Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom 3 - the positives

Options
  • 08-09-2004 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

OK, we've had a few threads about how crap (lol) Doom 3 is so how about one where we list the things that it does well?

I'll start:

*sound effects
    *lighting and shadowing
    *level designs
    *bump-mapping and character's faces
    *the way you can use computer screens seamlessly within the game
    *the impulse from large explosions
    *distorted image when you look through a window
    *the level of detail of the creatures
    *videos playing on tvs as you walk through the UAC
    *the way the gun sways when you move around
    *the way creatures bounce off walls when you hit them with a rocket
    *cardboard boxes shake when you're firing the chaingun
    *movable objects within the game

Any more?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

*great in small doses
    *once the modders get at it, there is the potential for some excellent gameplay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

The is great but a small thing a, When you shin a light into the mirror there is no reflection...... Im sure this could of been added.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

joePC wrote:
    The is great but a small thing a, When you shin a light into the mirror there is no reflection...... Im sure this could of been added.......

No reflection in the mirror ? Well sod that, I'm not going to buy this game if they can't get a reflection working, sounds crap. Roll on Wolfenstein 3D.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

ehh... I see a reflection in the mirror when i have the flashlight equipped?

how low have you got the graphics detail set?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Wolfy

Ardent wrote:
    OK, we've had a few threads about how crap (lol) Doom 3 is so how about one where we list the things that it does well?

I'll start:

*sound effects
    *lighting and shadowing
    *level designs

Any more?

*sound effects: good
    *lighting and shadowing: good but alreay seen in farcry id also consider it a graphical element

*level designs: rubbish unless you have a fetish for futureistic space stations. couple that with linearity, basic get code open door game so dark forget where door is moments

*bump-mapping and character's faces: again graphics and everyone in the game looks aneamic they are so pasty

*the way you can use computer screens seamlessly within the game: nice touch

*the impulse from large explosions: impulse? in what way? the nice graphical blur u get?

*distorted image when you look through a window: dx9 effect graphics, seen it before

*the level of detail of the creatures: again graphics..

*videos playing on tvs as you walk through the UAC: done before max payne and they were much cooler.

*the way the gun sways when you move around: nice but hardly ground breaking

lumping all of the above into physics which is already common. and will point out that doom3 has a remarkable lack of movable objects. play farcry for physics fun with moveable stuff.

So combining the above we have:
    Nice graphics
    nice sound effects
    Cool gun swaying thingy
    Interface with computers via yur cursor

Next we take nice graphics and remove cos other games out there have great graphics, i beleive in its own way farcry for example has better graphics.

I also wanna remove sound effects cos I think CoD is right up there with it and so are many other games

So Doom3 is cool because your gun has a slight lag effect when u turn and cos you can interface with a monitor using yur mouse cursor and by interface i mean point and click at the monitor to usually open some obscure door.

People its fairly obvious to me you should all rush out and buy this game with yur hard earned money.

PS im tired of slating doom so briefly we should mention:
    poor AI
    poor gameplay
    poor level design and architecture
    inclusion of enemies in places u know they will be or having them spawn out of nowhere constantly cos that must be fun....
    Lack of innovation
    Enemies are increasingly more annoying than difficult which also makes the
    game is too easy

i wont go on....

• Advertisement

joePC wrote:

depends on yur graphics card or detail setting... usually mirror reflections are a dx8.1 or dx9 feature (i suppose) so certain cards wont show reflections

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Ardent wrote:

I'll start:

*sound effects
    *lighting and shadowing
    *level designs

Any more?

great level design ? you gotta be joking!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭Ardent

Wolfy wrote:
    *sound effects: good
    *lighting and shadowing: good but alreay seen in farcry id also consider it a graphical element

*level designs: rubbish unless you have a fetish for futureistic space stations. couple that with linearity, basic get code open door game so dark forget where door is moments

*bump-mapping and character's faces: again graphics and everyone in the game looks aneamic they are so pasty

*the way you can use computer screens seamlessly within the game: nice touch

*the impulse from large explosions: impulse? in what way? the nice graphical blur u get?

*distorted image when you look through a window: dx9 effect graphics, seen it before

*the level of detail of the creatures: again graphics..

*videos playing on tvs as you walk through the UAC: done before max payne and they were much cooler.

*the way the gun sways when you move around: nice but hardly ground breaking

lumping all of the above into physics which is already common. and will point out that doom3 has a remarkable lack of movable objects. play farcry for physics fun with moveable stuff.

So combining the above we have:
    Nice graphics
    nice sound effects
    Cool gun swaying thingy
    Interface with computers via yur cursor

Next we take nice graphics and remove cos other games out there have great graphics, i beleive in its own way farcry for example has better graphics.

I also wanna remove sound effects cos I think CoD is right up there with it and so are many other games

So Doom3 is cool because your gun has a slight lag effect when u turn and cos you can interface with a monitor using yur mouse cursor and by interface i mean point and click at the monitor to usually open some obscure door.

People its fairly obvious to me you should all rush out and buy this game with yur hard earned money.

PS im tired of slating doom so briefly we should mention:
    poor AI
    poor gameplay
    poor level design and architecture
    inclusion of enemies in places u know they will be or having them spawn out of nowhere constantly cos that must be fun....
    Lack of innovation
    Enemies are increasingly more annoying than difficult which also makes the
    game is too easy

i wont go on....

Jesus Christ dude, you need to get out and find more important things in your life than a computer game.

Ardent wrote:
    Jesus Christ dude, you need to get out and find more important things in your life than a computer game.

You brought up the game in the first place (What were you expecting!??).

You made some valid points (and altho Wolfy goes into a lot of detail)....you cant just slate someone when they make a number of detailed criticisms of your views.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Wolfy wrote:

No way! The undead looking aneamic and pasty? Oh you meant the living who've been living inside a pressurised base on a planet further away from the sun?

Christ, if Carmack had put freckles on their faces you'd be "wah wah, how could they tanned skin when they live inside!!"

You don't really know what the word "gameplay" means, do you?
    Go back to masterbating over the Farcry manual.

Things I like:
    Shooting zombies with the pistol as they walk towards you. I shoot left shoulder, zombies left shoulder gets thrown back. Hit the knee, he stumbles. It's cool.

The shotgun close up and it's shredding effect tearing the flesh off baddies.

I don't know why people are bitching about the darkness. It's never fully dark and you usually have a rough idea of where the baddies are. Plus it's scary and adds to the drama.

Sure it doesn't add anything new. You still have to get keycard A to open door B and events are triggered but it does it so well and reminds me more of half life than anything else. There are parts where it's not quite that simple eg:
    when you use the crane to clear the room of toxic barrels

Doom isn't susposed to be Deus Ex, it's the art of killing baddies. It's about them sending in a mix of baddies into a room and you trying to kill them as efficiently as possible using cover, or blowing barrels or simply switching weapons better.

Lastly for those that continue to whinge about Doom3. All those FPS's you love so dear use stuff that the original Doom brought to the table in the first place.

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

amp wrote:
    No way! The undead looking aneamic and pasty? Oh you meant the living who've been living inside a pressurised base on a planet further away from the sun?

Christ, if Carmack had put freckles on their faces you'd be "wah wah, how could they tanned skin when they live inside!!"

Things I like:
    Shooting zombies with the pistol as they walk towards you. I shoot left shoulder, zombies left shoulder gets thrown back. Hit the knee, he stumbles. It's cool.

I don't know why people are bitching about the darkness. It's never fully dark and you usually have a rough idea of where the baddies are. Plus it's scary and adds to the drama.

Sure it doesn't add anything new. You still have to get keycard A to open door B and events are triggered but it does it so well and reminds me more of half life than anything else. There are parts where it's not quite that simple eg:

Doom isn't susposed to be Deus Ex, it's the art of killing baddies. It's about them sending in a mix of baddies into a room and you trying to kill them as efficiently as possible using cover, or blowing barrels or simply switching weapons better.

Lastly for those that continue to whinge about Doom3. All those FPS's you love so dear use stuff that the original Doom brought to the table in the first place.

:eek:

Hear mother fu*king hear.
    Its exactly what ive been saying all along. I salute you good sir.

amp wrote:

Things I like:

This game seems to have totally polarised people. Personally i don't think it's very good game. I do think farcry is a better game (tbh, masterbating over the Farcry manual didn't really do much for me...was the DOOM3 one better for you? ;))

Anyway, these arguments have been batted back and forth non stop. all i'd ask is that if you take away the good graphics and decent sound (especially with the trent soundpak) do you truly think it has good gameplay? I don't. that's my opinion. i'm sorry. as for the bit you have spoilered...i thought that was lame. perhaps it was just demonstrating the power of the engine or something...
    amp wrote:

Don't really see the point of this argument. The orginal game was hugely innovative, Doom3 is not as much so.....Different games. I played the original. loved it. I think doom3 is not as much fun as the original. for example, doom3 would be amazing if it could recreate the massive firefights from the originals, like the end of Doom2.... (but i suppose the computers capable of handling something like that aren't made yet....anyway i'm rambling now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I dont agree at all with Wolfy point of sound is on par with CoD. This game is by far in my opion the best sounds by miles then anything i have played " I also play alot of Cod" and the way they use the sound in the game to is so much better then anything out there.

CoD might have guys saying "over here", or you all gather around and one guy tells everone what we are going to be doing next. It does have nice sounds with gun fire and bombs in the back round. But not half as good with doom3. Played 1000's of games in my time and i just stood up and took note when i heard the sounds in doom.

Im sure now other people will give names of other games they think have the best sound. But the over all package of sounds and how they use them in doom is the best i have witnessed.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Ardent wrote:

Right... you do know this is the games board? Right?

monument wrote:
    that made me smile...

onto the criticisms... jaysus this would be easier had i access to boards during the day but my company has websense filtering it out so i have to reread the lot :(

right im gonna start bottom up as i re read stuff.
    badcharlie wrote:
    I dont agree at all with Wolfy point of sound is on par with CoD. This game is by far in my opion the best sounds by miles then anything i have played " I also play alot of Cod" and the way they use the sound in the game to is so much better then anything out there.
    Thats your opinion but i didnt say doom3 has bad sound just I feel there are other games on par with it and CoD I beleive has the edge as the sound totally imerses u and sucks you in.

and rereading what pekelly has said basically completes the rest of my argument and prolly says it alot better than i could have
    cept:
    amp wrote:

Now yur just being childish

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

Guys..... isn't it just gut splitting hillarious that a thread meant to eliviate the bashings of Doom3 should demise to a tool of redicule itself.... :D

I loved it cause DOOM I & II change my world.... as for 2004 it's fkn booring... just after finishing it...
    once the modders get at it, there is the potential for some excellent gameplay

This is the one I am waiting for.... a nice WWII mod it just what this engine need!!! :cool:

TheDuke wrote:
    Guys..... isn't it just gut splitting hillarious that a thread meant to eliviate the bashings of Doom3 should demise to a tool of redicule itself.... :D

I loved it cause DOOM I & II change my world.... as for 2004 it's fkn booring... just after finishing it...

This is the one I am waiting for.... a nice WWII mod it just what this engine need!!! :cool:

do ya think??? doom is quite a demanding game to run as it is with enclosed spaces... WWII= open areas and so forth??? will modders be able to make a mod that will be playable by the average pc owner??? and not a bash at the doom 3 just for the sake of it but i reckon HL2 will stand to be the better engine for mods like HL was before it but i know sod all about modding so knowing my luck ill be disproved

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

I liked doom3 it has no replay value tho.....Quake 4 tbh...http://www.bluesnews.com/screenshots/games/quake4/20040909/pcgamer_nov04cover.jpg

;)
    CC

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

HL2 will stand to be the better engine for mods

you are most probably right... this is where all the modders will mingle...

HL2 will probably have allot more 'out of the box' envrinoment interaction stuff, etc... I'd say that would be difficult to mod in D3.

make sense considering that my favourite mod is DoD which is a HL mod....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

Well Hl2 seemed to hav ebeen built specifically with mods in mind, and why not; it's what earned Valve their money.
    Does anyone have any actual details on the doom3 modabiity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭Ardent

monument wrote:

What gets me is the incessant moaning about games because it doesn't do x, y and z. No mention at all about the good stuff, always the negative, then nit-picking if all else fails. Maybe you should ask the above question of some of the other guys on here, those who seem to expect games to give them a blowjob or something. FFS.

Doom 3 - I bought it, I played it, I marvelled at it, I finished it. I enjoyed it. Sorry.

thats fair enuf.... but nit picking passes the day away when yur stuck in a ****ty job with nothing better to do so i apologise if all i ever seem to do is whine... its my work environment that causes it :).... altho i still want more from my games.... if u start settling for substandard stuff then games will go nowhere fast.... as it is i feel games are starting to slip... there are some good ones on the horizon but in general its been very quiet on the gaming front lately... the last games i can think of that really stood out are CoD and farcry.... i cant really think of anything else out there at the moment that gripped me... in fact the last game before those two that really really sucked me in was operation flashpoint which was aaaages ago..... personally im really really interested in the new vampires game being made using the HL2 engine... i reckon that has sooo much potential and that games set in russia.... stalker is it??? looks a little rough from all the videos ive seen of it but heres hoping for something good.

Ardent wrote:
    What gets me is the incessant moaning about games because it doesn't do x, y and z. No mention at all about the good stuff, always the negative, then nit-picking if all else fails. Maybe you should ask the above question of some of the other guys on here, those who seem to expect games to give them a blowjob or something. FFS.

Doom 3 - I bought it, I played it, I marvelled at it, I finished it. I enjoyed it. Sorry.

I agree. But it's human nature to criticise (negatively) rather than praise. :rolleyes:

I think Doom3 suffers because there were huge expectations for it. It never had a chance! (I still don't rate the game highly but i think alot of the criticism is as unwarranted as is much of its praise).

Maybe we can start again we more good points:

*BFG is still a brilliant weapon...nothing original but great fun
    *Like the padding of the background story thru the PDA/email...System shock 2-like but done very well.
    ending hints at a sequel.....

sigh....

okay ill help as well...

the game was initially very very scarey... ive never before come accross a game that scared me so badly.... once when an imp appeared i actually physically yelped and jumped while trying to move the character back and shoot at the same time.... while u do become accustomed to the horror it still never wears off....

there... i said something nice about the game.... now i feel all dirty...

Wolfy wrote:
    sigh....

okay ill help as well...

the game was initially very very scarey... ive never before come accross a game that scared me so badly.... once when an imp appeared i actually physically yelped and jumped while trying to move the character back and shoot at the same time.... while u do become accustomed to the horror it still never wears off....

there... i said something nice about the game.... now i feel all dirty...

LOL...i liked the way the feeling of dread is built up from the start till you meet the first imp...

I also liked the scene in the bathroom.....very eternal darkness (GC), which i reckon is by far the scariest game i've ever played!

have u played the suffering yet??? i played that very very very briefly before installing other games... its graphically old looking but servicable but the game is scary and violent... i have to get around to playing it in earnest but theres another scary game for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

wolfy wrote:
    Now yur just being childish

Actually I describing you as being childish in a sarcastic fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

The Suffering was pretty bad to be honest, gameplay wasn't good at all.

Doom 3 has it's problems and I definitely think it's overrated, but compared to The Suffering it's BEST GAME EVAR

errr... really??? that was possibly the worst attempt at sarcasm i have yet to experience..... why don't u try name calling it might be more effective?

• Advertisement

koneko wrote:
    The Suffering was pretty bad to be honest, gameplay wasn't good at all.

Doom 3 has it's problems and I definitely think it's overrated, but compared to The Suffering it's BEST GAME EVAR

is it??? like i said ive played maybe 5 minutes into the game.... felt like it would be alrigh to be honest... and it got a good review in pczone who in general tend to get it right.... but ive been playing other games.... will start it up tonight so and see.

Advertisement