Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Revolut is an option people seem to have used. Much cheaper than the banks, but it might be a bit slower as you need to do multiple bank transfers.

I used Transfermate. It was almost instant. Good value too. Would recommend them.

p.s. I've no connection with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kuro68k

bazz26 wrote: »
    The motor tax system doesn't get updated at weekend, give it another 24 hours. Insurance database can take ages depending on the insurance company and how efficient they are. You could always do it the old fashion way and just ring them and give them the reg over the phone.

I'll try again tonight.

I put the reg and details in on QuoteMe.ie and it came back with one result at a ridiculous €850. On a 2009 car with 1.3L engine, worth about €1500. 9 years no claims in the UK.

They called me the next day and said best to wait until the car is on the system or I'll just get silly quotes like that for some reason.

Now the tax site is working but I can't tax it because I don't have Irish insurance, and the insurance comparison isn't working yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,179 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You don't need a valid insurance policy to tax it online. Just use an old policy number or someone else's. They don't have the ability to verify it and never had, it's just a stupid extra step they planned to implement years back but then discovered it would cost too much.

bazz26 wrote: »
    You don't need a valid insurance policy to tax it online. Just use an old policy number or someone else's. They don't have the ability to verify it and never had, it's just a stupid extra step they planned to implement years back but then discovered it would cost too much.

I'll try again tonight then. I don't have prior Irish insurance though so I'd have to borrow someone's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,568 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Choose random insurer and enter few random letters+digits, be grand. :D

joujoujou wrote: »
    Choose random insurer and enter few random letters+digits, be grand. :D

Seriously, in the UK they will come down hard on this stuff... In Ireland they seem quite relaxed. Like they want €15 for the registration but don't bother actually collecting it

It's very strange for someone coming from the UK where the police seem to have nothing better to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I think there are moves afoot to change the insurer database so it can be assessed roadside, maybe if its actually done directly with the Ins. companies not through the motortax website.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭normanbond

I used Transfermate. It was almost instant. Good value too. Would recommend them.

p.s. I've no connection with them.

How does transfermate work in simple terms ?

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

normanbond wrote: »
    How does transfermate work in simple terms ?

From what i remember:
    - create an account on their site
    - sign the form and send back (email)
    - go through any money laundering checks they may have (proof of address, proof of where the money came from, loan... etc)
    - lodge money to their account (if BOI, transfer to a BOI account of theirs, if AIB...similar)
    - Pick time you want to send the money to destination
    - Money gets sent (if destination is Ulster Bank, then it'll come from Transfermate's Ulster Bank account)

I think they said it would occur within 1 hour window of the time (but appears to be instant from my experience).
    Plus you can add your email and the destination email address for receipt

Found them extremely helpful, and a lot better than credit card / bank transfer.

• Advertisement

Great reply! Tnx

Yesterday the insurance sites started to recognize the registration number, but they won't give me actual quotes.

This can't be right, if you import a car how are you supposed to drive the bloody thing if takes weeks to get tax and insurance?

Do it the old fashion way, speak with someone on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

kuro68k wrote: »
    Yesterday the insurance sites started to recognize the registration number, but they won't give me actual quotes.

This can't be right, if you import a car how are you supposed to drive the bloody thing if takes weeks to get tax and insurance?

Can I ask what kind of car your bringing/brought in? I’ve brought a few unusual yokes in over the years and never once had an issue with getting them insured? In all cases they were able to use the UK reg to confirm make/model etc. But as mentioned already, your wasting your time trying to do it without ringing someone as the online systems are following a set of rules that speaking to an operator can override.

Can I ask what kind of car your bringing/brought in?

It's just a basic Mitsubishi Colt. Unmodified, nothing at all unusual. I think they sold them in Ireland, I've seen them on the road.

I got to the bottom of the problem. I applied to have the British MOT converted to an NCT, but apparently it's still pending and shows up on the database as the car being unroadworthy. So no one wants to insure it.

Guy from the AA suggested calling Aviva and Axa direct as they might be more flexible than the brokers.

I don't know how long it takes them to convert the MOT over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

https://www.gov.uk/topic/mot/get-check-mot

Check the MOT Status to see what is the problem.

mgn wrote: »
    https://www.gov.uk/topic/mot/get-check-mot

Check the MOT Status to see what is the problem.

There is no problem with the MOT, it's fine. The problem is that the Irish government is taking ages to accept my documentation and issue an NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DOD555

Hey all, I'm currently preparing a VRT appeal for the 2015 BMW 520d M-sport that I just imported from the UK (revenue value it at 27/28k but true value is 22/23k). As part of my appeal, I'm looking to include a valuation but I'm having trouble getting one. I rang a few BMW garages but once they hear import and i'm not planning to trade it in, they won't give me a quote. Anybody know any garages that will actually give me a valuation? I'm going to include 3 ads from done deal but I think a valuation from a car garage would help my case. Anybody know of anything else I should include to help my case? Thanks.

Where are you getting the "true value of 22k/23k" from if you cannot get a valuation from a dealer?

Edit: Nevermind, I see you said DD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

DOD555 wrote: »
    Hey all, I'm currently preparing a VRT appeal for the 2015 BMW 520d M-sport that I just imported from the UK (revenue value it at 27/28k but true value is 22/23k). As part of my appeal, I'm looking to include a valuation but I'm having trouble getting one. I rang a few BMW garages but once they hear import and i'm not planning to trade it in, they won't give me a quote. Anybody know any garages that will actually give me a valuation? I'm going to include 3 ads from done deal but I think a valuation from a car garage would help my case. Anybody know of anything else I should include to help my case? Thanks.

adverts from dealers on carzone or the like of similar spec?

• Advertisement

I don't think they take dealer asking prices as evidence of market value. In theory dealers could ask 500k for one but he ain't going to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Question please - I have my VRT appointment next week.

I expect the payment to me approx 3600 euro.

Can I pay on the day, at the VRT inspection centre?

Thanks

Yes you can or you can come back another day as long as it's within the 30 day rule but just remember they don't accept cash payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭contrary_devil

Hi all, I bought a car in Northern Ireland and I will be collecting it myself but I'm concerned about how I prove the date it enters the south or will the date of the invoice suffice for VRT purposes.

Date on the selling garage's invoice is sufficient for NI.

Hi all.
    I'm travelling to London next week to buy a car. Any advice or guidance in travelling to Holyhead to get ferry back to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,801 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Hi all.
    I'm travelling to London next week to buy a car. Any advice or guidance in travelling to Holyhead to get ferry back to Dublin.

Make sure to bring written proof that you have transferred insurance over to your new car. Last week I got pulled over by a policeman, on a motorbike, 10 miles from the Welsh border. He told me that I'd been flagged by some camera scanner as not having insurance. He was happy to let me proceed on my way when I explained that I had just bought the car, was driving to Holyhead and showed him the letter.

Apart from that give it plenty of time. The motorways in England can be quite clogged so it's difficult to make good time. I had to drive 270 miles from Bedford which is 10 miles longer than Cork to Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,801 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I have my NCT appointment next week. On the email that they sent me is:
    PLEASE PREPARE FOR YOUR VRT INSPECTION BY ENSURING THAT: please tick
    1. You bring your completed VTRVPD1 (Tan Holders) and Registration Declaration Forms Click here to download this form
    2. You bring your completed VRTVPD2 for Private vehicles Click here to download this form

Looking at the forms that are linked, the one in #1 appears to be for Commercial buyers (TAN holders) and the one in number #2 seems to be for people who bought cars that are going to end up being registered by someone else.

Is there a third form for private individuals who are going to register the car in their own name or do I just use one of the two above?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,327 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Hi all.

Give yourself plenty of time. It's a good spin from London to Hollyhead

• Advertisement

Hi all.

It's asked and answered a million times nearly in this thread, read back about 10 or 20 pages.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement