Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom 3 - the positives

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

koneko wrote:
    The Suffering was pretty bad to be honest, gameplay wasn't good at all.

Doom 3 has it's problems and I definitely think it's overrated, but compared to The Suffering it's BEST GAME EVAR

LOL....never heard of it. is it out on PC or GC....that's all i have.

EDIT: I have all the recent PcZones....must try harder to remember the bloody reviews now and again... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

Ardent wrote:
    What gets me is the incessant moaning about games because it doesn't do x, y and z. No mention at all about the good stuff, always the negative, then nit-picking if all else fails. Maybe you should ask the above question of some of the other guys on here, those who seem to expect games to give them a blowjob or something. FFS.

Doom 3 - I bought it, I played it, I marvelled at it, I finished it. I enjoyed it. Sorry.
    When games cost €50 a go, and receive ridiculous amounts of praise and hype from everywhere, what do you expect? So by your logic, fawning and drooling over a game is allowed, but turning around and going "well actually, it's ok ... BUT!... here's some reasonable reasons why I may not be replaying it anytime soon" gets the third degree from people who sometimes you'd almost think their idea of the best game ever is the next one they play.
    Adult and logical criticism of games is as viable and reasonable as any book or movie review.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Wolfy wrote:
    errr... really??? that was possibly the worst attempt at sarcasm i have yet to experience..... why don't u try name calling it might be more effective?

It was the worst and yet you completely missed it. Now stop annoying me before I abuse my moderator powers and ban you from this board.

Back on topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

The positives? i just spent the last 2 hours playing it again, and after 5 minuts, was completely engrossed all over again. Beat. Game. EVAR!.
    The only thing i didnt like was the manual. Doom 1 had a cool manual with pictures of the bad guys and descriptions and all...it was funky :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Wolfy

amp wrote:
    It was the worst and yet you completely missed it. Now stop annoying me before I abuse my moderator powers and ban you from this board.

Back on topic.

Fair enuf even if i did have one more retort.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

The one single best thing about Doom 3 is the clever marketing. It actually made people who don't like the Doom style of game go out and buy it. Very clever on Carmack's part.
    Lets repeat the name of the game just once more and maybe we can save non-doom-style game fans from wasting their money:-

D-O-O-M with a 3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Avoiding repeating it all ad nauseum I'll just say it was average, technically superb, built for the engine rights, but boring in itself To Me.
    BUT, I still find it strange that a lot of people defend it based on the it being a throwback to the original games. Doom3 does not play like 1 or 2, it's much more detailed but 'smaller' and less frenetic. I'm not going to argue the merits of one approach over the other just saying this angle is confusing....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Wolfy wrote:
    Fair enuf even if i did have one more retort.....

And you're banned. Read the charter next time moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

do you know what I find sooooo funny about Quake threads.... and now I'll add DOOM to it...

there is a game, which isn't that great... ok, we've seen the graphics and wow yes their are really cool... no doubt there...

but people are getting all worked up at how great/bad it is and ending up banned...

btw, FREEDOM FOR WOLFY .... a bit of political activism there ... ;)

jeeeesssusss.... get over it... go have a round of HL, DoD or CS... and then come back and tell me it' a good game... :confused:

The Duke : ))

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

TheDuke wrote:
    do you know what I find sooooo funny about Quake threads.... and now I'll add DOOM to it...

there is a game, which isn't that great... ok, we've seen the graphics and wow yes their are really cool... no doubt there...

but people are getting all worked up at how great/bad it is and ending up banned...

btw, FREEDOM FOR WOLFY .... a bit of political activism there ... ;)

jeeeesssusss.... get over it... go have a round of HL, DoD or CS... and then come back and tell me it' a good game... :confused:

The Duke : ))

And you know what is "funnier", is that he gets banned for being off topic while there's another thread in Games about **** and stuff that hasn't been removed despite the mods being asked to (politely) and instead is turned into a pureile off topic love-in.

Freedom for Wolfy!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

Well Hl2 seemed to hav ebeen built specifically with mods in mind, and why not; it's what earned Valve their money.
    Does anyone have any actual details on the doom3 modabiity?

I expect the source to be opened at some stage, so It should be fully modable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

aren't they releasing the sdk for it at more or less the same time as the linux dedicated server?

Advertisement