Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

toby2111 wrote: »
    Cheers, just want to be sure I get everything I need. So I just need proof of sale and full V5 from car dealer? No other documents

ferry ticket to show date of import

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Isambard wrote: »
    ferry ticket to show date of import

OK, so I've to bring all them to NCT centre when paying vrt. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

OK, so I've to bring all them to NCT centre when paying vrt. Thanks

You need :
    Full V5
    VRTVPD2 Form, get it online before your apt
    Receipt
    Ferry doc
    Proof of ID
    Proof of pps(card, revenue document etc)
    Proof of address (bill or bank statement hard copy if you only have online ones bring a bill and bank statement)

michellie wrote: »
    You need :
    Full V5
    VRTVPD2 Form, get it online before your apt
    Receipt
    Ferry doc
    Proof of ID
    Proof of pps(card, revenue document etc)
    Proof of address (bill or bank statement hard copy if you only have online ones bring a bill and bank statement)

Brilliant, thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭lanno

Trying to get my head round the nox charge is there a simple way of getting price, seeing if it's worth bringing in 2015 Mini Cooper 1.5 D 116 Hatchback diesel, uk seller has said NOx Emissions - 0.059, but not sure if thats right.Any ideas were i can get price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭ricimaki

lanno wrote: »
    Trying to get my head round the nox charge is there a simple way of getting price, seeing if it's worth bringing in 2015 Mini Cooper 1.5 D 116 Hatchback diesel, uk seller has said NOx Emissions - 0.059, but not sure if thats right.Any ideas were i can get price

0.059 would be grams per km. The first 60 milligrams per km is charged at €5 per mg. So €295 total NOx charge.

I've a spreadsheet here to calculate it for you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭deezell

lanno wrote: »

First lookup the Nox of your car in this spreadsheet, if you can figure it out;
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/calculating-vrt/documents/NOx-Charge-Calculator.xlsm

Or here;
    http://www.emissionsfinder.com/
    Also tricky to use, there are many version of this car listed with different tyre sizes, but all seem to return Nox of 60mg or 0.06g, close to what you were quoted
    Get dealer to mail you picture of the v5c data.
    Nox charge is €5/mg up to 60mg, so €295 for 59mg.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Tabby McTat

Looking for some advice from the forum.

I am talking to a UK Mercedes Benz main dealer about purchasing an E class. The rub is that they need a UK address to pay the car tax and more importantly to post the V5C form to. They will not let me leave the garage with the full V5C.

They said I can use a friend's address and that other buyers from the Republic have done this previously. Does anybody here have experience with this? How long could I expect the form to be sent out?

Paying my VRT late isn't too bad - costs an extra €126 if I am 30 days or less late registering the car in Ireland, ie 60 days or less from when the car enters the country.

Are there any other red flags here. I'd be keen to purchase from a main dealer as the 1 year warranty they offer applies to Ireland also.

barrac wrote: »
    They will not let me leave the garage with the full V5C.
    Why won't they give you the full V5C?

Why won't they give you the full V5C?

MB UK policy apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

MB UK policy apparently.

Walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

pablo128 wrote: »
    Walk away.[/

yes walk away . You will be screwed if they renege on posting it to you. Tell them to read what it says on the V5C and on the DVLA website

• Registered Users Posts: 23,314 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ya I believe mercedes policy is not to sell to Irish resident and your dealer is just getting around that by offering to send to friends address.
    One of the haulage companies advertising on donedeal is now offering a service to get around this. Might be worth a look.

The dealer I bought from, taxed it on the spot in their name.

pablo128 wrote: »
    The dealer I bought from, taxed it on the spot in their name.

I believe you can tax using the code on the new keeper section of the v5 that you should have in your hand.

mickdw wrote: »
    Ya I believe mercedes policy is not to sell to Irish resident and your dealer is just getting around that by offering to send to friends address.
    One of the haulage companies advertising on donedeal is now offering a service to get around this. Might be worth a look.

I see that haulage company alright. I will give them a call tomorrow.

There is a strong incentive for me to buy from a UK main dealer rather than an independent. The car is 3 or 4 years old so I will take comfort from the warranty.

mickdw wrote: »
    I believe you can tax using the code on the new keeper section of the v5 that you should have in your hand.

Pay the VRT? Or the UK tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

I see that haulage company alright. I will give them a call tomorrow.

There is a strong incentive for me to buy from a UK main dealer rather than an independent. The car is 3 or 4 years old so I will take comfort from the warranty.

What warranty will Mercedes give u for 3-4 year old car and u sure they will honor it over here?

Pay the VRT? Or the UK tax?

Uk tax

LillySV wrote: »
    What warranty will Mercedes give u for 3-4 year old car and u sure they will honor it over here?

12 month warranty as part of the approved used programme - pan European warranty is what they told me. I have asked for more details and will verify with a MB dealer in the south. Otherwise get the car to a main dealer in the North.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭lanno

ricimaki wrote: »
    0.059 would be grams per km. The first 60 milligrams per km is charged at €5 per mg. So €295 total NOx charge.

I've a spreadsheet here to calculate it for you

Cheers, you would think revenue would have a simple way site to give a cost for both vrt & Nox

12 month warranty as part of the approved used programme - pan European warranty is what they told me. I have asked for more details and will verify with a MB dealer in the south. Otherwise get the car to a main dealer in the North.

I bought a Mercedes approved June 2016 c class last August from a main dealer, the manufacturer 2 plus 1 extended year original warranty had just expired, but it came with a Mercedes issued further 1 year extended warranty. The dealer said it was UK only, with some cover for travelling abroad. On this basis, the dealer discounted the trade cost of the warranty, £240. Online I could see this cost a lot more for a private individual to purchase, about £700.
    Despite this discount, all the warranty and policy information was later posted to me, on MB headed paper. The approved warranty is actually supplied by M B warranty services. This is just a trading name of AWP assistance UK ltd, a subsidiary of Allianz. The policy document clearly states cover driving abroad is confined to 60 days.
    A further separate policy letter I received for loss of keys required you to be a permanent UK resident. Even if the breakdown policy is valid, and they are OK with you not having a UK address, 60 days is only the first 2 months, and even then it states you must settle all bills abroad (outside the UK) yourself, and claim using the receipts.
    I'm not even sure if my policy is valid anyway, but I've not received a letter to tell me it was withdrawn after originally being issued. I'm treating it as worthless at the moment. Here's the UK phone no. of Allianz assistance/AWP, maybe ring them and ask what's what.
    0345 641 9778

This is the handbook I got, with a few minor differences in this online version.
    http://tools.mercedes-benz.co.uk/current/passenger-cars/e-brochures/warranty-handbook.pdf

deezell wrote: »
    I bought a Mercedes approved June 2016 c class last August from a main dealer, the manufacturer 2 plus 1 extended year original warranty had just expired, but it came with a Mercedes issued further 1 year extended warranty. The dealer said it was UK only, with some cover for travelling abroad. On this basis, the dealer discounted the trade cost of the warranty, £240. Online I could see this cost a lot more for a private individual to purchase, about £700.
    Despite this discount, all the warranty and policy information was later posted to me, on MB headed paper. The approved warranty is actually supplied by M B warranty services. This is just a trading name of AWP assistance UK ltd, a subsidiary of Allianz. The policy document clearly states cover driving abroad is confined to 60 days.
    A further separate policy letter I received for loss of keys required you to be a permanent UK resident. Even if the breakdown policy is valid, and they are OK with you not having a UK address, 60 days is only the first 2 months, and even then it states you must settle all bills abroad (outside the UK) yourself, and claim using the receipts.
    I'm not even sure if my policy is valid anyway, but I've not received a letter to tell me it was withdrawn after originally being issued. I'm treating it as worthless at the moment. Here's the UK phone no. of Allianz assistance/AWP, maybe ring them and ask what's what.
    0345 641 9778

This is the handbook I got, with a few minor differences in this online version.
    http://tools.mercedes-benz.co.uk/current/passenger-cars/e-brochures/warranty-handbook.pdf

Yea sounds like warranty is worthless here... wouldn’t inspire me to give more to a mb dealer for their car than standard dealer

LillySV wrote: »
    Yea sounds like warranty is worthless here... wouldn’t inspire me to give more to a mb dealer for their car than standard dealer

True, about €300+ will buy 12 months warranty here on most cars, covering all the big stuff, engine, gearbox, etc. If you can get a discount in lieu of a UK dealer's unusable warranty, go for it. This is one of many vendors;
    https://quote.carprotect.ie/

True, about €300+ will buy 12 months warranty here on most cars, covering all the big stuff, engine, gearbox, etc. If you can get a discount in lieu of a UK dealer's unusable warranty, go for it. This is one of many vendors;
    https://quote.carprotect.ie/

Was onto Bmw dealer and he said that they will cover one year warranty here, but not Northern Ireland which seems weird.

Lads I’m just wondering if anyone is aware of what will happen should Uk leave on 31st Jan ? Does it mean vat to be charged there on or have we a transition period of year where things stay as is until dec 2020 or so, therefore no rush on me buyin car?

( I have a feeling I’ll get better deal for second hand car in feb )

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Looking for some advice from the forum.

I am talking to a UK Mercedes Benz main dealer about purchasing an E class. The rub is that they need a UK address to pay the car tax and more importantly to post the V5C form to. They will not let me leave the garage with the full V5C.

They said I can use a friend's address and that other buyers from the Republic have done this previously. Does anybody here have experience with this? How long could I expect the form to be sent out?

Paying my VRT late isn't too bad - costs an extra €126 if I am 30 days or less late registering the car in Ireland, ie 60 days or less from when the car enters the country.

Are there any other red flags here. I'd be keen to purchase from a main dealer as the 1 year warranty they offer applies to Ireland also.

As for the V5c, I don't really see the problem if you do have a friends address other than the bit of hassle and delay. At least the dealer if giving you the option.

Cienciano wrote: »
    As for the V5c, I don't really see the problem if you do have a friends address other than the bit of hassle and delay. At least the dealer if giving you the option.
    If they dont know the rules and regs for selling for export, then what other misinformation will they give out. I'm beginning to suspect some salesmen even in premium brand mail dealers are dodgier than eastenders Phil.

If they dont know the rules and regs for selling for export, then what other misinformation will they give out. I'm beginning to suspect some salesmen even in premium brand mail dealers are dodgier than eastenders Phil.

Why on Earth would they turn down a sale? Surely even from a warranty perspective - if they sell a car for export, they're extremely unlikely to ever see they car again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 donnachag

Looking to buy an 11-14 Ford focus and import from the UK. Been looking at flippingcars.co.uk the past while and a lot of the cars have good mechanical reports from the bca. Prices on the site seem to have increased by about 20-30% in the past month. Is there any other sites like this (not ukcarimports) that offer a similar or better service or even a crowd in Ireland that will import for you cheaply?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement