Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simpsons Character Coming Out Of The Closet?

Options
  • 28-07-2004 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breaking/2004/07/28/story159042.html
    Fans of hit cartoon The Simpsons are poised for big news - one of the show's long-time characters is set to reveal he's gay.

At the moment, many fans are betting the character in question will be Waylon Smithers - who works for evil nuclear tycoon Mr Burns - but the show's producers are refusing to confirm or deny who it is.

Producer Al Jean says: "We have a show where, to raise money, Springfield legalises gay marriage. Homer becomes a minister by going on the internet and filling out a form. A longtime character comes out of the closet, but I'm not saying who."

Show creator Matt Groening jokes, "It's Homer!"

Hmm, I think Smithers would be a bit too obvious. Carl or Lenny maybe?

Which character do you think will come out of the Closet? 74 votes

Smithers
    0% 0 votes
    Patty or Selma
    13% 10 votes
    Kent Brockman
    32% 24 votes
    Lenny or Carl
    6% 5 votes
    Moe
    20% 15 votes
    Comic Book Guy
    9% 7 votes
    Principal Skinner
    4% 3 votes
    Barney
    1% 1 vote
    Krusty
    8% 6 votes
    Other
    4% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Poz3D

It's got to be Flanders :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Show creator Matt Groening said, "It's Homer!"

Where's the confusion? ;)

Flanders would be good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Well-toned body and a moustache. You two could be on to something there... :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

milhouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Moe or Millhouse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Principal Skinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

Why does the character have to be male? I vote for Lisa - hardcore lesbian if ever there was one tbh - that saxaphone has to be penis-envy... ;)

Dunno about Millhouse - he does have that crush on Lisa.

Groundskeeper Willy might be another possibility...

Originally posted by DMT
    Why does the character have to be male? I vote for Lisa - hardcore lesbian if ever there was one tbh - that saxaphone has to be penis-envy... ;)
    Fans of hit cartoon The Simpsons are poised for big news - one of the show's long-time characters is set to reveal he's gay.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭UnrealQueen

Its Bart:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Kent Brockman, clearly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Originally posted by TmB
    Moe

Moe did have that fling with the flower girl, whatsherface, though...

Barney?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Most of those characters have had major life changes in the past while. I'd say its one of the more obscure characters. Willie as said is a good possibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Wait! I've got it!

Its either Lenny or Carl... Which one was the least uneasy when Homer was drawing them nude in the showers?

Sideshow Bob? amazing what you can get used to in prison :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I was gonna say Nelson or Jimbo, but its all become so clear...

Troy Mclure!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Originally posted by therecklessone
    Troy Mclure!

Noo.. noo.... I said he sleeps with the fishes.

Moe or Lenny. Smithers is too obvious, and they wouldn't be able to make any more hinting-at-him-being-gay jokes, it wouldn't be funny anymore.

Who cares really though, the Simpsons stopped being funny a long time ago. It's like Will and Grace now.

Originally posted by koneko
    Who cares really though, the Simpsons stopped being funny a long time ago. It's like Will and Grace now.

Will And Grace was never funny...:dunno:

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

Its got to be Lenny. There's always undertones of him fancing Carl. Remember when him and Homer went off to work at the most dangerous job in the world, oil drilling?

Homer thought he had nothing to live for till Marge turned up in a helicoptor. Lenny thought he had nothing to live for till Carl appeared.

Classic one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Originally posted by Wavey
    Its got to be Lenny. There's always undertones of him fancing Carl. Remember when him and Homer went off to work at the most dangerous job in the world, oil drilling?

Homer thought he had nothing to live for till Marge turned up in a helicoptor. Lenny thought he had nothing to live for till Carl appeared.

Classic one!

Classic one? It was rubbish!

The whole programme is rubbish! They've even managed to use the soap tactic of divulging part of a 'sensational' storyline in order to improve ailing ratings... well, not me, I'll take new Will & Grace over new Simpsons any day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

Will & Grace over the Simpsons?

Yeeh Gads Man!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Sideshow Bob or Chief Wiggum or Milhouse, I'd say. But I'd like to think it was Jimbo Jones because - to drag the tone of this thread down for a minute - I slightly fancy him

Not that I'll be able to see it as I don't have Sky One anymore :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

I'm thinking it's Patti ... or possibly the guy who owns the comic book store...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

its Kirk van Houten, milhouses dad,

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Originally posted by koneko
    Who cares really though, the Simpsons stopped being funny a long time ago.

so so so very true, i've just giving up watching the simpsons now.

i just buy the boxsets and watch the classics

Originally posted by Nuttzz
    its Kirk van Houten, milhouses dad,
    that was my third guess next to sideshow bob and milhouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,911 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's definitely Bart, it's been building up to it for ages.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 20,911 ✭✭✭✭Stark

By the way, I thought Smithers came out of the closet a while back? He definitely came out to Mr. Burns anyway (that "thanks for making the last few moments of my life very awkward Smithers" bit).

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Lenny, Carl and Smithers are too obvious.

Principal Skinner- Went out with Edna, but was a virgin for years and has an unhealthy fixation on his (fake) mother.

Krusty the Klown- Never really had a storyline where he dated someone. Did have an estranged wife, but we don't know much about her.

Milhouse- Might be too contriversial, also has a crush on lisa.

Mr Burns- Could be interesting twist on the Smithers/Burns relationship.

My Money's on Krusty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

From BBC News (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/3932369.stm )
    A character from The Simpsons is to be revealed as gay, sparking a mystery among fans over who it will be.

"We have a show where, to raise money, Springfield legalises gay marriage," producer Al Jean told fans at a comic book convention.

"Homer becomes a minister by going on the internet and filling out a form. A long-time character comes out of the closet, but I'm not saying who."

The last mystery Simpsons storyline involved killing off a character.

After weeks of speculation it was revealed Maude, the wife of Homer Simpson's neighbour Ned Flanders, was the unlucky victim of the cull.

Big screen

Speculation is already running rife across fan websites about who will be the mystery gay character, ranging from Mr Burns' devoted sidekick Waylon Smithers to one or both of Homer's sisters-in-law.

Simpsons creator Matt Groening joked to Comic-Con San Diego convention-goers "it's Homer".

In the episode, set to be broadcast in the US in January, Homer's hometown Springfield licenses gay marriage - a particularly hot topic in the US at the moment during election campaigning.

Groening also said plans were still afoot for a Simpsons movie but it would not be made until the TV series finally ended.

Guest stars for the next series may include rapper 50 Cent, comic actor Ray Romano and Sex and the City star Kim Cattrall.

I'd say it'll be Milhouse. :D

Advertisement