Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

traco wrote: »
    Don't know about being classed as a dealer or not but from my personal dealings with them and in my business dealings they are very very sharp so I wouldn't be surprised if it was being monitired for undeclared income irrespective of dealer or not. I thought I saw something recently about them monitoring facebook and social media for income streams.

Jaysus I knew they were sharp but what would they be looking for on social media?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭timmy4u2

Soarer wrote: »
    Asking price for my car a few weeks back with a main Toyota dealer was £7250. I rang them and told them I'd give them a deposit over the phone there and then if they could do it for £6000. Told him I didn't want a warranty and was taking it over to Ireland.
    He rang me back half and hour later dropping to £6800.
    Told him it was too expensive, that I was looking to buy before the weekend and was actively looking.
    He rang me back a few times over the following 24 hours asking for less and less each time, until he got to £6195 and said that was that. I gave him a £500 deposit over the phone and flew over that weekend. That was £1055 off the asking price.

So there's definitely haggle room. You're actually in a great position coming from Ireland as you can fly in to anywhere in the UK, so the whole market is open. The dealers also like the idea of the car flogging off never to be seen again!
    I think you were lucky.....or were you? Have a great look at the car.

There are very few dealers in the UK, especially those attached to main dealers who will haggle like that and those who are glad to get rid of a car at a greatly reduced price will usually have a reason.
    I hope you were lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

I have put a deposit on a car up the North and am collecting it Saturday.

What paperwork do I need to get of the dealer when picking up the car?

Obviously warranty, service history...

Is there some issue that they can't have over the registration cert?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Copy the relevant part of the DVLA website and tell them in advance you will need the V5C when you collect the car. You must have thi to re-register the car. Do not take no for an answer

corktina wrote: »
    Copy the relevant part of the DVLA website and tell them in advance you will need the V5C when you collect the car. You must have thi to re-register the car. Do not take no for an answer

So basically the relevant parts of the v5c are filled in and I take the original with me.

I then provide it when I go to the NCT centre?

Does the dealer need to send anything to the DVLA notifying them that the car has left the country?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They keep the other part of the V5 afaik and send it off to the DVLA stating the car is for export. Just make sure you get the V5C part as you need this when re-registering the car down here.

If they want to keep the export slip ,it's up to them to inform the DVLA(NI).... that's fine so long as you get the main part.

What to do if you are selling your vehicle privately to someone that does not have a GB address You should fill in sections 6 and 10 with the new keeper’s name and address. Both you and the new keeper (buyer) must sign and date the declaration in section 8. Give the whole V5C to the new keeper to aid registration abroad. You should then send a signed letter to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AG giving the vehicle’s registration number, the make and model of the vehicle, the date of sale or transfer, and the name and address of the new keeper. Once we know about the change of keeper, you should receive an acknowledgement letter to confirm that you are no longer responsible for the vehicle. If you do not receive the letter within 4 weeks, please phone 0300 790 6802. If you are deaf or hard of hearing and have access to a textphone, phone 0300 123 1279 (this number will not respond to ordinary phones

Link
    http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=what%20to%20do%20when%20selling%20a%20car%20for%20export&source=web&cd=9&ved=0CEwQFjAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.direct.gov.uk%2Fprod_consum_dg%2Fgroups%2Fdg_digitalassets%2F%40dg%2F%40en%2F%40motor%2Fdocuments%2Fdigitalasset%2Fdg_065264.pdf&ei=qM7fUoWmMO-V7Aavw4HgBA&usg=AFQjCNGJ3aI_-rXqHD7FB91exM1I9ooUxA
    djPSB wrote: »
    I have put a deposit on a car up the North and am collecting it Saturday.

What paperwork do I need to get of the dealer when picking up the car?

Obviously warranty, service history...

Is there some issue that they can't have over the registration cert?
    With the introduction of the new V5C the procedure has changed somewhat.

Have a look at the instructions from DVLA here

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

If you are unsure about the car you are buying and are not so motor-tech knowledgeable then you could always get an AA report! I did it the last time and it is so comprehensive it will literally blow your mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Zane97

If debit card isn't limited, what £ rate do you get charged at auction if paying in full

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Robbie G wrote: »
    If debit card isn't limited, what £ rate do you get charged at auction if paying in full

Your bank decides that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Can you get a car loan (as opposed to a personal loan) to buy an import - as in to import it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭traco

@Robbie G - very close to the interbank rate on teh day the transaction is posted by the bank - in other words it will be way better than anything you get from over the counter in the bank.

@testicle - You won't get a car loan for the UK as far as I know as the bank will want to deal directly with the garage and have a lien on the car as security hence the better rates. Personal loan is the only finance option that I know for the UK.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

testicle wrote: »
    Can you get a car loan (as opposed to a personal loan) to buy an import - as in to import it yourself?

With both my UK imports, an invoice was enough proof for me to get car loan rates no problem. That was with a credit union (the bank's car loan rates were crap). I'd say a bank would do the same though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

How long does it typically take for an exported vehicle record to appear on uk vehicle history reports? Is there any issue if the seller doesnt inform dvla?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Johnny Drama_11

Given the current market conditions what if any types of cars are worth considering importing, the cost of tax has seen a reduction in the price of larger engined cars (used) in Ireland which would mean there may not be value to be had, is there any marques/makes/models that would give rise to savings currently.

How long does it typically take for an exported vehicle record to appear on uk vehicle history reports? Is there any issue if the seller doesnt inform dvla?
    Assuming that my understanding of your query is correct
    (1)When a vehicle is exported from the UK it takes approx three weeks for the facts to recorded by DVLA.
    (2).Heretofore the seller filled out sec 11 of the V5 and sent it off to DVLA. Now the seller is required to send a letter to thecDVLA.

Also when Revenue was handlingvthe full process of importing they sent thecV5's backto DVLA but only did this as a batch in that they did it perhaps every two or three months

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Given the current market conditions what if any types of cars are worth considering importing, the cost of tax has seen a reduction in the price of larger engined cars (used) in Ireland which would mean there may not be value to be had, is there any marques/makes/models that would give rise to savings currently.

The way I look at it, the main advantages to importing these days is to buy a car that is in superior condition and with superior specification. I value those over actually trying to save money on the purchase price.

I have advised people if they are importing for resale that they could not go wrong with the Hyundai and the Kia range once they have a full service record.
    They are very reliable and the Hyundai has a five year unlimited mileage warranty while the Kia has a seven year 100, 000 mile warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 14 dubsmad

Hi lads, really good tread! Iv read through about 30 pages so my question is probably already answered somewhere in the 216 pages! (This is my first car buy)

I have sourced a new car in Northern Ireland(Kia Proceed), could someone be so kind as to outline the steps id have to go through?

1) Source a car and talk to dealer (private for me)- DONE
    2) Get AA check done on the car and await report- I presume I can fully trust the independent mechanic that does it??
    3) If check comes back ok then meet up with the guy, test drive the car, pay the money in bank draft/ small amount in cash...... What documents exactly do I need to obtain from him??
    4) Drive the car back down- Do I need to get insurance? If so, for how long? Is it expensive? Was hoping to wait to get annual tax/insurance for a week or two (until i'm due pay from work!)
    5) Book the car into a vrt within a couple of days (or can I technically wait more than that once I don't drive it and get stopped by gaurds)- What documents do I need exactly? Confused on this part! VRT for my car is 1430e
    6) Book car in for a NCT test once I have received my new reg/ car is registered on system- Should I get the car serviced/ checked again since the AA check would of been up the north?
    7) Pass the NCT and then pay my annual insurance/tax

Drive the car with VRT pain, tax/ insurance paid and NCT done

Thanks in advance , any help/advise/ clarification would be appreciated

• Advertisement

dubsmad wrote: »
    Hi lads, really good tread! Iv read through about 30 pages so my question is probably already answered somewhere in the 216 pages! (This is my first car buy)

I have sourced a new car in Northern Ireland(Kia Proceed), could someone be so kind as to outline the steps id have to go through?

2) Get AA check done on the car and await report- I presume I can fully trust the independent mechanic that does it??
    3) If check comes back ok then meet up with the guy, test drive the car, pay the money in bank draft/ small amount in cash...... What documents exactly do I need to obtain from him??
    4) Drive the car back down- Do I need to get insurance? If so, for how long? Is it expensive? Was hoping to wait to get annual tax/insurance for a week or two (until i'm due pay from work!)
    5) Book the car into a vrt within a couple of days (or can I technically wait more than that once I don't drive it and get stopped by gaurds)- What documents do I need exactly? Confused on this part! VRT for my car is 1430e
    6) Book car in for a NCT test once I have received my new reg/ car is registered on system- Should I get the car serviced/ checked again since the AA check would of been up the north?

Yes, they are all answered elsewhere:( anyway its a Friday night so
    (1) OK
    (2) I would look at the car first and if I liked it and agreed a price I would then get the AA to check it. (B) There are certain warranties following an AA inspection so you should be ok there.
    (3) Answered that already (b) many dealers are reluctant to accept bank drafts and release a car . Without the draft clearing. If the deal does not go through at the last minute you are left with reissuing the bank draft. Cash is king.
    You need to get the full left hand side of the V5-registration document. Get a receipt for full payment, written guarantee if given.
    Get a dated invoice showing the price of the car.

(4)No, have the car Hpi'd. It is very important to check its history and financial history, then drive it home.
    Temp insurance. It is available in the UK for a day or a week. I have never needed to get it so cannot answer nor do I know if you need to be a UK resident.
    (5) you have seven days to inform NCTS and thirty days from date of entering state to complete the VRT process.
    To save repetition if you click on my posts in this thread you will see the list of what you need from driving licence to pps number to proof of address. Remember €250 is the maximum amount of cash the NCTS office will handle so you will need a draft.
    It is not an offence to drive the car in the state while awaiting an NCTS inspection, assuming your insurance isvin order.

You do not need an NCT to tax the car. The plates have to be affixed within three days of clearing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

You can transfer your own insurance over to the car for a short period - you may have to pay extra. Also if possible get the previous owner (dealer/Private) to tax it for you as you could get stopped by the police

Mc Love wrote: »
    You can transfer your own insurance over to the car for a short period - you may have to pay extra. Also if possible get the previous owner (dealer/Private) to tax it for you as you could get stopped by the police

you can no longer do that safely. In the UK now they have "Continuous Insurance" which means the car must be itself insured or SORNd. If it isn't on their database (which an Irish policy wouldn't) it is likely to be seized if spotted by one of the 8000 ANPR cameras. They'll seize it first and ask questions later. Not worth the risk.
    I don't think you can take out short term UK insurance without a UK address.

timmy4u2 wrote: »
    Yes, they are all answered elsewhere:( anyway its a Friday night so
    (1) OK
    (2) I would look at the car first and if I liked it and agreed a price I would then get the AA to check it. (B) There are certain warranties following an AA inspection so you should be ok there.
    (3) Answered that already (b) many dealers are reluctant to accept bank drafts and release a car . Without the draft clearing. If the deal does not go through at the last minute you are left with reissuing the bank draft. Cash is king.
    You need to get the full left hand side of the V5-registration document. Get a receipt for full payment, written guarantee if given.
    Get a dated invoice showing the price of the car.

(4)No, have the car Hpi'd. It is very important to check its history and financial history, then drive it home.
    Temp insurance. It is available in the UK for a day or a week. I have never needed to get it so cannot answer nor do I know if you need to be a UK resident.
    (5) you have seven days to inform NCTS and thirty days from date of entering state to complete the VRT process.
    To save repetition if you click on my posts in this thread you will see the list of what you need from driving licence to pps number to proof of address. Remember €250 is the maximum amount of cash the NCTS office will handle so you will need a draft.
    It is not an offence to drive the car in the state while awaiting an NCTS inspection, assuming your insurance isvin order.

You do not need an NCT to tax the car. The plates have to be affixed within three days of clearing

This is a great thread for info but the problem is, as you've pointed out, the same topics and quedtions arise all the time.

But to be fair, you cannot expect a poster to go through every page to find the answer to their question.

It's a pity their isn't a sub forum for UK related stuff and stuff like VRT, AA inspections, auctions, methods of payment etc. could be split out into separate forums.

It would save people like you having to answer the same questions repeatedly.

This is an excellent thread that may answer some of your questions.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057127861/3/#post88891968

Another poster pretty much describes the whole process step by step.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 dubsmad

Thank you all for your responses (I know you have answered my questions before!!!)

So for peace of mind, bearing in mind its a private sale, once a HPI check and then an AA check comes up clear (or with very little faults) then that should be safe enough?

Would anyone have any recommendations of where about's to meet him, going to meet him half way. i.e A hotel, a motor garage?

I then need from him a Vr5 form, the warranty as its a kia, a receipt (is there anything particular- written or typed- with his name/address/signature/ date)

thanks everyone again for the help!!

djPSB wrote: »
    This is a great thread for info but the problem is, as you've pointed out, the same topics and quedtions arise all the time.

But to be fair, you cannot expect a poster to go through every page to find the answer to their question.

It's a pity their isn't a sub forum for UK related stuff and stuff like VRT, AA inspections, auctions, methods of payment etc. could be split out into separate forums.

It would save people like you having to answer the same questions repeatedly.
    People do not do a search and start new threads and then you have three or four threads on the one subject and confusion reigns then.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Bluebeard99

I have read many pages of this long thread, but can't find any answer to the following circumstances:

I am looking at importing a specific 2009/2010 Porsche from England, but before buying I need to have some rough idea as to what the VRT liability will be. Otherwise turning up at a VRO in Ireland opens up an unlimited liability to a capricious VRT assessment. There are strangely no Porsche models at all in the Revenue's online VRT estimator.

I emailed the Revenue's VRT section and got a lengthy but utterly uninformative reply, referring me to the Revenue's VRT manual. An appendix to that manual refers to calculation of VRT for types not sold in RoI. This relies on the ratio of the UK price of comparable models, given by Glass's Guide, to the Irish price given by either the "Car Sales Guide" or Revenue OMSP. This ratio is to be multiplied by the UK value of the model in question per Glass's Guide.

But Glass's Guide does not include any Porsche models. And I understand the Car Sales Guide is a trade-only publication.

Has anyone here been down this road?

Thank you all for your responses (I know you have answered my questions before!!!)

So for peace of mind, bearing in mind its a private sale, once a HPI check and then an AA check comes up clear (or with very little faults) then that should be safe enough?

Would anyone have any recommendations of where about's to meet him, going to meet him half way. i.e A hotel, a motor garage?

I then need from him a Vr5 form, the warranty as its a kia, a receipt (is there anything particular- written or typed- with his name/address/signature/ date)

thanks everyone again for the help!!
    There is no 100% guarantee that a car is free of finance.
    If a HPI check fails to register a lean on the car their insurance will reimburse you to aclimit of £30, 000.
    A big problem now is the log book loan deal. Never hand over money without the log book.
    Read about it here

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-2111066/Logbook-loan-second-hand-car-trap-One-outstanding-finance-YOU-liable.html
    Do not attempt to meet the seller anyplace other than at his home. Otherwise it is a big no no.
    You will need the V5 original document, not a copy.

The receipt / invoice needs to be dated and signed and to display the addressvof seller and the price of the car.
    The warranty. You need to get the "Warranty Information and Service Record" booklet.

I am assuming that you are buying a Kia that has been registered prior to February 2010. As you speaknof getting an N CT.

When the car was first registered is very important as different warranty periods apply depending when registered.
    The 1st generation Kia Proceed was introduced in December 2006. The 2007 to 2009 model 05my to 11my has a 10yr unlimited mileage warranty on anti perforation. They have a 100, 000 mile or seven year mechanical warranty.
    In the first three years the mileage is not a bar to the mechanical warranty.
    The book needs to be stamped as required and a Kia garage needs to inspect the body at the required intervals and to note same on the service book.
    It is not a requirement that the car is serviced at avmain dealer, but if not original oil filters etc have to be fitted and you may be required to show invoices to prove that the service was carried out

• Advertisement

corktina wrote: »
    you can no longer do that safely. In the UK now they have "Continuous Insurance" which means the car must be itself insured or SORNd. If it isn't on their database (which an Irish policy wouldn't) it is likely to be seized if spotted by one of the 8000 ANPR cameras. They'll seize it first and ask questions later. Not worth the risk.
    I don't think you can take out short term UK insurance without a UK address.

Continious insurance is indeed an issue in Great Britain, I.e England, Scotland and Wales.
    It does not apply to Northern Ireland.
    In GB continious insurance does not apply to a vehicle that is "exported"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement