Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom 3 - Are you finding it boring?

Options
  • 16-08-2004 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I am. Just can not stick it for longer than an hour. It is a huge effort to play it. I simply am not mad about it. Too much of the same thing. Run around, kill monsters, find a key card, open the safe, stock up on ammo...and repeat.

Anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

cheesedude wrote:
    I am. Just can not stick it for longer than an hour. It is a huge effort to play it. I simply am not mad about it. Too much of the same thing. Run around, kill monsters, find a key card, open the safe, stock up on ammo...and repeat.

Anyone else?
    Are you playing easy, medium, or vetern?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

And what exactly did you do in Doom and Doom2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I'm with you cheesedude, I find myself getting bored of it really quickly.
    Haven't completed it, but I just can't bring myself to play it again.
    Doom 1 and 2 were great because it was an all-new gaming experience back then, since then it's been done to death and then done some more... I think our expectations have risen in the meantime.
    It's a good game for what it is... but what it is just doesn't draw me in for some reason :(

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Pugsley wrote:
    And what exactly did you do in Doom and Doom2?

That was a revolutionery experience. Something totally new. This just has better graphics and that is it. As santahoe says, good game for what it is...i can not get into it though.

EDIT: Oh ye playin it on medium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 nowwaiting

BORE IIII is a more appropriate title I feel as if I am playing the same complex/base level over and over again picking up PDAs that do they same things just in slightly different locations - iD this is not 1993 it's 2004 I expect more:confused:

OfflerCrocGod still in exile for no particular reason :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

any1 willing to sell there copy pm me but i dont want to buy if u use cd online

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭[CALIBUR]

Sweet jesus... doom3 boring ! the game is out of this world.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I honestly think you want the game to have sex with you or something. It's fantastic for what it is, A GAME!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭obewan

An outstanding game. Graphics/sounds and gameplay are hard, if not impossible to beat.

Mick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i'm about 4 hours into it now. and so far its held my attention far better than any other game i've played recently (the outdoor stretches of far cry were fairly moreish though)

a finely sculpted shootericon14.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

is there ne big bad guys in this? feel free to post an image.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 1,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭satchmo

Boring, not a chance! I've been playing it with the lights out and surround sound turned up, and it has me on the edge of my seat. It has what no other game I can think of has - atmosphere. And it has it in stacks. I'm constantly tense, and at one stage I didn't even want to move just in case something jumped on me! I'm not one to talk to myself usually, but I've found myself saying "what the **** is that?!" out loud more than a few times, as well as a couple of "JESUS!" yelps.

Recently I've found myself becoming bored with FPS games simply because none of them really gave me anything new, besides prettier graphics. I even gave up on Far Cry because it just seemed so much of the same stuff over and over again (although I might eventually go back to it when I've some spare time) . I just can't see how you could say the same thing about Doom 3 - this game actually scares me, and I can't remember the last time a game has done that, if ever.

The only reason I've stopped playing it tonight is because I need to wind down before I go to bed... you wouldn't believe the ****ed-up dreams I had last night!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

It scares you will it scares me 2. I dont think I have ever been scared in a game before. I love watching scary movies as for some strange resin I find them funny. Where people around me might be screaming I be there laughing. But with this game its different it does scary me I guess IM just not used to it. The sound is great this is what gives you the creeps. Its no wonder this game took so long to make "maybe a bit 2 long". The amount detail and effort they have put into this game.

All off yee have to play it on lan even just with your self and collect the skulls, its just cool :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

The game scarys the crap out of me just a while back i got to a door where a child started crying then laughing as your whole screen goes red .....Damn you id!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

nowwaiting wrote:
    OfflerCrocGod still in exile for no particular reason :eek:

Creating a new account to bypass a ban will get your ban extended. You know exactly why you where banned.

Back on topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Not at all-the further I get in the better it gets although Im only playing it in short bursts on veteran as thats what a friend told me to do-it definitely enhances the experience that bit more.Havent been bored by it once-amazing game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Bring back offlercrocgod!!!!!! Down with this sort of thing!!
    *ahem*
    Back on topic, doom, boring? Sweet jesus man what copy of doom are you playing? The one with all the levels missing and the lead charachter replaced by barbie and the zombies and demons replaced by horses, and instead of being called doom3 its actually called barbie race n ride?

Doom 3 has instantly shot into my top 3 games of all time, the atmosphere doesnt let up for one second, youre constanly nervous, on edge, waiting for the next monster to jump out of the shadows, or the next crying baby section or whatnot. Compared to other next gen FPS's, IE far cry, doom pisses all over it. Now i loved far cry, its a classic, but dooms atmosphere, storyline, action, character design, is just vastly superior, despite far crys bells and whistles like vehicles and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I hate to say it, but Doom 3 has to be one of the most tedious games I've ever played... I just keep getting a sense of 'seen it/done it' before. It just seems to predictable, with enemies 'Oh-So-Suddeningly' popping out, and the level design is pathetic at best. Maybe I've played too many scary games in my time, but the so-called "Shocks" feel so god damn tedious it's almost like I'm trudging through the game just to see more of the plot.

Although a lot of the plot details are really good, I think it's a pity that everything went to hell so early in the game. It would've been nice if they slowly built the plot a bit more instead of everything just exploding into hellishness. A favorite snippet of plot was where I found the audio log of the Doctor who describes a patient coming in, going crazy with a scalple, which is a pretty direct refference to Firefly! In fact, it's described almost identically to the chap in Firefly who 'Survived' the reaver attack then went scalple-happy on the meds while he was on the operating table, right down to the detail of the guy slicing his own tongue in half! Anyone else notice that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

I hate to say it, but Doom 3 has to be one of the most tedious games I've ever played... I just keep getting a sense of 'seen it/done it' before. It just seems to predictable, with enemies 'Oh-So-Suddeningly' popping out, and the level design is pathetic at best. Maybe I've played too many scary games in my time, but the so-called "Shocks" feel so god damn tedious it's almost like I'm trudging through the game just to see more of the plot.
    indeed i think the game was not up to any of my hopes . im now looking for hl2 to show me what im missing ... doom3 reminded me of quake 2 for some reason o and the multiplayer is pants

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

i'd have to agree with the original poster, i got bored senceless rather fast....just went back to playing nam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

yeh totally agree. I got bored of it pretty early in the game. I plowed through it anyway to see if it would surprise me. nope.

i wrote a fairly long-winded review here [contains spoilers]:

a thread only for those who've finished it. [Doom3]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

I got bored of it on the 1st level, went back to playing Doom2 with JDOOM.

when's the next game using the FarCry engine coming out? - I can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Whenever the lights go out, or I hear a sound I totaly loose control and start firing wildly in all directions, I cant help it. I yelped once.

It is a bit sameish alright, but the candy and the creeps make up for that.

And screw the farcry Engine whens Unreal 3 coming out?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

meh, it's okay but it's nothing spectacular and the storyline is alomst exactly like HL.

HL: Start a new job at a secret base on earth.
    D3: Start a new job at a base on mars.

HL: Get sent down to the bowels of the base to a secret experiment
    D3: Get sent down to the bowels of the base to bring some guy back up.

HL: Something goes terribly wrong
    D3: Something goes terribly wrong

HL: Get back to the top fighting monsters on the way.
    D3: Get back to the top fighting monsters on the way.

Some bits are good and pretty scary but......naw, not 'ground-breaking'

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Its good enough. good atomsphere but they did not go out of there way to do anything new and exciting. Then again I can't think of anything new to dow with the fps genre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Slepinir if you compare the (flimsy) story of doom 1 to HL you can see the exact same comparisons. Secret base, doing experiments, something goes wrong, hell breaks loose. Only HL fleshed the story out with set pieces.
    Doom 3 is a classic. Some people love it, some think it sucks, thats just the way it is. Personally i havent been this engrossed in a game in ages. Even with Far Cry, i loved it for about a week or 2, got bored, left it, and only months later picked it up and finally finished it. Doom 3 had me right from the word go.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I certainly don't find it boring. I find it very scary but not the most imagintive game around. I like it but it is essentially a showcase of the engine. I haven't finished it yet but I'm half expecting to see licensing fees and details on how to aquire it to appear at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Wolfy

I'd have to agree with the topic, am currently working my way through doom3 not playing but working as the game is becoming a chore. The game no longer scares me even remotely but the first time I came accross an imp i actually let out a cry as well as i ran backwards trying to shoot it and that has never happened to me before. But regardless the games flaws are becoming more apparent.... samey locations with just different shades of grey or green with flurescent blue or green here and there, basic basic basic AI making the enemies from the likes of IGI seem smart and more importantly once u play for a bit it becomes easy to spot where enemies will jump out at ya... game looses some of its touch when all u have to do is lob grenades around a corner at an unactivated monster u know is there follow that with increasingly annoying enemies like the spiders and flaming heads instead of increasingly harder enemies its like the game designers just wanna annoy the player into submission.
    Also the game is too easy on standard difficulty.... im pretty far into the game and ive yet to be killed.... ive never played another FPS where i havent died on standard setting and im too far into the game now to restart..... follow that with silly **** like pick up some armour and a small alcove will open in the wall containing a monster who has been patiently waiting for u.... or the knowing feeling that whenever u approach an objective enemies will spawn... i mean i cant actually think of a good modern fps that still relies on spawn points.... there are other probs i have with the game but im not gonna sit here and write a novel. I will say to the people who say things like " but have u not played doom1 and 2" that games have moved on since then. What was once revolutionary is now just boring. But hell I guess I can accept some ppl dont like to think when they play a game and find it easier to accept a substandard game as a result :P

ps the games sound is fantastic, animation is brill and the lighting system is also great so it has some superficial pros'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 =Baz=

You guys know what type of game you are buying before u fork out the cash, you read reviews and see screenshots!

What you see is what u get when u buy a game, if its a fps thats what u get shooting!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Wolfy

=Baz= wrote:
    You guys know what type of game you are buying before u fork out the cash, you read reviews and see screenshots!

What you see is what u get when u buy a game, if its a fps thats what u get shooting!

and???

Advertisement