Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call of Duty: United Offensive goes Gold...

Options
  • 02-09-2004 9:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭

Know we're all waiting for Mr. Freeman to make he's long over due return to the succour of our cathode ray nipples, but in the meantime I think I will be cranking this up when it comes out....

Looks like it could be purty good, specially with Grey Matter behind it....check out some of the new particle effects they've been able to grind out of the Q3 engine....pretty cool....

...oh and Tanks in Multiplayer? Rock on....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Hmmm, i might piclk this up meself. COD was the nuts, and in MP you just cant beat the feeling of satisfaction gained from a perfectly accurate headshot with an old bolt action rifle :D
    Tho having said that, the MP could be a right pain in the swiss roll when youre the only one with a rifle on a map full of n00bs with machine guns :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Cant wait for this! will be class! the original was great!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Anyone got the release date for it yet? HAve a LAN coming up and could use something new.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

ding wrote:
    Anyone got the release date for it yet? HAve a LAN coming up and could use something new.

noiticed in a shop the other day that it was sept 24....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭rabid

..slim to minute chance of getting a demo before that....a multiplayer one'd be the dogg's....

May have to get my bro in the US to ship it over to me..though whats a week...... :eek:

Check out this groovy preview on
    Firing Squad...

...though their screenshots are kinda sucky....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

I happened to be over in the US during the week and managed to pick this up.... :) ,remember quicksave is your friend... those damn Nazi's have been practicing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,162 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

It's out friday here. There's been a demo out for a couple of days - check the usual places...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Medeiocre at best, i finised it on the second hardest difficulty in less than 2 days ,id say there is about 8 hours playing time in it,it's still scripted to fook and the ai is a bit dumb, :confused:

There is really only 3 new weapons, same type weapons just look differant for the various armies...imo the flamethrower sucks donkeyballs aswell :(

CC

• Registered Users Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭BKtje

Tho having said that, the MP could be a right pain in the swiss roll when youre the only one with a rifle on a map full of n00bs with machine guns
    Play on modded servers where they limit the amount of each wep (bar rifles).

Im almost finished this, its basically more of the same which in itself isnt bad. Its enjoyable if somewhat short. Its quite difficult on veteran i must say ;)

The Domination game type is a mixture of cod and bf. Its quite good. Aint played any of the other game types yet.

God damn it, saw that UO would be on sale in the UK for £19.99, so assumed Game would be putting it out for around €29.99....

Go in yesterday and its marked €39.99!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a bunch of muppets, well they can go suck an egg...if I do get this now its going to be from Play.com...where I was originally going to order it from....

Ahhhhh!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

playing the original on veteran was absolutely brilliant. gives at least 2 weeks of gaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Gozer

Smyths in Blanchardstown are selling it for 24.99.Sign up in the store for their loyalty and get another 2.50 off the price.Just after picking up a copy of it this evening.Happy Days.

..nice one....shall have to wait till Monday to zip down to the Parnell St one and pick upa copy.....

Post your thoughts on how UO plays out over the weekend....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Cool in to town I go....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ian25

Got my copy yesterday for eur25 in game on henry street ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Mine was 29.99 in game in cork.

haven;t installed yet due to alcohol and work, how is it??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,459 ✭✭✭shinzon

got mine in smyths yesterday 24.99, more of the same but damn well executed

Worthy purchase

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Got it for 24.99 at game on henry street.Its pretty damned good.As was said its more of the same but when that "same" is Call Of Duty then its no bad thing at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Gozer

Single player is the same as the original which is a good thing.The game comes into its own on Multiplayer.I especially love team deathmatches and being able to drive vehicles.The intensity and atmosphere of the maps are superb.Downside-maps are a bit small scale.Love the flamethrowers-really nifty.

what sort of fps are you guys getting in united offensive? the original ran as smooth as silk with 12*10 and 8xaf and 2xaa. now i have to run it at 10*7 and 8xaf and 2xaa to get a semi smooth experience. i have all the details turned to max as well as all the options turned on in the performance tab turned to max as well. using a 9800 pro. i have a slow cpu (1800+ xp) and 512mb ram.
    if i upgrade my cpu, mobo and ram will it run smooth?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

vishal wrote:
    what sort of fps are you guys getting in united offensive? the original ran as smooth as silk with 12*10 and 8xaf and 2xaa. now i have to run it at 10*7 and 8xaf and 2xaa to get a semi smooth experience. i have all the details turned to max as well as all the options turned on in the performance tab turned to max as well. using a 9800 pro. i have a slow cpu (1800+ xp) and 512mb ram.
    if i upgrade my cpu, mobo and ram will it run smooth?

Mine ran fine till the last mission @ "12*10 and 8xaf and 2xaa"...then the amount of slow down made it a total lottery...

i think it is a cpu thing cos i lowered it down to 8*6 and it still ran slow. doom 3 runs faster then this. i'd say if i had a 3200 athlon 64 it would run smooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

P4 3.4hz ..... not a flicker

..Henry Street here I come.....

I just love Grafton Street.....its got its own little microcosym for shops like Game and Brown Thomas (dare I mention that name.....ewwww!) where they just up the boost the mark-up on their products.....

They suck...

Looks like I'll be hitting Henry Street for my skimpy little COD-piece next week...

Chamone..
    :eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Game in Tallaght have it for sale for 39.99 yoys,across the road in Smiths its 24.99yoyos.
    Damn robbing Game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Q_Elexra

Well I've been waiting for this since it was announce and I finally got it and installed it only to get the message that I had to update the OpenGL drivers on the PC. I got this message before for Soldier of Fortune II and downloaded the drivers then. When I reinstalled those ones it still wouldn't work. The problem is I spent about two hours looking for the drivers the last time. Can someone tell me where to get the updates. Please. I'm liable to go mad if I don't get to play this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Q_Elexra wrote:
    Well I've been waiting for this since it was announce and I finally got it and installed it only to get the message that I had to update the OpenGL drivers on the PC. I got this message before for Soldier of Fortune II and downloaded the drivers then. When I reinstalled those ones it still wouldn't work. The problem is I spent about two hours looking for the drivers the last time. Can someone tell me where to get the updates. Please. I'm liable to go mad if I don't get to play this.
    what kind of graphics card do you have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Hanginthere

The single player was amazing but a little short lived, I was surprised of the quality of the game compared to some other expansion packs*cough*. I got hooked on the first mission and played it all the way through, The mg's will be a nice touch in multiplayer(which is very bf1942) and im looking forward to some people playing it at gamecon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Deadwing wrote:
    and in MP you just cant beat the feeling of satisfaction gained from a perfectly accurate headshot with an old bolt action rifle

You said it man!

UO - is AWESOME!

also, SP is hard! those nazis are attacking really well, and there is lots of them! sometimes it's really overwhelming!

graphics, have improved, now when you shoot at the car, you can see the flashes of bullets when they hit the metal, same with walls and other material

there is a smoke bomb in MP now! and other nice rifles and machine guns, as you probably know you can drive tanks and jeeps

my pc(3.06ghz, 1gb rdram, rad9700) has really trouble running that game on the max! and on SP, on that map, where you have to run over the huge field with tanks shooting at you, I couldn't play at all! not that it was jerky, it's hardly moved at all!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Q_Elexra

tman wrote:
    what kind of graphics card do you have?

A crap one. I just don't have the funds to update.

NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX :(

Advertisement