Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to bring down the CSC

Options
  • 09-09-2004 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭

I come to asking for a brain storming session on how we could get those corrupt toffs out of their complacent holes.i may try and infultrate their ranks and slowly kill it off or i could get a place on the SU and try to disband them i think the el presidente position may do the trick that could be one of my things to do in office

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I think they're doing a good job, very helpful. And I'm not part of the whole Phil/Hist type thing before you say anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭celingfan

I dont think so they are a bunch of toffs COC SOC is approved why if they don't aprove our Brewing society for the ,love of home brewing there will be hell to pay seriously they are corrupt though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Very much.. I agree entirely.
    Nepotic old-boys I believe I called them in another thread...

Anyone any suggestions of how to rid us of this unprincipaled administration?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

Having been on CSC last year, I can say only one thing.

CSC = Joe O'Gorman
    Joe O'Gorman = CSC

Believe me exec meetings often involve just rubber stamping the hon. treasurers view on the world.

gabhain7 wrote:
    CSC = Joe O'Gorman
    Joe O'Gorman = CSC

There's our target ceiling..

I'm thinking blackmail, though we need leverage. Any ideas? Has he got a mistress? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 joemomma

celingfan wrote:
    i may try and infultrate their ranks and slowly kill it off or i could get a place on the SU and try to disband them
    I think you'd have to reach a little higher before you'd have the power to disband the CSC. Try getting yourself elected Provost, or at least onto the College Board. The SU can't disband the CSC any more than the CSC can disband the SU.
    celingfan wrote:
    I dont think so they are a bunch of toffs COC SOC is approved why if they don't aprove our Brewing society for the ,love of home brewing there will be hell to pay seriously they are corrupt though
    I would suggest you lay off the home brew before making your pitch to the CSC ;)
    apexaviour wrote:
    I'm thinking blackmail, though we need leverage. Any ideas? Has he got a mistress?
    It looks like you need to get to know your target a bit better...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

joemomma wrote:
    ROFL

Did I hear somewhere that he is actually from Clondalkin?

joemomma wrote:

Obviously an inside joke I'm missin here.. One of them homo-sapiens is he?

If blackmail doesn't work, guerrilla style attacks might, I mean if it worked against the british empire....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Apexaviour now i have a mental image of you (with the ginger beard seeing as that pic is all i have to go by) standing around in the bushes waiting for yer man.

...good work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

You might be in luck if you brew non-alcoholic beer. The CockSoc probably emphasise non-alcoholic cocktails as part of their brief so that they don't violate the part of the college alcohol policy which says that "alcohol consumption may not be cited as a reason for joining a society or attending a society event".

But seriously, why so much hate for the CSC?

• Advertisement

You might be in luck if you brew non-alcoholic beer. The CockSoc probably emphasise non-alcoholic cocktails as part of their brief so that they don't violate the part of the college alcohol policy which says that "alcohol consumption may not be cited as a reason for joining a society or attending a society event".
    I'm pretty sure he was joking about the brewing soc. :)
    But seriously, why so much hate for the CSC?
    The reasons can be found in a post I made in another thread. Actually that post should be here! :confused:

Here's our story..
    Old-boys and the CSC
    I have more pent up bile to rant out. Though don't worry, I doubt this will turn into any type of flame because it's more rational (and serious).

The college posse got together one day and we became decidedly dissappointed about the lack of humour the Trinity atmosphere possesed. Instead of merely complaining about it (as that wouldn't be funny) we decided to get organised and found a new society (which would be hilarious!).
    We had a leader in our quest. He spear-headed the organisation of what was to be the greatest society since that bearded guy started telling people to love eachother: The Comedy Society!

Everything was researched, surveys were conducted, prelimary officers were appointed. What would we do?
    We'd hold open mike nights, bring in comedians, show new and classic comedy movies. These would only be the regularish events.. One of our main statements was to plan original and humourous events and basically assist in anyway we could to bring a touch of humour to the "trinity experience"..

This was no sham-bam it'll never work incling we had. We were committed. An entire portfolio presentation describing us and our goals was submitted as well as cross-department, cross-year support from under-grads, post-grads and staff alike..

We were turned down by the CSC, why? Becuase what we proposed was "already catered for by ents". HOOP!!!
    It's no more catered for by ents than that of the gamers or sci-fi. Comedy is a unique entity and yes it is entertaining, does that mean that any society that is entertaining shouldn't be allowed set up?

What's worse is that the year in which the Comedy Society would have been started, a new society called the Cocksoc was founded.. I mean what the hell are they?????!!! Cocktails you say? But there is already a food and drink society.. Oh but they set up nights out you say? Yeah in bloody nightclubs which is ENTS MAIN JOB!!!! Then the real kick in the teeth came.. The cocksocs poster boasted a quippy phrase (quite funny I might add) that was stolen word for word from the portion of our portfolio designating our posters.

There is only one reason this happened: Favouritism! Those nepotic old-boys in the CSC are only likely to let some chap who holds soireés with his fellow Hist&Philies fartys set up a society. Nay for the everyday "common" student.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Welcome to College politics.

Bear in mind College politics has been evolving for 400 years and is played by professors. Good luck ****ing things up, you'll need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Imposter wrote:
    ROFL

Did I hear somewhere that he is actually from Clondalkin?

He's originally from Mayo (isn't the accent a giveaway). He's been around for years (degree in Physics, degree in Philosophy, couple of Masters, failed SU president bid about 12 years ago). The CSC has been run by Joe for years, along with his partner in crime Tony the former Hon. Treasurer. His lucrative Trinity Tours even use CSC facilities during the summer, allegedly. It would be very hard to remove him as so much of the CSC's finances, not to mention the Trinity Ball, depends on him.

We need not remove him, merely bend him to our needs... Mwuahawhawhaw

apexaviour wrote:
    We need not remove him, merely bend him to our needs... Mwuahawhawhaw

If you want to be that bender - be my guest!

As i said earlier it is about the atr of brewing not getting drunk,the COCK soc are about cocktails now we are student so alcohol is implied and the food and "DRINK" society !!!!!!!!!!.Now i like the idea of secretly pretending to be one of them and opposing whay ever they say, we need to leave a mark and iorn stomach is not big enough a soiety is nearly there but to ruin the csc is a thin g of beauty

For anyone genuinely interested in stirring up the CSC, the way to do it is via the term general meetings. These elect the members of the committee and approve new societies. Voting at the TGM's is restricted to society treasurer's so get yourselves elected to as many society treasurer positions as possible and launch your coup that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Chick

wow... lot of animosity here you guys...

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭gom

Kidnap Patrick Cosgrove and see if anyone cares ;)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i doubt it tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

celingfan wrote:

mmm... the cocksoc is an unofficial society created by Kev Cahill a few years ago, they never got approved by CSC as it promotes alcohol, and partially is covered under the Food and Drink Society.

also the csc wouldnt approve my friends Welly Throwing Society, citing that it should be under DUCAC good luck even getting a meeting with that crowd as i tried last year.

also rumour has it paddy cosgrove and the committee dont see eye to eye on most things so they would probably like it if u got him.

i never realised there was so much politics in college!

Well think, there's over 400 years of internal red tape? It's just been building and building...

yeah youre right i suppose, i just assumed everyone got along

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Haaaaaaaa haaaaaa haaaa haaaaaaaaaah.
    Oh dear.
    :confused:

You're a lovely girl, but you're in for a terrible shock when you get to college. It's bigger, lovelier, faster, nastier, smaller, slower and more fascinating than anywhere else in the city. If you get involved that is. You can just go to lectures and have a life if you like but then you won't end up famous like Dev.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 atlas

Chick wrote:
    nah loads and loads of rivalries, exploits, etc! Pain in the behind to get anything done though. Have to know the right people. Weird until you get the hang of it. then the world's your oyster - wah haa haa (poor attempt at evil laugh)

Haaaaaaaa haaaaaa haaaa haaaaaaaaaah.
    Oh dear:confused:You're a lovely girl, but you're in for a terrible shock when you get to college. It's bigger, lovelier, faster, nastier, smaller, slower and more fascinating than anywhere else in the city. If you get involved that is. You can just go to lectures and have a life if you like but then you won't end up famous like Dev.

Ok, thanks i guess :confused: . I know im in for a shock lol, but how can i know what to expect if ive never been there. i suppose ill just have to see it for myself in a while so. whats all this talk i hear about Dev being famous, whats the deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I fully intend to throw myself into college politics at random, just for the sheer fucks of it :D

Call_me_al wrote:
    mmm... the cocksoc is an unofficial society created by Kev Cahill a few years ago, they never got approved by CSC as it promotes alcohol, and partially is covered under the Food and Drink Society.

also the csc wouldnt approve my friends Welly Throwing Society, citing that it should be under DUCAC good luck even getting a meeting with that crowd as i tried last year.

also rumour has it paddy cosgrove and the committee dont see eye to eye on most things so they would probably like it if u got him.

Point taken,good work Kev Cahill where do i know that name?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

last year's Ents Officer

Advertisement