Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street Fighter III (hits ps2)

Options
  • 23-07-2004 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

Ive been waiting for ever and its here FINALLY, NOT, only for japan, released yesterday, JULY 22nd, its comes in a special DVD the game will be bundled with a SFIII Gamest Strategy Guide, Special DVD (strategy guide with a collection of combos videos), and a 300 pcs SFIII Jigsaw Puzzle.
    I think Street Fighter III also comes as an extra in Hyper Street fighter: Anniversary edition. Some one please shed a release date for it, is it already out ?

heres the Jap one.
    sf3le.jpg
    Its took them 5 years ? it was out in 1999 in arcades, hit dreamcast in 2000.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I can't find anything About SF3 being released over here.

I think Street Fighter III also comes as an extra in Hyper Street fighter: Anniversary edition

Yeah this is true but only for the NTSC version of the game. Over here we get the SF2 animé while over in the US they get SF3 Thrid Strike instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Capcom will release Street Fighter Anniversary Collection for PlayStation 2 in US on August 16, along with 3 limited edtion controllers: Chun Li, Ken and Ryu. Each controller will sell for $24.99. The game will also come to Xbox on September 29, without limited edition controllers.

Street Fighter Anniversary Collection is comprised of Hyper Street Fighter II, a blend of the previous Street Fighter II editions which will incorporate the character variations and features found throughout the series, and the arcade smash hit Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike.

check em, do we get these in europe ? thats crap the way we dont get SF3.

http://the-magicbox.com/0406/SFAE3.jpg

definatley would buy that, the ps2 one is pants.
    more on http://the-magicbox.com/0406/game062704b.shtml
    great site for latest news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Roller Toaster

I know this thread is about the PS2 version but God I can't wait for the Xbox itteration of this. I mean Capcom Vs SNK 2 was rushed out for Xbox Live hence the shoddy interface but it's still awesome to play so hopefully with the amount of effort that they seem to be putting into the AE will mean that AE online will be out of this world. Hell, I've been playing SSF2: The New Challengers for the last 2 weeks in preparation for September. I've never actually played SF3 though so it's virgin territory for me. CvS2 has already lasted me well over a year, god knows how long I'll be bashing away at this for. Hopefully the community will be better than CvS2's though.

I have Sf3 3rd Strike for the Dreamcast. Its good but nothing special really, it plays well and the sound effects and music are decent. My problem is with the characters to put it bluntly they're terrible. There's a few good new characters but the rest are crap 'freak' characters who look like they belong more in Dalkstalkers than anything else or stupid knock-offs of earlier SF characters. I'd rather CvsS2 any day.

You gotta love that they brought back the special stages though! :D

Just my 2 cents.

yeah its too late to be releasing it, like if they had cut that alpha bull**** and released this and all the knock of VS marvel VS x men VS Snk, 3 should have came out for consoles the time it was in the arcade and basically then 4 or maybe after 3 they should have gone for the VS titles OR ontop of that they release many different versions of each game, theres like SF3:double impact and theres one for the arcade etc.
    Alpha 3 was horrible, even if they release Street fighter 4 now, i doubt it will take off, might aswell stick to the ol VS titles now and make button bashing games, Capcom fighting Jam here i come.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Creature
    My problem is with the characters to put it bluntly they're terrible. There's a few good new characters but the rest are crap 'freak' characters who look like they belong more in Dalkstalkers than anything else or stupid knock-offs of earlier SF characters.

Yeah I have to agree, for whatever reason Capcom seemed to lose it's talent for designing really great characters after Street Fighter 2. Just look at the new challengers with the likes of T.Hawk and DeeJay who are both farely useless and lack the personality of the original cast. Cammy and FeiLong are fairly good but they're not exactly up there with the likes of Blanka. I don't think it will affect 3's gameplay that much because as you said most of the characters seem to be based on 2's.
    Originally posted by Placebo
    Stuff followed by SFA3 blasphemy

How can you say it's too late to release them. 3 was released on the DC 12 months or so after it's arcade appearance which seems standard to give the game enough time to make money in the arcades so this isn't the first time it's been out. If you're trying to say that they're being released on the current generation too late then the whole point of this package is that it's an anniversary edition so I really don't get what you're trying to say.

Also, Alpha 3 is an awesome game, I don't know how anyone who likes fighting games could dislike that, it gives a huge amount of playability and is one of the few beat-em ups with a brilliant single player game. What exactly do you not like about A3? I don't think it's ever too late to release SF4 but the point is that what can they do to make 4 stand out apart from just redoing the sprites?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

HYPER MEGA ULTRA LEET SUPER STREET FIGHTER III!!

anyone think the naming of these games (which all seem to be nearly the same) is getting a bit out of hand?

Originally posted by Roller Toaster

Also, Alpha 3 is an awesome game, I don't know how anyone who likes fighting games could dislike that, it gives a huge amount of playability and is one of the few beat-em ups with a brilliant single player game. What exactly do you not like about A3?

I agree completely. SFA 3 is definitely one of the best games I have ever had the privilege to play. Aside from a few bad characters (Juni and Juli anyone) its pretty much flawless in my eyes. Besides Guile's stage in that game = best background ever tbh. :D

Also, Alpha 3 is an awesome game, I don't know how anyone who likes fighting games could dislike that, it gives a huge amount of playability and is one of the few beat-em ups with a brilliant single player game. What exactly do you not like about A3? I don't think it's ever too late to release SF4 but the point is that what can they do to make 4 stand out apart from just redoing the sprites?

Alpha 3 is pretty much equivlant of Mortal Kombat Trilogy, all characters shuved into 1 game, Unlike Alpha2, i thought it was brilliant, but when you have every single player in the game, the game loses all meaning.

More characters means more fightinging options, more fighting options lead to more varied games, more varied games mean less people who just pick Ryu/Ken over and over and over. Are you really saying that you'd rather play, say SvC: Chaos over CvS 2 simply because it has less characters?
    Originally posted by Creature
    I agree completely. SFA 3 is definitely one of the best games I have ever had the privilege to play. Aside from a few bad characters (Juni and Juli anyone) its pretty much flawless in my eyes. Besides Guile's stage in that game = best background ever tbh. :D

Yeah I actually picked it up on ebay for the gba the other day so I'm looking forward to playing it sprawled under some tree out my back garden. All they need now is a Live version of A3. Speaking of Live, you wouldn't happen to play CvS2 online would you? Having to put up with the unwashed mases who constantly drop games because they're losing and pick the same characters over and over is getting tiring.

• Advertisement

You said u didnt understand what i was trying to say "releasing it after 5 years" they released is sepratley in japan, it doesnt come as an extra !

as for sfa 3, yes too many players make the game congested, look at marvel vs capcom 2, only reason that even looks remotley good is due the massive supers and over 50 combos.
    SFA3 just seemed liked it was aiming at supers etcs, i just played street fighter 3 there few sec back and i have to say its a brilliant game, its all back to the basics, fighting, SFA3 even took away chunlis spinning bird kick :( , i dont know it doesnt do it for me anyway, id pick SFA2 over 3 anyday and yes CVS:Chaos is a much better game than SFA3.

How can you say you say that? SvC: Chaos is a broken game period. It has hit box issues, balance issues (top tier characters like Iori are unstoppable) and has generally been dismissed as being a terrible game so how you can say it's better than SFA3 just because A3 features more characters is beyond me.

I agree that MvC2 goes over board in terms of characters especially when so many of the characters are broken (15 or so of the characters dominate the other 40 without hesitation) but I think it's unfair to try and ground A3 with that game since A3 is clearly a more technical game than MvC2.

well ive just played the rom for SVC:Chaon and i didnt see any problems with it, compared to SFA3 its something new, all the sprites are pretty much new, SFA3 is just dumped with characters from 1 + 2, SFA3 doesnt play much different from the previous 2 released either !

Playing SVC for a bit is fun but after intensive play it's faults become apparent. Just because 3 doesn't play differently to the previous two doesn't mean it's somehow inferior and I for one am happy to have so many characters in one game especially when they're the upgraded sprites that capcom are still using today.

Also I've found something to keep me busy until Street Fighter 3 hits. Take a look at this puppy. It's called win mugen and I don't think I can link to it here directly but do a quick search on google for it and you'll find it. Unfortunately you'll have to collect the characters yourself since I can't host them and the site I got that set off is gone. Although I'm not sure you'd like it since it features more than 8 characters :p I'll post some more shots in game later if you want.

mugen1.jpg

mugendesktop.jpg

hey thanks,
    ive been following mugen since its fall, amazing piece of thing until they started bringing licenses in and then suddenly switched to linux, now its only for linux, old versions barley run on XP, i collected a few fighters and tryed winmugen and apprently, winmugen only allows you to add 2 players for the time being :eek: :(

**** ! theres a no limit patch !~!!!!!!!! and i just deleted all my characters the other DAY !!!!!!!!! noooooooooo

Well when I said I couldn't host them I just meant en masse...if theres stuff you want then I can help you out. At the moment I have 161 stages and 243 characters... I'm hoping to bump up the character list to 270 and replace some of the repeats/rubbish characters within the next week or two. I also need to get the basic Street Fighter 2 stages in as I think I only have about 3 of them currently.

Mugen never really hit the mainstream so I didn't think it was that well known, win mugen definitely isn't as it's just a new release. I have to say I've been really impressed with win mugen, yes it's a bit unstable but theres been no game stopping stuff other than that and it gets rid of all the problems with the old dos version. Getting the big character screens takes a bit of doing and can lead to a lot of difficulties but it's well worth it. If you want I can pm you some of the links to motifs and other such get arounds to selection screen limit.

I now declare this thread to be the post random cool win mugen pictures thread.

wmhomero.jpg

Lol that looks ****ing class! Is it hard to set up? Whats it like to play and how much storage space are we talking about here?

Why haven't I seen anything about this before??!

Speaking of Live, you wouldn't happen to play CvS2 online would you?
    Sorry man I have the game for PS2 not Xbox, though if I do get it in the future I'll give you a shout.

easy to setup, WinMugen = 5 mb, each character depends, most are around 3-4mb. Just need to add characters names in this .def ? or .ini (cant remember) file.

Roller_toaster, them links would well come in handy, please to send when your not busy, thanks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Anyone heard of Melty Blood? Some fan made 2d fighter, tis meant to rock.

http://www.typemoon.org/melt/

If anyone has d/l links for it, pm me please. :)

• Advertisement

that looks great, i might have some links il send em after work.

Creature wrote:
    Lol that looks ****ing class! Is it hard to set up? Whats it like to play and how much storage space are we talking about here?

It's not hard to set up but there is quite a bit of .def file altering done through notepad which is a bit confusing at first.

I had a bit of difficulty getting the music to work until I realised that I hadn't added the music to the list file in the sound folder and the music was set to one which I presumed just meant on but actually meant that the music was at it's lowest volume so I changed the value to 255 or so.

It's awesome to play. Today I had a 3 and a half hour play against someone on this pc. We were both using usb controllers and the game recognised both easily enough. Multiplayer seems to be solid as a rock and didn't crash once the entire time we were playing. Single player on the other hand is a lot less stable and seems to crash randomly but still not enough that it ever really spoils it. I heard something about the game engine overloading after rendering 60,000 frames of animation but that doesn't seem to hold true so far. In terms of the game engine it plays like a mix between Alpha 3 and Marvel Vs Capcom 2 but since each character is different you can't really generalise that much.

My folder is 1.57gbs so yeah it's pretty hefty but pick up 2 cheap joypads such as the excellent Saitek P880 controller and you're sorted for months to come.

Anyway heres more pictures from today's multiplayer match-up:

Mugen makes all those what if questions come true:
    msvr.jpg

Balance can sometimes be a problem in multiplayer especially when one of you is a gigantic screen filling robot that can nuke the entire screen from orbit and the other one is some tiny handcuffed convict.
    mugencody.jpg

Also check your pms Placebo.

sorry about late reply, been busy mugening ;)
    i got winmugen recently and realised it only allowed 2 , until now when i stumbled across the no limit patch, is that what you have been using, winmugen is very stable, hasnt crashed once. I followed the link you gave but most sections are broken, i found an amazing link recently but its down at the moment , so il send you guys the ones i am using now.
    Thanks for your motif but i dont think i will need it as of yet since i dont have enough players, some of em are not showing up properly on the screen menu, youll notice in the screen shots :( anyway to fix those ?
    some players wouldnt show sprites properly so i used CharSffDtoW, which converts dos version character *.sff files to windows, which make them work.
    Another thing is the Arcade mode, anyway to make it big ? it ends after 1 battle ? it would be great to set the matches like have the end match as Julie and maybe bison as a team battle 2 vs 1. enough yap, heres my screens

mugen1.jpg
    too good to be true ? :)

mugen7.jpg

mugen8.jpg

mugen3.jpg

mugen4.jpg

I cant tell by your screen shots but have you changed the video filter to bilinear filtering ? because it makes it look much better, i am currently using 800x600 [32] and full screen with strech at 0 and bilinear filtering, resolution any higher than 800x600 doesnt work for me !
    ;Set this parameter to use a resolution-doubling filter. You will
    ;need a fast machine to use these filters. You will need to increase
    ;the screen resolution to at least 640x480 for these modes.
    ;0 - off
    ;1 - diagonal edge detection
    ;2 - bilinear filtering
    ;3 - horizontal scanlines
    DoubleRes = 2

above screens were with the filter on,
    Without
    mugen5.jpg
    looks nice, But only when in small screen !

again without, full screen
    mugen6.jpg

back to filter
    mugen2.jpg

this Snk vs capcom Ken has to be the best character ive downloaded(pic below)
    mugen9.jpg

one last thing, do you have dark chunli ? and ken by yan kazami or some dude (back in the day those 2 were deadly, now i cant find them anywhere)

Found her, Brilliant character she always has that red shadow following her, is she an actuall hidden character ?
    anyway it was on the website which was down (now, back up and running, il send you link)
    mugen11.jpg

[only thing to figure out now is how to extend the arcade mode since it ends after 1 match, i hope its not a limit winmugen put on]

I have the same menu corruption for certain characters such as CvS' Chang but it doesn't seem to affect their in game character so I haven't bothered trying to fix them. I would have suggested that sff thing but it seems you've already tried that. The second torrent I got is proving difficult to install...well not difficult, just slow since I have to run each character through the ssf optimiser to correct palette problems and then have to test them to see if they work (I'd say 4/5 work fine with the rest causing problems)

As for the battle number thing you need to go into the select.def and scroll down to the very bottom and you'll get this:
    [Options]
    ;Here you set the maximum number of matches to fight before game ends
    ;in Arcade Mode. The first number is the number of matches against
    ;characters with order=1, followed by order=2 and order=3 respectively.
    ;For example, for 4,3,1 you will fight up to 4 randomly-picked
    ;characters who have order=1, followed by 3 with order=2 and 1 with
    ;order=3.
    arcade.maxmatches = 6,1,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0

;Maximum number of matches to fight before game ends in Team Mode.
    ;Like arcade.maxmatches, but applies to Team Battle.
    team.maxmatches = 8,1,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0

Ten is about right for me, I think the reason your version is so stable is because you have to return to the select screen after each match which flushes the memory...it's the same reason that I don't crash in multiplayer. I've found that with 10 though the chances of crashing are low and you still get 10 good fights in.

I put on the filter and increased the resolution to 800x600. For some crazy reason I thought that the resolution had to be in multiples of 320x240 or whatever it was. It looks a hell of a lot nicer too.

Dark Chun Li looks pretty awesome, if you could send me the links to her and whatever else you've got that'd be great.

Heres some more pictures.

Bilinear filtering on at 800x600. Sonic is a brilliant character, you basically have a set number of rings and if you lose them it's game over. The offset is that hes very hard to hit and can also get power ups like shields by using his special bar.

bilin.jpg

SvC's Dhalsim is great, I love the way his leg whips back when you do his stretch attack.

dhalsim.jpg

Possibly the most disturbing background I've ever seen in a beat-em up...I don't know where it came from and I'm not sure I want to know.

fetusofgod.jpg

Heres all the kens I have, I also have the other one from CvS that you have so I didn't bother with that. Is one of these the one you're looking for?

kens.jpg

Mukurro is one of my favourite new characters, hes like voldo with a massive blade that slices and dices people with gallons of blood ensuing

mukuro.jpg
    mukuro2.jpg

This is the Chun Li I thought you were talking about from SvC Chaos. Shes not quite as good as CvS' version but I like her redrawn KOF look.

svcchunli.jpg

I updated scorpion to make him stick in more. I think this model is a lot better than the old one and comes with some nifty fatalities that are pulled off by double quarter circles ala ssf2.

svr2.jpg

Chomp from Yoshi's Island is overpowered but still a great addition...he can wipe someone out in 5 seconds and I'm thinking of using him as an alternate boss to someone like bison etc.

chomp.jpg

Is there any other characters you're looking for? I could send you some of the novelty ones which are harder to find than the standard ones. Or maybe we could swap some backgrounds, I've got a mix of crazy stuff and standard KOF stuff.

swap will be great, check your pm, il send you the link to the website with the darkchunli on it, a must have (she is )
    Thanks alot for the info on how to change the number of battels, crashing thinks is pants, hope it doesnt crash, il try it now, is there a way to set a boss ?
    il post some screens in a sec, sonic looks nice, in a weird way ;)
    i think that ken i'm looking for is the Ken and Gang one, i am not sure.
    [also that first pic you posted off evil ken, hes messed up, as in not finished, when you do the spinning kick thing, he goes off in the air and keeps going, also same with his special, it never stops, even after you die]
    Also what kind of music are you using in background ? if any

thanks again

P.s : when i ran dark chunli, i got an error, in the air file. so i opened it with note pad and followed the error and apparently there is a weird character in 1 of the lines, so i deleted that and then she worked, so il upload her air file.

check your pm for her link.

ok tryed that arcade thing it worked, great stuff, although i dont understand the order crap.
    Just gazed at your pink background there properly, disturbing, very disturbing indeed. Apprently i am getting an error now, background error, doesnt say which though, gonna delete ones that never showed up i guess.

edit : pics
    mugen13.JPG

mugen14.JPG

mugen12.JPG

edit2 : that background you have, pink one, found some info on it
    Name: Fetus of god
    Download: Click here
    Documentation: Click here
    Origin: Vampire savior
    Last update: 29 / 9 -02
    Dimensions: 960x220
    Size: ~314 kb

can we not post links here ? mugen isnt warez.

Hmmm I guess we can post links, it's probably just the program itself that is unlinkable since it's a leaked alpha and it's future seems to be hazy. The thing is though that most if not all of my characters are torrented so I don't have that many links. If a mod has a problem with linking to mugen sites he can edit out the address I suppose.

When I say crash I mean it just says this program illegal etc...I don't mean a hard crash so I just double click the short cut and I'm right back in there. I had another 3 hour multiplayer session this afternoon without a hic-up even with 20ish new dos characters.

For creating bosses you need to give them a higher priority than the regular characters. I haven't gotten around to this yet but it wasn't too hard to do back with my old system.def file. Heres the bit that tells you what to do:
    ; - order
    ; Set the paramvalue to the ordering priority to give the
    ; character. Valid values are from 1 to 10. A smaller value
    ; means you will fight the character sooner. You will never
    ; fight an order 2 character before an order 1 character,
    ; and never an order 3 character before an order 2 one.
    ; For example, you might want to set your boss character
    ; to have order=3. The default order value is 1 if you omit
    ; this param. See *.maxmatches under [Options] for how to
    ; limit the number of matches per order priority.

My evil ken seems fine, I just tested him now and all his moves work perfectly. Maybe hes been updated since the version you were using. Hes a bit overpowered compared to a lot of other fighters but not exactly up there with mech gouki/akuma or alpha ryu in terms of total dominance.

Music-wise I have 153 or so files, most of them are mp3 and about 15 or so are midi files. The music is wildly variable, a lot of my KOF stages have been upgraded to have CvS2 era music in the background while some older Last/Blade or Garou: Mark of the Wolves still have the traditional music style. Mp3 volume seems to depend on the master computer volume instead of the in game settings for whatever reason, probably because the dos version might not have supported mp3s. Do you know a quick and easy way to reduce the fighting sound effects besides manually altering each file? My effects seem a little higher than the music at times.

I don't know where Dark Chun Li came from...maybe shes an original. Some of the first versus games like X-Men Vs Street Fighter had hidden palette swapped characters like Mecha Zangief so she might come from one of those games.

What controller are you playing with? That super you pulled off with evil ryu (double half circle forward + punch I think...) is next to impossible to pull off on my pad.

Also make sure to make regular back ups of your data folders etc just in case.

How many backgrounds have you got at the moment?

Random picture time:

Juggers versus a paletted swapped mario to the music of Aerosmith's walk this way.

juggervmario.jpg

Cammy's in hot water now after messing with my generic ryu clone #7 character.

cammy.jpg

hey
    heres darkchulins .air file, replace that with the one you download, if your downloading from (mugenantion - i pmed you the link)
    http://minds.may.ie/~placebo/storage//darkchun.air

il check out the priority thanks for that.
    I might just add some music, seems a bit dull without the background music, i am unaware of how to decrease the sound effetcs, 1 or 2 characters sounds are pretty loud comapred to the rest alright ! Might just get some good theme for the character select seen (like MvsC 2)

i am just using keybaord at the moment, might stick in usb - pc to ps2 controller thing once i set up everything.

Definatley gonna make a backup , apprently friend was in asia and back in the day he bought a cd and they had SNK vs Capcom and we checked it turned out to be mugen, i remember copying the cd, so gonna have a look for that.

I have around 7-8 backgrounds, but i stumbled upon this http://ngmc.retrogames.com , some nice ones, so gonna have around 20 now id say.

is it possible to go from arcade 1 vs 1 to, 1 vs 2 ?

mugen15.JPG

mugen16.JPG
    team mode looks great, ken + ryu vs bison a classic.
    i was using alpha3 rom i think and i used some cheat in menu and it turned out ryu+ken vs mbison, mbison from sfa3 is quite mifty but this was , i think snk vs capcom one is quite good too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

How have I never come across this before?

Thanks guys, this looks really cool, gonna go have a google :)

Advertisement