Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Coley35

mgn wrote: »
    Not unusual,The just want to see that the account is active.Like the date of the last transaction.Just show them the top line of the statement,that will do them.

Ok, thanks for the information.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭geo88

This thread has been very informative to me!

I see that most people tend to already have a car and insurance and transfer their insurance to the Uk registered one in order to import it.

Any recommendations for people without any current insurance that they can transfer? Are there any particular Irish insurance companies that do not require an Irish reg number?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

geo88 wrote: »
    This thread has been very informative to me!

I see that most people tend to already have a car and insurance and transfer their insurance to the Uk registered one in order to import it.

Any recommendations for people without any current insurance that they can transfer? Are there any particular Irish insurance companies that do not require an Irish reg number?

I used Quote Devil who got me a policy with Axa for 300 less than direct from Axa.

They want the Irish number plate after 30 days from the start of the policy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭masit

If the UK leave the UK, I wonder what will happen to all the UK cars in Ireland when something goes wrong with them. On newer cars, will the warranty be nul and void here seen as the car came from a non EU country or will they just charge you to the hilt. Bringing it up to the north, they could say, sorry, car is no longer registered in the UK but a EU country so bye bye?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

what will happen is what happens now. If you bring a car to Ireland or another EU country you have to re-register it . If it has a warranty , that's between you and the warranty provider , whether the UK are in the EU or not won't change anything, it either will or will not still be valid , depending on the conditions attached

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

masit wrote: »
    If the UK leave the UK, I wonder what will happen to all the UK cars in Ireland when something goes wrong with them. On newer cars, will the warranty be nul and void here seen as the car came from a non EU country or will they just charge you to the hilt. Bringing it up to the north, they could say, sorry, car is no longer registered in the UK but a EU country so bye bye?

I don't see anything changing. If the existing warranty is covered throughout the EU then that will continue. If the existing warranty is only covered in the UK and NI then nothing will change there, you would still have to bring it to NI. Anything bought in the UK with no warranty here won't change either irrespective of what the UK do. The cars were still sold originally in the UK under EU regulations and guidelines at the time they were brand new.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Hello All,

2 things looking for help based on others experiences..

1st, Looking to go back to UK again to get a car.. Got an Audi A6 in March and looking now at new S-Max for wife. Seeing good choice but when looking at VRT calculator I can see cars OMSP seems to drop dramatically based on year rather than month. So basically a car can be OMSP of €35k whether Jan or Dec 2017 but I look at it for Dec 2016 it is maybe €30k.

If above is case then is there a big saving on VRT to be made by holding off till Jan - even if bringing car in over the holiday period and inspecting 1st Jan? AFAIK VRT goes 1% in Jan but that is offset by saving in reduction of OMSP.

2nd, can't find the exact model I am looking at in VRT calculator - the one I want is CO2 of 134 whereas closest on VRT calculator is 149 - hence a higher rate of 23% Vs 19%. I can only think the OMSP is going to be higher too as it would be based on a high original RRP price too as the new car VRT would have been 23%. My thinking therefore when they assess is that the OMSP is going to be lower and obviously the VRT too - would I be correct here?

Thanks for any help. Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Shox2711

Apologies if this has been asked already but can't find an answer when searching the thread.. do banks/credit unions ever give any hassle if you tell them the car you're buying is in the UK? And that the loan is to cover both the car and VRT etc

Another question. OP mentions not to buy privately. With a proper RAC/AA check done is it not just as safe as buying from the dealership? Or am I being a bit narrowminded?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Coley35

Shox2711 wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been asked already but can't find an answer when searching the thread.. do banks/credit unions ever give any hassle if you tell them the car you're buying is in the UK? And that the loan is to cover both the car and VRT etc

Another question. OP mentions not to buy privately. With a proper RAC/AA check done is it not just as safe as buying from the dealership? Or am I being a bit narrowminded?

Reference first question, last week I got onto Bank of Ireland looking at their Hire Purchase rate of 6.8% but as I was buying from the UK they wouldn't give me the loan as they said that they would be paying the garage direct, and would only deal with Irish garages. Had to get a personnal car loan from them at a rate of 7.5% but at least this way they didn't ask any questions about where I was purchasing the car from, applied online and funds were in my bank a/c within 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Most banks will insist on you buying from an Irish VAT registered garage when going the HP loan route.

• Advertisement

Hey,

Are there any good import services for used cars from the UK in Ireland?

Thanks,

Daspendy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Hello All,

1st, Looking to go back to UK again to get a car.. Got an Audi A6 in March and looking now at new S-Max for wife. Seeing good choice but when looking at VRT calculator I can see cars OMSP seems to drop dramatically based on year rather than month. So basically a car can be OMSP of €35k whether Jan or Dec 2017 but I look at it for Dec 2016 it is maybe €30k.

If above is case then is there a big saving on VRT to be made by holding off till Jan - even if bringing car in over the holiday period and inspecting 1st Jan? AFAIK VRT goes 1% in Jan but that is offset by saving in reduction of OMSP.

2nd, can't find the exact model I am looking at in VRT calculator - the one I want is CO2 of 134 whereas closest on VRT calculator is 149 - hence a higher rate of 23% Vs 19%. I can only think the OMSP is going to be higher too as it would be based on a high original RRP price too as the new car VRT would have been 23%. My thinking therefore when they assess is that the OMSP is going to be lower and obviously the VRT too - would I be correct here?

The UK Registration dates are 1st March to 31st August (the 1 before the number i.e 18) and 1st Sept to End of Feb (the 6 before the number i.e 68), I'm assuming they are basing the OMSP off the date/year the car is registered. Anything with a 18 plate will be older and one with 68 newer. There probably is saving to be made depending on when you buy as the car will have depreciated somewhat.

Could be completely talking out of my hoop, but I think that is what was said to me before

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Mc Love wrote: »
    The UK Registration dates are 1st March to 31st August (the 1 before the number i.e 18) and 1st Sept to End of Feb (the 6 before the number i.e 68), I'm assuming they are basing the OMSP off the date/year the car is registered. Anything with a 18 plate will be older and one with 68 newer. There probably is saving to be made depending on when you buy as the car will have depreciated somewhat.

Could be completely talking out of my hoop, but I think that is what was said to me before

Given that they actually ask you for the month of the year the car was registered when doing the RUS online guestimate.

You might be on to something

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bifl

Hello All,

I noticed that too when running vrt queries, the month didn't seem to make any difference.

Just back with a car and need to decide to I do before Christmas, good on the vrt before the 1% increase, but possibly lose out on the car value.

Speed some places work at I wonder how quickly new omsp car values will be updated for 2019. If I went and took my chances in 2019 I suppose you could always keep and eye on the omsp and when it gets updates appeal?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,044 ✭✭✭✭Esel

bifl wrote: »
    Speed some places work at I wonder how quickly new omsp car values will be updated for 2019. If I went and took my chances in 2019 I suppose you could always keep and eye on the omsp and when it gets updates appeal?
    I think you may have to appeal within a specified period though, so check that aspect out.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭banana_bear

Hi there,

I've been going through this thread (which is invaluable, thanks!) and the revenue website and I think I've got all the information I'll need, except two bits.

I will import a pickup next spring from NI. I'm aiming for a newish (2015/2016) Volkswagen Amarok, 2.0l 180PS, double cab. According to the VRT calculator, all commercials are falling into category B with VRT calculated at 13.3%. But is this also true when I'm going to road tax and insure the car privately? Or will the car then be falling into category A (passenger vehicles) and VRT calculated based on emissions?

Another thing I'm not entirely sure about is VAT, although I think I have it down correctly (because any other way would just sound too good to be true). Am I correct to assume that for me as a private individual it comes down to this:
    a) I buy the car in NI including UK VAT. I am not viable for any VAT when registering it here in ROI (only for VRT), assuming the car isn't under a certain age and the 6k milage.
    b) I buy the car in NI excluding UK VAT (= with no VAT mentioned on the invoice). I will therefore be unable to document on the VRTVPD2 that I have already paid VAT in EU, and will be liable for VAT in ROI.

There is no way for a private individual of buying the car in NI excluding VAT, and then registering it in ROI without having to pay VAT, is there?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

yes I think that's the case, (you'll need to CVRT it before you can tax it.)

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭gaillimh

Hi.
    Just wondering if there are any of the payment options that are guaranteed to go through same day?
    I'm talking specifically about CurrencyFair, TransferMate, TransferWise and Revolut card.
    I've seen various reports online of where the funds may not come through until the next day to the dealers account.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

gaillimh wrote: »
    Hi.
    Just wondering if there are any of the payment options that are guaranteed to go through same day?
    I'm talking specifically about CurrencyFair, TransferMate, TransferWise and Revolut card.
    I've seen various reports online of where the funds may not come through until the next day to the dealers account.

Thanks

Transfermate has always worked same day for me. I dont have any connection to them BTW despite mentioning them a few times in this thread, I just believe in promoting a good service and they have always been flawless anytime I use them. Once you make the call to transfer funds before the cutoff time its there very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 aidyhawse

One final question for those who have recently went through the VRT process. Since the current fee for exchanging a valid MOT certificate for a NCT certificate is being waived, did you include a bank draft/postal order with the application form and MOT certificate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Amouar

aidyhawse wrote: »
    One final question for those who have recently went through the VRT process. Since the current fee for exchanging a valid MOT certificate for a NCT certificate is being waived, did you include a bank draft/postal order with the application form and MOT certificate.

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Samson1

aidyhawse wrote: »

About 3 weeks ago, I included a postal order with the application form and they returned it to me uncashed with the NCT/ Cert of Compliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kuro68k

Aye, they returned my postal order uncashed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

bifl wrote: »
    I noticed that too when running vrt queries, the month didn't seem to make any difference.

Just back with a car and need to decide to I do before Christmas, good on the vrt before the 1% increase, but possibly lose out on the car value.

At this rate I won't have car till Jan... hoping to have last bit of money pulled together in coming days so no point doing anything next week. Would think the OMSP thing is automated on the VRT site. Can't see them manually updating all the varying types and models of car.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kuro68k

I got my VRT refund yesterday. They were fairly quick about it. Main thing is you have to write to them specifically asking for it in a a letter, along with your documentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Samson1

kuro68k wrote: »
    I got my VRT refund yesterday. They were fairly quick about it. Main thing is you have to write to them specifically asking for it in a a letter, along with your documentation.

What was the VRT refund for, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,044 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Samson1 wrote: »
    What was the VRT refund for, please?
    A reduction on the amount of VRT charged, based on the evidence supplied by the applicant on appeal.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭jaytobe

Great thread, 2 questions for a BMW 2018 6k miles;

- It is a demo from a BMW main dealer. BMW local guy here checked it and stacks up. Is RCA check needed?

- I saw the OMSP might change by year (more so than month). Is the timing considered from when I buy it (planning 30 Dec) or when I present the car at NCT center?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭moby2101

jaytobe wrote: »
    Great thread, 2 questions for a BMW 2018 6k miles;

- It is a demo from a BMW main dealer. BMW local guy here checked it and stacks up. Is RCA check needed?

- I saw the OMSP might change by year (more so than month). Is the timing considered from when I buy it (planning 30 Dec) or when I present the car at NCT center?

Thanks.
    Hi
    I brought in a 6 month old BMW on 6th January this year.
    I had been tracking VRT prices for months, I paid pretty much the same as the Revenue site had been quoting In Nov/Dec 2017. Car had a load of extras I paid around 100 on top of what was being quoted in December.

Good luck with your purchase, what are you buying?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭jaytobe

Thanks Moby.

Getting a 520d Touring SE, staying away from the M sport cos I live in the sticks - no car within €8k of it here even with a VRT estimate of €7.7k

Btw, did you get an RCA check done regardless?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement