Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS2 OR XBOX? which would you suggest I buy?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Why yes. Yes I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

evad_lhorg wrote:
    Ok here's the deal. I dont play on my pc.

Doesn;t matter mate, it's about which console has a bigger schlong.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

I know! I just havnt been able to get a look at either's. I know the xbox looks better built and bulky but that means nothin when it comes to that. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

evad_lhorg wrote:
    I know! I just havnt been able to get a look at either's. I know the xbox looks better built and bulky but that means nothin when it comes to that. :D
    that might have something to do with the fact that the xbox is a pc in a black box with a green logo in the middle.

ps2 pwns it, in the titles stakes. i'm sorry but halo2 can lick my killzone, gta:sa, mgs3 & gt4 pre-orders.

wtf is "pwns it"? screw metal gear solid. it will be on xbox as will gta and splinter cell 3 looks miles better than mgs3. Ill give you gran turismo though. next friday should be my day for my new console whatever it may be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,162 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

evad_lhorg wrote:
    wtf is "pwns it"
    pwn

feckin geeks! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

There are some incedible PS2 only games like the RPGs, and so on which are excellent and you can pick up a hell of a lot of PS2 games for next to nothing these days in bargain bins.
    I can't think of any good rpg games other than the final fantasy ones (I presume they're good, havn't played them yet). There are plenty of cheap games for the xbox and gamecube. Maybe not as cheap as the first generation ps2 titles, but cheap enough. You can get plenty of classic gamecube and xbox titles for 15/20 euros.
    that might have something to do with the fact that the xbox is a pc in a black box with a green logo in the middle.
    Although the main structure is that of a PC's, there are some changes and the main CPU is customised by nvidia (it's basically a hybrid of a pc and a console).

99% of the ps2 games are pretty bad (compare the good games to the ones that have come out since the launch). There's hardly any truly good exclusive games for the ps2. Same for the xbox (although it has ninja gaiden, and the chronicles of riddick) but at least you can use it as an entertainment system.

The only few games that ps2 has for them are: some games for the final fantasy series and the Gran Turismo series (Although I prefer project gotham 1 and 2, more fun).

Get a gamecube anyway. They have a good few games and the console itself is pretty cheap. Got mine second hand in game. You can get them cheaper second hand in gamestop (Would of got it in gamestop but they didn't have any. It's a pity both shops only get them in rarely).

EDIT: Just read that you have a gamecube!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,135 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

After the game count (which you'll always get differing oppinions on anyway) the single main reason to get an Xbox is it's ability to be mod'd to an oustanding media center, and retro game emulator - there's something perversely fun about playing Boulderdash in 480p :).

Oh and as for you PC screen problem that sounds like your Opengl refresh rate is fkd. Get a util. to force a suitable rate for your monitor.

I dont have open gl as far as I know. I downloaded the new drivers from nvidia and although it doesnt say my graphics card is supported, it worked. So I can now play half life and counter-strike.

But any way. on friday I shall be buying an xbox with burnout 3 and an extra controller for 175. ill probably buy kotor or halo too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,135 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

OpenGL drivers are included with their driver package, and Halflife used it by default. The new ones probably just forced a compatible refresh rate. Anyway, glad to hear it's sorted, and have fun with the new box (and get hold of Ninja Gaiden, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Metal arms and Riddick while you're at it :) ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

evad_lhorg wrote:
    I dont have open gl as far as I know. I downloaded the new drivers from nvidia and although it doesnt say my graphics card is supported, it worked. So I can now play half life and counter-strike.

But any way. on friday I shall be buying an xbox with burnout 3 and an extra controller for 175. ill probably buy kotor or halo too.

Where abouts it this package on sale?

look at your other post.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sam_hain

Do what I did and buy all of the consoles and then there is no problem at all :P

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

Buy Bill Gate's Box (Xbox) cause it has the GREATEST GAME EVER COMING OUT!!
    HALO 2.November 11th
    www.halo2.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Buy Bill Gate's Box (Xbox) cause it has the GREATEST GAME EVER COMING OUT!!
    HALO 2.November 11th
    www.halo2.co.uk

Do you work for Microsoft?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

It has to be PS2 imo. The only way your going to play GTA: San Andreas before summer 2005 is one the PS2, that alone is worth the €150 price tag. Plus you got GT4 and the most functional controller. XBox has better grafix but you need a microscope to really notice the difference.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

It has to be PS2 imo. The only way your going to play GTA: San Andreas before summer 2005 is one the PS2, that alone is worth the €150 price tag. Plus you got GT4 and the most functional controller. XBox has better grafix but you need a microscope to really notice the difference.

Why do PS2 fans cling onto GTA:SA and GT4? PS2 fans have been yearning from GT4 and GTA:SA for 2 yars or more nearly.
    There's constantly groundbreaking titles to look forward to on xbox. Fable, Halo 2, Half life 2, doom 3. TO name the ones we all look forward to at the moment. Fair enough originating from pc but if your a bum student and you cant afford a new gfx card every year the xbox is the next best thing.

And as for not noticing the difference in graphics. No microscope required my friend. run GTA on ps2 and xbox side by side and trust me, no microscope required.

i agree but san andreas is a big must have!! I still havnt bought either yet. i have the chance for a ps2 with two controllers and a memory card for 75euro. the burnout deal is sadly finished in my shop thuogh :( stupid tiger woods is on it now. The only thing that is pushing me towards the ps2 is san andreas and proevo 4. I dont think pro evo will play well on the xbox. the ps2 contrller is perfect for it with the 4 shoulder buttons.

XBox has better grafix but you need a microscope to really notice the difference.
    I couldn't see halo been run on a ps2, especially with the advanced pixel shading, natural lighting and texturing. Xbox games are less jaggy and have great texture effects, pixel shading among other things (dead or alive 3, project gotham, etc.). Munche's oddyssy wouldn't look half as good as it does, if it came out on the PS2.
    evad_lhorg wrote:
    I dont think pro evo will play well on the xbox. the ps2 contrller is perfect for it with the 4 shoulder buttons.
    I can't see why the controller s (which is the standard control pad now with the console) wouldn't play well with football games. It'll be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 DieHardGamer

Get a ps2, MGS3 will be way better then Splinter Cell 3 (i didnt see much difference between SC 1 and 2 so i doubt 3 will be any better). The gap between games like GT4, GTA and MGS is a good thing, it gives the developers more time to make them better. And you'll be gaurenteed a better game and not just another sequel with a few more gadgets thrown in like in Splinter Cell. As for Halo, whats the big deal? It isn't that great, besides Timesplitters 2 and the Medal of Honour games are good enough to satisfy any FPS fan, Timesplitters 3 looks way better then TS2 and maybe even a Halo 2 beater.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

As for Halo, whats the big deal? It isn't that great, besides Timesplitters 2 and the Medal of Honour games are good enough to satisfy any FPS fan, Timesplitters 3 looks way better then TS2 and maybe even a Halo 2 beater.

I'm nearly retching in disbelief how you could be so ignorant
    Your blatantly not a "FPS fan," if any of the MOH series satisfy you,
    And the reason the term Halo Beater is bandied about so much is precisely that, it's the epihany of FPS on any console (P.C. excluded)
    How often have you heard the term "Medal of Honour - Frontline beater"
    Exactly.

God bless you.

do worry. this is the fool who had his own ps2 or xbox thread and he sucked sony's cock.

timesplitters 3 will be great but its on the xbox as well you fool. the xbox pad is much better for fps. and why not have halo(one of the best) along with timesplitter(another one of the best) instead of timesplitters and moh which is crap compared to the others mentioned,

mgs3 will just be one big giant cut-scene. im not saying the game isnt good but jesus, mr kojima, if we want a film we'll go to the cinema.

die hard gamer... you obviously have never played halo or splinter cell or any other console other than ps2, properly. you wouldnt be so ignorant if you had.

As for Halo, whats the big deal? It isn't that great, besides Timesplitters 2 and the Medal of Honour games are good enough to satisfy any FPS fan, Timesplitters 3 looks way better then TS2 and maybe even a Halo 2 beater.
    Timesplitters 2 and the medal of honour games are pretty crap compared to halo (you can get them on the xbox anyway with sharper graphics). You say that timesplitters 3 (on the xbox anyway as the above poster has mentioned) might be even a halo 2 beater which basically says that you're looking forward to halo 2, so you must of really liked halo and yet you say it's not that great.
    And you'll be gaurenteed a better game and not just another sequel with a few more gadgets thrown in like in Splinter Cell.
    What about the fantastic multiplayer mode with xbox live. That was hardly just an added gimmick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

diehardgamer is a blinkered fanboy, which is fair enuf
    he loves his ps2, good 4 him
    i however prefer the xbox (own xbox and ps2 along with dreamcast n64 etc etc)
    games are better, games look better, games play better they are just better
    i cant find a game on any console 2 compare with ninja gaiden or knights of the old republic
    oh and the whole modding thing with the 250 gig drive filled with cartoons and films
    kinda pushes the xbox so far ahead its not funny

Advertisement