Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS2 OR XBOX? which would you suggest I buy?

Options
  • 05-09-2004 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭

Im really stuck here. I would just like to know what console you would suggest. mainly for single player games. if i get an xbox I may go live. what games would you suggest for each? I know the following are suppposed to be good or shall be good

Halo
    Fable
    Kotor
    GTA double pack
    burnout 3
    splinter cell 3
    deus ex:invis war
    doom 3
    conker
    far cry
    Half life 2
    Pro evo 4

but playstation has so many shaggin games. all I can think of that stands out are the following
    gran turismo
    GTA san andreas/double pack
    devil may cry
    Pro evo 4

but I wanna know what would be considered the great games on each? so then i can pick. I already have my gamecube so dont suggest that over the others.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Brock

evad i just traded in my gamecube for a xbox and it was easily the greatest decision ever. if u have broadband i would defo say xbox with the impending release of halo 2 fifa 2005 and pro ev 4 as they are all xbox live pro ev aint online on ps2.
    as for the ps2 i do have one and all the good games are on other consoles except gran turismo 4 which will also be online so my freind the choice is a tough one my best advice is trade in gamecube for either ps2 or xbox then buy the other then ur sorted and problem solved.
    brock

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

no im keeping my cube most definitely as it beats them all out of the water when it comes to having the better exclusive games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

The PS2 has many great Japanese-flaired games that are exclusive to the console (ie. RPGs). If that's not what you are looking for then I would get an Xbox. Most western-based titles are showing up on both PS2 and Xbox and the Xbox version usually wins out from a technical standpoint.

All it really comes down to is which console has the most amount of games that you want to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

I went Gamecube as nintendo tend to make the best games in the world....metroid, mario etc. Besides most of the big games on the other two consoles tend to be cross platform and end up on the PC, which being a far more powerful (and expensive) machine, tends to do the same games much better.... Vice City, Halo etc!

But if i had to go for one of the other consoles i'd get an xbox as it has a hardrive and it looks like fun to mod them.

Otherwise i'd wait till the next gen come out.....not long away i believe!

p

well i like rpg games but saying that im not a big rpg gamer. like I dont go looking for them all the time. id look for the bigger ones that are supposed to be better. tales of symphonia will be coming my way. kotor if I get an xbox.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

evad_lhorg wrote:
    Im really stuck here. I would just like to know what console you would suggest. mainly for single player games. if i get an xbox I may go live. what games would you suggest for each? I know the following are suppposed to be good or shall be good

Halo
    Fable
    Kotor
    GTA double pack
    burnout 3
    splinter cell 3
    deus ex:invis war
    doom 3
    conker
    far cry
    Half life 2
    Pro evo 4

but playstation has so many shaggin games. all I can think of that stands out are the following
    gran turismo
    GTA san andreas/double pack
    devil may cry
    Pro evo 4

but I wanna know what would be considered the great games on each? so then i can pick. I already have my gamecube so dont suggest that over the others.

xbox by a mile m8
    on gamespots top 10 rated games of the year so far there are 6 xbox games
    says it all really
    http://www.gamespot.com/misc/top100_score.html?tag=gs_lnav_topscore

oh and once u play ninja gaiden u will see why u made the right choice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

If you have a gaming standard PC, then the PS2. If not, the Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

If you have a gaming standard PC, then the PS2. If not, the Xbox.
    Why you think that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Why you think that?
    [not to answer someone else's question]
    Because:
    Halo - better on PC, but you can see the primitive graphics *too* clearly
    Fable - will be on PC
    Kotor - on PC
    GTA double pack - on PC
    burnout 3
    splinter cell 3 - graphics are way better on PC (assuming decent GFX card BTW)
    deus ex:invis war - same again, and not worth it as the orginal is miles better
    doom 3 - needless to say, it is made for PC
    conker - never heard of it
    far cry - must be played on PC to see what the designers were intending!
    Half life 2 - same as usual
    Pro evo 4 - don't play footie games personally

...basically, most if not all of the "big" X-Box games are on PC and the graphics are by and large better. The old ACE mag said it best that to get the best games you need a computer and a console. It was an Amiga and a SNES I think back then. Same stands for today.

PS2: MGS, FF, Gran Turismo, GTA, multiude of Jap RPGs and games which are very original or at least more interesting than the western style of games which these days seems to be endless FPS (even turning DEx into one!). And FPS on PC (and a lot of those big X-Box games are FPS) is without doubt The Way It's Meant To Be Played....IMHO!

But if no PC, get an X-Box to play some of those. Although a PS2 you'd prob have more fun with some true classics like GTA:VC or MGS, FFX (or even VII if never played). New games have got great graphics sure but usually only worth experiencing on PC. If it's a downgrade of visual quality is called for, I would go for game quality more than simply what is newer. Er.

To the original poster: before deciding what to get based on games not even out yet, you'd find that a PS2 and it's mountainous back catalogue will probably give you more enjoyment. X-Box games are expensive, and the *current* range is limited although there are some good games there. But seriously, don't get one to play PC games which are most of what you mentioned. There are some incedible PS2 only games like the RPGs, and so on which are excellent and you can pick up a hell of a lot of PS2 games for next to nothing these days in bargain bins.

........everyone should play Final Fantasy VII at least once in their lives! And it's a PSX game!

EDIT: just looked at that chart, didn't know GTA was on X-Box! FInally it got a decent game!

ahh the expense is no matter as I get a hefty discount cause I work in game. that was another one of my reasonings behind getting the xbox as my brother doesnt want me to play games on his pc.(wanker).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Wud go wit PS2.....had Xbox and PS2 but bought PC so sold PS2 and bought new graphics card for PC.....Xbox games are all available on PC and run better(well 90% of them).....PS2 have a more diverse range of games!

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

I'd go for the XBOX. The only reason I've hung onto my PS2 is that I'm waiting for the new Gran Turismo. Most game developers release their games on all platforms these days anyway. Plus you can modify an XBOX to do all manner off cool stuff like playing divx films, or fitting a bigger hard drive to store your games on so they *ahem* load quicker and save your originals from getting scratched...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Why not just buy all of them :) GC, PS2, XBox and an uber gaming PC. Sorted....

tbh, I have all 3 consoles, the most played is the PS2. Xbox is a good laugh for multiplayer and all but I find myself playing my PS2 more so than the XBox. Although, as was mentioned in comments above, any decent game on the XBox you can get on PC and PC will always win over a console. You just cant play FPS games on a joypad, it wasn't meant to be.

Because:
    Halo - **** on the pc
    Fable - I haven't seen anything about the pc version of this. If there is one it will not be out for a while.
    Kotor - Is quite buggy on the PC
    GTA double pack - on PC, Xbox and PS2
    burnout 3 - Better graphics on the Xbox compared to PS2
    splinter cell 3 - Graphics are slightly better on pc because of higher resolution. Try playing it on Xbox at 480p
    deus ex:invis war - **** on PC, Xbox and PS2
    doom 3 - "needless to say, it is made for PC" agreed
    conker - http://www.xbox.com/en-ie/conker/default.htm
    far cry - The xbox version is not going to be the same game as the pc, it will have a different story.
    Half life 2 - Why you complaining about this? The PS3 will have this.
    Pro evo 4 - Xbox Live play
    true classics like GTA:VC or MGS, FFX

GTA is on the PC and Xbox. MGS is on PC and Xbox. FFX on pc and none of them are exactly classics.
    X-Box games are expensive

Bullsh*t. Xbox games are the same price and its cheaper to buy a Xbox compared to a PS2.
    multiude of Jap RPGs and games

If want to go on about modded consoles then a modded Xbox is much better than a modded PS2. A modded xbox can become a whole entertainment system. With a bigger HDD you can put all your games on it, all your music, dvds and divx on it.
    EDIT: just looked at that chart, didn't know GTA was on X-Box! FInally it got a decent game!
    :rolleyes:

Try and do some research before you bash a console. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Seriously doubt that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I'd get an X-Box .. in fact, I did. The single player games are great and the Live play is even better.

bazH wrote:
    Seriously doubt that

Its been confirmed

http://news.spong.com/detail/news.asp?prid=7557

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Well if we want to get really nasty:
    Ciaran500 wrote:
    Because:
    Halo - **** on the pc
    - crap game anyway
    Fable - I haven't seen anything about the pc version of this. If there is one it will not be out for a while.

- no it isn't, I played it to the end without a single crash. Patches were ont he auto download thing and worked flawlessly. It is a great game however. I never found any bugs.

- yes that's true, recently you can get GTA on X-Box but heck it's 2 years since it came out on PS2. No need for X-Box to play a 2 year old game....even if it is one of the console's better ones (!)

burnout 3 - Better graphics on the Xbox compared to PS2
    - true.

splinter cell 3 - Graphics are slightly better on pc because of higher
    - is this even out yet? We can't compare non-released games.....
    resolution. Try playing it on Xbox at 480p
    - he's buying a new console not a new TV!

deus ex:invis war - **** on PC, Xbox and PS2
    - so shouldn't even be a consideration

doom 3 - "needless to say, it is made for PC" agreed
    conker - http://www.xbox.com/en-ie/conker/default.htm
    far cry - The xbox version is not going to be the same game as the pc, it will have a different story.
    - but it's main selling point was the gfx and non-linear gameplay. Story was as generic as you get. Interesting to play on PC to see the cool FX but little original game in there

- ah now, I'm sure HL2 will eventually be on Gameboy Advance but it doesn't mean it's worth playing a bastardised console version when/if it ever gets released

GTA is on the PC and Xbox. MGS is on PC and Xbox. FFX on pc and none of them are exactly classics.
    Ah come on now. GTA is absolute classic. MGS 1 is a classic without doubt and a great experience to play even if it only what 10-15 hrs. FFX again, 2 years old. And IMHO it is excellent. Didn't think it was on PC at all however. You are thinking of FFXI?

Bullsh*t. Xbox games are the same price and its cheaper to buy a Xbox compared to a PS2.
    Cheaper to buy an X-Box is a few quid, so it's irrelevant. New games sure are same price but there's little new games that are worth buying one console over the other unless you need to play cut-down PC converted FPS games, in which case, get an X-Box. If you get over buying the latest stuff as a must, PS2 games are for nought these days. Comparing Driver 3 et al and new games of course X-Box is better for GFX but I am buying these games and finding little substance to them in comparison to the masses of great PS2 games.

If want to go on about modded consoles then a modded Xbox is much better than a modded PS2. A modded xbox can become a whole entertainment system. With a bigger HDD you can put all your games on it, all your music, dvds and divx on it.
    :rolleyes:
    Try and do some research before you bash a console. :(
    Yeah yeah modded this and that. It was games not whether you can convert it into it's "Cheap PC Mode" with ease. I'm sure you can, but I don't think that's an issue. Heck, Linux is great on PS2 or is it? OR IS IT? You can do anything with anything but the focus was games and game quality.

Halo - **** on the pc - crap game anyway - "so shouldn't even be a consideration"

- no it isn't, I played it to the end without a single crash. Patches were ont he auto download thing and worked flawlessly. It is a great game however. I never found any bugs. - Two of my friends had trouble getting this to run properly on their machine.

- "yes that's true, recently you can get GTA on X-Box but heck it's 2 years since it came out on PS2. No need for X-Box to play a 2 year old game....even if it is one of the console's better ones (!)" - But you keep saying how he should be buying old games for PS2 and its was not out "recently", it was out last year.

splinter cell 3 - Graphics are slightly better on pc because of higher
    - is this even out yet? We can't compare non-released games.....
    resolution. Try playing it on Xbox at 480p
    - he's buying a new console not a new TV! - I was trying to make the point that you can't compare graphics on an expensive pc to a console on a crappy tv at low detail.

- but it's main selling point was the gfx and non-linear gameplay. Story was as generic as you get. Interesting to play on PC to see the cool FX but little original game in there - The point is that its not just a port of a pc game lke you keep saying most xbox games are, it just uses the same engine.

- ah now, I'm sure HL2 will eventually be on Gameboy Advance but it doesn't mean it's worth playing a bastardised console version when/if it ever gets released - I don't think HL2 will be to "basterdised" on the xbox, the main problem will be converting the controls to work well on the xbox. But halo showed us that can be done.

cut-down PC converted FPS games

:rolleyes: How many games can you see on this list that were not either on Xbox first or on the PS2 aswell. http://www.xbox.com/en-ie/games/catalog.htm?cat=Shooter
    PS2 games are for nought these days

Both the GC and Xbox have load of older cheaper games and if you look around the second hand market you can get cheap games for all the consoles so this point is kind of irrevelant. (and evad_lhorg works in GAME so he gets cheap games anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,162 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

oh wow, another "my console is better than yours" thread - it's been a while...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

"My Gamecube brings all the boys to the yard......"

Ok here's the deal. I dont play on my pc. and If I do its only gonna be for something like comand and conquer. I cant get half life or counter-strike to run because the monitor keeps turning off. my pc is fairly decent but it should be able to run these games no problem.

halo was originally on the xbox was it not? I have it on pc and have only played about halfway through the second level. I like it but ive played a lot better. I prefer perfect dark! I need a really realistic shooter. I mean one were I can take a shotgun and see people limbs fly.

Ive pretty much decided on xbox because it gets all the cool pc games that arent strategy related. and if I want a strategy game i stilll havnt got 'generals'. Pikmin 2 should keep me going on my strategy ways for a bit. prime 2 and tales of symphonia and paper mario have my adventures sorted. and ill be getting doom 3 probably, when it's out. kotor is on 30 eurons as of tomorrow on xbox. san andreas willl be out on xbox soon enough as will half life 2(if it is ever gonna come out). I tend not to play on pcs anyway. I hate the constant upgrading crap.

so heres my list of games im gonna get for cube and xbox. well the ones with a yes are definite and the ones with a maybe are..well ...eh maybes.

GAMECUBE

tales of symphonia - YES
    timesplitters 2 YES
    goldeneye rogue agent -
    killer 7-
    mega man anniversary collection -
    metroid prime 2 - YES
    prince of persia 2 -
    pikmin 2 - YES
    res evil 4-
    third age -
    joe 2 -
    soul calibur 2 - YES
    hitman 2 - Maybe
    paper mario - maybe
    star fox -
    zelda -
    smash bros - YES
    geist -
    monkey ball - maybe
    rocky - maybe
    second sight maybe
    NHL 2005 -

XBOX

Halo YES
    Fable YES
    Kotor YES
    GTA double pack YES
    burnout 3 YES
    splinter cell 3
    deus ex:invis war - maybe
    doom 3 YES
    conker
    far cry
    Half life 2
    Pro evo 4 YES

There are some good games on that list. Goldeneye looks like another generic EA shooter. But Killer 7 looks like it could be amazing, I just hope Capcom deliver.

How can Joe 2 be a mabye!!

FYI: Super monkey ball is meant to be coming to the Xbox with the levels from SMB 1&2 and a load of new levels.

joe 2 isnt a maybe I just havnt filled in some of the unreleased games. ill get it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Verdammt

"My Gamecube brings all the boys to the yard......"

"And they're like, my Xbox is better than your's"

hahaha "my box is better than yours."

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

Buy an Ngage ;)

you shut up and go stand in the bold corner! ;)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Atari Jaguar.
    That is all.

• Advertisement

do you wish to go to the bold corner two ms kirby? :D

Advertisement