Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Testicular Tumor and my story

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Frank Drebin

I had to get checked out 'downstairs' about a year ago... The doctor said if he was to get any cancer he would rather it be testicular. It's the easiest to identify, the easiest to treat and has something like 99% survival rate provided it's caught early. Mine turned out to be an infection. It's still not the same to this day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Panicked

Hi, I'm a regular poster here, this is my anon alter-ego. I'm posting this if anything, basically as a reminder. Let's be honest, the majority of boards.ie members are young men. The most common type of cancer for men between 15 and 35 is testicular cancer..

It was pure pot-luck that I checked myself. Never did it before, I thought it was only old men that got things like this. It's rare that a lump actually causes pain, but mine does, which is the only reason I discovered it. Did I get a terrible shock two days ago when I felt it.

Went to my college doctor this afternoon (wednesday). He's a jovial fellow, chatted with me and got me to admit my worries. Jokingly said not to worry, that 9 out of 10 times it's nothing serious. Midway through the examination his banter stopped. When we sat down again he immediately picked up the phone and I quote "Hi Dr ***, it's Dr. &&& from such and such clinic. Listen I don't usually do this but could you get me a testes ultrasound as soon as possible? 8am tomorrow, perfect, thanks". His joviality was gone.. in it's place, concern.

So in a little over 7 hours I'm going to get some very cold jelly rubbed onto my balls. Then I expect to be saying bye-bye to one of them over the next few weeks. As you can see I've resigned myself to the worst probable scenario. Hope that's as far as it goes. I really don't know if I personally could face sterility with anything less than a breakdown.

Still, won't stop me attempting to put on a brave face when admitting the above (if it happens to be true) to my anxiety ridden parents. I try to keep them on a need to know basis..

Remember lads, once a month, in the shower or bath check yourself. And if you find something, for christ's sake go to the friggin doctor..

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

Best of luck tomorrow morn !!

I wouldn't worry about the sterilty issue, there are means and ways of preserving your soldiers.

You did the right thing getting to the doctor asap.

Just 1 thing, when doctor or the nurse puts the gel on your nut, just think Margaret Thatcher on a cold day, guaranteed to knock any rogue arousal thoughts out of your membership !!

Good Luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Panicked

Just an update..

I'm actually bouncing with joy. The doc turned the moniter around to me during the ultrasound and while I got a strange sonographic view of my own testicles he explained to me that there's nothing wrong with them. He did however find four (I only found one) fluid cysts on both of them consistent with a heavy kick to the groin or similar injury. I had no explanation for him and am still oblivious myself.

Apparently these cysts exhibit most of the signs of a tumor; size, consistency, location etc that is except under a luminescence or ultrasound. So if you suspect you only have one of these, I tell you that you just don't know, get it checked out!

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

Nice one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,257 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Panicked wrote:
    So in a little over 7 hours I'm going to get some very cold jelly rubbed onto my balls.
    One day, I will invent a jelly warmer (also to be used with shampoo and toothpaste - but only after you clean it :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

Panicked wrote:
    Just an update..

I'm actually bouncing with joy. The doc turned the moniter around to me during the ultrasound and while I got a strange sonographic view of my own testicles he explained to me that there's nothing wrong with them. He did however find four (I only found one) fluid cysts on both of them consistent with a heavy kick to the groin or similar injury. I had no explanation for him and am still oblivious myself.

Apparently these cysts exhibit most of the signs of a tumor; size, consistency, location etc that is except under a luminescence or ultrasound. So if you suspect you only have one of these, I tell you that you just don't know, get it checked out!
    i found 2 about 2.5 years ago.. doc said it was probably nothin, no pain or discomfort, 2 and a half years later i'm still alive and they're still there..

Moral of the story, i am happy now, i wasn't when i kept saying 'aww it's probably nothin, i don't need a doc'

so to anyone who hasn't been to a doc yet, GO!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 526 ✭✭✭dendenz

Panicked wrote:
    Just an update..

Am thrilled to hear its minor. Things like this scare people. I reiterate what he said examine yourselves

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Panicked wrote:
    consistent with a heavy kick to the groin or similar injury. I had no explanation for him and am still oblivious myself.

muhahahaha It's great yur alright but I'm getting images of Jackass the movie where yur man stuck the car up his ass :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Sorry to bump, but just wondering, any more news, dendenz? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

Exactly a year ago I had a similiar problem, my left testicle was hurting like hell, and I had this dull pain up my abdomen, it was slightly swollen too, scared me ****less....went to the doc, he assured me it was nothing serious and it was just an infection (epididymitis), wasn't totally happy with it, a while after I developed pains down my legs from it....I went back to him and yet again he assured me it was nothing, then it started to go, pains in my legs disappeared, no pain in my abdomen, testicle pain went....I still have a lot of sensitivity down there though...at the top and bottom of the little eggs :D but apart from that theres nothing wrong....very weird, but I'm happy with it. The whole thing went on for about 2 months....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I wouldn't know myself if there was something wrong with my testicles - I simply don't know what to compare against. I've enough trouble figuring out what they are like as I'd be afraid to squeeze a little too much.

anybody know of a site with some detailed info on how to check for abnormality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Dermington

NeoSlicerZ wrote:
    Fair play to you for posting about it.. and hope the loss of one testicle doesn't affect you too much 0_o

shouldnt it be more like "doesn't affect you too much 0_" ?

:D

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Well done man. Its a **** thing to go through i would imagine. I must admit that breast cancer awareness is through the roof but you rarely hear about screening for testicular cancer being advertised...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Here maybe if they had one of those trucks that they have for breast checks, for balls instead, and there's a picture of a hot nurse on the side with some sort of massage-related punchline! :D

Although that might work against the point ¬_¬

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Krusty

Hey Williemuncher man, I have the identical thing with my nadz.
    Freaked me out initially, and obviously thought the end was nigh.
    Went to the doc, and after a quick check he said that it was an infection (as you said, the epididymitis).

Relief-central afterwards.

The pain comes back quite often, mostly dull pain, but the odd time can get your attention. Particularly after nuptuals with my special lady friend :D

Just Re-filling the bag I guess, which Mr. Epididymitis is involved with.(pardon the crudeness) ;)

OP and the others, delighted all is going/went ok.

Check yourselves out often lads!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

i had the same problem about a month ago, i had awefull pain for a week before i went to the doctor. He have me painkillers and anti inflamateries but the pain came back after a week or so.He then told me i needed an ultrasound. I decided to go private to the clinic in drumcondra.I decided eot go private a didnt want to be waiting for the ultrasound.It cost 70 euro, had the scan.I was told i would hear the next day but i rang, they still hadnt got back the scan results. Then i got the call, everything was fine.He told me over the phone that i didnt have cancer.That kinda shocked me as i never expected that it might be as you hear that only older people over 50 get this type of cancer. He was proberbly making sure as i told him about my mothers cancer and its better to be safe than sorry. I was soo relieved after i got that call.So anyone out there who has a slight pain, dont be proud, go to your gp and get it checked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I had a scare a few years back, but it just turned out to be a swollen blood vessel on the testicle.

You should not be afraid to go to the 'vets' if you think something is wrong; it's not always the worst possible but if it is it is as well to catch it early.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,257 ✭✭✭✭Victor

galwaydude wrote:
    That kinda shocked me as i never expected that it might be as you hear that only older people over 50 get this type of cancer.
    As I understand it testicular cancer is much more common in younger men.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

Sorry victor, i got it wrong mate. i was talking about another cancer prostate. Sorry for the confusion.

http://www.allaboutprostate.com/ states that Men in their thirties and forties rarely develop prostate cancer, but the incidence increases steadily after the age of fifty-five. Approximately 80 percent of all cases occur in men over the age of sixty-five and by the age of eighty, 80 percent of all men have prostate cancer to some degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

I have a sore left testicel for a week now, gets sore for a while and then goes away a no comes back, some friends say this is normal, not that painful but annoying, and uncomfortable, any thoughts ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I have a sore left testicel for a week now, gets sore for a while and then goes away a no comes back, some friends say this is normal, not that painful but annoying, and uncomfortable, any thoughts ?

Thoughts would be to see a doctor.

Yeah might in a few more days if it persists

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dmc17

Thoughts would be to see a doctor.

This would seem to be the most sensible idea.

Consulting a 10 year old thread on After Hours isn't going to get you the most accurate diagnosis, I'd imagine.

Thanks dmc17 you never know who would have a similar story

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dmc17

Thanks dmc17 you never know who would have a similar story

You'd also never know who'd think they have a similar story and give you a completely wrong diagnosis. Your best bet is to go see a doctor and do so as soon as you can to put your mind at ease. You'll be glad you went.

Hey Leinsterdude

Sorry to hear you're in pain. Get yourself to a doctor and get checked out. I'm going to lock this thread up as it's quite old and before Dr. Nick type medical advice begins to come in.

All the best.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement