Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying Ants plague Dublin!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

Haven't seen any yet - I used to be plagued by them (abroad) - the horrible ****ers would fly into my flat and shed their wings on the bathroom tiles - then crawl away -hope this isn't the same species we have here. Locally you could get Raid (pointless) or Baygon. Baygon was not approved by the FDA - which convinced me this was the toxic **** needed to kill the ****ers.

I've never looked but can we buy Baygon here?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

No matter how many you kill, there will always be more. They come out simultaneously all over the place, which in itself is an incredible thing, so there are too many to try and kill. A bit like King Canute and the tide.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Originally posted by FX Meister
    Yeah they only come out once a year, we have them in the path out the front of the house, they never come inside though. Its a pain in the ass walking in the gate for a day or two but I'm not going to kill them over it.

Now theres a decent chap.

Why would you kill them? They aren't doing any harm. They simply share the same habitat as we do. If they are no threat leave them be. I hope you all dodge snails on wet days too. I walk in the middle of the road to save the lil things.

Humans should be the species you should all be looking to kill. We are the worst thing to happen to Earth. Look at what we have done. The state of the place. The next time you are driving through an area with fields on either side and road a few miles ahead of you and behind you. Just imagine what the same area would be like without the road, without the cars.. Just you and a gal or something. Humans=boo

I never killed anything since I was about 12 - fishing seeing the poor bloody fish etc. What got the bloodlust going again was that I arrived for a new job on a Thursday (evening) didn't have to work on Friday - Had breakfast - left the breakfast cereal open on the counter - we do that here - well I used to - made a brief introduction in work which I was starting Monday - did some sightseeing - and went home about 16:00 - There was a seven lane highway of ants going to from the packet of breakfast cereal - my issue was not about how much they had eaten (25g tops).

I thus became a killer (again).

I have calmed down since returning - though the flying ants - Baygon could still be an option.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

there EVERYWHERE here in killiney,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

well be thankful you dont live in africa or india or wherever. we have it easy, at least we don't have to think about malaria everytime some creepy crawly bites us. anyway, i quite like ants, i'm getting a tattoo of one in late august.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Originally posted by munkeehaven
    anyway, i quite like ants, i'm getting a tattoo of one in late august.

:eek: man, that will be one ugly ass tattoo! ants are hideous looking things. Would you not get something cuter like a dragonfly or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

i'm getting a tattoo of one in late august

Do they look different in August too?

lol....aactually i have designed it myself, i'd scan the design but my scanner is phucked....tatt's dont cost more if they are your own design do they?

Humans should be the species you should all be looking to kill. We are the worst thing to happen to Earth. Look at what we have done. The state of the place. The next time you are driving through an area with fields on either side and road a few miles ahead of you and behind you. Just imagine what the same area would be like without the road, without the cars.. Just you and a gal or something. Humans=boo

Nature has a remedy for this - natural selection - if we are too stupid not to realise what is going on - we become extinct ourselves - the fact that we may (not by design) affect or even perpetrate extinction of a species is truly part of the process.

I'm sure during the -er Jurrassic period? (ok I saw jurassic park and I'm totally ignorant) T-Rex and Gigantosaurus(Jurrassic?) ate various species to extinction. (ok I'm not so sure - but will get plenty of flames - hopefully).

So don't feel guilty about being human - you'll be extinct in a matter of time anyhow.

Thank **** I'm not human! :-) Haven't got an oil change in ages though - Jaysus!

• Advertisement

i dont mind being human, but i wouldn't mind having wings.....

A prehensile tail would be nice too. (Would have been even more useful before the smoking ban (for smokers).

Also fidelity - Mental note - stop dating Irish Women.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Fcuk that as i write this two of those ants where crawling around on my kitchen floor now they are Dead ants dead ants....ok a little pun at the pink panther but they were big ants......only hope now is that they came in when door was open and not a nest anywhere in house...........EEEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

I remember something like this happening about a decade ago, the reason then was that trade winds had blown the feckers in to the country, they all died of the cold in a few hours, except the ones with sweaters on of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Shad0r

Once every four years for about two weeks in March where I live at the moment (Canadian Rockies) they get something that sounds like that but with moths.

Apparently there are so many of them everywhere that you can barely see or breath through an open mouth when your outside.

Some sort of natural cycle or something....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

I was in the Hospice in Harolds Cross yesterday and went outside for a drink with my granddad who was in there resting, when i looked at the ground in the garden there wee hundreds of these buggers everywhere, gits:confused:

i thought they hospice might get some sort of control over these as the paitents would not be relaxed with these insects all over the place.
    D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Can't say I've noticed any of them here in Limerick, prolly afraid they'll get stabbed :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Originally posted by BrookieD
    i thought they hospice might get some sort of control over these as the paitents would not be relaxed with these insects all over the place.
    D

Ha! Well it's not like the ants advertised their intentions in The Times for a week.

How would you go about controlling 1 million ants fly around? Big nets? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

apparently you can get a device that sends out a high pitched whistle that only ants and insects can hear.. its a bit like a dog whistle i.e. humans cant hear it as its outside our ears frequency...

Its a bit like kryptonite to ants and they hate it and dont come near the place...

I remember we had a few of these things at home for mice... never seen them again...

some of the devices have various frequencies for insects, rodents etc...

they dont get killed, your house doesnt get mobbed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Nippon is the answer. It's a poison, but what it does is it attracts the ants to come and collect it, from miles around, so wherever you put it will be swarming for a few hours. The ants collect it, take it back to the hive (or wherever ants gather) and it poisons the hive, and they all die and don't come back (for a good while anyway).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭cujimmy

Got them over here in Glasgow as well. Its the mating season for ants at the moment and can go on right through till Sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Randy gits, wish i went thorugh till next week let alone september:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

am i wrong in assuming that flying ants bite?

I was strimming grass on saturday and i accidently went through an ant hill and tons of flying ants came out...i assumed they bite so i legged it for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I hear they have teeth the size of a sharks... and sharp to... good thing you ran :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Originally posted by Third_Echelon
    apparently you can get a device that sends out a high pitched whistle that only ants and insects can hear.. its a bit like a dog whistle i.e. humans cant hear it as its outside our ears frequency...

Its a bit like kryptonite to ants and they hate it and dont come near the place...

I remember we had a few of these things at home for mice... never seen them again...

some of the devices have various frequencies for insects, rodents etc...

they dont get killed, your house doesnt get mobbed!!

A friend of mine can hear those machines. He came home one night and they had one on in the kitchen, and he fell on the ground and curled into a ball!!

I haven't seen any. My best mate was saying there was some out her back garden, and I was like, "flying ants" Yeah, right....whatever. :( lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Human slaves, in an insect nation!

Where did we all go wrong
    The insects used to be our brothers
    But along came pesticide
    And on that day our friendship died
    And pouring boiling water down ant's nests couldn't have helped
    We had betrayed the trust
    Of the bee and the locust
    Out there are some angry bugs
    Too many salted slugs
    When will the madness end?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Originally posted by Jesjes
    A friend of mine can hear those machines. He came home one night and they had one on in the kitchen, and he fell on the ground and curled into a ball!!

Is your friend a rodent or an ant?? :D

i must admit i am fascinated by ant's...when i was younger i used to try and collect a colony of ants and id put them in a glass jar in my room and watch them forage and do what they do. they seem so clever the way that they communicate with their antennae and carry dead ants back to their colonies...though i have never been able to get a queen, they are supposed to look mank, they have a real big bulbous sac at their behind where all the eggs come out. and they use greenflies as cows for their nectar!! how clever...

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mudflapgirl

Spent the afternoon in work with the windows closed and people screaming - drive home with car windows closed. Donnybrook, Dublin - infested most of the afternoon.
    Go home in fear of what I'll find since I live near a farm, discuss it with brother-in-law since he lives down the road from us (he'd been in Clondalkin all day - infested too) - get to my house - nothing - not a one tiny anty soul to be seen - most perplexed - Hacketstown, Carlow.
    Today - nada, not a sausage. people in work still freaking bout them yesterday and moaning about them coming back etc.

Why freak out? it used to happen a lot more in years gone by - hadn't seen it in a few years as it was. They're only ants - they have to procreate just like the rest of us (people, animals, whatever) don't know if they bite but I've been kinda itching since yesterday.....

• Advertisement

yeah they do bite, a few years ago i had a ton of them land on me and they were biting the hell out of me, they use formic acid, the same thing that makes nettles sting....

Advertisement