Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

brophy wrote:
    Is it possible for me to do this?????

One problem is that even if your mate can meet the requirements(remember he must be living and working in the UK for 12 months minimum and own the car there for 6 months minimum before bringing it back) he will also have to prove he is moving back permanently.

I know someone who attempted something similar. A quick phone call to his employer threw a major spanner in the works apparently. I don't think he got in trouble over it but he definately didn't get the car in vrt free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 cardude

Just to clrarify as I am going to the North tomorrow for a car - the dealer will normally send the V5C cert to Swansea and I get some sort of cert from them with which I can pay the vrt due??

In the unlikely event of getting the cert, can I go straight to my helpful vrt man and pay the amount there and then???

Also, is the online indicator usually correct? I cant get the exact model of the car I'm looking at but its pretty close (its called a Laguna SE as opossed to the Laguna RT Sport listed on the site).

Thanks for the help,

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Robertr

I've had this problem a few times where the seller of the car thinks that they have to send the V5 to the DVLA. This is not true. The DVLA will just send it back to you saying that they cannot process it for poeple living outside the UK. Also, it will delay you for a few weeks in registering your car as you need this. Since you are required to register within 24 hours of bringing it into the country you would have to keep the car off the road until you get it.

Not sure about the site. There are so many options you really have to make sure that you have selected everything correctly. If you still can't find it then give them a call. It will be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

How useful is the VRT Online Enquiry checker (https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showVRT) anyhow? It shows VW Beetles as worth somewhat less than they tend to get 2nd hand, which is of course a good thing. Do the VRO use the same baseline values as the online system?

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

yes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

How do you all manage insurance for the drive back to Ireland? Will your Irish insurance company transfer your policy over for the temporary change of car until you get it back to Ireland and re registered?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

yes.

these are easy. next! :)

quarryman wrote:
    yes.

these are easy. next! :)

That's great, I think I will be heading over in the next few months to get myself a nice bargain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Soupi

this thread is by far the most helpful i've ever read. i drive a 94 honda civic at the moment and will be going over to england within the next 3-4 weeks to get a 01-02 civic and all the questions i had (i think) have been answered.

i'll post up any questons i think of, thanks lads :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Just following up with a link that someone else had posted elsewhere on the board.

I think I'm gonna give these guys a browse at some stage:

www.cargiant.co.uk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 hit_the_decK

im thinking of bringing in a comercial vechicle.
    id like to know if anyone has experience of this. what to look for .
    willing to spend 5k stg..approx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

Guys, this is some thread - well done to yous. Now i have a fairly bothersom query for someone to have a crack at if at all possible. Unfortunately the details are hard and fast and i dont have a lot of room for manouever with it so here goes.

Im moving to Dub in Feb. I have a car, still under finance - but intend to hand it back at the half way stage in 12 months time (you can do this in Scottish Law...termination of agreement).
    I cannot change the plates, and technically am not supposed to take the far outside the UK (but wholl know eh?). Does anyone know what i need to do to bring my car over for the 12 months?

- I cant change the plates - so how do i pay road tax?
    - Will anyone insure me from Dublin with UK plates and still registered in UK?
    - Who?

Thanks guys! If yous could help id be completely flabbergasted. Ive been hitting walls with this one for weeks now, i think all i need is someone to insure me.

Ed

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

odonnell wrote:
    Im moving to Dub in Feb. I have a car, still under finance - but intend to hand it back at the half way stage in 12 months time (you can do this in Scottish Law...termination of agreement). Ed

wouldn't you be better to take it in VRT free, and sell it after 12 months, pay back the finance co. and pocket the profit?

Irish Insurance companies should allow you to insure non-irish registrations - I and my brothers have sucessfully insured northern registered cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 5leander5

Hi,

Quick question. On the ferry trip from UK to Ireland, if you book online, does the ferry company stamp your printout or give you some type of confirmation docket? If I book online, can I use this printed confirmation number to give to the VRO as proof of vehicle entry? I am importing a used car. I have driven from Ireland to UK before using an online confirmation number, and I never received any ticket or docket. I am wondering if things are diferent if you are coming the other way?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭synchro

I'm wondering which is it, is it the irish book value or the price I paid for in the Uk before or after VAT?
    THANKS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭HotRodDub

The Irish book price unfortunately, so if you picked up a car outside the country for a bargain, the VRT will be the same as if you bought the car for twice the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭sprite0

Just thought Id let you know how I have had almost free motoring for the last few years. Last February I bought a Ford Mondeo Zetec TDci (130bhp) in the UK. Car was 6 months old with 10.5k on clock. Also had 2 1/2 years warranty remaining which is valid in Ireland. Cost at the time was 15200 Euro. VRT cost me a further 6800 Euro. Total cost was 22000 Euro. The car is still worth close to 22000. Have been offered 24000 on trade in. I sell every year for roughly the same amount as I paid originally. There are numerous reputable car supermarkets in the UK and most of them are used to dealing with Irish buyers. The best bargaing are the popular fleet cars e.g. Mondeo or Vectra but you can make savings on lots of others. Workmate has just picked up a 02 Reg Merc C200 Kompressor A/T Elegance with all the extras for 22500 Euro including VRT.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 vodka-babe

Hi there

I have a question if someone can help me.

I am a UK resident and I am moving to Ireland Permanently thanks to an Irish man !!!. I had a quick read through all the threads and somewhere someone mentioned that if you are a resident of the UK for more then 10 years then you don't have to pay VRT on Cars is this true ??

The thing is I’ve just bought a second hand car 3 months ago here in the UK but I’m planning on moving over to Ireland next month.

Because the car is registered for less then 6 months with me here will I have to pay VRT or does the fact that I’m a full UK resident for more then 10 years over-ride this !! Or can I come over on a 3 month holiday :) and then register the car to get away with paying the VRT . I take it that being a UK resident means they won't look into it as much Will they ??

Also if I’m buying a another second hand car in a few years . Will I also get away with paying VRT . Due to the fact I’ll have a UK bank account and a UK address. Or do I lose all these advantages as soon as I register to work in Ireland and/or transfer my licence to an Irish one (infact do I need to do this or is the UK licence good enough)

Any help is appreciated as it's all a bit confusing to me :o

Thanks alot

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Another 2 questions,

I live in the UK and have a car I'm planning to bring over when I move to Dublin in May or June. I've owned it over 6mths, but at this moment in time it is not registered in my name (*Registered keeper is not necessarily the legal owner - as the thing says on the V5C). Would the Revenue be hell bent on charging me €50 VRT (classic car) or would a separate receipt indicating that I OWNED the car over six months suffice? (Or should I just get the name changed pronto and postpone bringing it in for 6 months?, €50 is a lot of money for a tightwad like me)

I also have a Reliant 3 wheeler. Is it a car, or a motorbike, or a tricycle as far as the tax and insurance goes? Or would it be just a complete nightmare to import?

Cheers,
    Rich

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

SpriteO - Where did you buy would you mind me asking? Seems like an excellent price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭sprite0

Bought current car from hiltongarage.co.uk. The always have a good selection and all there cars are genuine. Cargiant.co.uk is also worth a try

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Moanin

I imported an A4 last weekend and want to get a 'D' plate(I live in another county but apparently a 'D' plate is better for resale?).I have an address in Dublin but when i apply for motor tax the insurance cert is in my home address.Will this make a difference?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Moanin wrote:
    I imported an A4 last weekend and want to get a 'D' plate(I live in another county but apparently a 'D' plate is better for resale?).I have an address in Dublin but when i apply for motor tax the insurance cert is in my home address.Will this make a difference?

Thanks

Nope it should be fine. Could never fathom why but some Dublin people are weird about having a 'D' plate...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I'd say it has a lot to do with the perception of the state of country roads and bohereens. A bit harder on the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

My insurance was registered to a different address but I wasn't even asked for it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Sprite0- That for that lad, I will have a look

Moanin - Where did you purchase, did you get a good deal do you think and worth your while, any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Moanin

Yop

I think I got a great deal.I purchased a 2004 1.9TDI SE A4 100bhp with 57k miles from a main dealer in Gloucester www.parklands.audi.co.uk.Some people say its high miles but I'm not afriad of buying a high milleage car one it is well maintained and a full service history.
    I initially saw the car on allaprovedcars.com and phoned the dealer and paid a booking deposit of stg 1,000.The car cost stg 12,995 but I got him down to stg 12,350.

The car is totally genuine with full audi service history, one fleet owner with all motorway driving.It is immaculate in condition and still has that new smell about it.Its dolphin grey and has plenty of extras.I flew over last saturday to Bristol, got a train to Gloucester and got the ferry back the next day.

The service of the dealer was unbelievable.They actually showed interest in me not like going to a salesroom here where you are whisked in and out in a couple of minutes.I must have been in this place for at least one hour.The salesman went through everthing from interior operations and went through the whole user manual with me.

I'm going to register it on Friday and get the new plates.All in the car will cost me arount €25,500.The cheapest 2004 model I could find was €28k.Not alone are you saving money but at the end of the day you get a better kept car.

I was also at cargiant in London at Christmas time.I didnt go there especially but happened to be in London visiting friends and took a spin to cargiant.Its some place and so well organised.These guys also have good stock and very good prices.

PM me if you are interested in getting in contact with Parklands Audi.I have a good contact person there

Best of luck

Jaysus that is a great price lad, I would be looking at maybe the 130 TDI. I don't know about a 04 though, might stick to the 02 or 03. Send me on that contact alright please.

I also looked at www.olivercoreygarages.com but I think the mainland is cheaper

What are the big car supermarkets in the UK like for haggling, is there much movement on the window prices if you have nothing to trade in against the car?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 UpsideDown

Hi all. Just a quick question if anyonecould help. How, when you are seaching on autotrader.co.uk can you search the cars if you don't know the post codes. I am thinking of importing a car but not sure where to look... areas ect

thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement