to get support and help when I needed it or even get zones and snippets to use.

If I can get a copy from *other* sources of DikuII I'd consider using that as either way I'd start a mud from scratch anyway.

hmmm amazing how many mudders come out of the closet when you meation in here in UL hehe.

Gambler one thing ... how do you mean use it? me host or just provide the code.

anyway I got the go ahead here to run one from skynet which is damn good. but under the conditions that if the load gets too heavy kill -9 with out even warning :-)
    but I found out there is a large MUDder base here than I thought. So if you want I can start one up here ( t'would be about 2-3 weeks before it would be publicly usable ) and but I'd probably end up wanting to move it to a dedicated host if it got busy enough.

hehe new page :-)

Heheh, thanks guys.
    Here's a link to the full zone:
    http://hosted.quake.ie/void/blackorc.zon
    It's 500k, pretty big for a zone. And I haven't tried compiling this in years. I dunno if that's the latest version I have.
    Just to clarify a few things:
    It's a Diku II zone (Valhalla, Valheru etc).
    Circle mud sucks monkeys. The reason Diku II is superior is because of DIL (Diku Interpreted Language). As you can see from the tiny bit of code I posted, you can code diseases among other things (like orc battlewagons that you can drive around running people over with). If you want to run a serious mud, I recommend Diku II, it's worth the money. You can get info at http://www.valhalla.com/vme/index.html. There's a test version available for free, with a 2 player limit or something.

Anyone who wants can download the zone and use it etc etc. If you decide to use it, then I'd like to be told. Also, since it's buggy as fúck, you'll probably have to give me an implementor account to fix the bleedin' thing. Download it and have a look, just open it with wordpad or whatever, it's funny as fúck smile.gif

Other stuff: Not just written by me, I did most of the DIL, a few of my mates coded most of the rooms/equip/mobs etc. http://hosted.quake.ie/void/necro.html

Highlights of zone:
    Orc equivalent of "Fibbers" (no joke)
    Gerbil Quest + others
    Chainsword
    Black Ork Kommandos
    Humour
    Battlewagon (buggy afair)

Oh, and I used to play Valhalla in '95/'96 as Ghash. Ghash - Agent of the Dark Syndicate I think it was, I got a god to rename my Deshpande sword to a "7.62mm Minigun" heheheh. Old-skool I tell ye.

• Advertisement

Fair enough LK, I accept your opinion.
    Here's the pricing information for VME:

Public Domain Free Package
    This package is free for the asking. It is limited to 3 players, 100 room, 100 objects, and 100 mobs.
    Enthusiast Package
    This package is for the mudding enthusiast, it allows 20 players, 1000 rooms, 1000 objects, and 1000 mobs. At a special price of only $49.95.
    Super Enthusiast Unlimited Package
    This package allows unlimited players, rooms, objects, and mobs. It is the must have elite package for the serious mudder, or business. All at a low price of $99.95.

The "super enthusiast" version costs $100. Gambler, I assume Nethouse would have no problem forking out 100 squid for a decent mud? If so, then I really think you should go with it over Circle Mud.

And LK, feel free to port my zone over to Circle MUD. I just think it will take ages and won't be worth it, since you'll lose all the good bits.

[This message has been edited by Void (edited 17-01-2001).]

My what a post this has become :-) Feels kinda like the quake board ;-P
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Void:

The "super enthusiast" version costs $100. Gambler, I assume Nethouse would have no problem forking out 100 squid for a decent mud? If so, then I really think you should go with it over Circle Mud.
    </font>

HeHe, First of it's Netshop not Nethouse ;-P and the thing is because we are a Cyber Cafe running a business and using the MUD to promote the Café (Kinda) they won't let us have that version (Yes, I checked) so it turns out you are talking about a figure over 1K to get the engine for a MUD which may not get used that much.. The owners don't want to fork out that much for a game that is (let's face it) very old text based gaming when compared to the HL servers which you can download a dedicated server version of the program for Free...
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lord Khan:

hmmm amazing how many mudders come out of the closet when you meation in here in UL hehe.
    Gambler one thing ... how do you mean use it? me host or just provide the code.

anyway I got the go ahead here to run one from skynet which is damn good. but under the conditions that if the load gets too heavy kill -9 with out even warning :-)
    but I found out there is a large MUDder base here than I thought. So if you want I can start one up here ( t'would be about 2-3 weeks before it would be publicly usable ) and but I'd probably end up wanting to move it to a dedicated host if it got busy enough.
    </font>
    I was thinking if you had the code I could host it.... Let me know what you think by mail :-)

Well I got the good ahead to host on skynet anyway thanks to the admins. very helpfully peeps :-)

also I've changed from using circleMUD to another DikuMUD variant ... although it's a variant on a variant.

smuag

it is a very nice mud clean code and also you can code in rooms,object and life Yes life while the server is running with out having to do alot of messy work.

Well I've gonna run a mud on skynet anyway to start it up I'll post the addy and port later hopefully. it will be WIP(work in progress) for at least 2 weeks before I have set up all the areas and config'd all the races and the clan settings.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gambler:

the thing is because we are a Cyber Cafe running a business and using the MUD to promote the Café (Kinda) they won't let us have that version (Yes, I checked) so it turns out you are talking about a figure over 1K to get the engine for a MUD which may not get used that much..
    </font>
    Youve got to be ****ting me? I knew ken was a fuppin gob****e, but thats ridiculous.

Void: Rofl, i laughed for an hour when i first heard yer name, couldnt believe they let it slide smile.gif btw Bipbip was askin for all you guys (yerself, isaac and hairs)

You people still play Valhalla? Mother of god.... I quit when it became a pay mud. And because my xp went down to -50k from being pk'd so much smile.gif I vaguely remember you Dustaz.......twas a long time ago. Sorry if I pk'd you or anything smile.gif

Nah , dont play there anymore. Whistler lost the plot a while back and screwed up the mud. I just drop in every now and then to catch up with old victims smile.gif
    Dont think ye ever pk'd me, but i did keep up the fine tradition of Paddy PKers there smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Dont mind Gambler he is just on undr cover work in netshop to see what they are like its a bout time this was found out. and gambler how do i get in to ur mud . smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ahearn

plug!!!

www.valheru.com -- come join a real MUD and tell them I sent you =)

Ahearn B'Ertie - An Taoi'Seach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

hmm why did up a old post like that, would it not be better to say just do a new post and give a few reasons why people should play that particular mud ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

possibly because he has maxed out his n00b skill and is now really good at it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ahearn

hmm no real reason - I guess in my mind it makes no difference if I reply to an old post or if I create a new one, a post is a post and who ever reads it will read what they want and not what they see. Perhaps it might've been better under a different heading though.

People can go to the web-site and decide themselves if they think they like it or not, my opinions are just that my opinions and I'll not share them in the likelyhood of persuading someone to join in as is the nature of MUD's there is a lot of roleplay which is a whole different and more personal world then hop, skip and fire.

and well I'm guessing now I progress to the 'boro' stage of replying to a post just to show that I know where the reply button is?

thought people had grown out of the word 'n00b' I guess it'll someday appear in the OED - definition - no definition just a collection of letters and numbers that when viewed together looks like how you would say new-b ....usually used by forum-huggers with an uncanny want to flame anyone they feel is their inferior (or increase their post count).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Maybe i like showing my inherent superiority and larger post count? :) However, my post count per day (0.19) doesnt really suggest that i am a rabid poster now does it?

Tbh, the amount of newbies turning up and posting really stupid things in capitals etc, is really starting to annoy me. Now, im not trying to say that your post annoyed me, but that the trend in general does. What you did (ie reply to a 3 year old post) is something typically done by people without much experience of forum posting (ie they are 'newbies' or 'n00bs'). Hence the comment.

The word n00b will go down in history :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I suggest you take it to the counterstrike forum, topic locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement