Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Target Pistols return to Ireland

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭gouda

Sparks wrote:
    Er, gouda, the EU firearms pass is meant to be a passport type affair, not a licence. Are you sure it was initially meant to be a licence? Because right back as far as the actual EU directive on the firearms pass (91/477/EEC) it was made out to be a passport kind of thing, over the EEC breaking down the internal boundaries between markets within the then-EEC. It states quite explicitly that it does not overrule a member state's own rules on firearms:
    Supposedly to rid the EU of causing unecessary hassle to citizens legitimately travelling from one EU country to another. I believe I am correct in saying that an individual could travel to France or Germany and some other EU states with an European Firearms Permit only. It clearly states the calibre ,make and type of firearm on the EFP and it is an offence not to inform your local Police force of any weapons which are no longer owned by you but are listed on an EFP.Ergo,the EFP is a current record of firearms in an individuals possession and cannot be issued unless the holder has a current licence for the firearms listed. The only exception is that the UK will not put a sub 12ftlb air rifle on a EFP because there is no licence required in the UK and it cannot legally be put on a UK EFP. I am open to correction on this. It does away with the need for separate Import/Export licences every time a person leaves their country of residence. The Passport was not intended to cause hassle but our laws and the UK laws do not allow this. It is still a hassle to take a firearm to the UK, I recently had a trip going to Scotland but I was meeting friends in Stafford. Stafford Police would not issue the Visitors Permit as I was staying in Scotland,( Iwas also staying one night in Stafford,which we had to lie about or I would never have been allowed in)Scottish Police had a problem because my sponsor had access to his gun safe(where my gun was to be stored) but did not have a permit for my calibre, he would also have access to my ammunition,which he did not have a permit for. If he gave me the keys to his safe,then I would have access to his guns,which I did not have a permit for etc.etc.etc. We did get it resolved by stealth,we purchased a trigger lock which was supposedly going to be used on my gun and the ammunition was going to be stored over 60 miles away with a friend of my sponsor who had a licence for the same calibre. This was complicated further by Airlines not carrying firearms as checked baggage. To the best of my knowledge only Aer Lingus will carry firearms and ammunition as checked baggage to the UK.So much for ease of travel throughout the EU.

Sparks wrote:
    Well, article 17, section 6 of the act is pretty explicit...
    Which only goes to confirm my earlier remarks, difficult to obtain truthful info from DoJ. Either that or Glock is blatantly lying and I believe he is absolutely telling the truth. Perhaps Dec was on the beer last night and can't remember the truth or maybe he doesn't care about being honest. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I believe I am correct in saying that an individual could travel to France or Germany and some other EU states with an European Firearms Permit only.
    That would seem to depend on what firearms were on the permit though...
    And yes, it doesn't work perfectly with the UK, which is akward for us.

gouda wrote:
    Which only goes to confirm my earlier remarks, difficult to obtain truthful info from DoJ.
    Er....
    I'm not sure I'd say the DoJ is in the habit of outright lying!
    Either that or Glock is blatantly lying and I believe he is absolutely telling the truth. Perhaps Dec was on the beer last night and can't remember the truth or maybe he doesn't care about being honest. :D
    Or maybe he misunderstood the question...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Irishglockfan

Or maybe he misunderstood the question...[/QUOTE]

Doubt it highly, as i asked Declan[obvisouly well known by all and sundry here] to repeat the statement and too clarify it in simple english.It came back twice the same Got the lic Doj has no problem! no import of ammo though without the import lic!!
    Soo i think either three things here [1] DOJ doesnt know what the left &right hand are doing.
    [2]they dont know the law themselvs [3] or are just giving out conflicting information to keep us in the dark .
    also d said that there is a downloadable form for the import cert on the DOJ website.anyone seen it?

• Advertisement

gouda wrote:
    Supposedly to rid the EU of causing unecessary hassle to citizens legitimately travelling from one EU country to another. I believe I am correct in saying that an individual could travel to France or Germany and some other EU states with an European Firearms Permit only.
    FACT

It clearly states the calibre ,make and type of firearm on the EFP and it is an offence not to inform your local Police force of any weapons which are no longer owned by you but are listed on an EFP.Ergo,the EFP is a current record of firearms in an individuals possession and cannot be issued unless the holder has a current licence for the firearms listed.
    FACT

It does away with the need for separate Import/Export licences every time a person leaves their country of residence.INDEED

The Passport was not intended to cause hassle but our laws and the UK laws do not allow this.
    Now here we must ask why? Is it because of article 3 that Sparks mentioned before??

It is still a hassle to take a firearm to the UK, I recently had a trip going to Scotland but I was meeting friends in Stafford. Stafford Police would not issue the Visitors Permit as I was staying in Scotland,( Iwas also staying one night in Stafford,which we had to lie about or I would never have been allowed in)Scottish Police had a problem because my sponsor had access to his gun safe(where my gun was to be stored) but did not have a permit for my calibre, he would also have access to my ammunition,which he did not have a permit for. If he gave me the keys to his safe,then I would have access to his guns,which I did not have a permit for etc.etc.etc. We did get it resolved by stealth,we purchased a trigger lock which was supposedly going to be used on my gun and the ammunition was going to be stored over 60 miles away with a friend of my sponsor who had a licence for the same calibre.

Just goes to show how anal the uk has become on firearms matters,within twenty years ,and that common sense....oh well....

This was complicated further by Airlines not carrying firearms as checked baggage. To the best of my knowledge only Aer Lingus will carry firearms and ammunition as checked baggage to the UK.So much for ease of travel throughout the EU
    You mean between Ireland and the UK. Continental Europe is no problem.But then the continentals consider us a rather odd pair of island races. :D
    Forget Ryanair anyway they are totally anti gun transport.
    Least hassle airlines i have fond are
    USA Continental [NRA flag carrier] American Airlines
    Europe Lufthansa,Air France,Sabena, Aer lingus [if notified in advance]

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭benhurt1

[ Seems I am at last been vindicated about DoJ and innacurate/ill informed replies to questions. Go by what it says in the Firearms Acts and you wil be ok as it's hard to break the law when you can quote the legislation. On the other hand if you REALLY want to live dangerous ask DoJ difficult questions and then follow their advice TO THE LETTER. Shouldn't take long to get an appointment to speak with a High Court Judge if you follow DoJ advice on Firearms Law.[/QUOTE]

And if that happened.I think the dOJ would be standing with more egg on their mugs,going by the way things have gone inthe courts against them.
    be nice to get this in writing and present this in court if arrested on "gun running " charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

The law is clear, you need to get an import cert to import a firearm into the state. The import licence is pretty much automatic once you have a licence. Where's the confusion?

This seems to be what everyone is saying.

Confusion is what the DOJ is saying,especially it's personel who are charged with dealing with it.
    Sofar we have;
    No import without the license and import cert

Ok to import the firearm with the liscense but not the ammo without the import cert.[From the DOJ today as per my post]

Civ
    you are implying that if you have the lic and apply to DOj they will issue the import cert at once?Has this been put to the test?What is the turnaround time? if it is within a 14 day period,brilliant!
    This would be my plan anyway ,return to the USA and ferry it back personally.
    I dont want to be booking flites and waiting for DOJ's paperwork which they might/might not issue on time.
    Now we are getting conflicting reports from us here and DOJ?

I am beginning to wonder does DOJ really want to push this import cert on gundealers and importers?The quickest way to clear this up is ring Dec again and ask the same question[and record the conversation?? and ask for this in writing]or ask for his superior for the exact current policy.Surely Dec cant be the only one in DOJ handling this??? And if he is... well then he has to KNOW
    the current policy and procedure.

I got the impression he is one man handling a mass of paperwork,and that they want to cut this down by any means possible.

Downloaded the form.There is no mention of pistols on it.and it states quite clearly onit Applications must be recived two weeks before date of importation. So i would ASSume that means you should have a decision within 14 days.Maybe in an alternative dimension Ireland. :rolleyes:
    I have NEVER had anything returned from an irish beuraccy within a specified time limit,bar my gun lics nowadays,because i am on such good terms with my local garda sgt.

• Advertisement

Confusion is what the DOJ is saying,especially it's personel who are charged with dealing with it.
    Well, to be more accurate, the firearms unit is very clear on the opinions being given out; it's just that different people in the unit are giving out different opinions!
    Sofar we have;
    No import without the license and import cert
    Which cross-checks with the Firearms Act (Article 17, Sections 1 and 6, posted earlier on this thread).
    Ok to import the firearm with the liscense but not the ammo without the import cert.[From the DOJ today as per my post]
    Which goes against the Firearms Act, unless you mean import as in coming back into the country after a competition abroad, in which case the licence and EU pass are all you need. (And I'm not even sure if you need the EU pass coming back, I know I've never been asked for mine). Which is why I think there could be confusion over the question. When I asked, I spelt out the scenario for them (ie., Pistol on an FAC in N.Ireland, licence granted by Gardai down here, can you cross the border without an importation order? Answer was positively not, and you'll be prosecuted if you try and are caught).
    you are implying that if you have the lic and apply to DOj they will issue the import cert at once?Has this been put to the test?What is the turnaround time? if it is within a 14 day period,brilliant!
    That's how it normally works, though for me, I didn't even need the licence (it was being processed by the Gardai at the time, and the rifles were meant to be delivered to the college, which is a licenced firearms dealer). However, with the amendments on the way in, it seems everything is in chaos right now.
    Now we are getting conflicting reports from us here and DOJ?
    We're getting conflicting reports on here about what we've been told by the DoJ - as opposed to us here giving different advice to that given by the DoJ. Just so we're clear, you understand!
    I am beginning to wonder does DOJ really want to push this import cert on gundealers and importers?The quickest way to clear this up is ring Dec again and ask the same question[and record the conversation?? and ask for this in writing]or ask for his superior for the exact current policy.Surely Dec cant be the only one in DOJ handling this??? And if he is... well then he has to KNOW the current policy and procedure.
    I wouldn't go recording the conversation without telling him - if you want something that will stand up in court, get it on paper.
    I got the impression he is one man handling a mass of paperwork,and that they want to cut this down by any means possible.
    Indeed. And since he's been asked to make decisions about policy that hasn't yet been presented to the Dail, it's no surprise things are how they are.
    Downloaded the form.There is no mention of pistols on it.and it states quite clearly onit Applications must be recived two weeks before date of importation. So i would ASSume that means you should have a decision within 14 days.Maybe in an alternative dimension Ireland. :rolleyes:
    Well, I got my rifles' importation order in less than 24 hours the last time. Rang them up, told them I wanted to import a .22 and an air rifle, they faxed me the form, I filled it out and faxed it back, and then called back, was told the cert was ready and they posted it out. Got it the next day.
    Mind you, that was at a quiet time of year, for an established procedure - pistols are new to the firearms unit and the legislation is in a state of flux. Anyone expecting anything other than chaos in that situation probably hasn't had much contact with the civil service before now :D

civdef wrote:
    The law is clear, you need to get an import cert to import a firearm into the state. The import licence is pretty much automatic once you have a licence. Where's the confusion?

This seems to be what everyone is saying.
    The confusion is that DoJ info contradicts itself occasionally. I received an Import licence for a shotgun last year,this licence allowed me to collect the gun from the NI dealer and bring it with me to a dealer in the South WITHOUT having a licence for it at the time. I was confused with the statement accompanying the Import licence stating that I could bring the gun into the State. I checked with my Firearms guy and he confirmed that it was legal to do so and was common practice. This meant I travelled about 190 miles withan unlicensed firearm in my car quite legally and as I had a licence for another shotgun could have had a car load of cartridges. Also once you have a licence for the firearm issued by EITHER the Minister or a Garda Super you are covered,it is not written anywhere that you need both to bring a weapon into Ireland,unless Sparks knows different. I have checked this very recently and will try to find it on the 'net. Currently I am awaiting an Import licence for a rifle,wonder if that will arrive to my door with the Postman? I will keep you posted as it should arrive shortly.

Anyone know of a firearms dealer in NI with pistols in stock who would be willing to export?

On the other matter,
    A firearms certificate does not cover you to import a firearm into the state. This requires an import licence. It's as simple as that.

As you gouda states, the import licence can be obtained without a firearms certificate, but only covers importing the firearm to a dealer, ie if you are the one transporting it onto the country, it covers you from entering the country to delivering it to a licenced dealer. It's a lot easier for a non-dealer to get an import cert if they already have a firearm certificate for the weapon in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

No Problem ,can put you in contact with one of the best!!!, all pistols avail!

Right, next update in the continuing saga.

Heard today that the Dept have been refusing to grant import certs to dealers, even in cases where a firearms certificate had been granted to the customer. The advice from dealers now is not to bother getting serial numbers and applying for a certificate, until the import situation has been clarified.

Not sure where this leaves things, but it certainly is less optimistic than my previous update :).

civdef wrote:
    Right, next update in the continuing saga.

Heard today that the Dept have been refusing to grant import certs to dealers, even in cases where a firearms certificate had been granted to the customer. The advice from dealers now is not to bother getting serial numbers and applying for a certificate, until the import situation has been clarified.

Not sure where this leaves things, but it certainly is less optimistic than my previous update :).
    No surprises there ,then. Any word on exactly what grounds were used to refuse the application? Or what the next step is on all of this?

From reading the Act, I'm not sure they even have to give grounds :(

It would seem the next step is to try to pursuade the Committee of the merits of our case when they're debating the amendments to the Firearms Acts. If those amendments don't ban the firearms in question, then the importation orders ought to start flowing again - the reason they're not right now seems to be the confusion over what those amendments might hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭les45

I rang Firearms section on Friday re import doc for my Beretta .22, I was informed that at present the Minister was reviewing the "large number of applications," and I was promised a phone call this week, I will keep you all posted.

Got a letter from the DoJ today on the amendments, but with no new data in it. Noted that the amendments being brought forward are apparently part of the overall review that's been ongoing since June 2000 but that they were brought forward "given a recent increase in violent crime involving firearms and the outcome of certain recent court cases". It also confirmed that further amendments past the secure storage one will be brought forward, and said that the representations made by the NTSA and those who sent in responses to the call for submissions on the amendments will be taken in to account.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Renegade_Archer

Sparks wrote:
    Got a letter from the DoJ today on the amendments, but with no new data in it. Noted that the amendments being brought forward are apparently part of the overall review that's been ongoing since June 2000 but that they were brought forward "given a recent increase in violent crime involving firearms and the outcome of certain recent court cases". It also confirmed that further amendments past the secure storage one will be brought forward, and said that the representations made by the NTSA and those who sent in responses to the call for submissions on the amendments will be taken in to account.

Aw man, that doesnt sound too good :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

No, it doesn't :(

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Gun Shy

Been reading the comments on these and various associated posts, I have to commend the balanced and informative views that I'm getting it's helping me a lot.
    Just a few points I want to mention as I feel that they are important whoever said in one of the posts "dont split the vote" hit the nail on the head a gun is a gun and all shooting sports have a lot to gain and also a lot to lose. Unity is the way forward.
    Secondly my quick guide to purchasing a pistol in Ireland its quite simple really and (it is tounge in cheek)
    I have to refer back to what was said "12 importation requests were received since July 4" an honest answer to an honest question but perhaps if they were asked which supplier has an importation licence already since before july 4 they might have a different answer.

Step 1 Find out what new handgun are the Gardai being issued with shortly.
    Step 2 Contact the maker and find out who their dealer is in Ireland
    Step 3 Knock on their door and ask to buy one.

Cant say if it will work or not and if it does then you'll be stuck with a TOTR 9mm.

One Dealer has been issued an Importation Licence it just depends who the end user is.

Personally would love to get back shooting and I have to admit Practical Pistol is taking my fancy but to be honest I Feel the delaying tactic is just a ruse to tie up the loose ends and in a few months we can all frame our handgun licences as keepsakes (so near and yet so far)

Hope I didnt overstep any marks

Gun Shy wrote:
    Step 1 Find out what new handgun are the Gardai being issued with shortly.
    Step 2 Contact the maker and find out who their dealer is in Ireland
    Step 3 Knock on their door and ask to buy one.

1. SigSauer 226 9mm in DAO
    2. Law Enforcement / Military dealer for Sauer in Ireland is a company called Butler Technologies.
    3. They dont sell to the public.

The Irish sporting firearms distributor for Sauer is Griffin Hawe Ltd. in Athy, they don't have any Sigs in stock, and I'm not sure if any have been ordered yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Gun Shy

Damn your good
    Top marks on all points.

Sig 226?? Damn!!! we must have money to burn for the SB or whomever we are arming up.lovely guns the SIGs, all of them, what I wouldnt give for a sIG semi auto rifle.But as expensive as Rolex watchs :eek:

Sig 226?? Damn!!! we must have money to burn for the SB or whomever we are arming up.lovely guns the SIGs, all of them, what I wouldnt give for a sIG semi auto rifle.But as expensive as Rolex watchs :eek:
    True, but they're exceptionally reliable - and since these guys may depend on the sidearm to save their life and they're getting in harm's way for the state, the state kindof has a duty to ensure the equipment is the best.

Still not on my list of things to buy mind :)
    I'm now fondly looking at an IZH-46M and an IZH-35 - perhaps not as beefy as some would want, but they'll do for me quite nicely :D Each to their own and all that!

True, but they're exceptionally reliable - and since these guys may depend on the sidearm to save their life and they're getting in harm's way for the state, the state kindof has a duty to ensure the equipment is the best.
    Hmmm. Murphys tenth law of combat doesnt apply here in Ireland then."Remember,your weapon has been made by the cheapest bidder, built by the most incompetant assembler."

Could understand the arguement if we were having gunfights morning ,noon and nite,ala downtown Bagdad.Where the stuff will be used almost daily....but here??Even the RUC/PSNI are still using 357 Ruger sixshooters.And They would have more chance of getting into a firefight then our lads.Unless our govt is not planning a reissue for at least another 40plus years on any new sidearms.
    It's not the gun,it is the person behind it.Proper training of the man is more important than weapon reliability.A proper trained high risk personel should be so fammiliar with the weapon as to it's faults as to be able to correct them in the field. Can name three DAOs that are just as reliable and significantly cheaper to the taxpayer than SIG.

This isnt a weapon designed for discreet undercover carry either.This is a big belt holster job.Or is this a case of because "elite" army rangers have it ,it has to be good.So we want it.
    Still,we end up paying for it anyway with our taxes.So long as we ,mere civillians can own and use one as well.I'm happy. ;)

This isnt a weapon designed for discreet undercover carry either.This is a big belt holster job.Or is this a case of because "elite" army rangers have it ,it has to be good.So we want it.

The DAO model will eventually replace the S&W's carried by detectives, so is for concealed carry - strange considering how big it is. The ERU and ARW have the standard model 226.

The Defence Forces also picked the 226 DAO as their replacement pistol, but the purchase was deferred for budgetary reasons, the unit price for this contract was quoted as €630 or something similar, which isn't a bad deal.

the unit price for this contract was quoted as €630 or something similar, which isn't a bad deal

That is the price per gun?Or is there a hundred thousand E to be tacked on there to the end?Wonder how many they are buying?That is a big brute to carry in a shoulder rig all day.Would have thought a 9mm compact or a 40S&W [Para ord P12 in SA in45acp is my choice for that kind of work] would be a better choice.I just find the SIG 226in 9mm and the Breatta m9 are just massive guns for the calibre and the ammo amount they hold [16 shots] .Yet the Glock 17 or 19 holds 17 shots in a neater package and the mags can be upgraded to plus 3.Holding all of 20 shots.Just my opinion

• Advertisement
Advertisement