Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo redesigns DS

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Cows With Guns

I was actually gonna point out in the sig, that its a piss take but i thought people would be smart enough to notice (its written all over it), rew proved me wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

It's too big and it makes reading threads annoying. Either shorten it, put it[size=1]in between these[/size] or I'll have to think of ways I can make it not seen in this forum. The easiest way would be to press the Ban this user button that I see below your posts but I'm trying to cut down on the Nazism since bubbles got banned. I miss him :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

I'd get a PSP, but I like originality in my games.
    the DS is looking slick. And The dual screen, imo, is a brilliant idea. Gives developers a chance to do something new. The reason I'd always pick nintendo over sony, is because they're always out there, trying something new. The only reason I own a ps2, is because unfortuntly, its the only way I could play FFX, and vice city at its release

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ohh god imangine buying a psp with that mighty big screen and then you scratch it :eek: :eek: that won't happen with the DS cos it's clamshell.

the gba:sp had 20hours playback so if the DS has half that i'd be happy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,864 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The dual screen won't affect the speed of games. It's got a separate processor for each screen. Also according to nintendo it has a battery life of 10 hours which was more than enough for the GBA.

I think the new design looks great but kinda liked the old prototype design that was shown at E3. Reminded me of the game and watch handhelds.

I'll be getting both a PSP and a DS. However I'm more excited about the DS. The PSP is going to be filled with lots of cheap PS2 ports. The DS gives developers lots of oppurtunity for innovation and i think its what the industry needs at the moment. Also the fact that nintendo games will be on it is enough for me to buy it.

The price shouldn't be scoffed at. At $140 its less than half the price of the reported PSP release price of $350-$400

Whatever happens, the handheld market is about to get very interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I was actually gonna point out in the sig, that its a piss take but i thought people would be smart enough to notice (its written all over it), rew proved me wrong.

Knew it was a piss take, but it want funny it was stupid lookin as I said. My reply was hardly serious aswell ;)

Knew it was a piss take, but it wasn't funny it was stupid lookin as I said. My reply was hardly serious aswell ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

Retr0gamer wrote:
    The dual screen won't affect the speed of games. It's got a separate processor for each screen.

haha, so its got 2 weak processors on 2 crappy screens, instead of 1 or 2 powerful processors committed to one speedy screen
    Retr0gamer wrote:
    The PSP is going to be filled with lots of cheap PS2 ports. The DS gives developers lots of oppurtunity for innovation and i think its what the industry needs at the moment.

another nintendo fanboy lol theyre nothing special, they spew the same crap as the rest, and im still to hear what exactly besides an "innovative" :p overview map that second screen is going to be used for

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

l3rian:

While the DS doesn't compare with the PSP in terms of raw power, it is fanciful to describe it as "weak". It's capable of running games like Super Mario 64, and even a stripped-down (but still very impressive) version of Metroid Prime. However, it also boasts quite an array of features that the PSP doesn't - and the success of the console will depend on how these are utilised.

The most obvious feature is the dual-screen layout. It remains to be seen if the majority of developers will use this extra screen as little more than an inventory/map screen, but the potential is there for it to be used for innovative products.

Then you've got the touch-screen. To me, this is the key feature of the DS. Looking at the success of the Eye-toy and dance mats, it's clear that intuitive controls can be key to mass-market crossover success. And what's more natural than using a pen, or your finger(ooh, matron)?

The implication of of the touch-screen are huge. Even if a developer has decided to utilise only one screen, they could very easily create a virtual joypad on the touch-screen, complete with pseudo analgoue sticks and whatever button layout is most intuitive for their game. They're not restricted by the four face buttons and the d-pad - and that's a feature that's bound to be welcomed by developers of left-field titles.

Then there's the microphone with voice-recognition software. And the wireless networking. It's as if Nintendo has designed a system to give developers as much room to experiment as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Ever actually tried a "virtual" d-pad?

They are quite simply, ****e.

No tactile sensation, no resistance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

I WANT! First thing next year I'm getting me one of those. Any mention of link-up capabilities with the gc or it's successor? But god that's gonna be a fun console! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

It's looking much nicer, less clunky too. Looking foward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

havent we seen this somewhere before??
    nintendo_ds.jpg
    gamewatch2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭deadduck

from IGN:

Konami Computer Entertainment Tokyo
    Castlevania
    Winning Eleven Series

looking good for the ds

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

deadduck wrote:
    from IGN:

Konami Computer Entertainment Tokyo
    Winning Eleven Series

looking good for the ds

id have to buy a ds for winning eleven alone .

Big Ears wrote:
    id have to buy a ds for winning eleven alone .

Goldeneys is the killer app on the DS, saw it on a list of games headed for release soon after the DS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Thraktor

Rew wrote:
    Goldeneys is the killer app on the DS, saw it on a list of games headed for release soon after the DS.

Nah, it's that ****e new game EA's makin' to sponge off of Goldeneye's success. The original is stuck in too much of a licensing quagmire to ever see the light of day again.

Ah, also, if l3rian wants to see uses of the dual screens, have a look-see here:
    http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/513/513166p1.html
    and here:
    http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/513/513160p1.html
    and here:
    http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/513/513231p1.html
    and here:
    http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/513/513162p1.html
    and here:
    http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/516/516016p1.html
    and so on, not to mention the obvious potential uses in role-playing games, real-time strategy games, sports games, puzzle games, etc.

Thraktor wrote:
    Nah, it's that ****e new game EA's makin' to sponge off of Goldeneye's success. The original is stuck in too much of a licensing quagmire to ever see the light of day again.

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

I loved Goldeneye id nearly buy a N64 to play it again (yes I know emulators but they are **** and you dont have the rumble pack)

I hope they get their **** together and release a revamped verson.

Advertisement