Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street Fighter III (hits ps2)

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Roller Toaster

Check your pms mixie.

Placebo, when you say 2 on 1 do you mean the dramatic fights ala SFA3? I haven't tried anything other than standard mode yet. Bear in mind though I heard that Team Vs only works if player two selects the option otherwise it crashes, I'll try testing it the next time my friend is over.

Personally I prefer CvS2's Bison to the rest, I mean I just can't get over the fact that alpha's doesn't have psycho crusher as anything other than a super...plus hes a bit on the chubby side in alpha 3 :(

Dark Chun Li isn't working for me, she just plain refuses to show up on the select screen even with your file and ssf optimisation. Did you not notice though on the download page that it says that she comes from Alpha 2? I dunno what to do about her really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

team play works fine for me , 1 vs 2 , 2 vs 2, its all good.
    Alpha3 bison = chubby true, but that way he looks more like from the first animated movie, Big and strong and that Super is mega huge !

I didnt notice that(darkchun being from alpha2), hmmm i have alpha2 for pc somewhere, must play it again.
    You need to rename files to lowercase i think, some of em are in CAPS, although that doesnt always make a difference, il zip her and upload her in a sec.

edit : here we go
    http://minds.may.ie/~placebo/storage//darkchun.rar

i said edit her air file not sff, anyway just unzip that folder to chars and it should work perfectly.

i found that cd, eejit have it named Street fighter zero 3 and have KOF characters in it, problem being obviously wont work on xp, tryed using characters on win mugen but characters name were not in quotes(error) so i changed that but now the Command names are not in quotes (error) so i opened up the charname.CMD file and they have hell of a lot command name in there, tryed looking for programs tryed mfix, says it converts but file stays same, tryed autofix 1.1 , worked once but something messed up, now doesnt work at all.
    autofix *.* = cant find *.def ? or some stupid ****e, **** it.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

I'm just off to work, but has anyone tried http://openmugen.sourceforge.net/ ? It would seem to let you play them on the xbox. I must try this later if I get a chance.

thats still in development and far from complete, not sure if mugen can run on xbox, doesnt run 100% properly on windows even.

Heres the story behind win mugen for anyone intrested, i cant beleive all this had happened, i stoped using mugen ages ago and then came winXP so all hopes gone and mugen was dead for me, but apparently poor electbyte had something up their sleeves, i know its a long read but well worth it.
    touching story *sniff* <--no sarcasm
    The Story of WinMUGEN

Elecbyte had been asking for donations from people who were willing to support them and then started to work on a Windows version of MUGEN. On the 14th of April 2002, Elecbyte released their latest version of Linux MUGEN, after they had abandoned the DOS version earlier.

Around the same time, Elecbyte also sent e-mails to people who had donated money to them. Probably not to everyone, but to people who donated more than just their lunch money. Via e-mail, a link was sent and it was supposedly different for each person. Each person also received a user name and password to access the page the link lead to. What the link lead to was exactly this: a private beta version of WinMUGEN.

This version was basically the exact equivalent to the Linux version released around the same time - but for Windows. The catch?

1. A transparent blue box that read:

"M.U.G.E.N 2002.04.14 PRIVATE MU TEST.
    DISTRIBUTION STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
    THANK YOU FOR PARTICIPATING IN THIS TEST."

This box would always be present, except when an actual fight was going on. It disappeared only when the roundstate trigger was 2, if you will.

2. This version was limited.
    It accepted only 2 characters to be on the select screen at the same time. It also had limitations for the number of stages, and most play modes were disabled. No full motif support either.

The people who received this beta had to agree never to talk about it.

Nevertheless, as time passed an unknown number of people had been giving out their user names, passwords and links for WinMUGEN.

Elecbyte obviously noticed the increased number of logins or the increased bandwidth and eventually these links were changed. They were replaced - with a poem. This poem was about people doing something they should not be doing.

Some time later, what is believed to be the first public hack of the WinMUGEN version surfaced on the Internet.

http://www.geocities.com/elecbyte1 and http://www.geocities.com/elecbyte1/winmugen.html

This version was 2002.04.14 WinMUGEN, but modified and hacked. It had the blue box removed, and the version number changed to "M.U.G.E.N 2003 Beta V3.08.2 w2003.06.14b".
    "Elecbyte" in the main menu had been changed to "Elecbyte1".

We cannot be sure about what really made Elecbyte close their page in November 2003 after they announced they had encountered a "snag" in development. We imagine it were leaks and the hack that did it, but this is speculation. Not to mention that out of the thousands of people in MUGEN, only a handful really showed enough support to donate.

Elecbyte can certainly not be blamed for "abandoning" the community. If anything, it was the other way round. Leaks and hacks disrespected and abandoned Elecbyte. More and more people were whining about how they "needed" WinMUGEN, and that WinMUGEN would never be done, when in fact WinMUGEN already existed. It existed at least since early 2002.

In those years since 2002, the circle of people who had the original, unaltered WinMUGEN kept silent, except for the individuals who leaked and hacked. When the hack was discovered early on, the common policy was to keep silent. Out of respect for Elecbyte's wishes, the hack was not promoted, and people doing so were "persecuted."

It has to be said that during all that time, where each of the people who actually had WinMUGEN and who could have stood up anytime and release WinMUGEN to the public (and be a "hero" that way) - none did, except the person(s) involved in the hack.

There will not be a great listing of names, but you should know that, for example, people who were accused of being overly elitist and worse things were in fact entrusted with WinMUGEN - and were effectively "protecting" it for a long, long time.

And remarkably, most kept the secret a secret. It has been only lately that more and more information on WinMUGEN has been brought up.

The reason why people are now talking openly about it is simple, and just one:

The only real reason not to talk about WinMUGEN was because Elecbyte prohibited it. Elecbyte would certainly NOT release WinMUGEN to the public if their beta-testers would betray them. So they kept quiet.

But now, Elecbyte has been gone for a long time. Should they ever choose to return, the community will gladly welcome them back. But for now, just about everyone is convinced that "the community" is on its own.

Less and less computers are supporting DOS. The cores of the MUGEN creators have become elitist circles who barely progress anymore and keep mostly to themselves.

A few days ago, the version of WinMUGEN was fixed. This time, the 2 character limit was removed and all game modes are unlocked.

Decisions were made.

The time has come to talk openly about WinMUGEN. Therefore this text. And the time has come to rely on "ourselves," if we want the MUGEN engine (and a community) to live on. Therefore, the no limit version of Rou Hei is now promoted...

It could have ended up nice, id definatley would have payed a good price for this, if it went commercial. Could have ended up being perfect = 0 crashes, DANM IT !
    anyway alot of new things are being discovered like a new video mode, =4
    makes mugen more High res and if you scale your KFM character down to 0.5 , he looks very high res (guilt gear x style) but that means he will be half the size and your sprites will have to be bigger, anyway
    change your mode = 4
    and open up kfm.cns
    change:
    xscale = 0.5
    yscale = 0.5

and check it.

http://mugendev.shinmugen.net/
    mugen forum. ^ (or win mugen forum)

ALSO
    found this amazing character, same sprites as evil ryu from SvsC but all his supers are different, way better graphic effects
    http://members.ld.infoseek.co.jp/c_edit/CVS_SRyu.zip
    (took ages to find as his download page led to only source code of css and so on - appreciate it ;) )

z966.jpg

z963.jpg

z166.jpg

• Advertisement

Cool, thanks. I managed to get evil chun li working in the end but her rapid kick doesn't seem to work. I read somewhere that a dos character with a rapid move has to have a certain value changed for it to work but I'm not sure what that value is... My copy of Alpha 3 still hasn't come after 3 weeks, I'm starting to think the guy on ebay is up to no good.

lex diamonds, found a demo for melty blood, didnt work for me.
    it was either melty blood or zero fighters ?

roller_toaster : rapid kick ? not sure, kinda off mugen for a bit now.
    Alpha3 ? how much did u pay for that ? was just playing the rom there, the graphics look a bit pixelly on ps2, you can use filter son the rom, much harder though

Yeah I know what you mean, it's just not balanced or fluid enough to be anything more than a novelty. It's still great in multiplayer though.

As for SFA3 I paid about £5 for it or so on ebay for the gba. It's ok really, theres a lot of cuts and most shamefully the world tour mode is gone. Also pulling off certain moves is next to impossible on the gameboy and the game doesn't even come with a command list. I presume all that stuff is in the manual but when I say I picked it up cheap I mean it, no box or anything. It's a lot of fun though and the characters look great, it even includes some character sprites from CvS2.

Advertisement