Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo redesigns DS

Options
  • 28-07-2004 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

Ninty have redesigned the DS since its appearance at E3 - looks quite a lot more sexy and expensive now.
    Full story below, copied and pasted from http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/07/28/nintendo_ds_redesign/ :
    By Tony Smith
    Published Wednesday 28th July 2004 09:49 GMT
    Nintendo's DS handheld console will indeed be called the 'Nintendo DS' when it ships later this year, the Japanese company confirmed today.

It also revealed the unit's final design - a sleeker, more elegant look than the more old-style shape shown at the E3 show earlier this year.

At that time, Nintendo maintained that the DS name - simply standing for 'dual screen' - was just a codename, no more. But the name has stuck, and with World+Dog happy with and continuing to use the 'Nintendo DS' moniker, the console maker has decided to use it on the final version.

"Nintendo DS, originally chosen as the code name, has been selected as the official product name," it said today. "The Nintendo DS name evokes the idea of a portable system with dual screens, providing the rationale for the final name."

The Nintendo DS now...

nintendo_ds.jpg

... and at E3

nintendo_ds_1.jpg

The DS is set to ship in the US and Japan by the end of the year, with the console's European debut scheduled for Q1 2005. We have heard 4 and 11 November for the US and Japanese release dates, respectively.

Sony's rival handheld, the PlayStation Portable (PSP), is set to appear in Japan in Q4 2004, and North America and Europe in Q1 2005.

Nintendo has already said the handheld will be powered by twin ARM-based processors running at 67MHz and 33MHz, respectively. It will contain 128MB of RAM. The two displays - the lower of which is touch-sensitive - operate at 256 x 192, a little better than the GBA's 240 x 160 panel. The DS will possess decent 2D capabilities, but it also has a 3D graphics system which, the spec. claims, is capable of drawing 120,000 polygons per second, representing a fill-rate of 30 million pixels per second.

The unit will support wireless Internet access and multi-player gaming across an 802.11b WLAN. ®

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Aye, thought the original looked too plasticy and cheap. This looks teh sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

the new one looks well swish...

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The new design looks swish. It'll be a great console.... I'm looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

still looks crap

why split the power of the console between 2 screens?

and how many games are so badly in need of an extra screen to display the overview map?

Originally posted by l3rian
    still looks crap

why split the power of the console between 2 screens?

and how many games are so badly in need of an extra screen to display the overview map?
    i dont think its existing games ported over the extra screen would be used for, its more to encourage new types of games. be innovative etc...

• Advertisement

i dont think its existing games ported over the extra screen would be used for, its more to encourage new types of games. be innovative etc...

innovation :D like what exactly?

like that amazing extra screen on the dreamcast controller?

anything that the extra screen will display, could of been displayed on a much bigger faster single screen

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Ah don't be such a f**king spoilsport. :)

Fair play to N for trying something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

thank god for that. the old design look crap imo. this one looks better but it could be better. black would be slick. but it still doesnt say the word 'NINTENDO' anywhere on it.

but saying that... it doesnt look too 'real. looks like its CG or somethin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

looks good! I'd still like an analogue stick instead of a d-pad tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

I like the old look, kind of like the nes controllers. But I'm not gonna complain about the change. An analogue wouldn't work all that well I think, more than likely it would be made more clunky to accomodate it, wouldn't fold over so nicely.

And about the second screen....if someone gave you a dual display pc would you complain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

looks sweet now, dunno why its all squarey tho, not very ergonomic. although i guess the old dual screen Zelda and Bombsweeper werent too difficult to play (anyone else have any of the ancient dual screen LCD games? i know there was Donkey Kong and the Mario And Luigi cake one but what else?)

id just be so afraid of the ribbon cable at the joint getting broken tho.... mechanical parts make it much more likely to have problems with breaking

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Originally posted by nesthead
    (anyone else have any of the ancient dual screen LCD games? i know there was Donkey Kong and the Mario And Luigi cake one but what else?)

id just be so afraid of the ribbon cable at the joint getting broken tho.... mechanical parts make it much more likely to have problems with breaking

Yeah I have Zelda its was great but bloody hard to get all the Triforce.

Ribbon cable dosn't break in the SP so no reson why it will in the DS

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

i wouldn't worry about that - look at all those clamshell mobile phones with the same feature, laptop screens, etc.

i actually think it looks like the old game and watch things.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i'm sure sony are sitting back with giant cigars feeling very secure right now as they play their PSP's.

that would be rather cocky of them. no one has been able knock nintendo off the top of hanheld gaming. not even segas game grear which imo was miles better than the game boy technically but it just couldnt take the heat,.

Originally posted by evad_lhorg
    that would be rather cocky of them. no one has been able knock nintendo off the top of hanheld gaming. not even segas game grear which imo was miles better than the game boy technically but it just couldnt take the heat,.
    but at the same time sony came out of nowhere and took over the home console market. its going to be an interesting battle, one i hope nintendo win. they seem to always be the first with 'crazy' ideas and innovation...

I really hope nintendo win because if they dont theyre screwed. no handheld market to run which means they wont win anyhting. theyll end up like sega. unfortunately. cause I love nintendo and own all the consoles and would never dream of buying another over nintendos cause they have the games i want to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Originally posted by evad_lhorg
    thank god for that. the old design look crap imo. this one looks better but it could be better. black would be slick. but it still doesnt say the word 'NINTENDO' anywhere on it.

but saying that... it doesnt look too 'real. looks like its CG or somethin.

interesting that it doesn't say nintendo on it anywhere but maybe on the outter casing which isn't on show on the picture.

i love the feature of the dual screen totally.

the two screens seem to look bigger in the picture but i don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

just saw this

vortal_pic_127795.jpg

• Advertisement

SLLIIIIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCKKKKKK!!!!!!!!

but still it doesnt say DS anywhere either

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

*teh droolage*

Will be importing this one in November. Really hope they dont put region restrictions on it. Possibly on the 11b channels it can use. Better have a dual voltage adapter, everybody else has em for everyother device.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Very slick design, me likey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

wow, they changed it to a crapper PSP with a clamshell and second screen ! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Cows With Guns

i love the feature of the dual screen totally.

Couldn't agree more, cutting the batterys play time in half for a ****ing radar is an ace idea! (yes i know it has other functions but i bet they're just as stupid :[).

wow, they changed it to a crapper PSP with a clamshell and second screen ! :rolleyes:

finally someone else with some sense :D

its a piece of crap, just like this gameboy advance i bought and never played after being completely unable to see the screen
    Couldn't agree more, cutting the batterys play time in half for a ****ing radar is an ace idea! (yes i know it has other functions but i bet they're just as stupid :[).

not just a ****ing radar Cows With Guns, a ****ing "INNOVATIVE" radar lol, so expect something worth the half speed games, and half the battery life :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Originally posted by Cows With Guns
    AMD 64 3400 Clawhammer 2.2Ghz @ 2.45Ghz 245x10 1.65v | MSI K8N Neo Platinum (nforce 3 250GB) Bios 1.2 | Asus 9800xt 256MB @ 412/730 @ 470/760 | 1024MB OCZ EB PC 3700 Platinum Limited Edition (466 Mhz) DDR RAM @ 490Mhz 3.0-2-3-8| 2x Western Digital Sata Raptor 74Gb 10,000rpm Raid 0 | Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS 7.1 | Zalman Theatre 6 Surround Sound Multi-media Headphones & Zalman ZM-MIC1 Microphone | Samsung SyncMaster 957p 19" Monitor | Thermaltake Xaser III V1000A case |Zalman CNPS 7000A cu heatskin/fan | Thermaltake Butterfly 480W PSU | 5 Brothers | 2 Sisters | 2 Parents | Five bedrooms | Two bathrooms | 1 bicycle | 1 Adidas Football | 8 Pairs of jeans | 14 Pairs of Tracksuit bottoms | 2 pairs of runners | 1 pair of shoes | 1 Volvo estate | 450 Mp3s | 2 Pillows | 1 Quilt | 1 Sony 21" Television | 1 Sony HIFI | 4 peice sitting room suite | 1 bottle of miracle aftershave | 14 close friends | 36 Glasses | 15 Mugs | 22 Plates (china, assorted) | 20 Forks | 20 Spoons | 25 Knives | 1 box of kellogs cornflakes | 2 boxes of weetabix | one box of weetos | 2 watermelons | 1 bag of frozon peas | 1 novetly oversized tri colour pvc saint patricks day hammer | 1 pair of wellys | 6 assorted bedroom posters | 4 cans of white gloss paint | 2 paint brushes | 2 sacks of rooster potatoes | 11 pots | 2 Frying pans | 2 sets of spare shoelaces | 1 roll of toilet roll | 1 Supid "I don't get along with real people so i spend my money on a pc that i can use to make myself feel better on the internet" sig.

Secondary System : Coming Soon

Laptop : Targa Visionary 1300WS
    Mobile AMD Athlon 4 1600 Palomino 1.2Ghz 100x12 | FIC Socket A PT-2200(VIA ProSavage KN133) Bios 07.00T | 512MB (133mhz) SDRAM @ 3-3-3-6 | Onboard S3 Savage 4 Graphics 4x AGP | Toshiba MK3017GAP IDE 30Gb 4,200rpm 2MB | 14.1" TFT screen | Windows XP Pro (SP1) |

chek d spec m8

wow, that's the biggest sig I've ever seen...

• Advertisement

Originally posted by RobertFoster
    wow, that's the biggest sig I've ever seen...

Yup its impresivly stupid lookin.... What ever happend to proper netiquette and no more the 3 lines at 80 chars per line.

Kids these days :rolleyes:

Advertisement