Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

magpie wrote:
    9) Flog your newly legal convertible and retire on the proceeds

:D
    Can't do that for 12 months!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

No question of floggin'it...it's family :o;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 MustangCobra

I brought in a 1988 Mustang from the UK,
    but when I ring the custom people,
    they tell me to ring back.
    I presume they don't know what the value is?

No, I'd imagine it's because they don't have a statistical code for it yet (if it's a one-off in the Republic). Don't bother with customs, do the VRO (VRT) thing first.

Went down to the NCT yesterday to try & see what I need 2 do re. Tax & NCT, since the VRO didn't tell me squat or hasn't forwarded any docs yet (plus, as I was getting antsy re. Mike65's post about checkpoints everywhere and I don't want to put IE plates on if I can't put the Insurance/NCT/Tax stickers out front at the same time - but 3-days rules re. plates).

Guess what? The MX-5 was still not 'in the system' - so I can't pay Road Tax because I don't have a NCT 'PIN' and the Maz' VIN isn't 'in the system', and I could have been waiting weeks, for all I know, before getting my NCT notice.

Done and sorted (hopefully), had the NCT guys manually put the car in with details from the RF100, so should be legit by end of week.

In other words: take the initiative all the way, else it's gonna take you weeks before driving your 'Tang about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Ruatha

Hi Folks,

Sorry to change the topic a bit, but I have a question about the registration number on my UK car.
    In the UK the DVLA (motoring authority) are selling old Irish plates as cheap, dateless, private registrations for UK drivers. An example would be BEZ 5180
    It just so happens that the car I bought last week (with the intention of importing to Ireland in the Summer) has one of these old Irish registration numbers.
    So my question is, will I be able to keep the number since it is actually an Irish one?
    I hope I can, it's nice to keep people guessing what year my car is :D

Thanks,

Ruatha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Ruatha wrote:
    In the UK the DVLA (motoring authority) are selling old Irish plates as cheap, dateless, private registrations for UK drivers. An example would be BEZ 5180
    So my question is, will I be able to keep the number since it is actually an Irish one?
    Thats a northern irish plate - the DVLA describe them as 'Irish' when they are anything but. You won't be able to keep this when you transfer it over.

'c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Ruatha

The cheeky gits!
    Oh well, a boring old plate it will be then :p

Cheers,

R.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Hi guys, need the benefit of your wisdom again.

I need to bring a car from London, to Dublin. Can anybody reccommend a collection or car delivery company to do this for me . as I am unable to collect it myself at the moment, and the car is a non runner, so needs to be transported.

If you have had a car delivered from England I would be interested in your advice.

Thanks

kadman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I want to buy an offroad scrambler from Wales , Rang the revenue to clarify and they told me that VRT was applicable even to offroad vehicles , I told em that there was no way it was going to be registered. Deaf Ears.
    unreal ,Vehicle registration tax for an unregistered vehicle.
    :mad:

Just bring it in, if its not gonna be registered, who needs to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Good point, I was worried that straight off the ferry they would nab me. I mean I don't mind paying for a road bike and have done so in the past, but that business about VRT on trail bikes is just......*lost for words*

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭JimmyL

I am thinking of importing a car which has a valuable private plate. Since, I am going to be re-register the car, can the UK plate still be used (in the UK of course)?

Be aware that the VRO will take your UK V5 off you, so insofar as the UK/DVLA are concerned, your car will no longer exist in the 'UK'.

If you have no choice but to re-register in IE, I'd sell the plate (and use proceeds to offset VRT :( )

Sell and transfer the plate BEFORE you import it otherwise you loose the plate.

Quick update on my VRT-free imported '98 MX-5: after an oil & filter change at the week-end, just plain sailed through her first NCT, nothing anywhere near tolerances - can you feel the pride radiating, here? :D

But query - I only got 1 year's worth of 'badge'? Is that because it's a VRT-free import? I thought NCT was good for 2 years :confused:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

NCT duration is based on the anniversary of the car not its NCT date

kbannon wrote:
    NCT duration is based on the anniversary of the car not its NCT date

Well, OK, maybe, but-but-but...

Car's 'birthday' (manufacture) is mid-February, IE registration was March'05, I've just done the NCT mid-April and the NCT badge is 03-06, sooo... :confused::confused:

Are you saying that the NCT is every year falling on anniversary of first registration?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

ambro25 wrote:
    Well, OK, maybe, but-but-but...

Car's 'birthday' (manufacture) is mid-February, IE registration was March'05, I've just done the NCT mid-April and the NCT badge is 03-06, sooo... :confused::confused:

Are you saying that the NCT is every year falling on anniversary of first registration?

First NCT falls due 4 years after the date of first registration and then every 2 years.
    So 4 years from '98 brings you to '02. 2 years from then to '04. 2 years from then to '06.

Looks like that's how it was done. Can you see the scam?

Tony

I see it so bright it's blinding :D ...
    ...Meurghs :mad:

Thank you very much for clarifying, though - most helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Could'nt see this posted in this thread, but you can escape import VRT if you get a letter from your employer saying that they asked you to move prior to the qualification period.

I moved over in 1997 when the qualy period was 6 months, but I'd only owned the car for three...letter from the employer saying they wanted me to start earlier solved my probs.....if you can get any employer letter (it wasn't checked), you should be sorted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭brophy

Right the folks dont know if you will be able to help me or not, anyway i am thinking of buying a NI commerical jeep something like a landcruiser and i am just wondering will i only have to pay the €50 on it as it is commerical or what way does it work?

thanks

Andip wrote:
    Could'nt see this posted in this thread, but you can escape import VRT if you get a letter from your employer saying that they asked you to move prior to the qualification period.

I moved over in 1997 when the qualy period was 6 months, but I'd only owned the car for three...letter from the employer saying they wanted me to start earlier solved my probs.....if you can get any employer letter (it wasn't checked), you should be sorted

You sure about that? Any source or confirmation of any kind? (I still have the Scoob' to take though the mill, but no luck re. 6 months grace period, so that would be a bit handy) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

brophy wrote:
    Right the folks dont know if you will be able to help me or not, anyway i am thinking of buying a NI commerical jeep something like a landcruiser and i am just wondering will i only have to pay the €50 on it as it is commerical or what way does it work?

thanks

There's a criteria on the size of the cargo space in the vehicle. Some jeeps don't qualify for the €50 VRT because the space is too small. Check with the VRT people

Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭dealgan

Hi,
    I'm considering buying from a private seller in the UK.

What is the done-thing about paying in Sterling .. Is a sterling draft from an irish bank normally accepted in UK ? Are there any charges to the seller, or do they get face value ?

The amount will be around 6k or so .. depending on my baragining skills !

Any advise welcome.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭useeme

dealgan wrote:
    Hi,
    I'm considering buying from a private seller in the UK.

What is the done-thing about paying in Sterling .. Is a sterling draft from an irish bank normally accepted in UK ? Are there any charges to the seller, or do they get face value ?

The amount will be around 6k or so .. depending on my baragining skills !

Any advise welcome.

Cheers.

I imported my car last november from the UK, I lodged the money here in my visa account and paid the vendor by credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭dealgan

I imported my car last november from the UK, I lodged the money here in my visa account and paid the vendor by credit card.

Good idea, but the seller is only a private individual .. wouldn't be able to take a credit card payment :(

Is cash frowned upon, as it could be counterfeit ?

Can you get a sterling draft from a UK bank in the north, without having an account there ?

Cheers.

dealgan wrote:
    Is cash frowned upon, as it could be counterfeit ?

If you're buying in the UK (as I understand it), cash will be absolutely fine - has always been for me. I bought my Mazda (from dealer) and my Impreza (from private seller) in cash, never a problem.

If the guy's dealing out of his backgarden, like any main dealer I'd expect him to have a "forgery detecting pen" thingy (these things are pennies). Come to think of it, even your average private seller would get one for that kind of cash anyhow...

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭kaizer_soze

Kilasser, keep the Yaris and sell it over here.
    If you owned the car for 6 months before moving to Ireland, you do not have to pay any VRT. Howver, you must hold onto the vehicle for one year before selling it and you can only do this once. I moved to Ireland from Scotland 5 years ago and brought my RAV 4 over with me. Once I had proved that I lived and owned it for more than 6 months abroad, I legitimately changed over to an Irish reg without paying any VRT. When I sold the car two years later, I sold it for only €1500 less than I paid for it originally.
    Contact Customs' VRT dept before you come over and they'll back this up.
    kilasser wrote:
    I have been living in the UK for past 10 years and have an '03 Toyota Yaris in the UK. Planing on going home to Ireland in a year or so would I be better selling the car in the UK and getting an other in Ireland? Is there different rates if you are moving form another country to Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Graz

Hello all, looking for some help/advice if possible.

Have been living/working in England for the last 2 1/2 years or so, but possible I will be returning to Ireland in mid-September. I realise I should have moved on the car front long before now, but what is the situation as far as buying in the UK now is concerned, and when questioned by the authorities here saying I was unaware at the time of purchase that I would be leaving so soon. I could still leave it registered in the UK for long enough to cover the minimum period before importing.

By the way, I am buying for personal use, and not to re-sell.

Many thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

you could possibly do it still, you would have to leave the car in the UK for safety sake and keep a bank account open, phone bill open and have a place of residence. You can then transfer your residence in 6 months (after a probationary period in your new job) and bring the car home.

Once you have the paperwork and you are using it for personal use and it isn't a new DB9 there shouldn't be any eyebrows raised

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement