Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to bring down the CSC

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Chick

how big is the csc exactly....?

crash_000 wrote:
    I fully intend to throw myself into college politics at random, just for the sheer fucks of it :D

Crash for President? :p

You've got my vote! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭celingfan

I may go for ents see hoe the year pansout shke the place up a little next year,!!??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Yeah yez can all vote for me. though i will probably try, do something stupid controversial and...well stupid. and get told to **** off :p

• Advertisement

sounds good to me lol, a change!

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭sleepingbeauty

Yeah yez can all vote for me. though i will probably try, do something stupid controversial and...well stupid. and get told to **** off
    i think everything needs a bit of controversy once in a while...just to keep things interesting!
    I may go for ents see hoe the year pansout shke the place up a little next year,!!??
    deffo, shake it up as much as ya want imo :D

if nothing ever changed itd be a pretty mundane society

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Chick wrote:
    how big is the csc exactly....?

Not really a matter of size - it's all the societies manifested in a overall committee.

Oh - don't worry about the campus politics you've read about here. Truth is, most students pass through College oblivious to the machinations. You'll only come across them if you decide to get deeply involved in clubs, societies or the SU.

Ok thanks, I was just wondering how many ppl get this passionate about it. Whats the story with joining the SU? i had to pay an €8 levy for that while paying registration, but im thinking thats not just for trinity's one?

• Advertisement

i think thats for the students union of ireland chick

yeah thought so, sorry i get confused easy lol.... feeling quite stupid now...

oh dont feel stupid, i wouldnt have known if i hadnt read that letter the other day i got bout the fees (i doubt that many actually read the thing). anyway legit question :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭fiachs

When you register for your course during freshers week you automatically become a member of the TCD Students' Union. The 750 "registration fee" covers loads of things (exams, admin, government cutbacks) but it also covers 'capitation' which is money that's split up between 5 student bodies in college - The CSC, DUCAC, SU, GSU and Publications.

The 8 euro is a levy to pay for membership to the Union of Students Ireland and associated costs. 5 euro goes straight into USI's pocket, and the other 3 euro is used to cover costs associated with membership (including a college charge for collecting the 8 euro!) e.g. travel, accomodation etc.

USI there only function is a rent a crowd,useless bunch of people really

celingfan wrote:
    USI there only function is a rent a crowd,useless bunch of people really

Watch out or Fiachs will have to step in to defend them (again).

How can anyone defend them
    Prime example of corruption
    WILL PRIESTLY the former head of SU who called for the dissaffiliatin of tcd from the usi then guess what
    HE'S THE PRESIDENT the traitor
    the USI are jokes.Noone can argue with that surely

Hey I agree - and I've been fairly active in the campaign to stay out from before our return under Rory. Unfortunately, the students are either to apathetic to vote them out or misguided in their belief that there really is something to be gained from our continued participation - a myth perpetuated by some SU types.

Thanks fiachs :D so IF i was to become involved in the SU should i expect this kinda animosity from everyone?? :eek:

Not animosity i want to jont the su just for plain oul disruption purposes, ents officer maybe ,

• Advertisement

why the anger then ceiling?

Unless you act like some self-important loon you're unlikely to find animosity towards you if you get involved in the SU. It's a really great experience and if you approach it in the right way you get a lot done for our class. Plus you can choose how involved you want to become - be a class rep and concentrate on course & local issues, be an exec officer and help with broader issues in the faculties or College in general, or become a sabbatical officer and toil away for long hours in the cauldron of College politics and student issues. Or alternatively write for the Record - College's premier publication!

the anger is beacuse of the blatent corruption and lackadazical attitude towards tcd,no affirmative action has been taken.we had a "protest" where we had a march organised by rent a crowd USI.We had a cofin with a few books and keyboards t show the government how bad the college is.WOW where is the anarchy we can bring the city to a halt to show we mean buisness.Do something that will at least get us heard at least>amongst other things.

lackadazical attitude ? what?!

and using a coffin is pretty sick BTW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭fiachs

I don't remember jumping in to defend anyone - someone asked where the money went and I told them :)

But... the protest that you're talking about ceilingfan was a bit more then 'rentacrowd'! I'll agree that there are some USI protests which just have the old faithfuls at them, but the coffin (budget day) protest was really big and DID cause a fair bit of disruption.

- It wasn't a REAL coffin ;) and it was symbolic!

not a real coffin? alright...

Advertisement